Stafon Johnson seriously injured

~44~

Stafon Johnson seriously injured

Post by ~44~ »

I guess it was some kind of weight lifting accident.
Last I heard he was in surgery and it is very serious.

Keep him in your thoughts
Hi
WileyWolverine

Re: Stafon Johnson seriously injured

Post by WileyWolverine »

~44~ wrote:I guess it was some kind of weight lifting accident.
Last I heard he was in surgery and it is very serious.

Keep him in your thoughts
Buc... Stafon was benching when he lost control of the weights. Apparently the bar came down on his throat. He was bleeding from the mouth when the rushed him to the hospital. Crushing the trachea or larynx is a very serious injury. Prayers for 13.

Fangupo is out for the season with a broken ankle. Marsh Jones is also out for the season with a cracked vertebrae.
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW

GO LAKERS
WalkingE

Post by WalkingE »

Wow, this is terrible. Keep us updated. He is definitely in my thoughts.
Hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband!
Luca

Post by Luca »

Geez, that was always my nightmare when I would do bench press. You always try to do one more rep but you're tired and in the back of your mind you're thinking "I hope I don't drop this sumbitch on my neck."

I hope nobody was screwing around in the weight room to cause this. On the plus side, if this is strictly a tracheal injury and he didn't do any other damage to the neck or - God forbid - neurologic injury I would think he'd be okay to play again. Luca
~44~

Post by ~44~ »

Hi
Lancer4Life

Post by Lancer4Life »

Any news on how the surgery went?
As much as I am not a SC fan I hate to hear about anyone getting hurt.
~44~

Post by ~44~ »

Here is the status:

Stafon is out of surgery and doctors are confident in his potential recovery. It's going to take some time before the healing process is complete but the prognosis is good.

Stafon had surgery for three things:

* Crushed vocal chord
* adam's apple
* torn muscles

The doctors took a break between surgeries during the day. He didn't require any transfusions during the surgeries and the doctors said he was "pretty strong" which helped limit the damage caused by the weight bar. Stafon was not able to talk at any point in the day after the accident.

if all goes well, the possibility is there for him to return to football next season.
Hi
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

He's lucky (if you can call it that). There was a kid in Los Alamitos a few years back who fell on a bench at school and crushed his larynx and passed away 2 hours later. No one thought it was as serious as it was.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

SoMelo wrote:He's lucky (if you can call it that). There was a kid in Los Alamitos a few years back who fell on a bench at school and crushed his larynx and passed away 2 hours later. No one thought it was as serious as it was.
I think you have your schools mixed up.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Fordama wrote:I think you have your schools mixed up.

Fordama
I said a kid in Los Alamitos.. Not at Los Alamitos. He went to one of those Jr Highs
SOCTE

Post by SOCTE »

Injured USC RB writes to mom after surgery

Associated Press

Updated: September 29, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A doctor says Southern California tailback Stafon Johnson is giving thumbs up signs and communicating in writing to his mother and teammates after undergoing a seven-hour surgery to repair a crushed neck and larynx.

Stafon Johnson leads the team in touchdowns.

The senior was injured in a bench-pressing accident Monday when a bar slipped from his grasp.

Dr. Gudata Hinika, trauma medical director at California Hospital Medical Center, said Tuesday Johnson is unable to speak, but he's recovering well and is in stable condition.

Hinika says it is unclear when Johnson will be able to speak again, but he is expected to fully recover.

Hinika says Johnson may not have survived if he did not have such a muscular physique. He is unlikely to return this season.

Question: Under NCAA Guidelines, is he eligible to red-shirt this season?
Old School

Post by Old School »

SoMelo wrote:oMelo
The kids was from HB, it happen in 2006, a "Smith?" bench....OS knew the child and family, god rest his sole. He did not have a spotter and the weights did not slide off to the side. Hurts still to write this...Talk to your kids about being safe at all times when using weights.
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...
WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine »

SOCTE wrote:
Injured USC RB writes to mom after surgery

Associated Press

Updated: September 29, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A doctor says Southern California tailback Stafon Johnson is giving thumbs up signs and communicating in writing to his mother and teammates after undergoing a seven-hour surgery to repair a crushed neck and larynx.

