If you were Pete who would you start?

User avatar
Grand Supreme
Posts: 13672
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by Grand Supreme »

~44~ wrote:Is it safe to assume RPW and Blngy will no longer call each other on Thursday and Friday nights?
rumperpw is hyper-sensitive now that he is a bonafide servite dad...
it's all good...
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
User avatar
Grand Supreme
Posts: 13672
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by Grand Supreme »

kicks2 wrote:Everyone knows Corp is more mobile than Barkley..
like i said over 12 months ago...
please explain to me the reason for a mobil qb when you have the offensive line and stable of rb's u$c has?
and "lol" my foot!
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
slowyoroll
Posts: 13235
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:53 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by slowyoroll »

blng_blng wrote:

like i said over 12 months ago...
please explain to me the reason for a mobil qb when you have the offensive line and stable of rb's u$c has?

and "lol" my foot!
I've said the same thing...we agree
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
User avatar
hawkeye
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:18 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by hawkeye »

blng_blng wrote: like i said over 12 months ago...
please explain to me the reason for a mobil qb when you have the offensive line and stable of rb's u$c has?
and "lol" my foot!
Duh.....it give you more options for your playbook. Corp wouldn't have thrown those passes out of bounds like Barkley did. He would have run for the yardage. Remember Corp had over 1000 yards passing and rushing his senior year.
User avatar
hawkeye
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:18 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by hawkeye »

kicks2 wrote:

Everyone knows Corp is more mobile than Barkley..
Then Play Corp. He should get his job back once he is 100%, but Pete won't do that. There's a NEW boy in town
User avatar
Grand Supreme
Posts: 13672
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by Grand Supreme »

hawkeye wrote:Duh.....it give you more options for your playbook. Corp wouldn't have thrown those passes out of bounds like Barkley did. He would have run for the yardage. Remember Corp had over 1000 yards passing and rushing his senior year.
And the vertical passing game is not an added dimension?
Additionally Corp is no longer faster then the defense he is playing...
He is not longer in the PAC5....
It is the PAC10...
Last edited by Grand Supreme on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by RPW »

I am not sensitive, still the same guy.
I just don't deal with people that Can't Understand Normal Thinking.
I am The Voice of Reason
User avatar
Grand Supreme
Posts: 13672
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by Grand Supreme »

RPW wrote:I am not sensitive, still the same guy.
I just don't deal with people that Can't Understand Normal Thinking.
Like capitalizing words that don't need to be?
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
User avatar
hawkeye
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:18 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by hawkeye »

blng_blng wrote:
And the vertical passing game is not an added dimension?
Additionally Corp is no longer faster then the defense he is playing...
He is not longer in the PAC5....
It is the PAC10...
So you don't think Corp can thorw it long down the field? I believe they started Barkley with some baby throws before they let him try some long ones. I don't think Barkleys arm is any stronger then Corps.
RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by RPW »

kicks2 wrote:


lol....

Yeah Kicks you need to remember the rules.

"I will call you... you don't call me. Eva. Eva, eva, eva. " - Blng_Tank
I am The Voice of Reason
User avatar
Grand Supreme
Posts: 13672
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by Grand Supreme »

hawkeye wrote:So you don't think Corp can thorw it long down the field?
No.
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
MDDad
Posts: 12147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by MDDad »

Before the San Jose State game, I kind of got the impression that Mater Dei fans wanted Matt Barkley to start, while most everyone else thought Aaron Corp would be a better choice. Since that game, it seems like Orange Lutheran fans still want Aaron Corp to start, while most everyone else thinks Matt Barkley was and is the better choice.

If you leave out the high school homerism, I think this discussion comes down to what you believe:

1. Pete Carroll chose Matt Barkley as the starter because he thought Matt was the better quarterback and gave USC the best chance of winning -- and he was right.
2. Pete Carroll chose Matt Barkley as the starter because he thought Matt was the better quarterback and gave USC the best chance of winning -- but he and his staff are wrong because they are too incompetent as evaluators of talent to see that Aaron Corp actually gives USC the best chance of winning.
3. Pete Carroll chose Matt Barkley as the starter even though he knew Aaron Corp was the better quarterback and gave USC the best chance of winning -- because Pete had to honor some mysterious, diabolical political agenda or secret agreement.

Does anyone really believe either #2 or #3 are true?

MDD
FANDAN
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by FANDAN »

4. Pete Carroll originally chose Aaron Corp as the starter because he said he'd won the job during Spring and Summer. Then he said because of the injury, he'd do what he thought Aaron's dad would want. Then he puts Aaron in the game anyway, throwing a tidy 4-for-4.

Excuse us while we attempt to keep our collective heads from spinning into space.

MDDad, we all either have to go with your crazy scenario #3, or accept my #4 and just recognize Pete as an opportunistic liar.

Damage done. Of course he must start Barkley.
MDDad
Posts: 12147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by MDDad »

FANDAN wrote:4. Pete Carroll originally chose Aaron Corp as the starter because he said he'd won the job during Spring and Summer. Then he said because of the injury, he'd do what he thought Aaron's dad would want. Then he puts Aaron in the game anyway, throwing a tidy 4-for-4.

