Freshman Football Player Counts

scootermcray

Freshman Football Player Counts

Post by scootermcray »

I have heard many rumors about Freshman teams being down in their counts this year, especially the Trinity League teams.

Does anyone know what the true numbers are? I have heard that SM and Servite were both 50 players.
KnoR

Re: Freshman Football Player Counts

Post by KnoR »

Those from the Friar Nation last spring were posting about how they make cuts at the Freshman level. I remember comments from some who lament the lost opportuities of kids who wash out of the program that ultimately may have matured into productive players.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

I'm sure that numbers are down everywhere. Fear of concussions are keeping a lot of players from signing up.

As far as Trinity numbers, times are tough and less parents can afford private schools.
Mr. MaGoo

Post by Mr. MaGoo »

Servite had well over 100+ kids come out for the 2 week tryout period. All kids where charged $250. for the tryout. Servite then cut over 50+ kids from the 100+ kids that they had in order to get down to what they currently have on the Freshmen team.
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

dont be that guy wrote:I'm sure that numbers are down everywhere. Fear of concussions are keeping a lot of players from signing up.

As far as Trinity numbers, times are tough and less parents can afford private schools.
I believe it has more to do with all the media coverage of the concussion issue. SM has full enrollment and their largest freshman class in years but only 40 freshman football players.
KnoR

Post by KnoR »

BuckW wrote:
I believe it has more to do with all the media coverage of the concussion issue. SM has full enrollment and their largest freshman class in years but only 40 freshman football players.
Do you think SM is a good example?

Drug Dealer Coaches, and a Mentally and Physically abusive head coach. If I had a son, I would have to be a negligent parent to allow him to be around that program.
nmmyi

Post by nmmyi »

I do know that Youth Football counts are down as well...Pop Warner, Junior All American, etc...translates into Freshman numbers going forward.

Concussions, Flag Football options, Finances are the top reasons cited when asked...
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

The fees and time commitments the coaches ask (demand?) from the parents and kids to keep up with the joneses (for JSerra it would be MV, Tesoro, SM, Mater Dei, etc.) and remain competitive in the Pac-5 are far more exhaustive than they were even five years ago.

My son played at a public and I think I paid about $600 in participation, spirit pack and summer camp fees total for three varsity seasons. Amazing, huh? I think SM and MD are over $2k per year. Wow!

Do you "need" 100 players to compete? No, and I think Troy Thomas realized that this year. 50 is a good number as you only need one staff, one coach bus for road games and one prx field. North of 60 let alone 100 becomes hard to manage. SM's current senior class supposedly had 44 players in their undefeated freshman season (2009) when the fees (and cultural intensity) were lower, but about 50 last year and I understand 40 this year.

Bundled together with time and fees are concussions, the rise in alternative contact sports like hockey and lacrosse (which surprisingly attracts a lot of kids who might have otherwise gave football a go in the past) and well documented "rumors" of overly focused coaches like Johnson, Hartigan and Welch barking at players, parents and asst coaches from time to time. These factors have given pause to certain families.
TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan »

scootermcray wrote:I have heard many rumors about Freshman teams being down in their counts this year, especially the Trinity League teams.

Does anyone know what the true numbers are? I have heard that SM and Servite were both 50 players.
I can't speak for anyone else, but our numbers are up even with the smallest incoming class since 1990. We normally have about 50 kids (45 last year) and this year we are over 65. Word was that El Toro was down to 30 kids though.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

There were articles in major newspapers that overall there was a 3% drop in kids seven and up playing
american football in the 2010-2011 season, largely because of the concussion issues by vast media investigations and liability issues that are arising from parents suing clubs, formalized youth group play and schools regarding
how football is being conducted with their kids, etc

Experts in the field are saying there will be probably a 5-6% drop in kids playing FB for the 2011-2012 season
once the results are tabulated and will continue to drop in the future years as parents direct their kids to
other less physical sports. Experts are predicting that in 20-30 years, american football as we know it, will
be played in a vastly different manner, if at all! Interesting to say the least.

Wasn't american football outlawed in the early 1900's for a while?
FPK Pirate

Post by FPK Pirate »

Trabuco typically has around 100 freshman, but this year there is only 52. This is a big hit for the program.
inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto »

nmmyi wrote:I do know that Youth Football counts are down as well...Pop Warner, Junior All American, etc...translates into Freshman numbers going forward.

Concussions, Flag Football options, Finances are the top reasons cited when asked...
...not true here. PW numbers are actually up this season.
Percussus Resurgo
Finnfisher

Post by Finnfisher »

OLu freshman numbers are up a bit this year after two slightly lower years. The frosh red team is loaded with skill players and some massive size.