It's official - it's JT

Omar Bongo

It's official - it's JT

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:36 pm

USC first-year freshman JT Daniels was named the Trojans' starting quarterback going into the 2018 season, head coach Clay Helton announced today.

Daniels competed with redshirt sophomore Matt Fink, redshirt freshman Jack Sears and walk-on redshirt sophomore Holden Thomas for the starting role throughout this fall's camp.

Daniels will be just the second USC true freshman to start a season opener at quarterback, joining Matt Barkley, who did so in 2009 against San Jose State. Daniels also will be just the fourth Trojan true freshman quarterback to start a game, joining Barkley (12 starts in 2009), Carson Palmer (5 starts in 1998) and Rob Johnson (1 start in 1991).

https://usctrojans.com/news/2018/8/26/j ... rback.aspx

RedPillWonderland

Re: It's official - it's JT

Post by RedPillWonderland » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:21 pm

Unique that USC decided to put out official statements from all 3 scholarship QBs involved, attached to the announcement. Never seen that before at any school.

Based on these statements, both guys handled it with class and sound like good teammates. But Sears sounds a tad bit more pissed than Fink.

---

Said Fink: "I was proud of how I competed for the job in the spring and fall, so I was disappointed to learn of the decision. I realize it was a tough decision for the coaches to make. I plan on being a good teammate and giving my all to be prepared every game as if I am the starter. I love my teammates and I love USC and I have full trust in the coaching staff. Congrats to JT, he is a tremendous quarterback, and I will do my best to support him and be ready if my number is called."

Said Sears: "I respect my coaches and I respect their decision. Obviously, I wish it were a different decision because I want to play, but I will continue to control what I can control, be a great teammate and develop as a quarterback. It is a long season and I will be ready if my number is called."

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:38 pm

After hearing this announcement, I couldn't help but think back to 13 months ago when the know-it-alls on this forum had "inside" information that J.T.'s arm was shot and his career in serious jeopardy.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 pm

And here I thought he was good only because he was 5 years older than everyone else :wink:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Red

Post by Red » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 am

MDDad, you didn't hear? JT finally gave up on his right arm and is now throwing with his left. After reading all the posts regarding his right throwing arm, he hid out in an underground bunker and perfected his left.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Bick

Post by Bick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 am

And with the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots trade up and select...JT Daniels.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Against UNLV today Daniels went 22 of 35 for 282 yards including a 43-yard TD to Amon-Ra St. Brown

Another ex-MD teammate, Chase McGrath, tied a school record with 5 FGs
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 am

Two things that really stood out in yesterday’s match up of two former Trinity League QBs. Costello’s experience from playing at this level last season and Costello far superior arm strength.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:27 pm

I know you hate anything MD Buck, but the future will prove you wrong. KJ has a better O-Line. USC better coach the O-line up, or they go nowhere.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.