USC QB Wittek to Transfer

RedFred

USC QB Wittek to Transfer

Post by RedFred » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:47 am

"USC backup quarterback Max Wittek has informed the Trojans' new coaching staff that he intends to skip spring practice, graduate at the end of the semester and transfer to another school, he told the Los Angeles Times."

I think everyone saw this coming. I also really like the rule that a player who has graduated can play immediately elsewhere. Nice job by Max to finish in 4 years and give himself this opportunity.

not4u13

Re: USC QB Wittek to Transfer

Post by not4u13 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:46 am

Hopefully he will find a place where he will get some playing time. From what I have seen, he doesn't have the skills to play at the next level. Perhaps with playing time he can gain valuable experience and prove me wrong. Hope he does.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 am

RedFred wrote: Nice job by Max to finish in 4 years and give himself this opportunity.

Max is actually graduating in 7 semesters, or 3 1/2 years. He must have really busted his hump in the classroom to get his degree that quickly.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 am

At this point,probably the best choice for him, I think he will still have two years of eligibility left?
He had his chances at USC. Hopefully things will work out better for him on another team.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 am

That is a cool rule. Wittek was not a great HS QB so I was surprised he went to SC. Did he leave Mater Dei early?

fballcoach5

Post by fballcoach5 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21 am

I believe he got to join USC in Spring of his Senior year at Mater Dei, so he probably took advantage with school. Wittek had his moments of course coach helped him run up his stats in some games against poor teams. He started at Mater Dei for a few seasons, i think that alone got SC interested.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue May 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Anyone hear of where Wittek is transferring to? -- has USC had its commencement yet?

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue May 27, 2014 3:03 pm

He isn't graduating until next semester now, so looks like he won't be transferring anywhere yet.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Ya, actually just read about it today. - apparently he is short credits for graduation. You would think
he or someone would have figured out what he needed to graduate as needed for this semester.
Is summer school an option? Texas wanted him and Hawaii had saved a scholarship for him if he
decided to go there. (Hawaii wanted him bad, the word is)

He could go to a lower division and play immediately but probably not what he wants to do.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Ya, actually just read about it today. - apparently he is short credits for graduation. You would think he or someone would have figured out what he needed to graduate as needed for this semester
Honestly you would be surprised at how many consistent mistakes counselors make on what classes you need and which classes count toward your degree. I had to stay an extra year because it happened to me twice.

One - where because they eliminated the class it no longer counted toward the degree, I had to take a different course.

Two - My AP credit from HS counted but it counted for a class that could not be applied to my major despite being told that it would.

So I had to stay an extra 2 semesters taking a class per semester because of that. It was extremely frustrating and has me put little faith in overworked and underpaid academic counselors at large schools.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

afan95

Post by afan95 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Noto,
USC uses a very detailed program that tells each student what classes are necessary for their degrees, what classes they've taken or not taken, and GPAs. It's available to students 24 hours per day. For certain degrees, they even tell you what classes you need to take to get in their own graduate programs.
If anyone believes that Max Wittek was screwed by a college counselor into thinking that he had enough credits to graduate in 3.5 years, they're flat out wrong. Any problem with Max not being eligible to graduate was due to poor planning on his part, unrealistic expectations about being the starting QB after Matt Barkley, or a combination of both.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:00 pm

USC uses a very detailed program that tells each student what classes are necessary for their degrees, what classes they've taken or not taken, and GPAs. It's available to students 24 hours per day. For certain degrees, they even tell you what classes you need to take to get in their own graduate programs.
If anyone believes that Max Wittek was screwed by a college counselor into thinking that he had enough credits to graduate in 3.5 years, they're flat out wrong. Any problem with Max not being eligible to graduate was due to poor planning on his part, unrealistic expectations about being the starting QB after Matt Barkley, or a combination of both.
Every major college has a detailed program on what they need, the problem comes in the details. If Max Wittex is smart enough to graduate in 3.5 years I think he'd be smart enough to be able to properly plan and not announce that he was able to graduate and transfer/play immediately.

I also didn't say he was screwed by a college counselor, I was just giving a reason why he may have thought/been told he was eligible to graduate and he isn't.

His athletic success/failure expectation has nothing to do with this conversation as far as graduating is concerned. Not sure why you brought it up.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:09 am

You took AP classes???? Nerd.

I never went to a counselor for help choosing classes. Best decision I ever made.

AllGasNoBrakes

Post by AllGasNoBrakes » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:04 pm

cruiser wrote:At this point,probably the best choice for him, I think he will still have two years of eligibility left?
He had his chances at USC. Hopefully things will work out better for him on another team.
Thats the way to go for kids who realistically arent going to play in the NFL. Get all the way to a masters degree with academic help for free.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:28 pm

So far, seems Wittek made a good choice transferring to the University of Hawaii.
...had three TD passes in a win over Colorado in his first start since leaving USC.