MDDad, we all either have to go with your crazy scenario #3, or accept my #4 and just recognize Pete as an opportunistic liar.
Or we can just accept my original #1.

MDD
gamespeed
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by gamespeed »

I Can't wait for Barkley to have a solid game against the Buckeyes! Why all the hype the better QB with the better supporting cast will be on the Visitors sideline. Barkley is not fazed at all by the crowd or noise. His only worry will be pressure put on by the OSU Defense if they get to him at all.
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by not4u13 »

I have not watched either QB since they have been as SC. HS doesn't count. This is a whole different ballgame.

From what I have read over the course of this developing debate, Barkley has the better arm. He can throw deeper and is more accurate deep than Corp. Corp displays more mobility in the backfield.

In most other respects, they are equal. Yes, Barkley is younger and you can say more inexperienced, but those closest to the situation say that he is just as ready mentally as Corp (if not more so).

What seems to have occured is that Corp's injury put into question the one advantage he had over Barkley, his mobility.

Yes, Corp had won the starting job but he lost it due to injury. It happens. He didn't want to leave the spot open or up for grabs. Pete has not done that with the QB position. Once the season starts, he backs that one single leader of the offense. Corp's injury was untimely. If it had happened mid-season I really believe Pete would have put him back in the starting job once he recovered. Barkley would have been the fill in. Now, the situation is reversed.

I would start Barkely. I like what I see on the field. I like what I hear from him in the press. I like what I hear about him from other SC players.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
FRIARBEAST
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:10 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by FRIARBEAST »

MDDad wrote:Before the San Jose State game, I kind of got the impression that Mater Dei fans wanted Matt Barkley to start, while most everyone else thought Aaron Corp would be a better choice. Since that game, it seems like Orange Lutheran fans still want Aaron Corp to start, while most everyone else thinks Matt Barkley was and is the better choice.

If you leave out the high school homerism, I think this discussion comes down to what you believe:

1. Pete Carroll chose Matt Barkley as the starter because he thought Matt was the better quarterback and gave USC the best chance of winning -- and he was right.
2. Pete Carroll chose Matt Barkley as the starter because he thought Matt was the better quarterback and gave USC the best chance of winning -- but he and his staff are wrong because they are too incompetent as evaluators of talent to see that Aaron Corp actually gives USC the best chance of winning.
3. Pete Carroll chose Matt Barkley as the starter even though he knew Aaron Corp was the better quarterback and gave USC the best chance of winning -- because Pete had to honor some mysterious, diabolical political agenda or secret agreement.

Does anyone really believe either #2 or #3 are true?

MDD
:iknow: I think Pete is a crook and a liar.


BlingDong.
Can't we all just watch videos at 2am and get along?
Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by Red »

FRIARBEAST wrote:
:iknow: I think Pete is a crook and a liar.


BlingDong.
We know you do! Must be a Notre Dame fan.
User avatar
WileyWolverine
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by WileyWolverine »

FANDAN wrote:4. Pete Carroll originally chose Aaron Corp as the starter because he said he'd won the job during Spring and Summer. Then he said because of the injury, he'd do what he thought Aaron's dad would want. Then he puts Aaron in the game anyway, throwing a tidy 4-for-4.

Excuse us while we attempt to keep our collective heads from spinning into space.

MDDad, we all either have to go with your crazy scenario #3, or accept my #4 and just recognize Pete as an opportunistic liar.

Damage done. Of course he must start Barkley.
5. Aaron lost his starting job due to his injury. Matt was installed as the starter because he was Aaron's back-up. Aaron was cleared to practice and back-up in the San Jose State game. He continues to wear a protective brace on his plant leg which takes away from one of his major strengths... mobility.

Pete took the responsibility for the decision to start Matt as he should. However, Matt and Aaron's position coach and OC is the one who made the decision based on Matt's ability to perform in the SJS game after a full week of taking the majority of snaps in practice.

Not to intimate that this could be a Wally Pipp type of situation but both Pete and JB concur that Matt is the starting QB. It's not Matt's job to win or lose but rather for Pete and JB to decide what's best for the Trojans to win football games. Both Matt and Aaron continue to perform with the understanding they have to continue to compete at the position.
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW


GO LAKERS
FRIARBEAST
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:10 am

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by FRIARBEAST »

WileyWolverine wrote:5. Aaron lost his starting job due to his injury. Matt was installed as the starter because he was Aaron's back-up. Aaron was cleared to practice and back-up in the San Jose State game. He continues to wear a protective brace on his plant leg which takes away from one of his major strengths... mobility.

Pete took the responsibility for the decision to start Matt as he should. However, Matt and Aaron's position coach and OC is the one who made the decision based on Matt's ability to perform in the SJS game after a full week of taking the majority of snaps in practice.

Not to intimate that this could be a Wally Pipp type of situation but both Pete and JB concur that Matt is the starting QB. It's not Matt's job to win or lose but rather for Pete and JB to decide what's best for the Trojans to win football games. Both Matt and Aaron continue to perform with the understanding they have to continue to compete at the position.
I think a running QB is a QB that can't throw.
Can't we all just watch videos at 2am and get along?
Post Reply