Servite vs. Edison

sammy swordsman

Servite vs. Edison

Post by sammy swordsman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Servite could be in real trouble on Friday. Edison seems to be rolling with a veteran QB and a chip on their shoulder, needing to prove they can hang with the Pac 5. They know that beating Mater Dei this year is a long shot so the Chargers are going to pull out all the stops for a victory against the Friars.

The Servite program is in turmoil over the mid season removal of 2 popular coaches. The impact on the players is undetermined at this point, but at best is still a huge distraction.

Edisons Big and Physical O-line will allow the Chargers to play Ball control and keep the Servite offense off the field. Big advantage in the passing game and overall scheme goes to Edison as the Friars are still looking for their offensive identity and have yet to show they can move the ball consistently on anyone.

Edison has a score to settle, and the Friars have been looking like a deer in the headlights so far in 2012.

mar595

Re: Servite vs. Edison

Post by mar595 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Bold statements. Only time will tell.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am

sammy swordsman wrote:Servite could be in real trouble on Friday. Edison seems to be rolling with a veteran QB and a chip on their shoulder, needing to prove they can hang with the Pac 5. They know that beating Mater Dei this year is a long shot so the Chargers are going to pull out all the stops for a victory against the Friars.

The Servite program is in turmoil over the mid season removal of 2 popular coaches. The impact on the players is undetermined at this point, but at best is still a huge distraction.

Edisons Big and Physical O-line will allow the Chargers to play Ball control and keep the Servite offense off the field. Big advantage in the passing game and overall scheme goes to Edison as the Friars are still looking for their offensive identity and have yet to show they can move the ball consistently on anyone.

Edison has a score to settle, and the Friars have been looking like a deer in the headlights so far in 2012.
Very good post, except for one point: Alek Torgersen is not a "veteran QB".

betterman

Post by betterman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:12 am

Edison will have to play a better game than they did against VP. It will be intersting to see how much different the offense will be with Thomas - I mean O'Connell calling the plays.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:25 am

sammy swordsman wrote:Servite could be in real trouble on Friday. Edison seems to be rolling with a veteran QB and a chip on their shoulder, needing to prove they can hang with the Pac 5. They know that beating Mater Dei this year is a long shot so the Chargers are going to pull out all the stops for a victory against the Friars.

Kind of cracks me up that a St. Paul guy is worrying about Servite playing Edison, hmmm, maybe just hoping.

As far as turmoil goes, how many people did you actually talk to face to face last Friday night at Servite who expressed a concern, I know I talked to ZERO and I was at the school with over a thousand others from 6:00 PM to 11:30 PM,

Good coaches figure things out and do what they need to do, that doesn't mean I am saying that Servite is going to be great all of a sudden, it just means what I posted. I know of a team last year that could have missed the playoffs and was a 3-2 team in league, but like I posted, good coaches figure things out, just like Harry Welch did a year ago with his 3-2 team that barely made the playoffs and yet did, only to win the state!
Last edited by THETRUTH on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDGuy

Post by MDGuy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:47 am

THETRUTH wrote: Kind of cracks me up that a St. Paul guy is worrying about Servite playing Edison, hmmm, maybe just hoping.
I was always under the impression Sammy was a St Paul graduate but he sends his sons to Servite. :eh?:

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 am

MDGuy wrote: I was always under the impression Sammy was a St Paul graduate but he sends his sons to Servite. :eh?:
Then he needs to get a clue!

An indication of that would be his comment regarding Edison and Mater Dei, I doubt the MD kids will not work hard for their game with Edison and I am sure that he Edison kids will come after MD with a win in mind. This is an example of some guy thinking he really knows what is going on and not understanding there is a reason the the game is actually played!
Last edited by THETRUTH on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ringer

Post by ringer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:08 am

Edison has to be a slight favorite but Servite always shows up ready to play.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 am

ringer wrote:Edison has to be a slight favorite but Servite always shows up ready to play.
I could understand that thought and I am sure both teams plan on winning and playing hard.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:33 am

THETRUTH wrote:
I could understand that thought and I am sure both teams plan on winning and playing hard.
Servite sucks.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 am

THETRUTH wrote:
Then he needs to get a clue!

An indication of that would be his comment regarding Edison and Mater Dei, I doubt the MD kids will not work hard for their game with Edison and I am sure that he Edison kids will come after MD with a win in mind. This is an example of some guy thinking he really knows what is going on and not understanding there is a reason the the game is actually played!

TRUTH,

I think my observations are valid. What specifically do you take exception to?

Are we not allowed to speculate on a game prior to the game actually being played?

I support Servite, but I won't let that stop me from making legitimate observations regarding their progress. If the "emperor has no clothes" I am going to say so.

Bottom line is Edison is going to pose a huge threat to Servite, and Servite may not be able to handle the Chargers this year.

P.S. Are you saying that firing 2 coaches including the offensive coordinator after the 2nd game, does not amount to having "turmoil" in the program? Just because the 600 people you saw at school had their "Happy faces" on, doesn't mean some of the more knowledgable ones were not concerned.

avonbarksdale

Post by avonbarksdale » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 am

The dye for this rivalry was cast in 2009. On that fair night, Servite's own version of Kid Lester brought the rains. The rains dashed Edison's hopes of a title that night and 20 months on Edison's relevance as a football program in SoCal went to down the drain as well.

For Edison to pay Servite back, it would need a lot more than a win Friday. Edison has been banished to Division 6, and its banishment is more or less at the hands of the black.

Say hello to St. Paul and Los Al down there for us Edison.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:28 pm

This could be a good game, Ironic that rain supposedly added to Edison woes in final in 09, but did not Help much in 10 against DLS. I don't buy the rain deal as why Edison or Servite lost in it. They got beat because the other team played better that day. Does not mean the other team could not beat them on any given day, just not that day. So Playthegame and swag and brag until next time. On Fridays it's always 0-0 to start. What happens if the bannished beat the black do they go to D12 and fight it out with St. Maggie? Hope the CREDO Cup is full next week... you can bet their is some settling up to do, for both teams now facing relevance.

avonbarksdale

Post by avonbarksdale » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm

You're so right, Servite is nearly irrelevant at this point.
Idiot.
Servite is the epicenter of Southern California football.
Best fans = Servite
Best Tradition = Servite
Best Run of Play over last 5 years in SoCal = Servite

Fighting for relevance? Come on man.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:23 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:

TRUTH,

I think my observations are valid. What specifically do you take exception to?

Are we not allowed to speculate on a game prior to the game actually being played?

I support Servite, but I won't let that stop me from making legitimate observations regarding their progress. If the "emperor has no clothes" I am going to say so.

Bottom line is Edison is going to pose a huge threat to Servite, and Servite may not be able to handle the Chargers this year.

P.S. Are you saying that firing 2 coaches including the offensive coordinator after the 2nd game, does not amount to having "turmoil" in the program? Just because the 600 people you saw at school had their "Happy faces" on, doesn't mean some of the more knowledgable ones were not concerned.

Haha, when you put a few drinks into someone the "happy face" persona starts disapearing. I at least posted something factual that I was part of, not playing guessing games about others.

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Notorious wrote: Servite sucks.
Haha, that was a fantastic post.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 pm

avonbarksdale wrote:The rains dashed Edison's hopes of a title that night and 20 months on Edison's relevance as a football program in SoCal went to down the drain as well.
avonbarksdale wrote:You're so right, Servite is nearly irrelevant at this point.
Idiot.
Your words - Your logic - Barksy. What ever measure you judge so shall you be judged. Fool.

hated

Post by hated » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 pm

avonbarksdale wrote:You're so right, Servite is nearly irrelevant at this point.
Idiot.
Servite is the epicenter of Southern California football.
Best fans = Servite
Best Tradition = Servite
Best Run of Play over last 5 years in SoCal = Servite

Fighting for relevance? Come on man.
Think Servite backs most of these comments up. Where's the line about the homers with the most humility ?

ringer

Post by ringer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

avonbarksdale wrote:The dye for this rivalry was cast in 2009. On that fair night, Servite's own version of Kid Lester brought the rains. The rains dashed Edison's hopes of a title that night and 20 months on Edison's relevance as a football program in SoCal went to down the drain as well.

For Edison to pay Servite back, it would need a lot more than a win Friday. Edison has been banished to Division 6, and its banishment is more or less at the hands of the black.

Say hello to St. Paul and Los Al down there for us Edison.

You sound like you are already making excuses and justifications for an upcoming loss (to a D6 team).

I've always had respect for Servite and their success on the field. Let's see how it plays out on Friday.

edac25

Post by edac25 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Although still a great OC Football rivalry, this year's edition of Friars vs. Chargers has lost some of it's luster. Servite is fielding, IMO, it's weakest team in the Thomas era and frankly has not looked good through 2 games. The line play on both sides of the ball continues to be a problem and youth all over the field will take time to mature and play at an elite level. Friars still play vintage Troy Thomas football but they just don't have the horses in 2012. Edison is not only also similarly pretty average in 2012 (compared to Charger teams of the past 5 years), but they have been dealt the blow of getting cast off to D6 which is just devastating to a proud program like the Chargers have. Not playing with the "Big Boys" for the Pac5 Title has to be absolutely killing long-time Edison fans. I would rather lose in the 2nd round of the Pac5 playoffs than beat Tustin for the D6 Title.

I will be there Friday night. Somehow it just won't be the same.