Thoughts from South O.C.

KnoR

Thoughts from South O.C.

Post by KnoR »

All things in South O.C. Football should start with the Diablos.
They look tough last night, and props to them scheduling the #1 team in the nation next week. Just think, if they can pull that off, and I think they may have the horses, they could go 15-0 this season and be national champions. I know it's early, but you heard it here first. It all starts next weekend!

Santa Margarita did a great job last year turning the program around. With their performance last night it looks like they are still on their way up. Sorry J.Serra, but if you can't beat Bosco in league, it looks like you are going to go
O'fer again in the big T-league.

Dana Hills last night-I suppose coach should have them in better shape. If you can't play hard in the fourth quarter, you can't win the close ones. Why are so many football coaches afraid of working their kids hard enough to get in really good shape? To many sloppy bellies on to many teams!

San Clemente put a whoopin on a very weak team from Long Beach. They claim this is the best team they have ever had in Tritondom, then why did they put together such a cupcake schedule. 40-48-1 that is the combined records from last year of the first 8 teams on their schedule. Props to them for playing Mater Dei...But 40-48-1 doesn't get you ready for the Pac 5 Playoffs. It only keeps you in the top 10 OC rankings. By the way...When was the last time SC won playoff game. West Adam Prep School doesn't get you ready for the playoffs. You may as well play Bolsa Grande High School.

Tesoro 35 Hart of Newhall 21. Giant win for the Titans. This is the type of scheduling that gets you ready for the big games. I know the program is still building under the young Barnes, I also know that if he stays there they will be the power of South County in the future. I really believe in this guy!

Aliso Niguel has been so weak for so long it was great so see them put one in the win column last night against Woodbridge of Irvine. I hope the new staff over there has them on the up and coming list. They deserve it

My WOW of the weekend was Mater Dei getting beat again by Carson.
Third in a row for Carson. Will this be the year that Mater Dei doesn't make the playoffs? Servite, OLU, S. Margarita, Bosco...and only two get in...No wild cards. It will be one heck of a race this year.

Untill next time...Pleasent Dreams
ringer

Re: Thoughts from South O.C.

Post by ringer »

Don't three teams from the Trinity get in the playoffs?
Luca

Post by Luca »

Very good post, Knor, and a good summary.

That's a good overall review and welcome to the board. We need people with a broader perspective.
KnoR

Post by KnoR »

ringer wrote:Don't three teams from the Trinity get in the playoffs?
You're right. 5 teams in the league gets 3 into CIF.

Another thought.
I'm hearing good things about Coach Frith at El Toro. I like their chances of making the playoffs this year. The problem with that league is that they have Laguna Hills in it. League Champs the last 6 years in a row, and a CIF Championship or two in that run also. How is it that this Hawk team didn't end up in the South Coast League? Were they really the 6th-10th strongest team in the conference? Worse than Capo? Worse than Trabuco Hills?
TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan »

KnoR wrote:All things in South O.C. Football should start with the Diablos.
They look tough last night, and props to them scheduling the #1 team in the nation next week. Just think, if they can pull that off, and I think they may have the horses, they could go 15-0 this season and be national champions. I know it's early, but you heard it here first. It all starts next weekend!

Santa Margarita did a great job last year turning the program around. With their performance last night it looks like they are still on their way up. Sorry J.Serra, but if you can't beat Bosco in league, it looks like you are going to go
O'fer again in the big T-league.

Dana Hills last night-I suppose coach should have them in better shape. If you can't play hard in the fourth quarter, you can't win the close ones. Why are so many football coaches afraid of working their kids hard enough to get in really good shape? To many sloppy bellies on to many teams!

San Clemente put a whoopin on a very weak team from Long Beach. They claim this is the best team they have ever had in Tritondom, then why did they put together such a cupcake schedule. 40-48-1 that is the combined records from last year of the first 8 teams on their schedule. Props to them for playing Mater Dei...But 40-48-1 doesn't get you ready for the Pac 5 Playoffs. It only keeps you in the top 10 OC rankings. By the way...When was the last time SC won playoff game. West Adam Prep School doesn't get you ready for the playoffs. You may as well play Bolsa Grande High School.

Tesoro 35 Hart of Newhall 21. Giant win for the Titans. This is the type of scheduling that gets you ready for the big games. I know the program is still building under the young Barnes, I also know that if he stays there they will be the power of South County in the future. I really believe in this guy!

