Brinkley One of OC's Best HC

Old School

Brinkley One of OC's Best HC

Post by Old School » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Some have touched on the topic but many do not know that Newport/Mesa SD does not have open enrollment. So if a kid at CDM JR High are wants to play for Brinkley he can not. Newport's boundry is basically north of the bay.
Another typical scenerio is a Mesa Verde kid (many studs have gone to Edison) do not want to go to Estancia, he can enroll in the HBUSD (Edison across the river) as a frosh and the family is good to go even though they live in CM. They can not go to Newport High they must go to Estancia.

Yet Brinkley still competes, HB has open enrollement so kids usally pick Edison or a few HB for football. Several All League HB players this season lived closer to Marina than HB, but they wanted no part of Marina when they were jr. high kids after seeing Marina.

The other tough factor for Brinkley is the district is a tax based district versus generating revenue from each student, so the district does not want kids outside the boundry coming in.

Hats off to Brinks...for doing so well for so long
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

Old School

Re: Brinkley One of OC's Best HC

Post by Old School » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Stan, sounds like you need to go on a long run in Peters Canyon...wow ...you forgot the pop corn btw

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:22 pm

If he's such a smart coach he should have never run that weak Super Nine onto Angels Stadium against Orange Lutheran that year. He should have had his team stayed home, and saved the embarrassment.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

INTHETRENCHES

Post by INTHETRENCHES » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Notorious wrote:If he's such a smart coach he should have never run that weak Super Nine onto Angels Stadium against Orange Lutheran that year. He should have had his team stayed home, and saved the embarrassment.
Wow, notorious... what is that, "SUPER NINE". You must be on of the guys who plays too much madden on your SUPER NINTENDO.

Coach Brinkley IS one of the smartest coaches out there. He plays his strengths from week to week, and puts his team in the best position to win. And the "PRO STYLE" offense that he runs (if thats what you were trying to get at) seemed to have worked the rest of the year considering the game you are talking about is the "CIF FINAL". Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against OLU. They were loaded that year with guys, like they are most years. They just showed up and played better football that day. But that doesn't mean that coach doesn't know what he's doing, or how to prep for a team.

Funny, how his same style of offense that is so "WEAK" is used by some of the biggest programs in nation.

Hats off to you Coach Brinkley. TAR BALL!
"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:04 am

INTHETRENCHES wrote:
Wow, notorious... what is that, "SUPER NINE". You must be on of the guys who plays too much madden on your SUPER NINTENDO.

Coach Brinkley IS one of the smartest coaches out there. He plays his strengths from week to week, and puts his team in the best position to win. And the "PRO STYLE" offense that he runs (if thats what you were trying to get at) seemed to have worked the rest of the year considering the game you are talking about is the "CIF FINAL". Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against OLU. They were loaded that year with guys, like they are most years. They just showed up and played better football that day. But that doesn't mean that coach doesn't know what he's doing, or how to prep for a team.

Funny, how his same style of offense that is so "WEAK" is used by some of the biggest programs in nation.

Hats off to you Coach Brinkley. TAR BALL!
Uh why don't you ask Stan what the Super Nine is.

Also as far as the rest of your post, another one bites the dust.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 am

So Newport should have stayed home from the Finals, kinda like OLU should have stayed home the next year against Tustin, in the first round! Talk about embarrassment.
Notorious,
Can you name the number of coaches that have won over 200 games in OC history?
Can you name a coach in OC history that has not been beaten badly? or as you put it an "embarrassment"

I always remember listening to Coach John Mckay speak once at the NFCA. There must have been a few thousand coaches at this conference. So, he asked "Who is the worst coach in this room? "How many here have lost 5 games in a row?" a great number of coaches raised their hands. "how many have lost 10 in a row?" Not as many raised their hands but still a good amount. So then he asked "How many have lost 25 games in a row?" Not one coach raised their hands, To which he replied, "Then I must be the worst coach in the room because I have lost 26 games in a row!"

One game does not make a career

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:39 am

Samurai wrote:So Newport should have stayed home from the Finals, kinda like OLU should have stayed home the next year against Tustin, in the first round! Talk about embarrassment.
Notorious,
Can you name the number of coaches that have won over 200 games in OC history?
Can you name a coach in OC history that has not been beaten badly? or as you put it an "embarrassment"

I always remember listening to Coach John Mckay speak once at the NFCA. There must have been a few thousand coaches at this conference. So, he asked "Who is the worst coach in this room? "How many here have lost 5 games in a row?" a great number of coaches raised their hands. "how many have lost 10 in a row?" Not as many raised their hands but still a good amount. So then he asked "How many have lost 25 games in a row?" Not one coach raised their hands, To which he replied, "Then I must be the worst coach in the room because I have lost 26 games in a row!"

One game does not make a career
I lobbied to stay home the next year, I told everyone we were going to lose and we lost.

Also just call me Freddie Mercury because another bites the dust ah ah.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Samurai wrote:Can you name the number of coaches that have won over 200 games in OC history?
Yes, eight.

Bick

Post by Bick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:41 am

stansdonut wrote:It was a one loss year for the 2004 tars. One loss cif finals vs Lu. Roxas and moose Theriot named co cif players of the year. Brinkley coached moose to player of the year then shrine game MVP and tar lore earning full ride and starting fullback ucla. Moose is a case in point on the great coaching of jeff Brinkley.
Hey...let's not forget he was a Wendy's HS Heisman finalist!

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 am

250 wins are 250 no matter what!

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:10 am

Coach Brinkley is not only one of the best coaches in the county (which has become even more impressive for the boundary issues you raise), he is one of the classiest guys I have met. He runs a great program and is one of those people I would love for my son to play for someday (not going to happen as my kid is too young and going to stay a bit closer to home). Coached against he and that staff for a number of years and I can't think of a group, along with Hennigan at Irvine, that we respected more.

Noto, you can gloat about OLu beating Newport, but it certainly doesn't diminish what Brinkley has done, and the quality of coaching that take place at Newport.

Old School

Post by Old School » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Brinks is a good guy, I have spoken to him several times about Sunset football and he does not know me. In fact most of his staff are good guys and good coaches. I have been at ball games and just had some nice conversations about HS sports with his fellow coaches. He is old school and a very normal guy.
I would have no problem with my kids playing for him or TC. Good people.