Friars win an amazing game

Old School

Re: Friars win an amazing game

Post by Old School » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:12 am

Went to the game last night and as neutral fan I get a kick out of the comments.

On a very positive note:

Both QB's are great. Pittman' speed, release, throws the ball on the run. He is tough. The only thing he did wrong last night was missed a few zone reads where he should have kept the ball, but those may have been direct hand offs. He is not the whole offensive team but 80%. Butch is a good blocker as a WR and has nice hands. SM's QB Stanton is the OCs version of Tim Tebo. Tacklers do not realize how fast or how big and strong his legs are; he ran through more tacklers that any qb i have seen in a long time. You must contain him, spy him, keep him in the pocket or he will kill you. He is the best player in OC right now as a junior. No player in D-1 has this much of an impact on their team.

Before I comment on the negative; I think there is 50/50 chance that both these teams make it to the finals. I would bet a few steak dinners that both are in the semis.

Refs: Many state that they were bad, I don't think so. I saw very few marginal calls except Servite line not coming set. I sat on the SM side and the SM fan are under informed on what holding is; The refs will tell the kids if you grab the uniform and we see cloth being pulled from the body you will be called for holding, if you reach out side the breast area you will be called for holding, such as on top of the shoulder pad which is a standard move by SM to combat Servite DL push pull techniques used. If I was the coach against SM I would be in the refs grill before the game. I have never seen an O line hold as much as SM does. SM was lucky the refs decided to ice their flags on the last drive. Stanton run, the right guard tackled the Servite DT around the head. I sat with several old coaches and every other third play we were commenting on did you see that tackle tackle the end etc...I think SM was called for holding seven times, if could have been 20. SM fans can attack me on this but it was on the border of unbelievable how much they line would grab, tackle, wrestle instead of a good kick slide and punch. I wont attack a certain kid but some were college prospects. On the flip side Servite held the second most of any line I have seen this year. Servite line did not come set many times for a pause before the snap yet it was called only once. It pays to be Servite. They too help quite a bit but moved their feet better and avoided the liberal officials. Both teams need to work on contain, LB Poly will try to get outside on both.

In conclusion it was a very fun HS game to watch, the crowd was great Some very good plays were made and the intensity was outstanding. It does not get much better than this. The Trinity League is in a class by themselves, the arm race really shows the superior coaching both program and commitment made by the private schools to put superior teams on the field. It was apparent to OS the domination of D-1 by the Trinity will go on for a long time.
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

Buck

Post by Buck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:09 am

THETRUTH wrote:
Come on, there is no need for this type of comment in the wake of how these two teams battled each other all night.

1. Servite's last loss in the SS playoffs was because Troy Thomas went for two against 2 against Lakewood, that is what he does.

2. The game went into overtime and both teams scored. Doesn't that tell you that both teams kept up with each other?

BTW, in the last four Trinity League games, Servite has scored 35, 42, 35 and 43. I think it is time to lay to rest the notion that Servite's offense can't keep up.

Great job SM Eagles and servite Friars, from players to fans!
Like I said great game by two solid teams, but I will say this: Servite has a Championship Offense, that can be even more potent if they unleashed A. Moore, but this years defense is not IMHO a Championship defense. SM and Bosco truly scored at will against Servite. Servite has Butch Pau and a bunch of solid kids, no Niklas or Kirifi on that D. They are opportunistic, tough and scrappy which will get them by most teams, but when you face a an elite team they may run into trouble.
I personally was dumbfounded why SM played in a conservative two deep safety defense when Servite is not really a threat to throw down field. Mater Dei essentially shut down Servite's O by playing tight man on the receivers (eliminating the bubble screen) and lining up everyone else in the box. Servite scores on a blocked punt and a gimmick counter reverse for 80 yards. If SM had implemented a more aggressive defensive scheme they win the game.

