Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

LanceSterling
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by LanceSterling » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Zebra wrote:Here's the next one .. (A=Offense/B=Defense).

Team A uses a hurry-up offense as it quickly moves to its LOS.
WR A1, who is still in the game after running a pass pattern in the middle of the
field on the previous play, did not enter his team’s huddle and goes to a position
about a yard inside the sideline before the ready signal. At the snap, A1 goes
downfield and catches a pass. The covering official rules A1’s act was not an
attempt to deceive.

a. No problem.
b. A1 should be flagged for illegal formation.
c. A1 should be flagged for illegal substitution.


This is another call that either flank would have sole responsibilty to make the call. Show your work .... :cheers:
A. No problem

Oregon did this all day to USC, kept calling three plays in the huddle and going to the line made for a long day to figure out how to stop it.

User avatar
Wiley
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by Wiley » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:13 pm

A
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by SoMelo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm

B - there's a certain distance the player has to be within the boundaries of the field

LanceSterling
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by LanceSterling » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:22 pm

SoMelo wrote:B

You have to show your work
Attachments
wtf.gif
wtf.gif (2.98 MiB) Viewed 186 times

socalfootballfan
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:42 am

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by socalfootballfan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Zebra wrote:Here's the next one .. (A=Offense/B=Defense).

Team A uses a hurry-up offense as it quickly moves to its LOS.
WR A1, who is still in the game after running a pass pattern in the middle of the
field on the previous play, did not enter his team’s huddle and goes to a position
about a yard inside the sideline before the ready signal. At the snap, A1 goes
downfield and catches a pass. The covering official rules A1’s act was not an
attempt to deceive.

a. No problem.
b. A1 should be flagged for illegal formation.
c. A1 should be flagged for illegal substitution.


This is another call that either flank would have sole responsibilty to make the call. Show your work .... :cheers:
Which is it? Hurry up offense or did the offense huddle up? Looks to me like they are trying to trick you with the actual question.

If the offensive team huddled up, the answer is C

If the offensive team did not huddle up, the answer is A

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by SoMelo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

LanceSterling wrote:

You have to show your work
I fixed it

alonzomoseley
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:17 am

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by alonzomoseley » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Like socalfootballfan states, if the offense does not huddle (because they are in their hurry-up offense and have already called the next play), then there is no problem. Answer is A.

However, the question states that there was a huddle ("receiver does not enter the huddle - meaning the other 10 players huddled up - and lines up 1 yard inside the sideline"), therefore the answer is B.

User avatar
SOCTE
Posts: 4033
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by SOCTE » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:11 pm

B
Image

LanceSterling
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by LanceSterling » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:14 pm

SoMelo wrote:B - there's a certain distance the player has to be within the boundaries of the field

Really ever watch college extra points like USC's they put them on the edge and run in.

User avatar
oceanvue
Posts: 5928
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Japanese don't have word for "hurry up offense"
Image

LanceSterling
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by LanceSterling » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:21 pm

alonzomoseley wrote:Like socalfootballfan states, if the offense does not huddle (because they are in their hurry-up offense and have already called the next play), then there is no problem. Answer is A.

However, the question states that there was a huddle ("receiver does not enter the huddle - meaning the other 10 players huddled up - and lines up 1 yard inside the sideline"), therefore the answer is B.

There is no requirement to huddle. All sports from basketball to cricket have huddles.

In football the huddle started in 1869 for a deaf team not wanting the other team to see the hand signals of the play. Prior to the 1890s, teams in general did not form huddles.

There is no requirement for a huddle or how many players have to be in it.

O-Zebra, you should start a new thread with each question or this is going to get very long.

User avatar
oceanvue
Posts: 5928
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 pm

you can't break a huddle with more than 11 players
Image

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by SoMelo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:32 pm

LanceSterling wrote:

Really ever watch college extra points like USC's they put them on the edge and run in.
I hate u$c... Why would I watch them?

LanceSterling
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by LanceSterling » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:55 pm

SoMelo wrote: I hate u$c... Why would I watch them?
Cause you have a green id so you cannot hijack threads or give personal opinions cause you're the monitor and have to remain unbiased.

User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by Notorious » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:13 pm

LanceSterling wrote:
Cause you have a green id so you cannot hijack threads or give personal opinions cause you're the monitor and have to remain unbiased.
so you cannot hijack threads or give personal opinions cause you're the monitor and have to remain unbiased.
cause you're the monitor and have to remain unbiased.
cause you're the monitor
monitor
LOLWUT?

Image
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

User avatar
Zebra
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:48 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by Zebra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Okay, round two went like this: Team A uses a hurry-up offense as it quickly moves to its LOS.
WR A1, who is still in the game after running a pass pattern in the middle of the
field on the previous play, did not enter his team’s huddle and goes to a position
about a yard inside the sideline before the ready signal. At the snap, A1 goes
downfield and catches a pass. The covering official rules A1’s act was not an
attempt to deceive.


a. No problem.
b. A1 should be flagged for illegal formation. - correct answer.
c. A1 should be flagged for illegal substitution.

A few of you cited NCAA games and I'm not sure what the NCAA rule is, not doing it this season. It may be different than NFHS Rules, I'm trying to verify that with a colleague. There are alot of misconceptions on what rule sets apply to HS games. Saturday (NCAA) and Sunday (NFL) have some subtle and some galring differences in the same rule. Those rules regarding this situation are described in the NFHS Rule Book in Rule 7 - Snapping, Handing and Passing the Ball.

Rule 7 Section 2 - FORMATION/POSITION, NUMBERING AND ACTION AT THE SNAP

Art. 1 ... After the ball is marked ready for play, each player of A who participated in the previous down and each substitute for A must have been momentarily, between the 9-yard marks, before the snap.

ILLEGAL FORMATION is a live ball foul which is penailzed by a 5 yard penalty. All members of the offense must be within the large yard line numbers of which the tops of the numbers are 9 yards from the sideline. If there are no numbers on the field, there is a hash mark at the 9 yard mark on each 5 yard line. It isn't an act to deceive but it is an illegal formation.
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by SoMelo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Ha Ha... In your face

User avatar
SOCTE
Posts: 4033
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by SOCTE » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Zebra wrote:b. A1 should be flagged for illegal formation. - correct answer.
Zebra, I knew the answer immediately.

We used a "trick play" that I would discuss with the officiating crew before every game and the refs always reminded me that the player had to be in the huddle prior to running the play.

We were extremely creative. I think we were 2 for 3 (with two touchdowns) when we used it.
:D
Image

User avatar
Wiley
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by Wiley » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Wiley wrote:A
There is no huddle in a hurry-up offense.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Zebra's Rule Question of the Day

Post by not4u13 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:59 am

SOCTE wrote: Zebra, I knew the answer immediately.

We used a "trick play" that I would discuss with the officiating crew before every game and the refs always reminded me that the player had to be in the huddle prior to running the play.

We were extremely creative. I think we were 2 for 3 (with two touchdowns) when we used it.
:D
Notice that the rule doesn't require a huddle. I would have answered a because. I didn't realize the player had to move towards the centerof the field after the ball was spotted before they could line up at the sidelines for the snap. This is most often accomplished with a huddle but it is not required.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Post Reply