If you were Pete who would you start?

MDDad

Re: If you were Pete who would you start?

Post by MDDad »

WileyWolverine wrote:Not to intimate that this could be a Wally Pipp type of situation but both Pete and JB concur that Matt is the starting QB.
Many people have used the Wally Pipp analogy, but it's not appropriate. Pipp was an excellent firstbaseman and was a starter at the position for the Yankees for ten years before Lou Gehrig came along. Going into last Saturday's game, Corp and Barkley had started the same number of games for USC, and Aaron had thrown four more passes in anger than had Matt. That hardly equates to a ten-year headstart.

MDD
Wolves

Post by Wolves »

Hearing crap like "I was born to be the QB of USC" is rather annoying...don't cha think?

I am angry as an O Lu homer your darn right I am.

Our QB's out performed him for four years in a row.

I hope Pete takes Wheatley this year and he beats out Barkley...then I would like to hear the MD fans....bunch of horseshoe!!!

What do you mean high school doesn't count???? What a bunch of crap.
Once a puckerer always a puckerer!
WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine »

WileyWolverine wrote:Not to intimate that this could be a Wally Pipp type of situation but both Pete and JB concur that Matt is the starting QB.
MDDad wrote:
Many people have used the Wally Pipp analogy, but it's not appropriate. Pipp was an excellent firstbaseman and was a starter at the position for the Yankees for ten years before Lou Gehrig came along. Going into last Saturday's game, Corp and Barkley had started the same number of games for USC, and Aaron had thrown four more passes in anger than had Matt. That hardly equates to a ten-year headstart.

MDD
Pipp purportedly was replaced by Gehrig due to illness which is the reason Pete gave for moving Matt ahead of Aaron. Certainly, experience wasn't the decision-maker since Aaron had taken many more practice and game snaps during his Trojan career. I don't believe I mentioned anything about a "headstart."
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW

GO LAKERS
number9

Post by number9 »

Wolves wrote:Hearing crap like "I was born to be the QB of USC" is rather annoying...don't cha think?

I hope Pete takes Wheatley this year and he beats out Barkley...then I would like to hear the MD fans....bunch of horseshoe!!!

And your QB's pucker up at the sound of Servite so does it really mean anything? Oh yeah Barkley beat them 4 straight years. This whole debate is a mute point. Corp had one advantage over Barkley, that he could run. With a leg brace on he can't run like he did. Why start the guy with the weaker arm who isn't that mobile anymore, when you have a guy with a rocket arm that is 100%. You all have to get over the homerism. Corp should have never gone to a pocket passing team.
afan95

Post by afan95 »

Wolves wrote:Hearing crap like "I was born to be the QB of USC" is rather annoying...don't cha think?

Link?
Just when was that one said and who said it?

And just because OLU beat MD for four years means what? That your QB should start for USC now? Last time I looked football was a team sport and several touchdowns are actually made by these people that run into the end zone instead of catching the ball that is thrown to them.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

afan95 wrote: Link?
Just when was that one said and who said it?

And just because OLU beat MD for four years means what? That your QB should start for USC now? Last time I looked football was a team sport and several touchdowns are actually made by these people that run into the end zone instead of catching the ball that is thrown to them.
That's the whole point Corp can run into the endzone, and also pass to the endzone. Barkley can only pass.
afan95

Post by afan95 »

hawkeye wrote: That's the whole point Corp can run into the endzone, and also pass to the endzone. Barkley can only pass.
ok, then AC can play running back...now they both get to play!!!
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

number9 wrote:

And your QB's pucker up at the sound of Servite so does it really mean anything? Oh yeah Barkley beat them 4 straight years. This whole debate is a mute point. Corp had one advantage over Barkley, that he could run. With a leg brace on he can't run like he did. Why start the guy with the weaker arm who isn't that mobile anymore, when you have a guy with a rocket arm that is 100%. You all have to get over the homerism. Corp should have never gone to a pocket passing team.
Incorrect Corp was also better at reads than Barkley was and (in my opinion) still is. Corp also made better decisions based on the ints Barkley threw in practice.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
number9

Post by number9 »

Notorious wrote: Incorrect Corp was also better at reads than Barkley was and (in my opinion) still is. Corp also made better decisions based on the ints Barkley threw in practice.

So in your scenario, Barkley is better then two heisman trophy winners and the starting qb for the Jets. He had less ints then those three in practice. I am not saying Corp wouldn't be effecient at SC. I am just saying that he got hurt and now he probably will never be the starting QB at SC. That sucks for him, but it isn't Barkleys fault that he got hurt.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

number9 wrote:

So in your scenario, Barkley is better then two heisman trophy winners and the starting qb for the Jets. He had less ints then those three in practice. I am not saying Corp wouldn't be effecient at SC. I am just saying that he got hurt and now he probably will never be the starting QB at SC. That sucks for him, but it isn't Barkleys fault that he got hurt.
Those numbers were comparing Barkley's practice numbers to their in season numbers, hardly an accurate comparison.

I'm not disagreeing with your latter point, I'm disagreeing with the fact that Corp's mobility was the only thing he did better than Barkley.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

If Pete didn't think Aaron could do the job, why did he recruit him so bad.
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

hawkeye wrote:If Pete didn't think Aaron could do the job, why did he recruit him so bad.
That's what Pete does...Why did he recruit Jesse Scroggins? :shrug:
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

kicks2 wrote:
That's what Pete does...Why did he recruit Jesse Scroggins? :shrug:
I don't know who Jesse is.
Then in my mind Pete is a A$$. He's all smoke & mirrors.
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

hawkeye wrote: I don't know who Jesse is.
Then in my mind Pete is a A$$. He's all smoke & mirrors.
Uh Jesse is the Lakewood QB he recently committed to USC
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

kicks2 wrote:
Uh Jesse is the Lakewood QB he recently committed to USC
Why do you need to be like that with me? Like I know everyone who is being recruited by SC. I don't read up on them like I guess most people do. Give me a break.
RPW

Post by RPW »

If you don't know anything about SC why are you posting on this thread?
I am The Voice of Reason
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

RPW wrote:If you don't know anything about SC why are you posting on this thread?
I don't believe I was talking to you. Was I?
All I know is Pete is a jerk!
RPW

Post by RPW »

hawkeye wrote: I don't believe I was talking to you. Was I?
All I know is Pete is a jerk!

Great. Thanks for your input.
Last edited by RPW on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am The Voice of Reason
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

RPW wrote:

Great. Thanks for you input.
My understanding of this thread was "If you were Pete who would you start"?
No where does it ask if you are a know it all about SC. IMO Pete is a Jerk. He calls one QB the next Montana then turns around and makes Barkley the starter for the entire season. Sounds a little sketchy to me. Why tell Corp he's the #1 in spring when Pete really wanted Barkley to be his #1 guy? I'll tell you why, because Pete didn't want Corp to transfer to another college which he probally would have done.
RPW

Post by RPW »

hawkeye wrote: My understanding of this thread was "If you were Pete who would you start"?
No where does it ask if you are a know it all about SC. IMO Pete is a Jerk. He calls one QB the next Montana then turns around and makes Barkley the starter for the entire season. Sounds a little sketchy to me. Why tell Corp he's the #1 in spring when Pete really wanted Barkley to be his #1 guy? I'll tell you why, because Pete didn't want Corp to transfer to another college which he probally would have done.
You have to know a little bit about SC to make such a direct comment about a coach. But again, this is your opinion and not only do I think your opinion is worthless it is not based on any facts.

If Aaron Corp has dreams of getting to the NFL he can stay at USC in the #2 hole and wait his turn while getting a great education and then prepare himself for the combines. OR, he can transfer and get one year ( I think) to play and show his stuff.

Why do you like Corp so much if you have no association with SC or OLU?
I am The Voice of Reason