Don't trust Pete Carroll

Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Heywould »

AndUR?? wrote:
Hey...I am a survivor of the Ted Tollner and Larry Smith years...
Only those who bleed Cardinal and Gold can understand :thumbsup:
A large majority of today's SC fans(bandwagoners) wouldn't have been able to tell you where the school was located in those years. Now their entire wardrobe is made up SC hats and shirts. And I love watching them melt down every time SC loses a game.
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap
User avatar
WileyWolverine
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by WileyWolverine »

Lancer4Life wrote: Well I was around during the John McKay days. Infact Olu's first uniforms looked just like the (hate to say this) Trojans dual red stripes on the pants yuck. Olu's actual school colors are Red, Gold & White. Don't know when it changed to Red & Black.
When OLu hired the Ciceros from Servite. --:--
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW


GO LAKERS
User avatar
WileyWolverine
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by WileyWolverine »

Heywould wrote:
A large majority of today's SC fans(bandwagoners) wouldn't have been able to tell you where the school was located in those years. Now their entire wardrobe is made up SC hats and shirts. And I love watching them melt down every time SC loses a game.
Hey Woody... I've got a closet full of these, now on sale. XXL or XL only. Sorry no Mediums.
Image
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW


GO LAKERS
Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Heywould »

WileyWolverine wrote:Hey Woody... I've got a closet full of these, now on sale. XXL or XL only. Sorry no Mediums.
Image
You're selling them because you can't fit into them anymore. XXXL is impressive. Put the fork down Wiles
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap
User avatar
WileyWolverine
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by WileyWolverine »

Heywould wrote:
You're selling them because you can't fit into them anymore. XXXL is impressive. Put the fork down Wiles
No, I'm exposing you as a bitter and nasty UCLAN fan who doesn't go out in public wearing anything baby-blue and gold.
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW


GO LAKERS
afan95
Posts: 1738
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by afan95 »

So if Barkley wouldn't have been able to play out the rest of the Ohio game and Corp came in and stunk and USC lost, would his excuse have been OK to say, "I didn't know I was going to play?"

Corp knew Barkley was coming to USC when he accepted the scholarship offer from Carroll. Barkley was wanted big time by Pete Carroll; Corp was an afterthought when Clausen went to ND. Corp got caught up in the hype of playing for USC instead of going to a school that fit his playing style.

I'm sorry for him that it didn't work out, but be careful not to burn your bridges Aaron.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Heywould »

WileyWolverine wrote:No, I'm exposing you as a bitter and nasty UCLAN fan who doesn't go out in public wearing anything baby-blue and gold.
Eat on!
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap
User avatar
WileyWolverine
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:45 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by WileyWolverine »

Heywould wrote:
Eat on!
... this! :thumbsup:
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW


GO LAKERS
highschoolsportsfan
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by highschoolsportsfan »

How is Aaron burning his bridges? He has not done anything that anyone else would have done after the game. He took blame for his poor game. I wish the kid did a lot better than he did. I think that the system and play calling from the first game has been suspect and has hurt both quarterbacks. In game 1 versus San Jose State it seemed that they rolled Barkley to both sides of the field giving him time but he seemed to fail in setting his feet. In game 2 they never went down-field and try to stretch the defense. Barkley has a gun for an arm. Why not have him throw it deep to Williams. Even if it is overthrown it forces the safeties to play back a step or 2 and be honest. As far as game three why did they not have Aaron roll out like Barkley in the first game. Having Aaron roll out more may have allowed him to improvise a bit more. He is not the prototypical pocket passer but they called the game like he was. Barkley is a prototypical pocket passer and it seems as if they have not called a game for his strengths. Both players were given little faith. As soon as both players were down near the goalline neither were given the green light to throw it. It is as if Bates has little faith in either making the right throw or decision. I know that Barkley led the team at Ohio State but it is not as if he played great. His last drive was good. I will say this however, Corp's last drive was when the Trojans were also losing and his drive also netted points that tied the game. Both QBs played (Corp poor at best and Barkley below average at best) in tough places with hostile crowds in their first real starts and when it mattered the most they both led their final drives to get points that led to them no longer losing. I hope Corp stays. I hope he pushes the heck out of Barkley. I hope PC and bates show confidence in both players and quit playing conservative. By playing that way it has caused both to pay tentative and afraid of making mistakes. When the game got faster and more gambles were taken (like the end of the first half at OSU and WA) it seemed as if both QBs played better and looked more confident and they moved the ball. If it was not for dumb play calling they would have scored at the end of both halves.
afan95
Posts: 1738
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by afan95 »

