Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Zebra

Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by Zebra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I figured I better get this done before the season starts and they put a muzzle on me and thought it would be fun to start putting up some of our test questions that we have on our Summer Exam. Let's see how well some of you know the rules. I've already turned in my test so you won't be giving me the answers 8-[ ....

Here's the first question (A=offense/B=defense):

A's ball, 3rd and 6 at A38. A1 is running up the middle when he is grabbed standing up by several team
B players at team A’s 45 yardline. A1 keeps his feet moving to try to break the
tackle. After the tacklers shove A1 one step backward, B2 knocks the ball loose
from A1’s grasp. The whistle had not yet been blown when the ball became
loose. B3 recovers the ball at team A’s 42 yardline.

a. Five-yard penalty for delay on B2.
b. Team A’s ball at team A’s 45 yardline.
c. Team B’s ball at team A’s 42 yardline.

What say ye? Show your work ...
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

RPW

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by RPW » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Zebra wrote:I figured I better get this done before the season starts and they put a muzzle on me and thought it would be fun to start putting up some of our test questions that we have on our Summer Exam. Let's see how well some of you know the rules. I've already turned in my test so you won't be giving me the answers 8-[ ....

A's ball, 3rd and 6 at A38. A1 is running up the middle when he is grabbed standing up by several team

C. The whistle controls the action and as usual the ref is late calling the play dead.
I am The Voice of Reason

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Zebra wrote:I figured I better get this done before the season starts and they put a muzzle on me and thought it would be fun to start putting up some of our test questions that we have on our Summer Exam. Let's see how well some of you know the rules. I've already turned in my test so you won't be giving me the answers 8-[ ....

B

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Trick question. There is no correct answer. Depends on which side you are rooting for.

IF A, you yell at the offical becasue he didn't blow the whistle.

If B, It's a Fumble. B's ball at the 42.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 pm

So far out of the three answers, two of them blame the officials .. classic! :rockon:

This is going to be fun! Questions posted at 1200 hrs - answers at 1800 hrs daily. :cheers:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Gotta go with C. It's all about when and where the whistle blew.

uncle28

Post by uncle28 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Correct answer: C.

Defenses are coached to stand guys up and rip the ball out...and since the whistle didn't blow...ball goes to team B at 42-yard line.

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Zebra wrote:So far out of the three answers, two of them blame the officials .. classic! :rockon:

This is going to be fun! Questions posted at 1200 hrs - answers at 1800 hrs daily. :cheers:
Do we assume the whistle was not blown becasue the ref could not see over the linemen?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm

It depends on your politics. Republicans say you play 'til the fat lady sings, unless you fumble the ball before she hits her first note. Then you claim the b!tch is in Obama's back pocket, and whine about how the fumble wasn't Bush's fault.

Democrats split the difference, put the ball on the 43 1/2 yard line, and give possession to C, who wasn't even in the game. They give C five downs to make a first down for the rest of the game, unless C looks Hispanic. Then they get six.

(I think the answer is C.)

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:22 pm

THe Nug wrote:
Do we assume the whistle was not blown becasue the ref could not see over the linemen?

:shock: I resemble that statement .. hehe

edcoil

Post by edcoil » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't get many of this right since I am always working the snack bar. BTW X's and O's would make this easier. :rockon:

A: No, play in progress in question
B: No whistle
C: Yes, the player was still trying to move the play, stripped of ball and lost it. Course one assumes someone fell on the ball at the 42 and it is on the ground otherwise, my team would have scored a touch down! \:D/

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:26 pm

It's those lying cheating commie democrats fault, either that or (C)

THe Nug

Post by THe Nug » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:29 pm

MDDad wrote:
It depends on your politics. Republicans say you play 'til the fat lady sings, unless you fumble the ball before she hits her first note. Then you claim the b!tch is in Obama's back pocket, and whine about how the fumble wasn't Bush's fault.

Democrats split the difference, put the ball on the 43 1/2 yard line, and give possession to C, who wasn't even in the game. They give C five downs to make a first down for the rest of the game, unless C looks Hispanic. Then they get six.

