It's what's wrong with Baseball

not4u13

It's what's wrong with Baseball

Postby not4u13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:50 am

I decided to sit down and enjoy some of the college World Series regional games yesterday. Two games played in Long Beach were excellent, by baseball standards. UCLA vs. San Diego State (UCLA was eliminated) and Long Beach State vs. Texas (Texas gets the W).

Here's the problem. The UCLA loss took 13 innings and the Dirtbags loss went 12. That was over 9 hours of baseball in just two games. There were plenty of baserunners and some drama throughout the game, but who has 9 hours to just sit and watch?

I also watched the Women's softball and that seemed to go much better. They only have 6 innings and get right to pitching the ball. Baseball is dying a slow death. Interest is waning. Revenues are down. They tried to make some changes to speed up the game but the purists don't want to change.

Why do you have to throw the four pitches when you know it's going to be an intentional walk. Just give the guy the base.
Why not call a delay of game on the pitcher or the hitter if they don't keep a pace of 20 seconds or less between pitches. Delay of game on the pitcher is the same a balk. On the hitter, it's the same as a called strike. I mean basketball has a shot clock.
Eliminate trips to the mound. There are enough hand signals for crying out loud. Nobody but the current fielders, batter and on deck member are allowed on the field during an inning for any reason except injury.
Here's an idea. Instead of going extra innings. Turn it into a home run derby. No fielders. Treat it like a shoot out. Bring up your guy. Have your pitcher throw to your own guys. 10 pitches each team. Each team picks their own hitter. Whoever hits the most home runs, wins. You tie, pick another hitter and do another round.
Set a maximum lead off of 4 feet off the base and stop allowing the pitcher to throw over. The runner can steal, but they've got to be more creative. Catcher can still throw behind the running to catch them napping. Runner must still return to bag between pitches to tag up.
Pitcher gets no more than three pitches after a pitching change unless the change was caused by injury.

Something has to be done to get these games to under 3 hours max per game.

Fordama

Re: It's what's wrong with Baseball

Postby Fordama » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm for the timing of pitches and for the limits on trips to the mound. I don't think those changes will alter the spirit of the game.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Ya, baseball has become boring at the college and pro level, Agree that pitchers should have a
certain amount of time to pitch the ball instead of all the crap they do once they get the ball
back from the catcher.
Women's softball goes a little faster but could be improved also.

A new rule needs to be devised if games go into extra innings, so the game doesn't last forever.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:41 am

I threw out a home run derby type of "overtime" option. Surprised nobody has reacted to that. It's sort of strange, but I was trying to think of an NHL shootout type of approach. Soccer seems very popular and they have the goal kicks. Since there isn't a goal to defend, maybe a home run derby.

I've been watching a few more games and trying to figure out what changes would pick up the pace. Even if the duration of the 9 inning game doesn't shrink a lot, if the action were more consistent during the game, it would feel less boring.

Of course, if you are a real baseball nut you understand those pauses are part of a strategy. Baseball is a mental game. Many decisions are going into each pitch. That rises when there are baserunners and decisions are highly dependent on a number of factors such as score, inning, batter, batting order, strike zone and even the weather. I think the game could get much more interesting if you forced these decisions to be made much quicker.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Ya,and actually why not just let a baseball game be recorded as a tie if that is, what it is, at the end of
regulation play during the regular season? You would have to devise a couple of new stats for
pitchers but I'm thinking that's about it.

Playoffs,teams would play until one wins.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Not4u13, I apologize for the slow response, but I’ve been an MLB fan since the mid- or late-1960’s, and there are many things about the game that have always been pet peeves of mine. So I’ll list them below. I also think in the modern world, when attention spans can only be stretched to 15 seconds or 140 characters, the game needs to change or die. When the Anaheim Ducks were playing the Nashville Predators in the NHL playoffs a few weeks, ago, I switched between the Ducks game and the Angels game a few times and the differences were shocking. So here goes:

1. Intentional walk. I agree that an intentional walk should be gestured rather than requiring four pitches. It’s already being done in MLB, but not at most of the lower levels.

2. 20 seconds between pitches. A violation counts as a ball to the current batter.

3. No stepping off the mound. There’s no need for a pitcher to take a stroll around the mound between pitches, whether rubbing up a new baseball or adjusting his crotch.

4. No stepping out of the batter’s box. Same as #3 above. The batter can get his signs from the third base coach while in the box. There’s no need to step out and take a practice swing or readjust your batting gloves when you just did it for the tenth time one pitch ago. A violation counts as a strike.

5. No visits to the mound by coaches or managers for discussions or pep talks. Talk strategy or tactics before the game or between innings.

6. No visit to the mound to change pitchers. The manager can signal the change from the dugout. The ceremony of taking the ball from the departing pitcher and handing it to the incoming one is silly.

7. Field size. The shape of the outfield and the distance to the fences should be standard in all ballparks, with exceptions made only for altitude. No other sport allows the home team to change the shape of the playing field or ice rink to its advantage.

8. No eating while playing. Baseball is the only sport in which players toss sunflower seeds into their faces for three hours while in the field. Eat before and after the game.

9. No chewing tobacco. This one’s obvious, for many reasons.

10. Uniforms on players only. I don’t need to see 300-pound Mike Scioscia jogging his fat ass to the mound in white yoga pants. And shriveled old beef jerky managers like Jim Leyland shouldn’t be in uniform either. What’s the point? You never saw John Wooden coaching in shorts and a tank top, and Bill Belichick doesn’t coach in a helmet and shoulder pads. If you aren’t an active player, dress in a suit or business casual attire.

11. Catchers call pitches. For over a hundred years, catchers were smart enough to call the pitches during a game. Now they’re suddenly too stupid and managers have to call every pitch. It only takes five seconds to get the signs from the dugout and signal them to the pitcher, but at 300 pitches a game, that adds 25 minutes to every ball game for no reason.

12. Tie games. The NHL plays a 5-minute, 3-on-3 overtime before going to a shoot-out in regular season games. MLB could do the same. Play one extra inning, and if still tied, go to a home-run derby to decide the winner.

There are many more, but I think you get the idea.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:05 pm

I switched between the Ducks game and the Angels game a few times and the differences were shocking.

I thought you were going to say they should have to hit the ball on the run.

Speaking of hockey and baseball, I forgot his name but the Angels had a pitcher 20 or so years ago who'd been a goalie in a previous life. He could handle comebackers like nobody's business.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Cut pregame ceremonies like CEOs throwing out the first pitch, announcing the starting lineups and even the National Anthem...at game time a guy with a horn marches to the plate, plays the racetrack bugle call and the game begins.

At the start of each inning all nine batters line up behind the batter's box ready to hit...no more on-deck circle, no more theme music blaring away while a .217 hitter struts to the plate.

Eliminate pitchers entirely. Have a pitching machine pitch for both teams - one 100mph pitch every five seconds, every one down the middle. If you let a pitch go by it's an automatic strike...no more umpires, walks, balks, wild pitches, hit batters...no more musical interludes while a reliever migrates in from the bullpen.

Eliminate fielding too - everyone is a designated hitter. Hitters aim for big colored circles painted on the field denoting singles, doubles and triples. A homerun is still a homerun...everything else is an out. No more fielding, putouts, errors, rundowns, stolen bases, etc.

Since there are no fielders and all the hitters are already on the field there's no need for dugouts or between-inning breaks. Reserves can hawk peanuts and hot dogs in the stands or shag balls until needed. There are no timeouts, replay challenges or conferences at the mound. The seventh inning "stretch" becomes literal again.

So let's see...5 seconds between pitches...an average of about 3 pitches per batter...say 40 or so at-bats per game per team...

I figure this will get the game down to about 20 minutes.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:18 am

Great input, Omar. However, as with your political posts, it's obvious you're joking.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm

On the contrary, I'm deadly serious. You should see my ideas for improving pro golf

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:43 am

Honestly guys, I do not think there is anything you could have done to improve baseball and this years World Series... it was epic, tense, heroic, nail biting and just a thrill to watch..... leave the game mostly alone :thumbsup:

Return to “College”