Southwest Championship - Tustin vs. El Toro

tustinguy

Southwest Championship - Tustin vs. El Toro

Post by tustinguy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:36 am

One week to discuss next week's game.

Right now, CalPreps has the game El Toro (Lake Forest, CA) 28, Tustin (CA) 22.

Tustin nearly lost last year to El Toro in the second round - a game that was played at El Toro that went in Tustin's favor thanks to a late 4th quarter interception. I hope the Tustin DBs bring their "A" game...too many arm tackles and yards after catch for the Foothill WRs last night.

I like Tustin's chances if they attempt at least 6 to 8 passes.

I know the coaches will have the kids ready...hope they're not thinking they have it easier going up against El Toro.

Old School

Re: Southwest Championship - Tustin vs. El Toro

Post by Old School » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50 am

It will be tough for Tustin, one how do you simulate the no huddle with a great QB in practice, so the first few series will be tough. Tustin has alot of kids going both ways, the no huddle could wear down Tustin. We'll see, I am no Miller fan because he likes to run up score so i will be cheering for ET
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

Whatthe?

Post by Whatthe? » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:26 am

Old School wrote:It will be tough for Tustin, one how do you simulate the no huddle with a great QB in practice, so the first few series will be tough. Tustin has alot of kids going both ways, the no huddle could wear down Tustin. We'll see, I am no Miller fan because he likes to run up score so i will be cheering for ET
Agreed!.....El Toro's offense will go up and down the field on Tustin. :cheers:

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't think Tustin has the dbs to just match up with ETs wrs and allow them to play enough guys in the box to stop the run. The ET OL isn't particularly great, but they only run a couple of plays and they do it well. They don't ned to pass protect for long as most of ETs stuff is 1 or 3 step and Manning has hardly been touched this year. ET will dink and dunk you if you play off, but if you move guys out to stop the pass, they run draw or trap against your 5 man front.

The spread is not good for Tustin as it can force the big boys to have to run to help make tackles on either fly plays, or on a bubble screen. As mentioned, Tustin will have a heck of a time getting a good scout team look this week, and while ETs no huddle isn't an Oregon style hurry-up, it will keep the Tustin linemen from catching their breath. Last year ET put in the no huddle for the Tustin game, and it gave them a shot to beat the Tillers.

Myron said himself that he hated the defensive look that ET threw at him last year. Of all the fronts he sees in the double wing, according to him, the 5 man front is the biggest problem. That being said, I think Tustin can score some points on the El Toro defense which has been having some struggles lately outside of a really good game against Laguna Hills. El Toro has had more problems with passing teams than running ones however.

Special teams clearly favor ET if it comes to that. They are very good at blocking punts, are very tough to block one on, have a kicker who can put the kickoff in the zone and have some good returns as well this year.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Myron or the double wing, so I'll pull for the Chargers next week.

HSFBFANMAN

Post by HSFBFANMAN » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Looks like it's Tustin! The new sheriff had a short run!

Old School

Post by Old School » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Congrads to Tustin, looks like Old School was wrong on this one. The pick proved too much....and Tustin's pass defense got better as the game went along.

OS
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:13 pm

A shiny new ring for T-Town!

In the first half it looked like ET was the better team, but Tustin played tough to make it 21-14 ET at the half.

Tustin gets the ball to start the second half and marches down the field 80 yards for the TD, and chews 6+ minutes off the clock. Tustin defense picks it up and the offense is clicking. El Toro just could not stop the relentless ground and pound.

Tustin up 35-28 with the ball with six minutes left, I'm feeling pretty good. Tustin fumbles on about their own 35 and turns it over. F oh dear. T-Town comes up with a pick with about two minutes to go to seal the deal.

CONGRATS TO THE TILLERS, SOUTHWEST SECTION CHAMPIONS!!!

Kudos to El Toro on a great season and a tough game in the final.

mar595

Post by mar595 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:29 pm

I wanted to be there Crayegg but have been sick most of the week. From what I was able to watch on stream it appeared to have been a wonderful seconf half.

Congrats to the Tillers.

Country

Post by Country » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 pm

3rd time is the charm. \:D/

Down 21-7 and they didn't quit. They stuck to their game plan and won it.

ET's no huddle only effected the secondary in the 1st quarter. Catching them out of position. Adjustment were made and they pretty much played a prevent defense with 3 safeties deep. That slowed the air raid a bit.

The big boys were full speed the whole game. They were actually getting to the QB in which La Habra failed to do at all last week. The hurries led to the pick 6 and several off passes.

ET's run game had some early success. In the 2nd half, they had to abandon it. Being down and getting very little opportunities on offense. It was air raid the whole half.

ET's D ran some funky ish that stuffed us early. 5 on the line. The 2 ends had their hands down. The 3 inside guys backed off and took a 2 point stance (looking like linebackers). During that time, the plays were going outside. So with the 3 insides guys making themselves easy targets for the Oline. Tustin just ran dives up the middle. ET soon dropped that D stance all together. They also had a crazy 6 guys on the line. That didn't work either.

Tustin wore down ET's D while cooling down Manning and the offense. Now they're CIF champs.
Last edited by Country on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IODebbie

Post by IODebbie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Congratulations to the Tillers - you guys played hard tonight, you never let up and you won. Great game on both sides of the ball.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Myron was five for five on fourth-down plays. One or two stops would've put the Mustangs in a different position with a short field. Was impressed with the Tillers' defensive pressure and the push of the offensive line in Q4. Today the brute force of the double-wing finally paid off with a solid defensive game plan for Coach Miller. Congrats to Tustin - after 63-years a football championship is a long time comin'.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

IODebbie

Post by IODebbie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 pm

:)

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Great shot, Debbie. 300 TP lens?
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

IODebbie

Post by IODebbie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Actually I was shooting from the top of the first level so I busted out the 500mm. Great for distance but not so great when it started to get dark.