Stafon Johnson leads the team in touchdowns.

The senior was injured in a bench-pressing accident Monday when a bar slipped from his grasp.

Dr. Gudata Hinika, trauma medical director at California Hospital Medical Center, said Tuesday Johnson is unable to speak, but he's recovering well and is in stable condition.

Hinika says it is unclear when Johnson will be able to speak again, but he is expected to fully recover.

Hinika says Johnson may not have survived if he did not have such a muscular physique. He is unlikely to return this season.

Question: Under NCAA Guidelines, is he eligible to red-shirt this season?
Stafon is one of three Trojans who will qualify for medical red-shirts after the season ends. This should make it a bit easier for the young man to endure sitting out the rest of this season. He will be an inspiration to the Trojans against Cal.

GO LAKERS
Red

Post by Red »

My prayers are with Stafon. Had the opportunity to meet him in person. Very nice person.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Been following this since the announcement. Really hoping that full recovery means just that.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine »

not4u13 wrote:I am hoping this young man makes a full recovery. For those of you that do heavy weight training, do you really see that much extra benefit from using free weights over machines, especially the bench press? Nearly every other free weight excersize allows for the weight to fall harmlessly to the floor if it slips from your hands, except the bench press.

Honest question here. Why not have HS and College athletes skip the free weight bench press and go to machine only?
Free weights are necessary for the ultimate in strength training. In 15-years of judging lifting contests and observing supervised work-outs, I've never seen the results of such a freak accident as what happened to Stafon. Usually a spotter is focusing most on the start and final few attempts by a lifter. As I understand it, Stafon was completing his first attempt of multiple reps.

I'm sure across our country and into thousands of high school, college and pro weight training rooms a higher level attention is and will be paid to spotting. If this is to be a legacy that Stafon's accident created, I'm sure one day he'll look to his miracle as one for all of his contemporaries.

GO LAKERS
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

I'm sure he feels like crap, but did the spotter slip too?
WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine »

SoMelo wrote:I'm sure he feels like crap, but did the spotter slip too?
That's between Coach Carlisle and his assistant who was spotting Stafon. Trojans are taught to keep family business in the family. I'd imagine that Coach Carlisle has given the players and assistants a rewind on technique and safety.

GO LAKERS
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

WileyWolverine wrote:That's between Coach Carlisle and his assistant who was spotting Stafon. Trojans are taught to keep family business in the family. I'd imagine that Coach Carlisle has given the players and assistants a rewind on technique and safety.
One interview I saw on TV suggested the spotter might have had his back turned momentarily. As you mentioned earlier, it is common practice to spot the initial lift, back off during the early reps and then get back into place for the final reps as the lifter goes for the max. I can see someone turning their head away for a second to talk to someone else during some of those early reps, especially when there is an experienced lifter on the bench.

What I am hoping for is that the Trojans come clean with everything that happened, no matter how embarassing it might turn out to be, for the benefit of the weight lifting community.

Additionally, I know there are different approaches to the bench press but I was always taught to position the bar just above the nipples. A hand slip would have dropped the bar on the chest in that case, rather than the neck. I have also seen it done where the bar is closer to the neck. I'd really be curious how Stafon was positioned under the bar, again, to help educate lifters in hopes that this type of accident can be avoided in the future.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Luca

Post by Luca »

He doesn't have to have dropped it on his neck. He could have been doing a standard lift with the weight over the chest when his arms collapsed and the weight could have dropped on his chest and then rolled onto the neck and still done the damage.

I'm still a little suspicious that there was some screwing around going on or the spotter wasn't paying very close attention. Or I suppose his hands could simply have slipped off the bar. At this point it doesn't make any difference. Luca