Anyone Watching LB Poly's Hard Knocks-esque Reality Show?

THe Nug

Anyone Watching LB Poly's Hard Knocks-esque Reality Show?

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:42 am

I caught an episode the other night and it was a damn good program.

They have been showing it on the Audience Network (Channel 500) on DirecTV. If you don't have DirecTV I think it's on Current Network as well.

Notorious

Re: Anyone Watching LB Poly's Hard Knocks-esque Reality Show

Post by Notorious » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:55 am

Did it show Raul Lara drawing plays in the dirt?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:58 am

Notorious wrote:Did it show Raul Lara drawing plays in the dirt?
No. But it did show him flat out telling the team if they go 6-6 again he's not going to have a job next year.

Grand Supreme

Post by Grand Supreme » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 am

I liked it...
I have more respect for Lara now...
You have to be a parole officer to deal w/ Eastside LBC kids...
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:06 pm

I don't like it very much. It up plays the rich vs. poor thing way too much. A lot of it is very obviously scripted, and I just can't help but feel like it is trying to insert way too much socio-economic commentary where it isn't needed.

I mainly watch the show to see MD end their season in the season finale.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:08 pm

pattywannamack wrote:I don't like it very much. It up plays the rich vs. poor thing way too much. A lot of it is very obviously scripted, and I just can't help but feel like it is trying to insert way too much socio-economic commentary where it isn't needed.

The rich vs. poor thing is a reality for these kids. Someone who attended private school may just not be able to relate to the subject matter.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Poor kids always make it a rich kids vs. poor kids rivalry which I always thought was dumb.

Rich kids don't consider poor kids people which I always considered fair.

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:18 pm

pattywannamack wrote:I don't like it very much. It up plays the rich vs. poor thing way too much. A lot of it is very obviously scripted, and I just can't help but feel like it is trying to insert way too much socio-economic commentary where it isn't needed.

I also wanted to see this...I don't get direct TV
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm

THe Nug wrote:
The rich vs. poor thing is a reality for these kids. Someone who attended private school may just not be able to relate to the subject matter.
Maybe, but having spent the last year in Long Beach, it really isn't that bad of a town. Like every city, there's good parts and bad parts but as a whole it's a nice place to be. I just think that there could be so much more to this show than the standard "We're poor so we have to work hard and rich people are bad, unfair, and lazy" rhetoric.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 pm

pattywannamack wrote:
Maybe, but having spent the last year in Long Beach, it really isn't that bad of a town. Like every city, there's good parts and bad parts but as a whole it's a nice place to be. I just think that there could be so much more to this show than the standard "We're poor so we have to work hard and rich people are bad, unfair, and lazy" rhetoric.
Something I never understood, as if rich and/or private schools work less hard than players at public and/or poor schools.

regularbob

Post by regularbob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:35 pm

THe Nug wrote:
No. But it did show him flat out telling the team if they go 6-6 again he's not going to have a job next year.
With 5000+ students and the ability to draw every good football player in Long Beach. Along with the fact if you are a good football player growing up in the LB, it is pretty much pre-determined that you will go to LBP. I would think a 6-6 season is an extreme failure and he shouldnt have a job.
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

regularbob

Post by regularbob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:05 pm

THe Nug wrote:
Attachments
whitegirl.jpg
whitegirl.jpg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Country

Post by Country » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah I've been watching the series. It's comes on Current TV, channel 142 for TWC.

Really ? The only episode I recalled where they really played it was the Mission Viejo episode.

I hope it gets a 2nd season just so I can see a LB v. Grant episode.

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Notorious wrote:Poor kids always make it a rich kids vs. poor kids rivalry which I always thought was dumb.

Rich kids don't consider poor kids people which I always considered fair.
That's like a white man in the '60s claiming "The back of the bus ain't so bad," while he zips by in Cadillac.

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:03 pm

pattywannamack wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but Orange County Water Polo players might be the worst assesors of socioeconomic issues in the history of the world. It's like asking a crack fiend how to balance a checkbook. Just not the right skill set.

But that doesn't mean you don't have skillz buddy. Bet your s'mores are the bomb.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:10 pm

THe Nug wrote:
That's like a white man in the '60s claiming "The back of the bus ain't so bad," while he zips by in Cadillac.
Exactly except now it's more like him zipping by in his Cadillac saying "what's a bus?"

Grand Supreme

Post by Grand Supreme » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm

I most cities it take 2-3 blocks to "fade" from a good neighborhood to a bad one...
In Long Beach the "good neighborhood" is on one side of the street and the "bad one" is on the other side...

afan95

Post by afan95 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:41 pm

The thing I don't like about it is the way some of these kids think the only way "out of Long Beach" is that athletic scholarship. Especially that one boy, Demond??, who's not even starting. What about going to college or even a trade school? You can't tell me that getting an education isn't an equally good way to get out of Long Beach.

I would like to recommend 2 books that my son read for a college diversity class paper he wrote.
1. In Black and White, Race and Sports in America by Kenneth L. Shropshire (a classic)
2. Race, Sport and the American Dream by Earl Smith

He told me I should read them and I did and they were both outstanding books and made me appreciate and understand issues surrounding African American athletes that I never realized. Both of them are written by African American writers (scholars really) and both of them mention in chapters how African American athletes and their families focus so much on the athletic scholarship that they forget about the academics. That's where non-African American families differ they point out. Academics usually come first but if there is a talent in a sport, then the focus could turn to that.
(My son's paper wasn't on this topic BTW, but the book contained this issue as well as his topic matter).
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Grand Supreme

Post by Grand Supreme » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:54 pm

afan95 wrote:The thing I don't like about it is the way some of these kids think the only way "out of Long Beach" is that athletic scholarship. Especially that one boy, Demond??, who's not even starting. What about going to college or even a trade school? You can't tell me that getting an education isn't an equally good way to get out of Long Beach.

I would like to recommend 2 books that my son read for a college diversity class paper he wrote.
1. In Black and White, Race and Sports in America by Kenneth L. Shropshire (a classic)
2. Race, Sport and the American Dream by Earl Smith

He told me I should read them and I did and they were both outstanding books and made me appreciate and understand issues surrounding African American athletes that I never realized. Both of them are written by African American writers (scholars really) and both of them mention in chapters how African American athletes and their families focus so much on the athletic scholarship that they forget about the academics. That's where non-African American families differ they point out. Academics usually come first but if there is a talent in a sport, then the focus could turn to that.
(My son's paper wasn't on this topic BTW, but the book contained this issue as well as his topic matter).
I saw a segment where Lara basically broke down how college think in regards to size and he was really straight forward w/ one kid on the likelihood he would get a scholarship...

But I think it is a good show and Lara does an outstanding job given the kids he has to deal with...

afan95

Post by afan95 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Grand Supreme wrote:
I saw a segment where Lara basically broke down how college think in regards to size and he was really straight forward w/ one kid on the likelihood he would get a scholarship...

But I think it is a good show and Lara does an outstanding job given the kids he has to deal with...
Yes, and that was the same kid that later said the scholarship was his way out of Long Beach. Lara's comments went in one ear and out the other. These kids see Kobe, LeBron, Ochocinco or whatever his name is at the moment, etc and all they see is the bling.

They should listen to Herm Edwards' speech that he gave to this year's incoming rookies...now that was a life lesson for every young man.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP