Girls Soccer- Rosary High School

lbrookie

Re: Girls Soccer- Rosary High School

Post by lbrookie » Mon May 23, 2011 3:20 pm

sgthartman wrote: actually the class of 2012 began with a freshman class that had a lot of talented players. the freshman/jv team did well. however, once melendez took the reigns (before their sophomore season), several club players decided to drop out of the program. more will follow going into next season. i can't speak on the level of talent that the previous staff had to work with.

I just can't see this happening. The coach seems legit with the credentials to back it up. Where are you getting your info hartman?

atgreek

Post by atgreek » Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 pm

lbrookie wrote:

I just can't see this happening. The coach seems legit with the credentials to back it up. Where are you getting your info hartman?

if you already know why the question? are you the coach?

sgthartman

Post by sgthartman » Mon May 23, 2011 6:59 pm

lbrookie wrote:

have you met the coach? observed his sideline demeanor? you'd know why if you have.
Seven-six-two millimeter. Full. Metal. Jacket.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 pm

My daugher will be an incoming freshman at Rosary next year and will be trying out for the soccer team as well. About 8 other girls from her current school are going to Rosary and they are very excited. I attended the freshman orientation meeting and was impressed by the faculty, the campus and the quality of parents and students.

There is no question that Rosary will be a great environment for my daughter.

Unlike public school she won't have to worry about getting her AZZ kicked for talking to someones boyfriend.

Peace out

Chopblock

Post by Chopblock » Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Grinder wrote:
Well that settles it then, your anecdotal evidence trumps the testimony of three parents who actually sent their kids to both Servite and Rosary. By the way, when the Register did a front page comparison of publics and privates a few years back, not only was the average Rosary class size over a third smaller than Mater Dei (25-15), their SAT scores were better. (This is not a MD slam...I said similar of Servite).
:ROFL: Too funny - and so true!

I sent kids to both schools as well. My daughter had a much more challenging academic curriculum, and WAY more hands on guidance from the counseling staff. I think both schools gave me what I wanted for my children - but once again ex-coach comes off looking like an overly-opinionated ignoramus entirely devoid of factual substance.
"There is no way c'ervite can beat Edison..."
"Is c'ervite offense gonna show up this time?" butt_blng Dec 4/5, 2009

lbrookie

Post by lbrookie » Tue May 24, 2011 7:35 am

atgreek wrote:

if you already know why the question? are you the coach?
I don't know the answer, that's why I'm here. ](*,)

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue May 24, 2011 9:09 am

Chopblock wrote: :ROFL: Too funny - and so true!

I sent kids to both schools as well. My daughter had a much more challenging academic curriculum, and WAY more hands on guidance from the counseling staff. I think both schools gave me what I wanted for my children - but once again ex-coach comes off looking like an overly-opinionated ignoramus entirely devoid of factual substance.
Part of my info comes from career educators not a daddy or mommy who are trying to justify thier choice. Let just say that there is a difference, one can graduate from Rosary by taking academic courses that a UC or CSU would not accept for admissions. An example would be Pre-algebra, at Rosary a student can graduate by taking this course, at Servite it is not even offered and the minimum math course accepted for graduation is Algebra I. Rosary is not a bad school, but it is not Servite either.

sgthartman

Post by sgthartman » Tue May 24, 2011 9:16 am

lbrookie wrote:
I don't know the answer, that's why I'm here. ](*,)
is your daughter on a club soccer team? the current lineup has need at midfield (especially center-mid) and dragoo needs help up top. they probably won't field a freshman team and last season's jv won't add much. if she's on a club team and is a play-maker, she'll get her varsity letter.

observer

Post by observer » Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 am

THETRUTH wrote:
Part of my info comes from career educators not a daddy or mommy who are trying to justify thier choice. Let just say that there is a difference, one can graduate from Rosary by taking academic courses that a UC or CSU would not accept for admissions. An example would be Pre-algebra, at Rosary a student can graduate by taking this course, at Servite it is not even offered and the minimum math course accepted for graduation is Algebra I. Rosary is not a bad school, but it is not Servite either.
MD offers Algebra IA and 1B which count towards graduation. Is that really your basis?

I have 2 boys at/through Servite and 1 through Rosary. There is a difference but you have it backward. In our experience, Rosary was more rigorous, grading was harder, and expectations higher.

Servite has many differences from Rosary, but academic superiority is not one of them.
[hr]Republicans are concerned more about health of the goose while Democrats are concerned about the distribution of its golden eggs
[hr]Simple Voter Guide
If it increases taxes, vote against it; If unions are against it, vote for it

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue May 24, 2011 12:32 pm

observer wrote: MD offers Algebra IA and 1B which count towards graduation. Is that really your basis?

I have 2 boys at/through Servite and 1 through Rosary. There is a difference but you have it backward. In our experience, Rosary was more rigorous, grading was harder, and expectations higher.

Servite has many differences from Rosary, but academic superiority is not one of them.
No, I never once posted anything Alg. IA and B, but I will go through what I did post and add Alg. IA and B so you understand where those courses fit in.

Algebra IA and B, which Servite also offers, is different than Pre-Algebra. The actual Algebra content of pre-algebra is less than 75% of Algebra I and in most cases much less, this is why once students take Pre-Algebra they are then moved onto Algebra I or IA and B. After students comlpete Alg. I or IA and B they move on to Geometry. Servite does not offer Pre-algebra and it is not unusual to ask freshmen who have previously taken Algebra I or IA and B in junior high to repeat the course at Servite. The Math requirement to graduate from Servite is to have taken three years of math beginning with Algebra I. Rosary and MD and almost every other public and private school in Orange County accept Pre-Algebra for teh purpose of meeting math graduation requirements.

