UCLA Basketball players arrested in China

cruiser

UCLA Basketball players arrested in China

Post by cruiser » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:26 pm

LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill were arrested in China for shoplifting.
(Louis Vuitton store)

Omar Bongo

Re: UCLA Basketball players arrested in China

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Interesting timing...wonder if this will come up when Xi and Trump meet
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Read a report where LaVar, who's over there with LaMelo and the wife, proclaimed "Everybody making it a big deal; it ain't that big of a deal."
Nice parenting :roll:

I asked a Chinese friend to check out the Chinese news reports...turns out the three are in police custody (not clear if they're officially under arrest) and charges are being mulled. Depending on what they stole, they could get sentenced to anywhere from 1-15 years. My friend says they're lucky it happened when Trump is in country, there's a good chance it'll be reduced to a week or two in jail, a fine and a boot out of the country if they admit guilt and show remorse.

Wonder if Mama Ball has the juice to get LaVar to shut the hell up...

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:23 am

Those commies take their laws to the extreme. I was with a group in Hungary in '81. One of our knuckleheads jaywalked. They were going to haul him off but our guide had some pull as we were official "guests of the government."
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 am

I'd love to see LaVar get busted for trying to get junior off the hook by offering the store a truckload of Big Baller Brand sneakers.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

Ya, believe it or not, the BB players are lucky that Trump is in the country currently also, that
could smooth things over unless daddy Ball opens his mouth - there is virtually no crime in
China to speak of, the culture take it very seriously even minor so called incidents as noted
and ya, Omar's friend is right, even a simple shoplifting charge and conviction in China gets
you one to ten,depending on the value and circumstances.

..many people have no clue how things work in these kind of countries for criminal acts!

I'm thinking there might be some financial considerations in the works for the victim(s)
by UCLA?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 am

Omar Bongo wrote: My friend says they're lucky it happened when Trump is in country....
"Tell ya what, Jinping. You go easy on the kids and I promise not to make LaVar ambassador."

Do international incidents affect NCAA eligibility?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Assuming these charges are true, it's another black eye for America, just like the swimmers in Brazil last year.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Per ESPN, players released from jail on bail, must stay at hotel until case adjudicated could
take days, weeks,months per source - daddy Ball says, "it ain't no big deal"

Hmm, daddy Ball seems like an interesting piece of work. (shown pushing his wife in a wheelchair
out of the hotel lobby)

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 pm

the BB players are lucky that Trump is in the country currently

Well, that didn't take long...

Trump last year: "They suck the blood out of us and we owe them money...we can't continue to allow China to rape our country...that's what they're doing. It's the greatest theft in the history of the world."

Trump today: "I don't blame China...after all, who can blame a country for being able to take advantage of another country for benefit of their citizens? I give China great credit."

If this doesn't work he's going to propose a straight-up 3-player trade for Taiwan

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:08 pm

Sources say the UCLA players will have to serve 20 days of house arrest at the hotel (Hyatt Regency).
Oh,the horror or it all! - and will not be allowed back in the country. A great deal because of what
could have happen, if true..

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Trump said the magic words...UCLA should give him courtside season tickets
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Will there be a season? What happens to the players when they get back? Will there be sanctions on the team? What would Wooden have done?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 pm

In Wooden's day, after they finished rowing their dinghy back home they'd start applying to JCs
George Will

Donald Trump

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am

Hmm,interestingly enough the three UCLA players are on their way home now with the
apparent intervention of President Trump of all people (maybe he is not that bad of a
guy after all),allegedly the three were also seen on security video monitors of three
other stores in a high end shopping center stealing stuff.....

I mean, are these guys still going to be playing for UCLA this season? Plus, daddy Ball
leaves his son in China and takes the rest of the family to Hong Kong to set up a
big baller brand pop up shop, It doesn't get any better then this,no?

Luca

Post by Luca » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:In Wooden's day, after they finished rowing their dinghy back home they'd start applying to JCs
That reminds me of one of my favorite John Wooden stories. As I recall it happened when Bill Walton was either a junior or senior and had begun to appreciate that he was a Man of Some Distinction and thereby entitled to certain privileges.

At that time, John Wooden had a team rule that everyone had to have short hair whereas Walton preferred the long-haired rebel look with a headband and jeans, etc. So Walton decided to grow his hair long anyway in the off season and didn’t get a haircut before he reported for opening practice. As I recall the story, Walton went through the practice without the Coach saying anything to him but was pulled aside at the end of practice. Walton braced himself for the lecture he knew was coming.

Wooden said to him "Bill, you know the team rules regarding hair length."

Walton was waiting for this and then launched into a defense of how it was HIS hair and he was an adult and it was the style these days and everybody else got to wear long hair and it was his political statement to which he was entitled and and he deserved the right to wear his hair however he wanted, etc. etc.

Wooden listened to his monologue respectfully, nodding occasionally. When Walton was finished he responded:

"You know, Bill, you’re exactly right…………. (at which point Walton started to think he had triumphed)…….. and I want to be the first to wish you and your new team the best of luck this coming season.”

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:In Wooden's day, after they finished rowing their dinghy back home they'd start applying to JCs
..and then the NCAA would put Long Beach State on probation.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Well they're back home now...will be interesting to see what action the school takes, if any
George Will

Donald Trump

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Wow, the three were put on indefinite suspension, (which means they will be playing in January, IMO)
how times change, years ago, these three would have had their scholarship revoked, released from the
team and banned from the University for at least a year.

On a side note - they admitted to stealing from three stores not just one, everyone is giving
them kudos for admitting to doing it but what else could they do, they were caught on store
security video camera's for pete sake! When is Lavar going to get into the act?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

He's probably busy trying to use this to leverage a renegotiation of his reality show contract...

An indefinite suspension is the squishy way out- makes it look like the school's got it's finger in the wind gauging public reaction and will reinstate them when things cool down enough. They should have announced a definite number of games...20 would have sent a good message.
George Will

Donald Trump