That being said, Stanton played lights out last night. Can he repeat that type of "video game" performance? He has been very much turnover prone throughout the season.

Last night just my sixth sense of the game it seemed that SM had the advantage as they headed into overtime. Servite's running game was not running on all cylinders as it had against Bosco, and they had to rely on the super human play of Pittman, who arguably had his best game of his career, to bail them out on numerous occasions.

Bobby G.

Post by Bobby G. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 am

I saw the score and thought it must have been a basketball game, then I saw Servite won so I knew it wasn’t a basketball game.

Nothing like a defensive struggle.

Bobby G.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:20 am

THETRUTH wrote:
Come on, there is no need for this type of comment in the wake of how these two teams battled each other all night.

1. Servite's last loss in the SS playoffs was after Troy Thomas went for two against Lakewood at te end of the game, that is what he does.

2. The game went into overtime and both teams scored. Doesn't that tell you that both teams kept up with each other?

BTW, in the last four Trinity League games, Servite has scored 35, 42, 35 and 43. I think it is time to lay to rest the notion that Servite's offense can't keep up.

Great job SM Eagles and servite Friars, from players to fans!
Then we should probably stop with the notion that Servite has a great defense as well.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

avonbarksdale

Post by avonbarksdale » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 am

SJB and SM have excellent offenses.
If Servite doesn't commit two straight false start penalties they probably win the game in regulation.

Santa Margarita was the better team last night, as I thought they'd be. They have probably the best line in the county and a fantastic QB. BUT, Servite owns the Trinity League. A three year unbeaten run in this league is un-freaking-believable.

Notorious, the picture you have in your signature is foul and disgusting. To celebrate a moment where people thought a CHILD might have been paralyzed is a new low. Talking trash is one thing. I believe you ought be banned from this board.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:00 am

avonbarksdale wrote:Notorious, the picture you have in your signature is foul and disgusting. To celebrate a moment where people thought a CHILD might have been paralyzed is a new low. Talking trash is one thing. I believe you ought be banned from this board.
I did say the only good Friar is a dead Friar.

Although assuming the worst isn't the way to go about things, avon. Jumping to conclusions never ends well.

avonbarksdale

Post by avonbarksdale » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:11 am

I won't engage you on this topic any further.
There is a line.
You are on the wrong side of the line right now. That is not debatable.

flagrantlyfoul

Post by flagrantlyfoul » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:23 am

...Noto has become "it rubs the lotion on its skin" creepy, which is more than likely right where he wants to be.
"A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive." - Christian Szell

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:32 am

avonbarksdale wrote:I won't engage you on this topic any further.
There is a line.
You are on the wrong side of the line right now. That is not debatable.
Or maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions brah, this isn't in my sig because I'm happy that he got hurt.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:35 am

Notorious wrote: I did say the only good Friar is a dead Friar.

Although assuming the worst isn't the way to go about things, avon. Jumping to conclusions never ends well.
Sean DeRosa is my favorite Friar this year. He has basically sacrificed his body on every play for three years on this team. While the moments depicted in that photo were severely worrisome to Sean's family and to his friends, fans and teammates, it seems he will be okay. If I were him, that photo would go straight into any scrapbook(s) his family may be keeping, as a badge of courage. Football is a violent game.

"That's why girls don't play the game, coach."- Shane Falco

Get well soon Sean!
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:40 am

Lionhunter wrote:Sean DeRosa is my favorite Friar this year. He has basically sacrificed his body on every play for three years on this team. While the moments depicted in that photo were severely worrisome to Sean's family and to his friends, fans and teammates, it seems he will be okay. If I were him, that photo would go straight into any scrapbook(s) his family may be keeping, as a badge of courage. Football is a violent game.

"That's why girls don't play the game, coach."- Shane Falco

Get well soon Sean!
I will agree with any post that has a Replacements quote. Also I believe Keanue Reeves took a 90% pay cut just so Gene Hackman could be in the movie.