Aliso Niguel has been so weak for so long it was great so see them put one in the win column last night against Woodbridge of Irvine. I hope the new staff over there has them on the up and coming list. They deserve it

My WOW of the weekend was Mater Dei getting beat again by Carson.
Third in a row for Carson. Will this be the year that Mater Dei doesn't make the playoffs? Servite, OLU, S. Margarita, Bosco...and only two get in...No wild cards. It will be one heck of a race this year.

No thoughts on Capo, El Toro, San Juan or Trabuco?
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Not to take away from Tesoro's win, but Hart has been a shell of their former selves for about the last four or five years.
KnoR

Post by KnoR »

TommyTrojan wrote:
No thoughts on Capo, El Toro, San Juan or Trabuco?
OK
Here are my semi educated opinions on those four teams

El Toro - I covered them in my last post

Capo Valley hasn't shown much the last few years. The fact is that they have been very poor. Sad for a program that used to be such a powerful team year in and year out. They did have a freshman team last year go undefeated, so if the coaches can keep the program intact, they may be a year away from being good. They'll likely stay in the Sea View League next year and be a shoe in for a playoff spot. But you'll have to wait for the 2012 season for that.

Trabuco Hills with new Coach Matt Orloff who was at OCC and Dana Hills. I think they'll be much improved. This young guy is a fireball and the kids seem to like him. Look for the Mustangs to be improved, and look for them to be a south county power with in the next couple seasons. For them to finish top 3 this season in the ultra tough south coast league is a stretch. They may fight it out with El Toro next year for the Sea View League Championship.

San Juan Hills looked good last year against weak teams. Having said that they are a school in the capistrano school district which means they will soon have 3000 students. With the numbers will come athletes. We will find out a lot about the coaching staff this year as they will have a full senior class. What I'm saying is that I really don't know anything about San Juan Hills Football.
socalfootballfan

Post by socalfootballfan »

KnoR wrote:
OK
Here are my semi educated opinions on those four teams

El Toro - I covered them in my last post

Capo Valley hasn't shown much the last few years. The fact is that they have been very poor. Sad for a program that used to be such a powerful team year in and year out. They did have a freshman team last year go undefeated, so if the coaches can keep the program intact, they may be a year away from being good. They'll likely stay in the Sea View League next year and be a shoe in for a playoff spot. But you'll have to wait for the 2012 season for that.

Trabuco Hills with new Coach Matt Orloff who was at OCC and Dana Hills. I think they'll be much improved. This young guy is a fireball and the kids seem to like him. Look for the Mustangs to be improved, and look for them to be a south county power with in the next couple seasons. For them to finish top 3 this season in the ultra tough south coast league is a stretch. They may fight it out with El Toro next year for the Sea View League Championship.

San Juan Hills looked good last year against weak teams. Having said that they are a school in the capistrano school district which means they will soon have 3000 students. With the numbers will come athletes. We will find out a lot about the coaching staff this year as they will have a full senior class. What I'm saying is that I really don't know anything about San Juan Hills Football.

Is Coach Matt Orloff any relation to Coach Scott Orloff?

:iknow:
As long as Orloff is at TH, athletes in TH boundaries will attempt to get into Mission or Santa Margarita.
TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan »

KnoR wrote: You're right. 5 teams in the league gets 3 into CIF.

Another thought.
I'm hearing good things about Coach Frith at El Toro. I like their chances of making the playoffs this year. The problem with that league is that they have Laguna Hills in it. League Champs the last 6 years in a row, and a CIF Championship or two in that run also. How is it that this Hawk team didn't end up in the South Coast League? Were they really the 6th-10th strongest team in the conference? Worse than Capo? Worse than Trabuco Hills?
The Hawks have no business being in the South Coast League. They have 1700 kids and dropping. They have had some good players over the years, but lack the depth to be able to take on schools with 3000 kids week in and out. People forget that prior to the six year run of championships, they actually lost 19 straight games.

Take a look at the size of the linemen Laguna Hills has this year and compare that to any school in the area. Last year they may not have had one OL over 200lbs. Laguna Hills is more like an Irvine school than any of the other south county schools.
ND7

Post by ND7 »

Do you have a problem with that?
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.
KnoR

Post by KnoR »

ND7 wrote:
Do you have a problem with that?
Of course not silly Irishman!
Simply stating a fact.
Why, Do you have issues?

Heck, if third place teams didn't make it in the playoffs, Tesoro wouldn't have made their statement last year!
KnoR

Post by KnoR »

quote]

As long as Orloff is at TH, athletes in TH boundaries will attempt to get into Mission or Santa Margarita.[/quote]

Scott is his first name. You are correct, it also seems you are the type of guy who feels a need to correct people, then look around the room in hopes that people will be looking at you thinking you are the smartest guy in the room. I am inpressed with your brain power!!!

You claim that kids want out of TH due to their new coach. I hear differently, and time will prove you are wrong!

Have a nice evening, and please don't show your ignorance around town!
Luca

Post by Luca »

KnoR wrote:.... it also seems you are the type of guy who feels a need to correct people, then look around the room in hopes that people will be looking at you thinking you are the smartest guy in the room.
Welcome to OC Connect.
socalfootballfan

Post by socalfootballfan »

KnoR wrote:quote]

As long as Orloff is at TH, athletes in TH boundaries will attempt to get into Mission or Santa Margarita.
Scott is his first name. You are correct, it also seems you are the type of guy who feels a need to correct people, then look around the room in hopes that people will be looking at you thinking you are the smartest guy in the room. I am inpressed with your brain power!!!

You claim that kids want out of TH due to their new coach. I hear differently, and time will prove you are wrong!

Have a nice evening, and please don't show your ignorance around town![/quote]

Glad that you were "inpressed" :ROFL:

I noticed that you stated that Trabuco will be a South County Power in the near future... I would tend to believe that they were successful under the old coach and the fact that Trabuco went 0-4 in league last year and will go 0-4 this year is not what I would call building a power house.

Just my :2cents:
KnoR

Post by KnoR »

The Hawks have no business being in the South Coast League. They have 1700 kids and dropping. They have had some good players over the years, but lack the depth to be able to take on schools with 3000 kids week in and out. People forget that prior to the six year run of championships, they actually lost 19 straight games.

Take a look at the size of the linemen Laguna Hills has this year and compare that to any school in the area. Last year they may not have had one OL over 200lbs. Laguna Hills is more like an Irvine school than any of the other south county schools.
Point well taken Mr. Trojan

I'm just saying that they have for over a half decade dominated weak leagues and teams. I think they can compete for a playoff spot in the SCL. I regularly through the year see programs both boys that are ranked in the top 10 in Orange County. From what I read, the Conference of ten schools that were set up should have, by strength, the strongest 5 teams in the South Coast League, and the 5 weaker teams (#6 - #10) in the Seaview League. Even in lower divisions league titles and CIF titles should put them in the stronger league. Did you pay attention to what they did in league to the other teams in the seaview league last year? Coach Ingal is one heck of a football mind. I have no doubt he could find a way to have them fighting for a playoff birth.

Lastly, I was impressed with what they have accomplished with such small kids, so I went on their website to check it out. Here is what i found:
These are the boys on their roster that weigh over 200 pounds and their positions
2010 Season
205 C
205 DE
235 T
250 TE/DE
268 N/G
Granted that isn't very many...However look what I found on their 2009 team
205 C
230 N/G, T
205 TB/RB
215 DE
215 DE/LB
230 DE
266 G
230 DE/TE
230 T/DE
210 R/DE
235 T
240 DT
220 DE/FB
220 C/LB
235 T
215 DB/TE
200 N/G
That's 17 boys at 200 pounds or larger. They looked at this group of kids that won a league championship and said they were the 6th best team in the conference?
You can't tell me that this group of kids can't compete in the SCL. Havent they beaten teams like Capo Valley recently.

Trust me Laguna Hills is not Capo Valley Christian as you want us to believe. Last night CVC started a freshman QB who had a favorite target last night that was a 5'3" 101 pound sophomore. Now that is small school football. Not 17 kids at or over 200 pounds.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

First off, the Trinity League has six teams. (Bosco, JSerra, O Lu, MD, SMCHS and Servite) Laguna Hills belongs where they are during this initial league grouping.

Another thought.
Luca

Post by Luca »

I can't agree with this, Knor.

I am also impressed with Laguna Hills' performance over the last several years, but you can't ignore the fact that they do only have 1700 kids and they are having their success in a lower division. I cannot believe they would be able to compete in a league with San Clemente, Mission Viejo and Tesoro, all strong programs with over 3000 kids (I think). I think they could perhaps hold their own with the lower half of the SCL, but only so long as they maintain their current coaching staff and momentum. I don't see why we should punish a program that is doing everything right - within the rules and being successful - by putting them in over their heads.

The Orange County public school principals did that with JSerra and although they've been able to compete in other sports, it's damn near impossible to get the traction with only 1000 kids to play against the other Trinity teams. It's not fair to the kids and there's no reason to shaft Laguna Hills like that.

I don't have a problem with a school having a successful run while playing within the rules because we all know it's going to end and it's not as though these programs cannot be taken down on any given day. Laguna Hills is a success story and I would just as soon leave them alone. Luca
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Knor

I like your enthusiasm for the Diablo's but that game against B Centenial was not a good game. Lot's of miscues and mistakes that against a team like DBP are not indicative of a successful trip east. I hope it was first game jitters but remember DBP rolled DLS two years in a row. Now DLS played them tough last year but was blown out the year before and that is two time defending CA state champs. MV has the tools question is will they play a perfect game. That is what it will take for MV to win that game. 4 all americans I think and 12 D1 commits they are an elite program. Good luck to the Diablo's they will need it...

SM also scheduled pretty weak pre-league shched and the team SM beat is on par with the team SC beat so have to take issue with the SC comentary. Although the Welch factor and raw talent SM will be formidable again this year. Also SC has historicly been a pretty good play off team giving Servite a good run in the play offs a couple of times the last being Fajardo's jr. year. So a little unfair. SC has a very good team this yr and has always played very tough and should make it to at least second round of the play offs
Last edited by Playthegame on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan »

Without a doubt the 2009 LH football team had some size and did quite well in the Southern Division. However that year 2 of the 3 losses they suffered were to El Toro and Trabuco Hills. Last year the Hawks were small and young. A one time they had 5 sophs starting on the front 7 for the offense, and looked more like SCL wrs playing tackle.

Again, go look at the starting lines for each of the SCL teams, and then go look at the starting group for Laguna. Big difference. The next notable thing would be the number of kids. SCL teams feature 4 levels, and most have two freshman teams. Laguna Hills has a varsity/jv team that practice together, and one freshman team of 50 kids. If Mission has a qb go down, they just plug in the next guy in line who is pretty similar to the guy who got injured. You don't see that at a smaller school.

By no means is LH a CVC. But they are closer in size to CVC than to Trabuco (3400). Laguna is a school that punches above their weight in a variety of sports, it's ok to play in the SCL for girls basketball where you don't have the same injury concern that you would in football. St Margrets has won 8 straight titles and a bunch of CIF ones in that time. Think they belong in the Trinity?
theiman

Post by theiman »

KnoR wrote: San Clemente put a whoopin on a very weak team from Long Beach. They claim this is the best team they have ever had in Tritondom, then why did they put together such a cupcake schedule. 40-48-1 that is the combined records from last year of the first 8 teams on their schedule.[/b] Props to them for playing Mater Dei...But 40-48-1 doesn't get you ready for the Pac 5 Playoffs. It only keeps you in the top 10 OC rankings. By the way...When was the last time SC won playoff game. West Adam Prep School doesn't get you ready for the playoffs. You may as well play Bolsa Grande High School.

I cant agree with his comments on San Clemente and perhaps Tesoro.

First when you comment about a teams combined record for their first 8 games and then mention cupcake schedule, why did you include 2 league games vs DH and TH? These games arent part of your out of league schedule, but manditory games. Would you say the same if SC's first two league games were vs MV and Tesoro(giving them a schedule in the first 8 games of 53-41-1) instead of DH and TH?

Next, of the 6 out of league games 4 are the result of a H/H scheduling from the previous year. Fountain Valley, Newport Harbor, Mater Dei and La Costa Canyon are all return games from last year. Now I dont think anyone will call teams from the Sunset League cupcakes(with perhaps the exception of Marina). Although many love or hate MD, they certainly arent a cupcake, nor do I think LCC, from SD-8-4 last year, is a cupcake.
LB Cabrillo was a soft team, but to start your season off against a team like that I have no problem. Many college teams do that.
So that leaves us with West Adams. This is the same West Adams that the coach you like so much, Brian Barnes of Tesoro, played the previous year. Seems Barnes scheduled some cupcakes last season in South Hills(3-7 who they beat 59-6)Valley Christian(5-5 who they beat 54-0)and Burroughs (7-5 who they beat 49-13, Burroughs league plays games vs teams from Victorville and Apple Valley, I guess playing those desert teams certainly get you ready for the playoffs as Tesoro won its first playoff game, on the road vs Bishop Amat.)

I have no idea if anyone has been quoted that this is SC's best team in Tritondom. They do have about 15 kids who have been together since Pop Warner days. They also had the coaching change that seems to have brought the players together, or at least so far it has. I have been watching SC for about 6-7 years and the best team they had, IMO, is the team that lost to Servite about 4 years ago 54-43? in the playoff game.