Players of the year

Steve Fryer

Players of the year

Post by Steve Fryer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:36 pm

Greetings to my fans here!

I don't know who the Slow person is, who claims to have great inside information. But Slowie has none. So ignore that person.

Two groups pick OC players of the year -- OC Register/ocvarsity.com, and the OC Sportswriters group. The latter award, which is just one player, is announced at the OC All-Star Game dinner in May. And that award is decided by OCR/OCV anyways. Other media invited to participate, but they don't.

At the OCR/OCV we select one offensive player of the year, one defensive player of the year, and a coach of the year. No co-players or co-coaches of the year.

Wild Walrus knows all that, of course, and so much more! So this is just for the rest of you as you make your selections.

Thanks for your frequent patronage of ocvarsity.com as we set page-view records month after month after month.

Have a pleasant day.

Your pal,
Fryer

SoMelo

Re: Players of the year

Post by SoMelo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:44 pm

I don't know what the hell you just said, I just hope it's Butch Pauu

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:46 pm

I always thought Wiley picked them.
Hi

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Steve Fryer wrote:Greetings to my fans here!

I don't know who the Slow person is, who claims to have great inside information. But Slowie has none. So ignore that person.

Two groups pick OC players of the year -- OC Register/ocvarsity.com, and the OC Sportswriters group. The latter award, which is just one player, is announced at the OC All-Star Game dinner in May. And that award is decided by OCR/OCV anyways. Other media invited to participate, but they don't.

At the OCR/OCV we select one offensive player of the year, one defensive player of the year, and a coach of the year. No co-players or co-coaches of the year.

Wild Walrus knows all that, of course, and so much more! So this is just for the rest of you as you make your selections.

Thanks for your frequent patronage of ocvarsity.com as we set page-view records month after month after month.

Have a pleasant day.

Your pal,
Fryer
I personally thought you printed the top 10 candidates on small pieces of paper, then put them inside fortune cookies. After this step I figured you swallowed these fortune cookies whole.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

The hoax

Post by The hoax » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Steve Fryer wrote:Greetings to my fans here!

Have a pleasant day.

Your pal,
Fryer
And by "page-view records," you are referring to the post-apocolyptic OCV, correct? No way the collective capacities of the 14-year-olds posting over there are posting anywhere near enough to when psycho-Max, Ramon, Hurl, Wiley, Luca, Roach, Buc, etal, were keeping your lights on at the Register. Nice try though.

Thanks for bringing your endearing smugness over for a visit. Head back to sleepy town now.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks Steve. I enjoy reading your coverage of high school sports. Thanks for the recognition you give our kids.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:Thanks Steve. I enjoy reading your coverage of high school sports. Thanks for the recognition you give our kids.
Nice try, Dan Albano.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Steve Fryer wrote:Thanks for your frequent patronage of ocvarsity.com as we set page-view records month after month after month.

Have a pleasant day.

Your pal,
Fryer
What's your bounce rate and time on site, Steve? 19.4% and 66:53 minutes here, respectively. Oh right. I can look that up for myself. Sez here, 60.1% and 2:58 minutes. What's that, about half a slideshow?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

pshaw

Post by pshaw » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:47 am

John Q. Public wrote: What's your bounce rate and time on site, Steve? 19.4% and 66:53 minutes here, respectively. Oh right. I can look that up for myself. Sez here, 60.1% and 2:58 minutes. What's that, about half a slideshow?
Yeah John, maybe you should consider putting each post on a separate page. Then you can go brag like a dork to the Register's readers about your "page view records".

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:43 am

Thread score so far:

7 - Stevite haters (smart people)
1- lover
1- indifferent
Lets keep it up, nice work

props to Noto
Hi

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:14 am

John Q. Public wrote: What's your bounce rate and time on site, Steve? 19.4% and 66:53 minutes here, respectively. Oh right. I can look that up for myself. Sez here, 60.1% and 2:58 minutes. What's that, about half a slideshow?
Zing!
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

OldMan

Post by OldMan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:12 am

You guys should cut Steve some slack, he's got to be having a tough time right now. I mean, 3 out of 4 Pac-5 semifinal teams were public schools? San Clemente in the championship game but not Servite? Where's the justice in that?

