Pac 5 playoffs

ventura

Re: Pac 5 playoffs

Post by ventura »

A quick note from up north - all you guys have Loyola beating Crespi. I think that's wrong.

If the turnover battle is even or better for the Celts, they win this Friday. The Celts played Alemany very even two weeks ago, when the Warriors had two weeks rest and Crespi was coming off a very physical battle with Amat.

Ventura
edisonfan

Post by edisonfan »

Trinitylguealum wrote:
I think you're dead on except Santa Margarita and Loyola will trade places...that would set up two "money games" for the CIF in round two with limited travel...Poly vs Loyola & SM vs Mission Viejo.
Another alternate guess...

Seeds
1. Servite
2. Mission Viejo
3. L.B. Poly
4. Alemany

Upper Bracket
#1 Servite (Trinity #1) vs. Wilson (Moore #4)
San Clemente (South Coast #2) vs. Lakewood (Moore #2)
Edison (Sunset #1) vs. Tesoro (South Coast #3)
#4 Alemany (Serra #1) vs. Cabrillo (Moore #3)

Lower Backet
#3 Poly (Moore #1) vs. Newport Harbor (Sunset #3)
Loyola (Serra #2) vs. St. John Bosco (Trinity #3)
Santa Margarita (Trinity #2) vs. Huntington Beach (Sunset #2)
#2 Mission Viejo (South Coast #1) vs. Crespi (Serra League #3)
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Bishop Amat is the Serra #3, not Crespi.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
edisonfan

Post by edisonfan »

Lionhunter wrote:Bishop Amat is the Serra #3, not Crespi.
Thanks, I edited to this:

Seeds
1. Servite
2. Mission Viejo
3. L.B. Poly
4. Alemany

Upper Bracket

Lower Backet
#2 Mission Viejo (South Coast #1) vs. Bishop Amat (Serra League #3)
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

edisonfan wrote:
Thanks, I edited to this:

Seeds
1. Servite
2. Mission Viejo
3. L.B. Poly
4. Alemany

Upper Bracket

Lower Backet
#2 Mission Viejo (South Coast #1) vs. Bishop Amat (Serra League #3)
I come up with the same, except that I have Newport Harbor and Bishop Amat reversed. Either way, this results in a very heavy lower bracket, and a much lighter upper bracket for Servite to navigate.
edisonfan

Post by edisonfan »

MDDad wrote:
I come up with the same, except that I have Newport Harbor and Bishop Amat reversed. Either way, this results in a very heavy lower bracket, and a much lighter upper bracket for Servite to navigate.
That's an improvement...

I tried to prevent a possible Loyola vs Bishop Amat matchup in round 2, same with a Huntington Beach vs Hewport Harbor meeting in round 2.

Highly unlikely chances, but you just never know...in Post season play.

Tune in tomorrow...
Old School

Post by Old School »

The CIF tries not to match up teams that played in the first round the year before. So all brackets with SC and Lakewood could be wrong. The CIF tries to consider major travel too, so I don't see SC going to Loyola...It make sense to give for the CIF brackets to have a possible SM/HB or SM/third place, Lakewood/Loyola too ....I too think SM should be a top 4 seed, since they would have to be essentially a 6 or a 7 given the other considerations.
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...
edisonfan

Post by edisonfan »

Old School wrote:The CIF tries not to match up teams that played in the first round the year before. So all brackets with SC and Lakewood could be wrong. The CIF tries to consider major travel too, so I don't see SC going to Loyola...It make sense to give for the CIF brackets to have a possible SM/HB or SM/third place, Lakewood/Loyola too ....I too think SM should be a top 4 seed, since they would have to be essentially a 6 or a 7 given the other considerations.
Let's say Servite and SMCHS are the 2 best Teams in the field. Seeding SMCHS at #4, would have Servite vs SMCHS in Top Bracket Semis, instead of Tournament Finals, so they would have to be a #2 or #3 Seed.

Someone once published the criteria used in the selection process a few years back.

Some of the preferences that I recall were:

Try to have League #1 in opposite bracket to League #2 and #3.
Try to have #2's vs #3's in Round 1, where possible.
Try to not to have same League #2 and #3 meet until Round 3.
Try to avoid possible early round games between Teams that played each other, earlier in the Season.
Rank Leagues in order of strongest to weakest, when selecting Seedings and matchups.
[tab=30](i.e.: 1-Trinity, 2-South Coast, 3 and 4-Moore or Serra, 5-Sunset)

Travel considerations should be at the end of the process. In past years, I remember Edison travelling to Loyola, and Vice Versa, for Round 1 games...
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

edisonfan wrote:
Let's say Servite and SMCHS are the 2 best Teams in the field. Seeding SMCHS at #4, would have Servite vs SMCHS in Top Bracket Semis, instead of Tournament Finals, so they would have to be a #2 or #3 Seed.

Someone once published the criteria used in the selection process a few years back.

Some of the preferences that I recall were:

Try to have League #1 in opposite bracket to League #2 and #3.
Try to have #2's vs #3's in Round 1, where possible.
Try to not to have same League #2 and #3 meet until Round 3.
Try to avoid possible early round games between Teams that played each other, earlier in the Season.
Rank Leagues in order of strongest to weakest, when selecting Seedings and matchups.
[tab=30](i.e.: 1-Trinity, 2-South Coast, 3 and 4-Moore or Serra, 5-Sunset)

Travel considerations should be at the end of the process. In past years, I remember Edison travelling to Loyola, and Vice Versa, for Round 1 games...
Rarely does a loss move one up in the rankings and the playoff committee typically looks for reasons why a team should move up. Servite is the #1 seed and except for playing a great game against Servite in LOSS, there are really no reason that SMCHS would be moved up over MV or Poly based on record and schedule. MV has beaten two 9-1 teams in the field and Poly is 9-1. SMCHS will be placed somewhere in the bottom and if someone is paying attention, they should face Poly in the second round. Alemany will be fourth, although San Clemente at 9-1 could argue and not have a conflict with number #1 Servite in the same bracket. A leagues #2 or #3 will not meet until the semi's since the Pac-5 bracket is pretty straight forward.