highschoolsportsfan wrote:How is Aaron burning his bridges? He has not done anything that anyone else would have done after the game. He took blame for his poor game. I wish the kid did a lot better than he did. I think that the system and play calling from the first game has been suspect and has hurt both quarterbacks. In game 1 versus San Jose State it seemed that they rolled Barkley to both sides of the field giving him time but he seemed to fail in setting his feet. In game 2 they never went down-field and try to stretch the defense. Barkley has a gun for an arm. Why not have him throw it deep to Williams. Even if it is overthrown it forces the safeties to play back a step or 2 and be honest. As far as game three why did they not have Aaron roll out like Barkley in the first game. Having Aaron roll out more may have allowed him to improvise a bit more. He is not the prototypical pocket passer but they called the game like he was. Barkley is a prototypical pocket passer and it seems as if they have not called a game for his strengths. Both players were given little faith. As soon as both players were down near the goalline neither were given the green light to throw it. It is as if Bates has little faith in either making the right throw or decision. I know that Barkley led the team at Ohio State but it is not as if he played great. His last drive was good. I will say this however, Corp's last drive was when the Trojans were also losing and his drive also netted points that tied the game. Both QBs played (Corp poor at best and Barkley below average at best) in tough places with hostile crowds in their first real starts and when it mattered the most they both led their final drives to get points that led to them no longer losing. I hope Corp stays. I hope he pushes the heck out of Barkley. I hope PC and bates show confidence in both players and quit playing conservative. By playing that way it has caused both to pay tentative and afraid of making mistakes. When the game got faster and more gambles were taken (like the end of the first half at OSU and WA) it seemed as if both QBs played better and looked more confident and they moved the ball. If it was not for dumb play calling they would have scored at the end of both halves.
Rule #1 in the world of business, which by the way, USC football is: Always protect your boss.

Aaron may have answered the question of when he was told he was going to be the starter truthfully, but some in the media are having a field day with his answer of he was never told (or something to that effect).

Others like myself believe that Corp and every player should always be prepared. The answer to that question should have been "I didn't need to be told I was the starter. I'm always prepared to take the field and lead the team."

IMHO that "negative" comment will put him on the bench faster than one bad game.

(The comment about burning bridges was more in response to someone elses comment that perhaps Corp is starting to let some of his frustration with what's been going on over the last few months slip out to the media)
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
FANDAN
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by FANDAN »

highschoolsportsfan wrote:How is Aaron burning his bridges? He has not done anything that anyone else would have done after the game. He took blame for his poor game. I wish the kid did a lot better than he did. I think that the system and play calling from the first game has been suspect and has hurt both quarterbacks. In game 1 versus San Jose State it seemed that they rolled Barkley to both sides of the field giving him time but he seemed to fail in setting his feet. In game 2 they never went down-field and try to stretch the defense. Barkley has a gun for an arm. Why not have him throw it deep to Williams. Even if it is overthrown it forces the safeties to play back a step or 2 and be honest. As far as game three why did they not have Aaron roll out like Barkley in the first game. Having Aaron roll out more may have allowed him to improvise a bit more. He is not the prototypical pocket passer but they called the game like he was. Barkley is a prototypical pocket passer and it seems as if they have not called a game for his strengths. Both players were given little faith. As soon as both players were down near the goalline neither were given the green light to throw it. It is as if Bates has little faith in either making the right throw or decision. I know that Barkley led the team at Ohio State but it is not as if he played great. His last drive was good. I will say this however, Corp's last drive was when the Trojans were also losing and his drive also netted points that tied the game. Both QBs played (Corp poor at best and Barkley below average at best) in tough places with hostile crowds in their first real starts and when it mattered the most they both led their final drives to get points that led to them no longer losing. I hope Corp stays. I hope he pushes the heck out of Barkley. I hope PC and bates show confidence in both players and quit playing conservative. By playing that way it has caused both to pay tentative and afraid of making mistakes. When the game got faster and more gambles were taken (like the end of the first half at OSU and WA) it seemed as if both QBs played better and looked more confident and they moved the ball. If it was not for dumb play calling they would have scored at the end of both halves.
I think afan95 was also issuing a caution for Corp into the future. Aaron still has a lot of patience-testing ahead. Your post is excellent, highschoolsportsfan. After only eleven posts - and despite your being an apparent USC fan - I hope you'll contribute a lot more to the board. As a Bruin fan myself, I'm supposed to hate USC, and I try my best to show that at all times. :lol: But I just can't help rooting for all the local county kids when they step up to the next level. I wanted Aaron Corp to excell and show his talents right from the get-go. Yet, I also stated that I thought Barkley would be the starter by the time the bowl game came around. It now appears that Barkley already has the upper hand, straight up. The last thing USC needed this season was a quarterback "situation" or controversy. Obviously that spectre was a huge part of Pete Carroll's frustration at the Sanchez departure. Before the season, I felt that USC would lose at least three games this year. I thought it would be their young defense that would be their Achilles heal. In fact, the defense has looked pretty good in all three of their outings. Although I'd still have to favor Cal in a couple of weeks, I think it's possible (likely) for USC to win out otherwise. In what is actually a rebuild year for USC, one or two losses is pretty impressive. I believe that if USC had played Washington week 1 and SJS this past week, they'd be 3-0. The scaling back of the playbook - which seems to be the primary point of your post - is exactly why frosh QB's don't generally play much. Next season, the BCS championship game appears to be wide open for the Trojans. This year, a few growing pains must be endured.
FANDAN
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by FANDAN »