I am surprised that as a parent who claims to have sent kids to both schools you do not have a better understanding of each schools graduation requirements.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm

THETRUTH wrote:
Servite also has a math class that is a bit of a joke as a college prep class, though. It's kind of a remedial Algebra 2 course that isn't exactly rigorous--if you catch my drift. Guys who struggle in regular Algebra 2 get placed in there to make sure they get the third year of CSU/UC math.

To be honest, I have never heard--outside of this thread at least--that Servite was academically superior to Rosary. I've always heard it the other way around.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue May 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Fordama wrote:Servite also has a math class that is a bit of a joke as a college prep class, though. It's kind of a remedial Algebra 2 course that isn't exactly rigorous--if you catch my drift. Guys who struggle in regular Algebra 2 get placed in there to make sure they get the third year of CSU/UC math.

To be honest, I have never heard--outside of this thread at least--that Servite was academically superior to Rosary. I've always heard it the other way around.

Fordama
Ok, is your point that this alg. II course is not a higher level of math than Pre-Algebra or that the regular Alg. II course at servite is far more advanced?

What do you expect a Rosary parent to post on an open forum, the ones which would agree with me are no longer Rosary parents.

Oh well, maybe you should get out of Los Al more often!

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue May 24, 2011 4:08 pm

THETRUTH wrote: Ok, is your point that this alg. II course is not a higher level of math than Pre-Algebra or that the regular Alg. II course at servite is far more advanced?
No. It is a way to get guys through the third year that cannot hack the regular Algebra II curriculum. It has nothing to do with somehow Algebra II at Servite being more difficult than Algebra II at any other place.

While Servite does not offer "pre-algebra" they do offer the decelerated Algebra--it slows down the pace of regular Algebra I in half--giving students who struggle in math two years to complete it. It's something that most public schools are doing now since Algebra I became a State mandated graduation requirement.

Mathematically speaking, I like Rosary's approach a lot better: if a student isn't ready for the regular one-year Algebra I course then put them in Pre-algebra first instead of creating a dumbed-down two-year Algebra curriculum.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue May 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Fordama wrote:No. It is a way to get guys through the third year that cannot hack the regular Algebra II curriculum. It has nothing to do with somehow Algebra II at Servite being more difficult than Algebra II at any other place.

While Servite does not offer "pre-algebra" they do offer the decelerated Algebra--it slows down the pace of regular Algebra I in half--giving students who struggle in math two years to complete it. It's something that most public schools are doing now since Algebra I became a State mandated graduation requirement.

Mathematically speaking, I like Rosary's approach a lot better: if a student isn't ready for the regular one-year Algebra I course then put them in Pre-algebra first instead of creating a dumbed-down two-year Algebra curriculum.

Fordama
Thanks for teh info, i never knew what Alg. IA and B were, hahaha.

Wolves

Girls Soccer- Rosary High School

Post by Wolves » Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Another thread that compares a school to Servite.

Did you all forget about the Lutherans?
They were just as competitive as any team last year.
Tied Mater Dei...Tied Santa Margarita.

Beat Rosary Twice...

sgthartman

Post by sgthartman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:44 am

Wolves wrote:Another thread that compares a school to Servite.

Did you all forget about the Lutherans?
They were just as competitive as any team last year.
Tied Mater Dei...Tied Santa Margarita.

Beat Rosary Twice...
yes, but you're team loses a lot with graduation. tobin is your savior. trinity race is wide open next year IMO.

observer

Post by observer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 am

THETRUTH wrote:
No, I never once posted anything Alg. IA and B, but I will go through what I did post and add Alg. IA and B so you understand where those courses fit in.

Algebra IA and B, which Servite also offers, is different than Pre-Algebra. The actual Algebra content of pre-algebra is less than 75% of Algebra I and in most cases much less, this is why once students take Pre-Algebra they are then moved onto Algebra I or IA and B. After students comlpete Alg. I or IA and B they move on to Geometry. Servite does not offer Pre-algebra and it is not unusual to ask freshmen who have previously taken Algebra I or IA and B in junior high to repeat the course at Servite. The Math requirement to graduate from Servite is to have taken three years of math beginning with Algebra I. Rosary and MD and almost every other public and private school in Orange County accept Pre-Algebra for teh purpose of meeting math graduation requirements.

I am surprised that as a parent who claims to have sent kids to both schools you do not have a better understanding of each schools graduation requirements.
My daughter started Rosary with Algebra II and completed through AP Calculus BC; I had no reason to care whether pre-algebra would or would not count towards graduation.
[hr]Republicans are concerned more about health of the goose while Democrats are concerned about the distribution of its golden eggs
[hr]Simple Voter Guide
If it increases taxes, vote against it; If unions are against it, vote for it

Wolves

Post by Wolves » Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 am

sgthartman wrote: yes, but you're team loses a lot with graduation. tobin is your savior. trinity race is wide open next year IMO.
Not true Sarge.

The Lutherans only graduate one starter. 7 sophmore starters last year. Watch out for the Lutherans!!!
The incoming freshman class is extremly talented.

Lutherans are on the rise.

Sonseed

Post by Sonseed » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Wolves wrote:
Not true Sarge.

The Lutherans only graduate one starter. 7 sophmore starters last year. Watch out for the Lutherans!!!
The incoming freshman class is extremly talented.

Lutherans are on the rise.
Never and I mean never send your daughter to Lutheran: see below
lhvugi-b78768182z.120110310233141000ggvttjuu.1.jpg
lhvugi-b78768182z.120110310233141000ggvttjuu.1.jpg (27.23 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Seed

Wolves

Post by Wolves » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Sonseed wrote:
Never and I mean never send your daughter to Lutheran: see below
lhvugi-b78768182z.120110310233141000ggvttjuu.1.jpg
Seed

Never mind them. Those are Servite and Newport Harbor transfers.