Don't trust Pete Carroll

Notorious

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Notorious »

blng_blng wrote: Yea right...
Cal has a better QB, RB's, DB's and the game is in Berkley...
I will bet you on that game...
And give you points as well...
There is exactly 2 players on Cal's starting roster that USC would want over what they have currently. That's it, everywhere else USC has the talent advantage.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
Grand Supreme

Post by Grand Supreme »

Notorious wrote: There is exactly 2 players on Cal's starting roster that USC would want over what they have currently. That's it, everywhere else USC has the talent advantage.
At the moment Riley is a better college QB then U$C's QB's...
Best is the best RB in the country..
SydQuan would start anywhere in the country...
And as a unit Cal's secondary is better then U$C's (even w/ a healthy Mays)
I got Cal by 10
And.....
Best goes for a buck-50 (at least)....
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

blng_blng wrote:
At the moment Riley is a better college QB then U$C's QB's...
Best is the best RB in the country..
SydQuan would start anywhere in the country...
And as a unit Cal's secondary is better then U$C's (even w/ a healthy Mays)
I got Cal by 10
And.....
Best goes for a buck-50 (at least)....
You're a dumb **** if you think Cal has a better secondary with a healthy Mays. It's pretty much unanimous that the 2 best secondaries in college football are USC, and slightly behind is Tennessee. No one else is close although Cal has a good secondary they aren't on either of the other 2's level.
bubba35

Post by bubba35 »

You USC haters are something else. for those of you who think having palyed the game is necessary to have an opinion I played football for ten years (probably before some of you were born) and yes, Corp should have been ready to play. I don't doubt that he was ready, he just had a bad game. The notion that Pete would sabatoge (sp) his team to keep the QB he wanted is silly at best and more accurately just plain laughable. I swear the lengths some of you will go to try to prove your point is amazing. Everybody, and I mean everyboby wants to knock off USC. For a lot of teams, and especially for Washington this last week, this was the biggest game of their season. Most weeks (obviously when palying within the PAC-10) USC faces a team who would be happy with their season if they could beat USC. I've been a USC fan since OJ carried the ball, through the good years and bad. For the past 10 years they have been playing some great football but I'm sure they'll go through bad times again. Just my opinion.
edac25

Post by edac25 »

Did Washington start a SINGLE player, other than the QB, that would start for USC? A single player? Answer is NO! USC lost to a team that had lost 15 of their past 16 games with the only win coming against National Power University of Idaho. This might be the most embarrassing loss in Pete Carroll's tenure as coach of the Trojans. F U Trojan Fan...Suck It!!
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

edac25 wrote:Did Washington start a SINGLE player, other than the QB, that would start for USC? A single player? Answer is NO! USC lost to a team that had lost 15 of their past 16 games with the only win coming against National Power University of Idaho. This might be the most embarrassing loss in Pete Carroll's tenure as coach of the Trojans. F U Trojan Fan...Suck It!!
I think Chris Polk would get some PT at USC but he probably wouldn't start I agree. Locker reminds me a lot of John Elway.
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

edac25 wrote:Did Washington start a SINGLE player, other than the QB, that would start for USC? A single player? Answer is NO! USC lost to a team that had lost 15 of their past 16 games with the only win coming against National Power University of Idaho. This might be the most embarrassing loss in Pete Carroll's tenure as coach of the Trojans. F U Trojan Fan...Suck It!!

Yea whatever sellout...
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
Wolves

Post by Wolves »

I understand that Aaron played poorly and made some bad reads.
However, did he not complete 60% of his passes? I think he made one throw
that was grossly underthrown....however most passes even though in traffic
were indeed on the money. He was not overthrowing passes or throwing behind his targets.

Place the blame where you may....but Corp was not all that bad!

Wolves
edac25

Post by edac25 »

The Trojans coach says, "It goes right on me," after a stunning 16-13 loss to the Washington Huskies.By Bill Plaschke

September 20, 2009

This one's on Pete.

The USC players trudged away with shoulders hunched against a chilly wind and obscene screams, but it wasn't about them. The Washington players and fans filled the field with twirling, bouncing, purple-stained glee, but it also wasn't about them.

This one's on Pete.

For several long minutes after USC's 16-13 loss to Washington on Saturday, Trojans Coach Pete Carroll stood at the edge of the Husky Stadium tunnel, staring ashen-faced back into the swarming mob as if peering into the smoking wreckage of a car he totaled.

Which he did. A luxury car. Smashed it to bits.

"It goes right to me," he said later.

Best call he made all day.

"I'm not doing a good enough job making points on how we win," he said.

Not nearly.

"It starts right with me and this is where it stops, right here," he said.

Preaching to the choir.

After another one of those avoidable upset losses that now threaten to overtake his sparkling resume like a giant mustard stain, Carroll's accountability was admirable.

Everything else he did -- or didn't do -- plain stunk.

The Trojans lost to a 21-point underdog after leading by 10 points after two possessions.

The Trojans lost to a team with a rookie head coach that had just finished losing 15 straight games.

The Trojans lost their focus, their common sense and their cool in a game that seemed to strip Carroll of even his suntan.

"It's amazing, just amazing," said Huskies linebacker Donald Butler.

Don't blame this on the fact that USC was playing without starting quarterback Matt Barkley, because it still out-gained Washington.

Don't blame this on a defense that was missing star Taylor Mays, because it still held Washington to barely 200 yards before its final drive.

Like the man said, blame it on Pete. It has been written here for several years that Carroll is the best coach in college football, but for several hours Saturday he was inexplicably out-coached by a former pupil, Steve Sarkisian, while allowing his team to be outplayed by a former national joke.

Just two weeks ago, Washington had the nation's worst losing streak. Today, that title belongs to the man who has at least one national-title costing egg laid per season in each of the last four years, from UCLA to Stanford to Oregon State to this.

This was bad. This was really bad.

This was an unprepared USC team racking up nearly as many penalty yards (75) as passing yards (110), with three times as many turnovers as touchdowns, with zero third-down conversions in 10 attempts, and with no clue during a possible game-changing drive.

End of the first half, Trojans on the Washington 29-yard line, less than 20 seconds left, no timeouts, and what do they do?

They run the ball. They run the ball? Stanley Havili is tackled for a loss, the clock keeps ticking, and a 47-yard field-goal attempt occurs after time expires. The kick, by the way, was good.

"It was hard to get that done in that time frame," said Carroll, shaking his head.

It was just one horrible call in a game full of them.

Offensively, the lack of confidence shown backup quarterback Aaron Corp by the Barkley-enamored coaching staff allowed the Huskies to load up the defensive line and finally stop a Trojans attack that gained 111 yards on the first two possessions.

When asked when he was told he was starting, Corp said, "They never really did."

Carroll is famous for tapping into the collegian psyche and endorsing each week's starting quarterback as the team leader, but he never really told the kid he was even starting?

Corp played as tentatively as the expectations, forcing passes that were uncharacteristic of the guy who won this job last spring.

Just as tentative was the defense, particularly a linebacker group that has struggled to replace last year's future pros.

Witness the Huskies' game-winning drive, when Jake Locker beat the Trojans with two long passes on plays that were either broken or drawn up on the sidelines.

"Hard work beats athleticism any day," said Joe McKnight, who ran great but who also, again, fumbled, this time maybe costing the Trojans a touchdown at the end of a long run, USC eventually settling for a field goal.

Oh, yeah, Stafon Johnson and Stanley Havili lost fumbles deep in Washington territory, the same place Corp threw an interception.

"This was all my fault," said Johnson, who will have to stand in line.

Hard work beats Hollywood too, and the Trojans were all that, playing up to the ugliest of stereotypes, the image that never bothers Carroll as long as they win.

It should bother him now.

In the second quarter, a Washington field-goal drive was kept alive by a late hit on Locker by Everson Griffen, one of several cheap-shot penalties that hurt the Trojans.

Then there was this behavior on one of the game's final plays, when the Trojans' Luthur Brown tackled Chris Polk after a four-yard run, then jumped up and danced around as if he had just won a heavyweight fight.

Somebody should have reminded him that the Huskies had just stuffed the ball 65 yards down USC's throat. On the next play, Erik Folk kicked a 22-yard, game-winning field goal.

"Right now, we've got a long way to go," Carroll said.

The path got longer afterward, when several USC players were seen loudly examining stat sheets in the locker room, never a good sign after a team loss.

I asked Havili what he was feeling, and McKnight became angry. "No disrespect intended, but what kind of question is that?" he said. "We just lost a game, how do you think we feel?"

We know how Carroll feels, which is exactly how he should feel. Everyone else, I guess we'll find out.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Yeah Brown was an idiot, my mom even said that when we were watching the game. "He does know he's about to lose to the crappiest team in college football last year right?" is word for word what she said.
edac25

Post by edac25 »

Notorious wrote:Yeah Brown was an idiot, my mom even said that when we were watching the game. "He does know he's about to lose to the crappiest team in college football last year right?" is word for word what she said.
Noto - which of the 4 upsets was the worst: Washington, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA??

My vote would be the loss at home to a 40+ point underdog Stanford. The loss to Washington is #2.
Lancer4Life

Post by Lancer4Life »

Parrotpaul wrote: I guess I really don't see much of a difference.

It would make sense to believe they wanted him to fail if the play calling was meant to make him fail. What else would they want if they purposely designed play calling meant to make him fail?
1. GET CREATIVE ON OFFENSE

USC has not plumbed the depths of its "notebook," as Carroll (apparently a big Rachel McAdams fan) calls it. We get that. He's breaking in new quarterbacks, and they're not quite ready for the full game-plan package.

But that doesn't mean the Trojans should run the most obvious running plays on third-and-short, as happened twice at critical moments in last week's upset loss at Washington. Needing just a yard to gain first downs, USC running backs instead were stuffed in the backfield. The first instance resulted in the Trojans running out of time to kick a field goal at the end of the first half; the second led to a punt, which led to the Huskies taking the lead.

Surely new play-caller Jeremy Bates can do better. The "notebook" has plenty of options – the QB sneak (very effective vs. Ohio State; not used vs. Washington), the fullback dive, the fake-dive-toss, the naked bootleg.

And we're not just talking about third-and-short here, either. Being less predictable on first down would divert defensive attention from the running game – and minimize those must-convert third-down situations. USC is next-to-last in the Pac-10 on third downs, at 22.9 percent.

OC Register this morning
Lancer4Life

Post by Lancer4Life »

All PostsUSC football: Another questionable Carroll QB decision
September 24th, 2009, 7:00 am posted by Michael Lev, staff writer

After Matt Barkley scrapped through practice Wednesday, his shoulder clearly not fully healthy, this is what I thought USC coach Pete Carroll might say:

“We’re going to go with Aaron Corp this week. Matt just isn’t ready. He needs another week off. Hopefully, he’ll be ready to go next week for the Cal game.”

This is what Carroll actually said:

“We are going to go with Matt in the game. He’s ready to go. It’s clear that he had a very good day today, feels good about it, and off and running we go. I am happy to get him back out there.”

Did my eyes deceive me? Did Carroll see something I didn’t — something completely different?

Before Wednesday, I refused to go along with the conspiracy theorists who asserted that Carroll’s affinity for Barkley was affecting the coach’s judgment. Now I’m all in.

Clearly, Carroll wants Barkley to be his starting quarterback. Period. Given Barkley’s immense talent and upside, I’d have no problem with that — if Barkley weren’t still injured.

And he is still injured. When last we were allowed to speak to him, on Tuesday, Barkley acknowledged that he still experiences pain. Carroll described his throwing motion Wednesday as “controlled.”

I watched almost every pass Barkley threw, and he just didn’t look right. He doesn’t look like himself. He doesn’t have his fastball.

It might be back by Saturday. Maybe Barkley will prove me wrong. He says he’s getting better every day — which, of course, is what every injured athlete says.

But if he’s about the same as Wednesday, you can forget about seeing a bunch of bombs in USC’s purportedly soon-to-be-opened-up offense against Washington State — even if, as Carroll insisted, Barkley is “able to throw all the throws that we are doing in the game plan.”

When Carroll elevated Barkley over Corp in August, one of the chief reasons was that Corp was still injured. Carroll said he tried to think about Corp’s well-being as if he were the quarterback’s own father.

With Barkley, Carroll is acting like one of those out-of-control Little League dads. Barkley said the bone bruise in his shoulder can’t get any worse, but isn’t it possible, if he’s altering his throwing motion or compensating for the soreness, that he could suffer a different type of injury to his shoulder, arm or some other body part? Is it really worth the risk against the lowly Cougars?

The counterargument is that Barkley needs to play this week to be at his best for the showdown vs. Cal the following week. Unlike most of the moves made in USC’s quarterback derby, that makes some sense. If the Washington State game is anything like last year’s 69-0 demolition — it easily could have been 100-0, and USC wasn’t playing at home or coming off a loss — then Barkley probably can get away with playing a half to regain his rhythm, and he probably won’t get hit much, if at all.

But there are no guarantees. The only certainty in all this is that Carroll is married to Barkley, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, till the NFL do them part.
1stngoal

Post by 1stngoal »

Lancer4Life wrote: Well I was around during the John McKay days. Infact Olu's first uniforms looked just like the (hate to say this) Trojans dual red stripes on the pants yuck. Olu's actual school colors are Red, Gold & White. Don't know when it changed to Red & Black.
Why is Mission wearing Black uni's....aren't they Red and Yellow?
1stngoal

Post by 1stngoal »

Just asking......Why dint we see these during the Tollner, Smith days?
Guess SC fans dint want anyone to know. I think every car in South OC has one.....Oh, and a Laker fan on the window also
Attachments
200-zMore.jpg
200-zMore.jpg (104.65 KiB) Viewed 114 times