afan95 wrote: Rule #1 in the world of business, which by the way, USC football is: Always protect your boss.

Aaron may have answered the question of when he was told he was going to be the starter truthfully, but some in the media are having a field day with his answer of he was never told (or something to that effect).

Others like myself believe that Corp and every player should always be prepared. The answer to that question should have been "I didn't need to be told I was the starter. I'm always prepared to take the field and lead the team."

IMHO that "negative" comment will put him on the bench faster than one bad game.

(The comment about burning bridges was more in response to someone elses comment that perhaps Corp is starting to let some of his frustration with what's been going on over the last few months slip out to the media)
I don't think Aaron should have ever had to to "cover for his boss" over that question. Don't put that situation on Corp. Aaron's quick on his feet, but nobody should have to be that quick. As with the Sanchez departure, PC has acted like a jerk. Corp's a good kid that deserves to be treated better than that.
User avatar
Grand Supreme
Posts: 13672
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Grand Supreme »

RPW wrote:That is a chicken **** excuse. He took all first team snaps in practice and always said he wanted his opportunity to get his job back. He did fine the first half and when it came to crunch time he cheesed up. I would see your point if he cheesed up from the begining but that was not the case.

Some players don't translate well to the college game, period. Corp might be that kid. A new haircut couldn't hurt.
This coming from a guy who never put on a helmet.
You never played football and that fact comes out in everything you say...
UDubb has the loudest crowd in the PAC10...
The only thing you can compare a Washington home game to is an SEC crowd.
The uncertainty of not knowing who is going to start plays a lot into preparation.
Especially for a quarterback...
Given the circumstances...
I think Corp did well...
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
User avatar
Lancer4Life
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:49 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Lancer4Life »

WileyWolverine wrote:When OLu hired the Ciceros from Servite. --:--
Way before Ciceros
Image
User avatar
Lancer4Life
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:49 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Lancer4Life »

What can I say?
Image
Image
RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by RPW »

blng_blng wrote:
This coming from a guy who never put on a helmet.
You never played football and that fact comes out in everything you say...
UDubb has the loudest crowd in the PAC10...
The only thing you can compare a Washington home game to is an SEC crowd.
The uncertainty of not knowing who is going to start plays a lot into preparation.
Especially for a quarterback...
Given the circumstances...
I think Corp did well...
Are you serious with this stuff?

Go back and read everything Aaron has said since January.
This was his job, he would go out compete and always be ready to play.
He took all the snaps in practice and even if it came down to hours before the game he knew what to expect.
Did he play well, sure. But when they needed a QB to drop back and pass he threw DUCKS.
When everyone here, including your dumbass talked about "He is a great scrambler" he didn't scramble.
He gave up 3 qtrs of solid play to cheese up in the 4th when they needed him most?
If he was not ready to be the starter explain how he did well for 3 qtrs?
Did Udubb fans only get loud in the 4th qtr?

Udubb is not the loudest ... Oregon (Autzen Stadium) is the loudest in the Pac10.
I am The Voice of Reason
User avatar
Grand Supreme
Posts: 13672
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Grand Supreme »

RPW wrote:Are you serious with this stuff?
I am 100% serious...
You never even put on a football helmet...
Husky Stadium 72,500 > Autzen Stadium 54,000
72.5 is bigger then 54 in rumperPW world right?

When UDubb is winning football games there is not a more intimidating place in the PAC10...

Not the place where you want to throw in a first time starter against a coach who knew every U$C play (and player for that matter)...

Corp has been through a lot the past 2-3 months(from being the starter to contemplating transferring).

IMO he was set up to fail…
A claim I have been making for 6 months…
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by RPW »

blng_blng wrote: I am 100% serious...
You never even put on a football helmet...
Husky Stadium 72,500 > Autzen Stadium 54,000
72.5 is bigger then 54 in rumperPW world right?

When UDubb is winning football games there is not a more intimidating place in the PAC10...

Not the place where you want to throw in a first time starter against a coach who knew every U$C play (and player for that matter)...

Corp has been through a lot the past 2-3 months(from being the starter to contemplating transferring).

IMO he was set up to fail…
A claim I have been making for 6 months…
Let's review.

Loudest stadiums

More Info
Wikipedia wrote:Crowd noise

The Oregon Ducks take the field for the 2007 USC game, the second largest crowd ever at AutzenAutzen is known for its crowd noise. On October 27, 2007, during a 24–17 defeat of the USC Trojans, a record crowd of 59,277 fans was recorded at 127.2 decibels. A similarly-loud 31–27 upset of third-ranked Michigan in 2003 prompted a Michigan Daily columnist to write[6]

“ Autzen's 59,000 strong make the Big House collectively sound like a pathetic whimper. It’s louder than any place I’ve ever been, and that includes The Swamp at Florida, The Shoe in Columbus, and Death Valley at Louisiana State. Autzen Stadium is where great teams go to die. ”

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr later said that Autzen Stadium was the loudest stadium he'd ever been in.[7]

In 2006, a Sporting News columnist named Autzen the most intimidating college football stadium in the nation.[8]

Lee Corso of ESPN College Gameday frequently says that; "Per person Autzen Stadium is the loudest stadium that I have ever been in my entire life!"[9]
Spinmaster you said loudest not largest, so you are wrong.
Throwing a 19 year old kid in front of fans AT Ohio State is far worse than Udubb.
Please list the article and source for this comment of yours:
Corp has been through a lot the past 2-3 months(from being the starter to contemplating transferring).
I am The Voice of Reason
User avatar
Lancer4Life
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:49 am

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by Lancer4Life »

blng_blng wrote: Corp has been through a lot the past 2-3 months(from being the starter to contemplating transferring).
IMO he was set up to fail…
A claim I have been making for 6 months…
I totally agree. Barkley is PC "Golden boy". I still think Barkley would have come out of spring ball as number, but PC gave it to Aaron so he wouldn't transfer to another. Pete is all smoke and mirrors.
The play calling was terrible. 3rd and 1 and they call a pass? Why not a QB sneak like they did with Barkley? The game plan was meant for Aaron to fail.
Image
highschoolsportsfan
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Don't trust Pete Carroll

Post by highschoolsportsfan »

Actually Corp cheesed up in the 2nd quarter when he threw 4 straight incomplete passes and in the 3rd when he threw his INT. He only threw the ball 3 times in the 4th one which was a poor throw to McCoy (A true Duck: I remember making the sound of a shotgun and pointing at that ball while watching the game). The rest of the plays were runs. If it was not for great hustle on Ausberry, McNight's 2nd fumble of the game would have caused the team to not tie it on the field goal in that 4th quarter. McNight fumbled twice only to see both recovered by the Trojans. Corp by no means looked comfortable but who would have (maybe Locker would have) when the RBs fumbled 4 times, three first downs were negated by holding (one was a QB scramble), and questionable play calling (to end the first half). It looked like the whole team was uncomfortable. I know that it falls on the QBs shoulders to carry the burden and lead but playing conservative and playing fearful of making mistakes is contagous to the whole team. That could fall on any of the players on the team. Win as a team and lose as a team. After reading what Aaron said I believe that his emotions got the best of him. He should not have thrown the coach under the bus like he did. As a former coach there really are no excuses that can change what has happened. Hopefully this young man can grow from this experience and make him better. Hopefully it is at USC and if he ever gets the chance again it is with confidence in himself and his teammates the TEAM succeeds. I dont want this to be a Barkley vs Corp thing. I hope that everyone can get past the issues and realize that USC has 2 wet behind the ears local kids playing for a traditionally great program. They both have great talent (otherwise they would not have been recruited here) and lets hope they both make this program stronger. We as fans analyze and scrutinize but I think these players already know the mistakes they have made. Hopefully they are being guided to fixing those mistakes.

FANDAN thank you for cheering for the County kids. I too root for the kids from this county. I am not a UCLA fan but I root for them in all games but when they play USC. Yes even in conference. I want the local kid to do well. I too look forward to more time on this sight.
Post Reply