Pac 5 playoffs

BoscoBandWagon

Pac 5 playoffs

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

Heading into last week, some very key games!!!!

Trinity
1 Servite/SM Winner
2 Servite/SM Loser
3 OLU/Bosco Winner

Serra
1 Alemany
2 Loyola
3 Coin flip Crespi/ ND/ Amat

Moore
1 Poly
2 Lakewood
3 Cabrillo
4 Jordan/ Wilson winner

Sunset
1 Edison
2 Huntington Beach
3 Newport Harbor

South Coast
1 Mission
2 San Clemente/ Tesoro Winner
3 San Clemente/ Tesoro Loser

Missing playoffs for the first time in ?????
Mater Dei 23+ years
Los Al probably just as long if not longer.
It wasnt long ago you marked these 2 in the semi's as a "sure thing"

based on calpreps the teams not making it but should are:
1 olu/bosco loser (bosco 6th, olu 7th)
2 amat or crespi or both (amat 14, crespi 16)
3/4 mater dei (16th)

the "chumps" making it bc of their league:
1 Jordan/ Wilson winner (25/26th in division)
2 Cabrillo (23rd in division)
3 Lakewood (19th in division)
4 Newport (18th in division)
MDDad

Re: Pac 5 playoffs

Post by MDDad »

BoscoBandWagon wrote:Missing playoffs for the first time in ?????
Mater Dei 23+ years
Los Al probably just as long if not longer.
It wasnt long ago you marked these 2 in the semi's as a "sure thing"
Los Alamitos missed the playoffs four years ago, after making it for 23 straight years.

Mater Dei's county record of 24 straight ended last night.
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

MDDad wrote:
Los Alamitos missed the playoffs four years ago, after making it for 23 straight years.

Mater Dei's county record of 24 straight ended last night.
i forgot los al was one of those 5 teams all tied for first at 3-2 and they didnt make it.
ringer

Post by ringer »

BoscoBandWagon wrote:
i forgot los al was one of those 5 teams all tied for first at 3-2 and they didnt make it.
That was a grim night, in early-mid November 2008 at the then-brand-new Edison weight room, when two of the teams (Edison and Los Al) failed to pick the correct piece of paper out of the hat.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

BoscoBandWagon wrote:Heading into last week, some very key games!!!!

Trinity
1 Servite/SM Winner
2 Servite/SM Loser
3 OLU/Bosco Winner

I believe there is a still a chance for a three-way tie for third, which would cause a coin flip, is there something I am missing?

Trinity League Standings

Team W-L-T

Servite 4-0-0
Santa Margarita 3-1-0

St. John Bosco 2-2-0
Orange Lutheran 1-3-0
JSerra 1-3-0
Mater Dei 1-3-0

Bosco Loses and two of the remaining three teams win (Mater Dei, JSerra and O Lu)
Bick

Post by Bick »

MDDad wrote:
I think they've got a pretty good streak going right now of not winning a playoff game.
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

THETRUTH wrote:

I believe there is a still a chance for a three-way tie for third, which would cause a coin flip, is there something I am missing?

Trinity League Standings

Team W-L-T

Servite 4-0-0
Santa Margarita 3-1-0

St. John Bosco 2-2-0
Orange Lutheran 1-3-0
JSerra 1-3-0
Mater Dei 1-3-0

Bosco Loses and two of the remaining three teams win (Mater Dei, JSerra and O Lu)
Tie for third yes...But...Due to head to head SJB & OLU would flip for 3rd spot in CIF after Servite & SMCHS :( They need to take away the Moore's 4th spot for Pac5...Seriously :(
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Ramon wrote: Tie for third yes...But...Due to head to head SJB & OLU would flip for 3rd spot in CIF after Servite & SMCHS :( They need to take away the Moore's 4th spot for Pac5...Seriously :(
Hmmm, some league constitutions read differently, if it is a three way tie, all three flip no matter how the tie came about.
atgreek

Post by atgreek »

THETRUTH wrote:
Hmmm, some league constitutions read differently, if it is a three way tie, all three flip no matter how the tie came about.

The only way there will be coin flips is if OLU beats SJB and JSerra beats MD.

If MD wins and OLU wins, OLU is in due to having head to head victories over SJB and MD.

If SJB wins there is not tie, SJB is in.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

atgreek wrote:

The only way there will be coin flips is if OLU beats SJB and JSerra beats MD.

If MD wins and OLU wins, OLU is in due to having head to head victories over SJB and MD.

If SJB wins there is not tie, SJB is in.

Here is the most recent Trinity League constitution I could find online, go to pages 19 and 20.

http://www.bosco.org/ourpages/auto/2011 ... tution.pdf

Some Leagues in the case of a three-way take tie also use victory against league champion when determining 2nd, 3rd or 4th places.
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

THETRUTH wrote:

Here is the most recent Trinity League constitution I could find online, go to pages 19 and 20.

http://www.bosco.org/ourpages/auto/2011 ... tution.pdf

Some Leagues in the case of a three-way take tie also use victory against league champion when determining 2nd, 3rd or 4th places.
Okay that read like stereo instructions...So is that head to head or a straight up coin toss :eh?:
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Ramon wrote: Okay that read like stereo instructions...So is that head to head or a straight up coin toss :eh?:
It seems to indicate that head to head is first, but it never seems to directly list that in the case of a three-way tie for second and third place, I will try and ask around.
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

THETRUTH wrote:
It seems to indicate that head to head is first, but it never seems to directly list that in the case of a three-way tie for second and third place, I will try and ask around.
Thanks Truth...Either way a great team will be at home...But that is the game :thumbsup:
ocfootball

Post by ocfootball »

Barring any week 10 upsets, and it conforms to CIF rules regarding spreading out leagues, here's my brackets:

SERVITE (TR 1/1 SEED)VS
WILSON (MO 4)
LOYOLA (SE 2) VS
HB (SU 2)
-------------
EDISON (SU 1) VS
SJB (TR 3)
TESORO (SC 3) VS
ALEMANY (SE 1/4 SEED)
-------------
POLY (MO 1/3 SEED) VS
NEWPORT (SU 3)
SAN CLEMENTE (SC 2) VS
CABRILLO (MO 2)
-------------
MISSION (SC 1/ 2 SEED) VS
LAKEWOOD (MO 3)
SANTA MARG (TR 2) VS
CRESPI (SE 3)

Just sayin..........
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

ocfootball wrote:Barring any week 10 upsets, and it conforms to CIF rules regarding spreading out leagues, here's my brackets:

SERVITE (TR 1/1 SEED)VS
WILSON (MO 4)
LOYOLA (SE 2) VS
HB (SU 2)
-------------
EDISON (SU 1) VS
SJB (TR 3)
TESORO (SC 3) VS
ALEMANY (SE 1/4 SEED)
-------------
POLY (MO 1/3 SEED) VS
NEWPORT (SU 3)
SAN CLEMENTE (SC 2) VS
CABRILLO (MO 2)
-------------
MISSION (SC 1/ 2 SEED) VS
LAKEWOOD (MO 3)
SANTA MARG (TR 2) VS
CRESPI (SE 3)

Just sayin..........
The biggest problem with your brackets is this: The #1 and #2 teams from any given league are placed on opposite sides of the brackets, and you broke that rule three times. Also, the Serra League will likely end up with a three-way tie for third place.

Not yet having seen the Week 9 CIF rankings, and assuming no upsets in Week 10, here's my preliminary guess:

Upper Bracket
#1 Servite (Trinity #1) vs. Wilson (Moore #4)
San Clemente (South Coast #2) vs. Lakewood (Moore #2)
Edison (Sunset #1) vs. St. John Bosco (Trinity #3)
#4 Alemany (Serra #1) vs. Newport Harbor (Sunset #3)

Lower Backet
#3 Poly (Moore #1) vs. Serra League #3
Santa Margarita (Trinity #2) vs. Tesoro (South Coast #3)
Loyola (Serra #2) vs. Huntington Beach (Sunset #2)
#2 Mission Viejo (South Coast #1) vs. Cabrillo (Moore #3)

This would result in a very stacked lower bracket, and it would give Servite a relatively easy path to at least the semifinals and probably the title game.
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

Upper Bracket
Moore 4 @ Servite
Huntington Beach @ San Clemente
Tesoro @ Lakewood
Harbor @ Alemany
Semi's: Alemany vs Servite (Same as last year)

Lower Backet
Serra 3 @ Poly
Bosco @ Edison
Loyola @ Santa Margarita
Cabrillo @ Mission Viejo

Qtrs of Poly/Bosco and SM/MV could go either way. (If bosco and mv can win similar to last year in the semi's Trinity #3 vs Mission)

They seperate the #1's from the #2's & #3's. Except in 4 team league plus, the moore 4 teams will all be in separate qtrs. In a 5 league division league opponents cannot play in round#2..u have lakewood/moore4 in the same bracket. Based on cif "rules" this is the most common bracket possible...... Although i do like the SM/Tesoro rematch in ur bracket.
socalfootballfan

Post by socalfootballfan »

I dont know if Alemany will for sure get the 4th seed. If SM were to lose to Servite but play them tough, don't be surprised if SM gets the 4th seed. I would look more at this week's CIF POLL then the actual league champs.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Just reading the thread and wanted to correct something I read. In 2007 Los Al did not make the playoofs because they had tied with Newport Harbor for 3rd place but had lost the head to head game with Newport Harbor and Los al did not get in as the 3rd place team nor did they get the "at large" or wild card spot.

In 2008 was the year where 5 teams tied for first place and the famous coin flip occurred. The 2 teams that did not go to the playoffs were Newport Harbor and Edison. Los Al lost to Tesoro in the first round of the playoffs.
Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum »

MDDad wrote:
The biggest problem with your brackets is this: The #1 and #2 teams from any given league are placed on opposite sides of the brackets, and you broke that rule three times. Also, the Serra League will likely end up with a three-way tie for third place.

Not yet having seen the Week 9 CIF rankings, and assuming no upsets in Week 10, here's my preliminary guess:

Upper Bracket
#1 Servite (Trinity #1) vs. Wilson (Moore #4)
San Clemente (South Coast #2) vs. Lakewood (Moore #2)
Edison (Sunset #1) vs. St. John Bosco (Trinity #3)
#4 Alemany (Serra #1) vs. Newport Harbor (Sunset #3)

Lower Backet
#3 Poly (Moore #1) vs. Serra League #3
Santa Margarita (Trinity #2) vs. Tesoro (South Coast #3)
Loyola (Serra #2) vs. Huntington Beach (Sunset #2)
#2 Mission Viejo (South Coast #1) vs. Cabrillo (Moore #3)

This would result in a very stacked lower bracket, and it would give Servite a relatively easy path to at least the semifinals and probably the title game.
I think you're dead on except Santa Margarita and Loyola will trade places...that would set up two "money games" for the CIF in round two with limited travel...Poly vs Loyola & SM vs Mission Viejo.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

socalfootballfan wrote:I dont know if Alemany will for sure get the 4th seed. If SM were to lose to Servite but play them tough, don't be surprised if SM gets the 4th seed. I would look more at this week's CIF POLL then the actual league champs.
Santa Margarita can't be the #4 seed because that would put them on the same side of the bracket as Servite.