Bru Goes To Texas ... is Texas “back” ??

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Bru Goes To Texas ... is Texas “back” ??

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 am

Started a new thread over here so the HS folk wouldn’t whine about being off topic ...
jb914 wrote: look at the schedule. The only two schools Texas is playing next season that should challenge them are LSU and Oklahoma. Texas should destroy the rest of their schedule. But, I wouldn't put $$ on that knowing they will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in one of those big 12 pillow fights.
Those 2 games are definitely key for freshman Longhorn WR Bru McCoy (if eligible) and UT; the LSU game is week 2 IN AUSTIN, which will be a top 10 matchup and will almost certainly host Gameday. That will only help them if they win; they should be 5-0 and probably ranked in the top 5 going into the Red River game, against a likely top 5 OU team.

Texas should be favored in every game except Oklahoma, and that’s of course at a neutral site. If they win those two, would you disagree that they would almost certainly make the playoff if they win out?

Looking at that schedule though, it’s not as easy as some may think. They always struggle with Ok St; they are at WVU in a trap game the week before the OU game; and then in a 4 week stretch they have 3 tough road games: at TCU and Gary Patterson’s defense, at Iowa St in Ames where Real Mitchell and the Cyclones (LOL) pull an upset every year, and at Matt Rhule’s improved Baylor team that hates them, in Waco.

I don’t know if those will be pillow fights, and they could definitely lose one (or two) of those, even if they get by LSU/OU. If they do, with the expectations and talent they’ll have and the perception of that conference, it would certainly be viewed as a disappointment.

But I disagree about Herman being on the hot seat if they lose a few games. They’d have to go, say 6-6, with no injury rationale.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Re: Bru Goes To Texas ... is Texas “back” ??

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:01 am

jb914 wrote: Who knows, maybe Herman is on NCAA's craigslist.....errr...transfer portal shopping for a grad transfer QB to backup big Sam.
He could be, and probably is. Every other coach seems to be, including Lincoln Riley (Jalen Hurts). But even if Buechele officially transfers, UT still will have the incoming freshman I mentioned in Roschon Johnson (4 star UA All American), and redshirt freshman Casey Thompson.

Word is part of the reason SoCal native Cam Rising left for Utah is because he was behind not only Ehlinger and Buechele but Thompson, the other QB recruit in his class.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am

jb914 wrote: But, yea Texas is back, cuz, yea they beat Georgia.
I don’t really buy into all the “Texas is back” talk either. At least not if they are meaning it in terms of back to Vince Young Texas, like 2004/2005 Texas. Which seems to be what many are comparing.

I give their win over UGA more credit. That was a team that dominated Alabama for 3 quarters in the SECCG and that most knowledgeable observers thought should have been in the playoff, and if you watched the Sugar Bowl, Texas handled Georgia - physically.

But I don’t think they are “back” until they are winning conference and national titles, or at least competing for and getting into the playoff consistently. Not going 10-4 and winning Sugar Bowl trophies. That’s not even “back” to Colt McCoy-era Texas.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:38 am

Herman, an LA native and former Cal Lutheran player, is certainly making some recruiting statements. Including making it clear that, for basically the first time ever, the Golden State and particularly SoCal will be a priority recruiting area for the Longhorns.

Texas was thisclose to beating SC for Bru straight up, before he signed. That’s one of the best prospects to come out of SC’s backyard in many years, arguably ever (Bru is one of a small group of SoCal kids to ever win a national POY honor).

Now they’ll have signed Bru, 4 star LB Gabe Floyd out of Westlake/LA, and 4 star safety Chris Adimora out of Lakewood Mayfair, just in this class alone. A class that is projected to finish ranked in the top 3 nationally behind only Alabama and Georgia. In their recruiting class last year, also ranked in the top 3, they signed a 4 star QB out of Newbury Park (just transferred). Their current best WR Collin Johnson is an LA native who prepped in then he Bay Area.

Herman was reportedly just in SoCal recruiting 5 star Upland LB Justin Flowe (2020). Offered his younger brother Jonathan (4 star 2021 LB) while there. Also stopped by MD (Bryce Young), Bosco and several other schools.

Herman is coming into SC’s backyard, having a cookout, and inviting all the best talent over for a burger.
Last edited by FatherSonHolyHldbcks on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 am

I didn't watch the sugar bowl, but, I heard they were more physical than UGA. Texas had a lot more to gain in that win, but, that's not an excuse for UGA. It's a sign of the times that "The Playoff" games matter and now all the other bowls are like being invited to the S&H Greenstamps Bowl. :lol:

Horn fans are definitely an entitled bunch. Think of SC fans with a southern drawl and better bbq. :lol:

My buddy follows the Horns and said they need O-Line help.

LSU is physical, I'd say right up there with Bama. I don't think coach O want's to go back and lose another game in Texas as they did to A&M which ended with a basketball score due to all the OT. :lol: not sure how many kids LSU lost to graduation.

But, I agree with you. The Horns need a few more wins over some pedigree programs like LSU and OU and to win the Big12 before they can claim "We're Back". That won't stop ESPN from pimpin for them though... :D I disagree though if the Horns don't lose Sam at QB and lose to LSU, OU and another B12 school or two next season the handwringing will start in ATX

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:58 am

jb914 wrote: all the other bowls are like being invited to the S&H Greenstamps Bowl.
This is where they jumped the shark for me :lol: ...
D89FC039-E261-468C-B3D1-10E447715C16.jpeg
jb914 wrote: Think of SC fans with a southern drawl and better bbq.
MUCH better. Still take In and Out over WhataBurger though.
jb914 wrote: if the Horns don't lose Sam at QB and lose to LSU, OU and another B12 school or two next season the handwringing will start in ATX
If his agent is worth his salt, post Sugar (Bowl) high, we are sure to hear an announcement this offseason of meaningless “additional years” added to his contract and a meaningful increase on his buyout ...

jb914

Post by jb914 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:44 pm

If his agent is worth his salt, post Sugar (Bowl) high, we are sure to hear an announcement this offseason of meaningless “additional years” added to his contract and a meaningful increase on his buyout ...
Yea, especially since "Jimbo" is making 7.5 million a year coaching A&M. :lol:

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:47 pm

People in agreement on the NCAA hypocrisy ..

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: Longhorn WR Bru McCoy (if eligible)
jb914 wrote: That won't stop ESPN from pimpin for them though...
Or the NCAA from pimpin’ these student athletes ...
BEDA0099-AD6A-483C-8A7D-618906544157.jpeg

jb914

Post by jb914 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:20 pm

I mean that ESPN co-owns the Longhorn Network. :D

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:28 am

Alot of people leaving and heading to Texas! Hook em Horns! Texas just offered CP3 at La Habra, arguably the most explosive two way player in the class of 2020! Everything bigger and better in Texas. :cheers: