Orange Coast College

cruiser

Orange Coast College

Post by cruiser » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:28 pm

The OCC HC had ANOTHER losing season. OCC used to be one of the premier JCFB teams around,when are the powers at be going to fire this guy? I don't think the guy has even had a .500 season in 6-7 years?

OCC SHOULD have in most years one of the better JCFB teams in the state.

longtimeobserver

Re: Orange Coast College

Post by longtimeobserver » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Coaches in JC don't get fired!!! No one really cares if they have a winning program or not. It's not
like it was back 40 years ago when JC ball was competitive and I remember SAC filling the bowl for
every game. There are so many other things that a family can do now that JC athletics is probably at
the bottom of the list. Look how little support high school teams get except for the elite programs or
the private schools. Mission Viejo's attendance at the MD game is a reflection of not having a wide
range of loyal followers. This was the GAME OF THE YEAR in the county #1 vs. #2 and their fans couldn't
drive 17 miles to the game. The stadium location is right next to the Police Station and the County
Courthouse. Great parking close by and police supervision available. Using the excuse of the
"image of Santa Ana" etc. is ludicrous. MD has been playing all their games at the stadium since
the school opened and has NEVER had a problem!!!! I got off subject SORRY!!!!

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Ya, Good points,longtimeobserver

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:05 am

LTO - Only a select few privates have a good following.. JSerra may have it in another 10 years, SMEagles don't have and there is no excuse for it.
I didn't go to the Servite vs. Westlake game but I was told there were just as many Servite fans as Westlake (and that was 140 miles roundtrip).
Servite and I'm sure Mater Dei does a really good job of keeping alumni involved... It isn't just a 4 year investment.

JUCO's are just 2 years and its gotta be tough keeping the support, especially when they move on to a 4 year university.
--:--

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm

The OCC HC is finally going to be replaced, don't know how he has lasted this long; OCC used to
be one of he premier JC FB programs in CALI - All his assistants are scattering. I see one is a
finalist for the Trabuco Hills High HC job.

There are some hi-pro HS HC's who should check this out. You need a masters degree though and
I believe you qualify for a minimum pension after just five years!

Country

Post by Country » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:06 pm

maybe Groots will join the MD staff.

fttank

Post by fttank » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Looks like Kevin Emerson has turned the program around with a 4-1 division record including a win last night against #1 State ranked Goldenwest.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Ya, noticed that; OCC (5-1) could have actually finished as a tri-league champion if Golden
West (who was state#1 before OCC beat them) had beaten Saddleback college last
night. OCC still gets a bowl game though as the conference runner up.

Two of last year's MD players start for OCC on offense. (Losoya-Oline and Coley-WR)sp?

ColSixPack

Post by ColSixPack » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:38 am

I wouldn't start singing his praises just yet. I have heard from some administrators at a couple of JC's that OCC is going to be handed a punishment for some kind of violation. They wouldn't clarify if it was recruiting, or otherwise. There was also some incident involving Golden West( as the victim), but I couldn't get it out if that was related to the potential OCC sanctions. JC football is by far the dirtiest sport out there. Some of these coaches are just plain crooks. For example, the coach that is facing criminal charges who was at RCC after Fullerton JC, and bounced around some local high schools before that. He allegedly slept with a registrar and had transcripts forged on a number of players. The oversight at the JC level makes the NCAA look tame.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:50 pm

...if OCC is on tap to get a violation, it's not affecting this season; since they are
playing in a bowl game tomorrow, fyi

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:55 pm

On a side note, the Golden West HC is probably crying now that he has to compete for the
best area players,something he hasn't had to do since he became the HC there!

I still have never figured out why the Coast Community College District funds two
FB programs that are 6-7 miles apart, it's probably the only CCD that does it.
Your tax dollars at work. It also splits the District's talent in half, more so now with
the new OCC HC.

ColSixPack

Post by ColSixPack » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:49 pm

They have to go through due process. Any titles would be vacated later. Sort of like they did to Bakersfield College.

ColSixPack

Post by ColSixPack » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:46 am

Here it is fellas. LA Times( Pilot) article about sanctions at OCC. Says there was an institutional lack of control with a number of programs. They'll appeal of course.

latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-me-0303-occ-sports-teams-postseason-ban-20160302-story.html

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Apparently in the end after appeal only the FB team is affected, will be on probation, not eligible
for bowl games in the upcoming season all other OCC athletic teams eligible for post season play, etc
Does anyone know the main cause of the FB probation? How does one get burned for recruiting on
the JC level when any HS graduate or 18 year old can play at any JC they want? (unless they were
enrolled somewhere else first, still have to attend a certain number of classes to count as being actively
enrolled)

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Was that reported somewhere, cruiser? All I can find is a statement from the OCC President who says that their appeal was denied.

http://www.orangecoastcollege.edu/news/ ... b9890c3abe
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:20 am

Fordama - It was in the OC Register and Daily Pilot probably a month or two ago, I believe; It was a small column article in the papers, actually I read it wrong my former post said the other OCC sports teams
would not be on probation, they are until spring of 2018 but are eligible for post season play, fyi

Just google OCC football probation if you want more into, the ruling came down in May apparently.