(I think the answer is C.)
Sounds like the overtime rule in College Football.

JDK0827

Post by JDK0827 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:38 pm

D. none of the above :iknow: :iknow: :iknow: :iknow:

UniDad

Post by UniDad » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

C.

"The whistle had not yet been blown when the ball became loose."
Butler University Bulldogs - GO DAWGS!

Duquesne University Dukes - GO DUKES!

Morro Bay High School Pirates - GO PIRATES!

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:26 pm

You didn't even specify which team was home or away.

I can't make the call unless you tell me if the refs are going to get booed or not.

Is Mater Dei team A? Is it at the Santa Ana Bowl? If so it's a 15 yard penalty for a late hit on Team B somewhere.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 pm

This was the situation: A's ball, 3rd and 6 at A38. A1 is running up the middle when he is grabbed standing up by several team B players at team A’s 45 yard line. A1 keeps his feet moving to try to break the tackle. After the tacklers shove A1 one step backward, B2 knocks the ball loose from A1’s grasp. The whistle had not yet been blown when the ball became loose. B3 recovers the ball at team A’s 42 yard line.

The correct answer is B. Good job, Melo! :notworthy: The ball belongs to Team A because forward progress was stopped at the 45 yd line (indicated in red above).

Two very important things to remember and most mortals do not know or believe this but it is true:

1. The whistle does NOT kill the play or cause the ball to become dead unless it is inadvertent and that’s another whole can of worms. The whistle indicates the play is over, the action on the field determines if the whistle blows or not. (Ball carrier falls, obvious incomplete pass) Many times during a game you won’t hear a whistle after the play, listen closely sometime. I know coaches coach the whistle (I did also when I coached) but my suggestion is to stop, because you will get personal fouls called.
2. The other thing is once forward progress happens, anything after that is moot unless someone comes in and hammers another player.

Forward progress (Rule 2 Section 15) is defined:
Art. 1 … Forward progress is the end of advancement of the ball in a runner’s possession or the forward-most point of the ball when it is fumbled out of bounds toward the opponent’s goal and it determines the dead ball spot.
Art. 2 … When an airborne player makes a catch, forward progress is the furthest point of advancement after he possesses the ball if contacted by a defender.

For our discussion, the rule on DEAD BALL AND END OF THE DOWN (Rule 4 Section 2 Art. 2a) applies: The ball becomes dead and the down is ended when:
a. The runner goes out of bounds, is held so his forward progress is stopped or allows any part of his person other than hand or foot to touch the ground. (The exception is the point after try when the holder’s knee is down, again, another can of worms on a bad snap).

Let's review, in the situation above the runner was stopped and then fumbled the ball. The rule states that once forward progress is stopped, the ball becomes dead. Team possession cannot change on a dead ball. Whether a whistle was blown or not is not an issue on the play because the play ended when progress was stopped by rule. The reality is, we'd like the whistle as the progress is stopped because the ball IS dead at that point, but sometimes, that doesn't happen because the official is watching the blocking in front or is blocked (as TheNUG correctly points out). In those cases we officials may be responsible for a personal foul happening, and that's unfortunate. Our crew strives to recognize when the runner has lost progress and one of my major tasks on the flank is to get that call right everytime . The flanks are the only officials responsible for forward progress. The officiating crew should discuss the sequence of events and rule that the offense will retain possession due to the forward progress.

Forward progress is one of the most complained about situations like when the defense grabs the ballcarrier at the LOS and drives him back 10 yards and the officials put the ball back at the LOS .. people hate that. The crowd for Team B WILL get all over our @$$3$ as RPW pointed out. Team A will laud us for our correct mechanics and expert rules knowledge. Team C is out of luck on this one ….

Start flinging but remember, I’m here to help. :cheers:

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm

I still think the best answer was "Not enough information given"
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Notorious wrote:I still think the best answer was "Not enough information given"
No, I think you are jealous