Old School

Post by Old School » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:29 am

I have seen Servite twice in person and there is no way Butch or Pittman are POY. The are really good but not the best high school players on O or D. Defense is easy, it is Porter, with a target on his back his numbers were great and against the PAC 5 school he played great. He pass rushing alone pushes him past Butch.
I am sorry but Pittman's play in the playoff took him out of nomination.

The Offensive Player of the year, If SM wins, Stanton...another easy one...There is not a player in the OC that you would have to game plan more for than Stanton. Going up against a good PAC 5 defense are dominating is pretty special. Other notable performance in this order all QBs, SC (winner and not alot of mistakes) , HB (almost single handly took MV down, close call and HB wins, in great rally and main reason HB played well down the stretch,5:1 TD/int ratio ), and ET (great arm, good at read and getting better at throwing the out but against an average PAC 5 defense (HB) had a rating of 62, other are much higher, I dont believe his numbers would be as good in PAC 5.

OS
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:46 am

Old School wrote:I have seen Servite twice in person and there is no way Butch or Pittman are POY. The are really good but not the best high school players on O or D. Defense is easy, it is Porter, with a target on his back his numbers were great and against the PAC 5 school he played great. He pass rushing alone pushes him past Butch.

The Offensive Player of the year, If SM wins, Stanton...another easy one...There is not a player in the OC that you would have to game plan more for than Stanton. Going up against a good PAC 5 defense are dominating is pretty special. Other notable performance in this order all QBs, SC (winner and not alot of mistakes) , HB (almost single handly took MV down, close call and HB wins, in great rally and main reason HB played well down the stretch,5:1 TD/int ratio ), and ET (great arm, good at read and getting better at throwing the out but against an average PAC 5 defense (HB) had a rating of 62, other are much higher, I dont believe his numbers would be as good in PAC 5.

OS

Porter is a stud no doubt (and has been since his PW days at La Mirada) but no way I take him over Butch..Butch can do it all..best player in OC this year imo
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:49 am

slowyoroll wrote:
Porter is a stud no doubt (and has been since his PW days at La Mirada) but no way I take him over Butch..Butch can do it all..best player in OC this year imo
From your finger tips to Gods ear :thumbsup:

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:41 pm

It is difficult to compare Stanton and Manning in the QB position as they are completely different.
Both have guided their teams to victories but by two different methods. Manning with his arm and
Stanton with his legs and arm. No one can fault either one for the leadership they have shown this
year in guiding their teams. However you then have to look at their opponents. The SOS from SM
is much higher than's ET. Stanton faced much tougher defenses than ET and one has to wonder if
Manning would have been as successful if he faced the same teams. Since one will never know for sure
I feel you have to go with the SOS each team had. That is not to "put down" Manning and what he
has accomplished this year. Stanton should be the POY!

We are O Lu

Post by We are O Lu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Old School wrote:I have seen Servite twice in person and there is no way Butch or Pittman are POY. The are really good but not the best high school players on O or D. Defense is easy, it is Porter, with a target on his back his numbers were great and against the PAC 5 school he played great. He pass rushing alone pushes him past Butch.

OS
I think you nailed it. Porter and Stanton are the defensive and offensive players of the year.

I thought that Coach Welch did an outstanding job using his QB's strengths!

gofor2

Post by gofor2 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:21 am

No doubt Butch Pauu is a great player but IMO Aaron Porter is the better player. Both have great instincts for the game however, I think what seperates the two is Porters size he plays at 6'2 230lbs. IMO Porter just brings a few more tangibles to the table than Pauu. If Pauu had Porters size I would have to say co-POY. Scout.com has Porter listed above Pauu on their top prospects list giving credance to Porter distiguishing himself as being the better player. Porter for POY

KeepitFootball

Post by KeepitFootball » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:02 am

Yep Porter and Stanton POY

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Stanton, the reincarnation of Jake Locker, rose above Manning
in the conference finals and Porter will start as a freshman for UCLA.

Offense: Johnny Stanton, QB - Santa Margarita
Defense: Aaron Porter, LB - La Habra

Book it, Stevie!
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama