Klay Thompson Drafted Into NBA

oceanvue

Re: Klay Thompson Drafted Into NBA

Post by oceanvue » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:07 am

I really don't understand the pick by Golden St. they already have Stephen Curry at 2 and Monta Ellis really a 2. I assume they're going to trade Ellis for a penetrating guard although they were talking to the Lakers about Odom. Who knows what Mark Jackson has up his sleeve other than east coast half court "pound it ball". Thompson's not physical enough to guard 3's. We'll see I wish him the best

atgreek

Post by atgreek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:09 am

Red wrote:
I'm hoping they are playing around. No matter what anybody's opinion of Mr. Thompson is, he did have the honor of being drafted to the NBA. That means he is getting paid pretty good money. Good Luck to Klay!

Go ahead and make fun of of KLAY, he got drafted in the NBA!

I would have deleted the thread if I thought they were being serious.

Klay gets paid big bucks to play in the NBA,
while you sit concocting snippets, wishing you'd collect some dimes
so you could buy some tickets, and go watch a game sometimes.

atgreek

Post by atgreek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:10 am

oceanvue wrote:I really don't understand the pick by Golden St. they already have Stephen Curry at 2 and Monta Ellis really a 2. I assume they're going to trade Ellis for a penetrating guard although they were talking to the Lakers about Odom. Who knows what Mark Jackson has up his sleeve other than east coast half court "pound it ball". Thompson's not physical enough to guard 3's. We'll see I wish him the best

I agree, a trade is coming.

RandyF59

Post by RandyF59 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:14 am

Luca wrote:Unlike the rest of us who, like myself, have never carried a marijuana cigarette. (Actually, I think I DUI'd a bunch when I was in high school, but I can't remember since I was so hammered at the time)

Luca
I figured you to be the "hooka pipe" type :mrgreen:

Luca, people here respect you so please don't joke about drinking and driving. [-X

ancient

Post by ancient » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:22 am

Y'all spilling your vitriol on Klay are just green with envy in the face;
Simply because paper green will be deposited in the Warrior's case.

Y'all think you're so clever because you can spit some drug rhyme;
While in y'alls pocket is probably only one thin dime.

Y'all better get to confession and confess your crime;
And let that green in your face soften to a subtle shade of lime.

Envy is an ugly thing;
But it's the worthy Warrior who'll wear the ring.

And, Luca, everything you said is right,
And these L'il Tiggers just want to force a fight.
Forever they will live without sight,
And tremble with fear at honorable men with true might!

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 pm

That was retarded and who cares if he gets paid, he should he's got talent and worked hard

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Luca wrote:
Normally, you'd think it would be good news that a local kid did well in college and was an early first-round draft pick.

But apparently it doesn't mean much this year since this was a weak draft and being considered the 11th best available player in the country conversely is cause for denigrating the kid's character and ability.

Certainly, I was deluded into thinking Thompson must be pretty good if he went #11. Evidently somebody was enthusiastic about him and his name was Jerry West. West, hopelessly old-school, perhaps was duped by the concept of a kid who actually played four years at the same high school and attended only one college. Fortunately for us, we have some astute nonpartisan observers to set us straight, because evidently Thompson is not very athletic and can't play defense or pass and is of questionable character because he got caught holding a marijuana cigarette....... Unlike the rest of us who, like myself, have never carried a marijuana cigarette. (Actually, I think I DUI'd a bunch when I was in high school, but I can't remember since I was so hammered at the time)

It's therefore refreshing to hear, Bob, that you "call it like you see it" because certainly we can all appreciate someone whose comments aren't soiled by petty high school partisanship.

This being the case, I wonder what your take would be on a local high school quarterback who got busted for being drunk and disorderly, breaking in and molesting a coed? How would you feel about a local kid, also a quarterback, who walked out on his pregnant girlfriend and then had his picture in the paper nationwide for staging quasi-orgies in his backyard? How about a local high school employing an assistant football coach who got arrested for using those school contacts to scam investors out of a few million?

Feel free to call it like you see it and - remember - "Sports do not build character, they reveal it." Luca
Ah here we go, finally an interesting thread that's actually going somewhere.

