Dick Stuetz headed to the Big Sled in the Sky

Luca

Dick Stuetz headed to the Big Sled in the Sky

Postby Luca » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Dick Stuetz, the long time offensive line coach for Saddleback College back when they won 3 national championships, passed away at home yesterday.

It was always a curiosity to me how he could be such an outstanding D line coach when he was only about 5'8" and about 165 pounds himself. He was probably the most affable football coach both on and off the field that I have ever known. He was a technician, not a screamer...... which I suppose is essential when you are that size and all your players are all at least 100 pounds heavier than you.

Together with Ken Swearingen, Mac Moore, Don Butcher, Bill Cunerty, Bob Bosanko and a few others they made a formidable coaching staff and had the top JC program in the country for going on a decade or so. One of my fondest members with those guys was putting together a JC All Star team to play the first exhibition football game ever played in Hong Kong. We would have had the first one ever played in Beijing also except it was a week after Tienamen Square and those bunch of clowns were the last thing China needed at that time.

Up until a month ago you could find Dick hanging around Saddleback College watching the high school and Saddleback football games. The man was invariably in good humor and always made you feel like greeting you was the highlight of his day. There aren't many people sincerely like that. Until the end he kept his illness secret from his long-time friends and never let on how uncomfortable he had to have been. When my time comes I hope I can emulate his courage. I can never hope to emulate his character..............Luca

VKH

Re: Dick Stuetz headed to the Big Sled in the Sky

Postby VKH » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:48 pm

This is very sad news. Coach Dick Stuetz was a wonderful man and coach. His legacy is in the character of the young men and women he inspired. We are proud he was our friend and colleague for over 30 years. Bless his family, he will be missed by all who knew him.

Return to “College”