Re: Heisman Trophy Race

Post by ~44~ »

Source?
Hi
SOCTE

Post by SOCTE »

~44~ wrote:Source?
ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit on College Football Today (10/06/09).
THe Nug

Post by THe Nug »

CBS Sportsline has its college football writers vote and their (early) list looks like this...

1. Jimmy Clausen
(40 points)
2. Tim Tebow
(35 points)
3. Tony Pike
(19 points)
4. Colt McCoy
(10 points)
5. Jacory Harris
(7 points)
6. Toby Gerhart
(6 points)
~44~

Post by ~44~ »

Depending on where their team ends up I think either Kellen Moore and/or Greg McElroy might make the trip to NY.
Hi
Luca

Post by Luca »

If they abolished the Heisman Trophy and took every one ever awarded and melted them all down to make Yugos I'd never miss them.

They almost invariably go annually to the most (over) publicized offensive skill player on a top five or ten ranked team. To claim that this goes to the "best college football player" is a joke when you consider some of the winners in the past. Look how often they tank in the NFL.

It's too bad there's not someway to actually include safeties and linemen and linebackers in this group. It's so bad they actually had to make up separate awards for those positions because sure as hell none of them are ever going to be seriously considered for a Heisman.

All this hype and jockeying and behind the scenes arm twisting has convinced me the most important awards are the Lombardi, the Outland and the Butkus awards.

I realize I'm all by myself here, by the way. Luca
1stngoal

Post by 1stngoal »

Desmond Howard should have his vote revoked.

Says on ESPN College Football Game Day, Jim Clausen is no where near the leading candidate.

He went on to say he and Notre Dame haven't beaten anyone. Said Tebow is still #1...Who has Florida played? Troy, Kentucky, Tennessee who turns out is not that good yet....Wait they did play the mighty Charleston Southern.

I hope LSU run the gators out of Death Valley with a big "L"

Howard Like Mark May has a big issue with Notre Dame
Red

Post by Red »

THe Nug wrote:CBS Sportsline has its college football writers vote and their (early) list looks like this...

Matt Barkley
(75 points)
1. Jimmy Clausen
(40 points)
2. Tim Tebow
(35 points)
3. Tony Pike
(19 points)
4. Colt McCoy
(10 points)
5. Jacory Harris
(7 points)
6. Toby Gerhart :ROFL:
(6 points)
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Tebow looked pretty good last night :thumbsup: .

One thing I liked is that he showed he can still lead the team even when the game isn't on his shoulders. Nice game.

Colt McCoy didn't help his chances at ALL yesterday. I really think he ought to drop out of the top 10 it was so bad.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Luca wrote:If they abolished the Heisman Trophy and took every one ever awarded and melted them all down to make Yugos I'd never miss them.

They almost invariably go annually to the most (over) publicized offensive skill player on a top five or ten ranked team. To claim that this goes to the "best college football player" is a joke when you consider some of the winners in the past. Look how often they tank in the NFL.

It's too bad there's not someway to actually include safeties and linemen and linebackers in this group. It's so bad they actually had to make up separate awards for those positions because sure as hell none of them are ever going to be seriously considered for a Heisman.

All this hype and jockeying and behind the scenes arm twisting has convinced me the most important awards are the Lombardi, the Outland and the Butkus awards.

I realize I'm all by myself here, by the way. Luca
One thing about your comment. The best college players aren't always (or even often) going to be the best NFL players but that doesn't mean they weren't actually the best college players.

I do agree with you that the Heisman is over-rated. There are some outstanding college football players on unranked teams but football being such a team sport, they will never have their chance to shine.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com