People (myself included) were excited about Ryan Leaf getting drafted, I'm pretty sure there's these things called busts Luca, and it happens frequently in the NBA more than any other sport imo due to how the contracts are setup. Klay Thompson may be a bust, and if Bob thinks he was overdrafted than it isn't wrong for him to state his opinion, he also gave more proof and understanding than everyone else on this thread combined. None of you explained yourself why he was worth it at 11 other than "well he went to SM and I saw him play four years ago so he must be good."

2 things also - Sanchez was never convicted for anything, and therefore doesn't hold up. It isn't illegal to knock up a girl and then not want to stay with her. Leinart is not avoiding being a father or paying child support so once again no illegal activity.

Do I think marijuana is a big deal? No, but it's still illegal and he was caught for it. Everyone in the MD community hung that assistant coach out to dry for doing what he did. You act like people don't question the other things are unfairly questioning Thompson which isn't true. In the court of public opinion all those people were questioned.

I look forward to reading what you think makes Thompson worth it at number 11, and why he won't be a bust.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:21 pm

RandyF59 wrote: I figured you to be the "hooka pipe" type :mrgreen:

Luca, people here respect you so please don't joke about drinking and driving. [-X
I drink and drive at least twice a week.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Notorious wrote: I drink and drive at least twice a week.
and that's only because you're too drunk to walk

TellIt

Post by TellIt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:13 pm

I would venture to say he is better/drafted higher than any Md player EVER.! Can you name a Md player that is/was better?

pshaw

Post by pshaw » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:05 pm

TellIt wrote:I would venture to say he is better/drafted higher than any Md player EVER.! Can you name a Md player that is/was better?
Umm, there was one guy who won a national title, was NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player, Final Four MVP and a First Team All-American...does that seem "is/was better" to you?

TellIt

Post by TellIt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:46 pm

pshaw wrote: Umm, there was one guy who won a national title, was NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player, Final Four MVP and a First Team All-American...does that seem "is/was better" to you?
Umm, when was he drafted and how long did he play in the league? BTW, we are talking about being drafted and playing in NBA, not high school(Taylor King) or college success(Miles Simon) Obviously, that doesn't matter when entering the NBA....

pshaw

Post by pshaw » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 am

TellIt wrote: Umm, when was he drafted and how long did he play in the league? BTW, we are talking about being drafted and playing in NBA, not high school(Taylor King) or college success(Miles Simon) Obviously, that doesn't matter when entering the NBA....
Then maybe you should have asked that question in the first place instead of "Can you name a Md player that is/was better?"

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:07 am

N/A
Last edited by cruiser on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPW

Post by RPW » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:28 am

ancient wrote:Y'all spilling your vitriol on Klay are just green with envy in the face;
Simply because paper green will be deposited in the Warrior's case.

Y'all think you're so clever because you can spit some drug rhyme;
While in y'alls pocket is probably only one thin dime.

Y'all better get to confession and confess your crime;
And let that green in your face soften to a subtle shade of lime.

Envy is an ugly thing;
But it's the worthy Warrior who'll wear the ring.

And, Luca, everything you said is right,
And these L'il Tiggers just want to force a fight.
Forever they will live without sight,
And tremble with fear at honorable men with true might!

Outside of ANDUR is there one non-crazy lady in Coto without fake boobs and botox?
I am The Voice of Reason

TellIt

Post by TellIt » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:34 am

pshaw wrote: Then maybe you should have asked that question in the first place instead of "Can you name a Md player that is/was better?"
My point is, neither one of those guys where drafted higher than Klay. Therefore you Md people should stop doing what you accuse everyone else of doing. Hating. Thompson is a local kid that did something no Md player has ever done, be a lottery pick.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:16 am

I can't think of anyone from OC ever drafted higher. Leron Ellis at 21

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Notorious wrote:Ah here we go, finally an interesting thread that's actually going somewhere.

People (myself included) were excited about Ryan Leaf getting drafted, I'm pretty sure there's these things called busts Luca, and it happens frequently in the NBA more than any other sport imo due to how the contracts are setup. Klay Thompson may be a bust, and if Bob thinks he was overdrafted than it isn't wrong for him to state his opinion, he also gave more proof and understanding than everyone else on this thread combined. ..........

Do I think marijuana is a big deal? No, but it's still illegal and he was caught for it. Everyone in the MD community hung that assistant coach out to dry for doing what he did. You act like people don't question the other things are unfairly questioning Thompson which isn't true. In the court of public opinion all those people were questioned.

I look forward to reading what you think makes Thompson worth it at number 11, and why he won't be a bust.
I have to disagree with you, Notorious. The only place this thread has gone is downhill and that is because it has devolved into the typically petty zero-sum reticence to credit a local athlete who didn't attend ones own favorite high school.

This thread started with somebody simply congratulating a local kid on his success. It was followed by a string of denigrating remarks by a few posters who feel a need to tarnish the athlete's accomplishments. If you scroll down this website just a few threads you will see that one of them recently originated one in order to recognize a high school kid from Mater Dei for making an under-16 national team. This, by contrast, is judged a big deal and nobody found it necessary to point out this particular kid's athletic shortcomings. But, by God, let a kid from another school get drafted atop the NBA and this can't pass unchallenged. You and I both know - or should know - the compulsions involved here.

Yes, Notorious, Ryan Leaf did bomb, and so did more than a few kids from the high schools prized by our local critics. Of course Thompson could be a bust in the pros. Anyone could be. But right now he's a 21-year-old kid who is the 11th draft choice in the NBA and all ancient wanted to do was offer her congratulations.

Thompson is a phenomenal shooter and he is tall and certain NBA teams see a role for that. No, he didn't have a lot of assists, but then again he was employed as a shooter, not a point guard. You will note that Golden State didn't really need a shooter but felt that Thompson was too good to pass on and so they drafted him anyway, sharing the enthusiastic assessment of Jerry West. Draw your own conclusions. If Bob has questions about the wisdom of the choice, he can take it up with Mr. West, who has been known for the occasional ability to spot talent.

Notorious wrote:None of you explained yourself why he was worth it at 11 other than "well he went to SM and I saw him play four years ago so he must be good."
No one on this thread has offered a statement remotely resembling that and your having to relegate to straw dog fallacies to make a point is informative.
Notorious wrote:2 things also - Sanchez was never convicted for anything, and therefore doesn't hold up. It isn't illegal to knock up a girl and then not want to stay with her. Leinart is not avoiding being a father or paying child support so once again no illegal activity.
I was not referring to Sanchez, nor was I referring merely to legal versus illegal activity. I was referring to the question of character, of overall behavior. I believe it unlikely that those who criticize Klay Thompson's character for having been arrested for possession of marijuana differ from him (in terms of character) in any respect other than that they didn't get caught. Whether or not you're actually caught while engaging in illegal activity does not define "character." If the critics here have never held or smoked a marijuana cigarette, they have my sincere apologies.

I'm not going to get caught up in these types of threads. The fact that he was drafted #11 speaks for itself. The fact that some partisans criticize the kid personally while overlooking worse behavior on the part of those dearer to their hearts also speaks for itself. Luca

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:42 pm

I am not going to debate whether Klay should have been drafted where he was...
Congratulations to him and all those who were picked in the first round and therefore
receive guaranteed contracts. If this was a down year for potential players...well
they lucked out. What do they say...being in the right place at the right time.....
Most everyone of the experts and sport broadcasters have said that this was
a "down year" but the statements that I think that are worth debating is what
some are saying that in a few years....at least half of the players in the NBA
will be nationals from outside the USA. What do you think of that????

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

longtimeobserver wrote:I am not going to debate whether Klay should have been drafted where he was...
Congratulations to him and all those who were picked in the first round and therefore
receive guaranteed contracts. If this was a down year for potential players...well
they lucked out. What do they say...being in the right place at the right time.....
Most everyone of the experts and sport broadcasters have said that this was
a "down year" but the statements that I think that are worth debating is what
some are saying that in a few years....at least half of the players in the NBA
will be nationals from outside the USA. What do you think of that????
Obviously we (USA, Uncle Sam, yada yada yada) need to rethink our immigration policy regarding elite athletes. :mrgreen: