MONARCHS finish Trinity in 5th place?

2cents

MONARCHS finish Trinity in 5th place?

Post by 2cents »

After seeing some of the recent hysteria over this year’s Monarch team, I wanted to pose a couple of questions and give some observations on the current MD team.

First question: Going into league at 4-1, will the Monarchs be ranked above JSerra and OLu at 5-0 in the county top 10 and should they???

Second question: To date, is this year’s MD team even better than last year’s squad?

In looking at this year’s MD team, I really cannot tell if they’re any better than last year. Sure they’ve had good margins of victory, but against what type of competition. The likes of St. Paul and this year’s version of Carson are nowhere near the level of competition we’re used to seeing MD play against in the preseason. With the exception of Narbonne where did the schedule not get easier?

Keep in mind that last year’s preseason looked like this:
-Carson (City Section Finalist)
-Corona Centennial (IE Section Finalist)
-San Clemente (Pac 5 finalist)
-Edison (Pac 5 playoffs)
-Gardena (this was a gimme)

This is what this preseason looks like:
-St. Paul (really)
-Carson (nowhere near their teams of the last 3 years, will have to be much much better to make playoffs)
-Santa Monica (only team better than Gardena from last years list)
-Edison (not as talented as last years version)
-Narbonne (only team that’s a step up, probably better compared to Centennial’s team from 2 years ago. This will get ugly real quick for the Monarchs)

What concerns me is that MD put up zero points in the 2nd half of the St. Paul game and started having problems against the run as well. Against Carson, I heard that the Colts beat themselves numerous times with bad snaps and fumbles. They also were able to repeatedly get receivers deep behind MDs secondary and they also got to the McMahon multiple times.

With the multitude of injuries that have already taken its toll on MDs line, what’s going to happen when the play respectable teams?

They could easily end up 1-4 or 2-3 in league. SM and Bosco are putting up big numbers, Servite is always a toss up regardless of record, and OLu’s option could be polished enough by this game to take the win.

Scary!!!
BoscoBandWagon

Re: MONARCHS finish Trinity in 5th place?

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

md fans think this year's team is much improved. in all 3 phases. i agree.
servite is still servite. they just beat RC who was highly ranked. 7 league titles in 7 years for troy thomas
sm has the best talent in the league.
olu has a college coach who in just a few months changed the entire culture of the program. u will see a much improved olu team compared to the garbage they put out the past few years.
bosco's defense is scary. the starters have given up less than 10 first downs all year (3 games) and the opponent has not crossed mid-field on their defense.
jserra is well coached, can beat you on special teams and if u treat them like an off week they can come up and surprise you.

my prediction
bosco 3-2
olu 3-2
md 3-2
servite 3-2
sm 3-2
jserra 0-5

before the sm fans crap themselves. u guys WERE 3-2 last year and beat bosco at your home by 8 points.u loose that game and SM does not even make the playoffs.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

OLU will be lucky to win 2 games in league, it's far more likely they win 1 than they win 3.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
edac25

Post by edac25 »

MD Nation has a right to be excited about the 2012 Monarchs. This is the best team they've had since Barkley's Jr. season. An already very solid core of retunring players was made much stronger by some excellent sophs and some big-time, high-impact D1 transfers. Coach Rollo is as excited as he's been in a long time as he knows he's got a shot at surpring some people this year and posssibly...possibly making a deep run into the Pac5 Playoffs.

SM is the obvious favorite and deservedly so however their recent losses to Mission Viejo will hurt them. Bosco is also looking very good yet like MD, haven't played ANYBODY so far so we don't really know what either team is really made of. Servite is down. Plain and simple. They will fight like a Troy Thomas teams always does but not a real threat in 2012. OLU is an unknown as well as they too haven't played anyone. Running that offense in the Pac5 against GOOD defenses will be difficult. Expect Lancers to be tougher/more physical than what they've shown past several years. JSerra - same story different year.

Trinity Finish
SM
MD
SJB
Ser
OLU
JS
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

i understand what people say about the bosco schedule i really do. but accordingly to calpreps lakewood (bosco's toughest opponent) is rated higher than st paul (Mater Dei's toughest opponent).
lakewood besides the bosco beating has scored 38 and 31 points in their two wins. lakewood is still a good team and will finish no worse than 2nd in the moore league..and by the way poly has looked in the two games i have seen on the internet lakewood would beat poly at this point.
bosco is 3-0 and we will find out a lot about them in their next two games. loyola, jordan(utah)
mater dei after thursday will be 3-0 and we will learn a lot about them in their following two games (edison, narbonne).

in all honesty i expect them to battle it out for 2nd place.......
but sm will loose a games and no way am i saying servite is a 4th place team....not by what i heard servite did in that 2nd half to a very talented rancho cucamonga team. thomas will have those guys trinity ready....
templar83

Post by templar83 »

2cents wrote:After seeing some of the recent hysteria over this year’s Monarch team, I wanted to pose a couple of questions and give some observations on the current MD team.

First question: Going into league at 4-1, will the Monarchs be ranked above JSerra and OLu at 5-0 in the county top 10 and should they???

Second question: To date, is this year’s MD team even better than last year’s squad?

In looking at this year’s MD team, I really cannot tell if they’re any better than last year. Sure they’ve had good margins of victory, but against what type of competition. The likes of St. Paul and this year’s version of Carson are nowhere near the level of competition we’re used to seeing MD play against in the preseason. With the exception of Narbonne where did the schedule not get easier?

-Edison (Pac 5 playoffs)

-St. Paul (really)
-Carson (nowhere near their teams of the last 3 years, will have to be much much better to make playoffs)
-Narbonne (only team that’s a step up, probably better compared to Centennial’s team from 2 years ago. This will get ugly real quick for the Monarchs)

What concerns me is that MD put up zero points in the 2nd half of the St. Paul game and started having problems against the run as well. Against Carson, I heard that the Colts beat themselves numerous times with bad snaps and fumbles. They also were able to repeatedly get receivers deep behind MDs secondary and they also got to the McMahon multiple times.

With the multitude of injuries that have already taken its toll on MDs line, what’s going to happen when the play respectable teams?

They could easily end up 1-4 or 2-3 in league. SM and Bosco are putting up big numbers, Servite is always a toss up regardless of record, and OLu’s option could be polished enough by this game to take the win.

Scary!!!

You're right, of course, MD is not very good. Thanks for settling the issue. Bosco putting up those big numbers against the likes of Santa Fe high school and Compton Dominguez is scary indeed. It is still possible MD will get a win against JSerra, but after your assessment, that sounds doubtful as well. I guess the Monarchs will have to look towards next year for football. :shrug:
scootermcray

Post by scootermcray »

I think edac has it right.

SM 5-0 (don't see them losing this year)
MD 4-1 (strong team, just how strong)
SJB 3-2 (will give MD a fight for 2nd)
Ser 2-3 (greatest unknown after two games)
OLu 1-4 (this is a three horse race)
JS 0-5 (just too young, no depth)
2cents

Post by 2cents »

templar83 wrote:

You're right, of course, MD is not very good. Thanks for settling the issue. Bosco putting up those big numbers against the likes of Santa Fe high school and Compton Dominguez is scary indeed. It is still possible MD will get a win against JSerra, but after your assessment, that sounds doubtful as well. I guess the Monarchs will have to look towards next year for football. :shrug:

So MD is really good???

Bosco's put up bigger numbers over similar levels of competition. Bosco has better team speed and way more experienced OL/DL play (and is probably a little bigger as well).

OLu is still growing into their system and you don't expect as many big scoring games (running attacks control the ball), so they're doing what you'd expect them to do... Versus their only common opponent, Damien, they did about the same. What's going to be easier to stop, MDs run game or OLu option run game 4 games from now?

Against Servite, here's the problem... MD doesn't run up the middle. They run off tackle, b/c that's where their strength is. Servite will make the adjustment and force McMahon to pass, which can be hit or miss (see St. Paul game). This gives Servite a much better chance of winning a game against MD.

SM is SM.

That's all I'm saying.
Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 »

If you know the game of football, all you have to see is this year's Monarchs have the football savvy, play making ability that has been missing from previous Mater Dei teams. Its doesn't matter who they played at this point. You cans see it on the field. Even when giving up a big play to good athletes, The defense stiffened up and keep them out of the endzone, something previous teams couldn't do. Its been apparent MD teams usually start out slow, but these past two games, while its not been perfect or anything to gloat about - it was a better start than the other years. About the schedule FYI, Santa Monica is no slouch and will be tougher than Edison, and San Clemente (SC opponents played so far is 0-8).. Santa Monica, was city section semi-finalist at 11-2, and are 2-0 this year - led by USC commit WR Sebastian LaRue.. their offense has put up 42,53 points so far..

And not scoring in the second half of a 35-0 first game is not a concern, when seconds and thirds where getting playing time.. the dogs where called off.. And Yes, Injuries are part of the game and can derail a season quicker than you know. Its something you have to deal with and play on. That being said, offensive line is one area they have depth. I don't think its fair to say, they could be easily 1-4, 2-3 in league. Its too early to make that statement. All I know, is there is a different feel, look on the field to this team than past teams...

2cents wrote:After seeing some of the recent hysteria over this year’s Monarch team, I wanted to pose a couple of questions and give some observations on the current MD team.

-Edison (Pac 5 playoffs)

-St. Paul (really)

Scary!!!
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

I would be very surprised if Santa Monica stayed within two TDs of Mater Dei. This has 35-7 written all over it. I also wouldn't be surprised if MD beat Narbonne either, but it should be close.

SJB is going to be the biggest challenge for MD and SM.

OLu will pose first half problems for every team in league and they may even steal a win or two in league with Jacot's sound defense and Air Force's tough-to-prepare-for offense.

My prediction is that SM and MD play twice this year. For some reason I just see it coming.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Mr. Grady wrote:I would be very surprised if Santa Monica stayed within two TDs of Mater Dei. This has 35-7 written all over it. I also wouldn't be surprised if MD beat Narbonne either, but it should be close.

SJB is going to be the biggest challenge for MD and SM.

OLu will pose first half problems for every team in league and they may even steal a win or two in league with Jacot's sound defense and Air Force's tough-to-prepare-for offense.

My prediction is that SM and MD play twice this year. For some reason I just see it coming.
Good post. However, as it looks right now, I'm not sure there's a team in the state than can beat Narbonne. If they meet Santa Margarita in the regional game, and De La Salle in the state bowl game, I suspect people will see just how good they are.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

MDDad wrote:I'm not sure there's a team in the state than can beat Narbonne

MD will get Narbonne and then SM in league...I just want to know if Rollo has named the team yet, last one I remember was Red Destiny. I think it was Barkley's Jr. year or was it Sr. year. If he names the team, look out. If MD is as good as indicated they should make a very strong run this year...

No matter what they will get to measure up against two very good teams and the out come of those games could impact regional selection.
templar83

Post by templar83 »

Playthegame wrote:

MD will get Narbonne and then SM in league...I just want to know if Rollo has named the team yet, last one I remember was Red Destiny. I think it was Barkley's Jr. year or was it Sr. year. If he names the team, look out. If MD is as good as indicated they should make a very strong run this year...

No matter what they will get to measure up against two very good teams and the out come of those games could impact regional selection.
You have to forgive MDDad, he even looks like Lou Holtz. Got the same sense of humor as well.
templar83

Post by templar83 »

2cents wrote:

So MD is really good???

Bosco's put up bigger numbers over similar levels of competition. Bosco has better team speed and way more experienced OL/DL play (and is probably a little bigger as well).

OLu is still growing into their system and you don't expect as many big scoring games (running attacks control the ball), so they're doing what you'd expect them to do... Versus their only common opponent, Damien, they did about the same. What's going to be easier to stop, MDs run game or OLu option run game 4 games from now?

Against Servite, here's the problem... MD doesn't run up the middle. They run off tackle, b/c that's where their strength is. Servite will make the adjustment and force McMahon to pass, which can be hit or miss (see St. Paul game). This gives Servite a much better chance of winning a game against MD.

SM is SM.

That's all I'm saying.
No, I did not say they're good. I take you at your word; MD will struggle and Bosco is a juggernaut. MD nevers runs the A gap and they're passing game is suspect. Against Bosco they will look slow and small. Olu will trample the Monarchs and Servite will out scheme them. Like I said, looking forward to next year. :notworthy:
2cents

Post by 2cents »

Sweetness34 wrote:If you know the game of football, all you have to see is this year's Monarchs have the football savvy, play making ability that has been missing from previous Mater Dei teams. Its doesn't matter who they played at this point. You cans see it on the field. Even when giving up a big play to good athletes, The defense stiffened up and keep them out of the endzone, something previous teams couldn't do. Its been apparent MD teams usually start out slow, but these past two games, while its not been perfect or anything to gloat about - it was a better start than the other years.
I feel I know my football pretty well, so here's my questions:

1) Regarding play making ability over previous MD teams, who on the current roster is a bigger playmaker than Victor Blackwell (not to mention Max Wittek, Barkley, etc...), from just 2 seasons ago?

2)In the past couple of years, when did MD ever play anyone the caliber of St. Paul for the first game?

3) Was this year's Carson team better than their past 3 years' teams that played MD?

4) Did Carson not score at the end of the first half b/c of good defense or bad refs?

5)I heard as I stated before that Carson had major problems with the snap both on Special Team and Offensive sets. I watched last years Carson/MD game on TV. With a much better Carson QB, RB, and Darius Rodgers. Would MD current team have beaten last year's Carson team during zero week?

6) Would this year's MD team have kept Corona Centennial's 2010 out of the end zone?

My point is that MD hasn't played the same quality of team they've faced the first 2 games compared to the last 3 seasons. Even Barkley's senior year's team barely beat Carson. And that team was a better team than any team that's come through the program since...

The wins this year are great, but they don't mean much!
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Playthegame wrote:I just want to know if Rollo has named the team yet, last one I remember was Red Destiny. I think it was Barkley's Jr. year or was it Sr. year. If he names the team, look out.
The team is named every year. Here are the last five years:

2008 - Red Valor
2009 - Red Challenge
2010 - Red Attack
2011 - Red Intensity
2012 - Red Ambition

Red Destiny was 2006, Barkley's sophomore year.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

2cents wrote:1) Regarding play making ability over previous MD teams, who on the current roster is a bigger playmaker than Victor Blackwell (not to mention Max Wittek, Barkley, etc...), from just 2 seasons ago?

5)Would MD current team have beaten last year's Carson team during zero week?

6) Would this year's MD team have kept Corona Centennial's 2010 out of the end zone?
1. Thomas Duarte and Jonathan Lockett are equal to Victor Blackwell as playmakers because they play both offense and defense. Both are superior to Max Wittek as playmakers.

5. Probably, since Carson won last year on a pass to Darreus Rogers on the last play of the game.

6. No, but Corona Centennial in 2010 scored over 42 points in every game but the state bowl game, so what is your point?
Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 »

1. MD Dad said perfectly - Thomas Duarte and Jonathan Lockett are equal to Victor Blackwell as playmakers because they play both offense and defense. Both are superior to Max Wittek as playmakers... but Max without a doubt is a better QB than what they have this year. Blackwell was a one-way player. Lockett, Duarte, Ben Humphreys, Treavon Coley can make plays on both sides of the ball. Its been along time, since Mater Dei has had two-way play makers.

2. What's your point? Schedules take on changes for several reasons.. St. Paul wasn't as strong as thought, but they aren't slouch team. They were decent, but they just have a murderous schedule.

3. With the exception of the Darreous Rogers, show... He did it all, MD as horrible as they played last year could have won the game, that it came down to the last play of the game. If this Carson team played the MD team last year minus Rogers, they blow MD out.

4. That's a judgement call...Carson called Timeout and elected to run the ball with seconds remaining... rolling the dice, officials said he didn't get in..

5. They did have snap problems, but he also completed alot of those bad snaps... one block punt.. I Believe this team would have beaten last season's Carson team... Lockett playing his first game as a sophomore never gave up anything deep to Rogers. He just got out muscled, for balls, but his coverage was on.

5. This is an irrelevant statement - I believe they would have done a better job than any other MD defense against 2010 Centennial team..

I understand your point that they haven't played anyone - and All I was saying - MD has play makers that they haven't had in the past. You can see it on the field.. If you haven't been to a game and are going by what you've heard, then you need to see in person.. they run to the ball, they can run sideline to sideline, they make plays. Offensively, its not as apparent as defense, but the times Thomas Duarte, Lockett and Jameson Field have touch the ball the get good YAC.. Thomas only has 4 catches, 3 for scores.. Lockett has 4 touches, 2 TDS, (one called back on penalty)... Jameson has been featured the most so far, with receptions and runs.. he's done more in two games than he did all last year. ... It could be all for not, if they win, but its something MD football hasn't seen in awhile.

2cents wrote:
I feel I know my football pretty well, so here's my questions:

1) Regarding play making ability over previous MD teams, who on the current roster is a bigger playmaker than Victor Blackwell (not to mention Max Wittek, Barkley, etc...), from just 2 seasons ago?

2)In the past couple of years, when did MD ever play anyone the caliber of St. Paul for the first game?

3) Was this year's Carson team better than their past 3 years' teams that played MD?

4) Did Carson not score at the end of the first half b/c of good defense or bad refs?

5)I heard as I stated before that Carson had major problems with the snap both on Special Team and Offensive sets. I watched last years Carson/MD game on TV. With a much better Carson QB, RB, and Darius Rodgers. Would MD current team have beaten last year's Carson team during zero week?

My point is that MD hasn't played the same quality of team they've faced the first 2 games compared to the last 3 seasons. Even Barkley's senior year's team barely beat Carson. And that team was a better team than any team that's come through the program since...

The wins this year are great, but they don't mean much!
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

MDDad wrote:1. Thomas Duarte and Jonathan Lockett are equal to Victor Blackwell as playmakers because they play both offense and defense. Both are superior to Max Wittek as playmakers.
Those two are not on the level of Blackwell as far as being big time playmakers.

Not even close.
Finnfisher

Post by Finnfisher »

templar83 wrote:
No, I did not say they're good. I take you at your word; MD will struggle and Bosco is a juggernaut. MD nevers runs the A gap and they're passing game is suspect. Against Bosco they will look slow and small. Olu will trample the Monarchs and Servite will out scheme them. Like I said, looking forward to next year. :notworthy:
\:D/ :cheers: y'all better tape your ankles up good!