So has Servite..

THETRUTH

Re: So has Servite..

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:28 am

GHOGH wrote:

Just calling it like I see it, and hearing it. The action by the staff speaks for it self. Just high school football not rocket science , no need to make anything up on this board. I just hope Servite isnt looking to far into the future and space on this season at hand.

So, you were making up things as if coaches made that statement!

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:33 am

edac25 wrote:Is Eteaki (#2) hurt? If not, come league, he AND Moore better be on the offensive side of the ball at the same time. If they are both healthy and not playing, then you know Thomas is playing for the future.
Did Servite name you the head coach?

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 am

THETRUTH wrote:

So, you were making up things as if coaches made that statement!
What i stated was from the coaches mouth.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 am

THETRUTH wrote:
Did Servite name you the head coach?
THETRUTH is WAY to sensitive to be reading these boards. He has too much personal emotion tied up in the way people view Servite. , and needs to take a break from the boards for the rest of the season. Things will be much better in 2013.
 ! Message from: SoMelo
No personal attacks
Last edited by SoMelo on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted personal attack

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 am

GHOGH wrote: What i stated was from the coaches mouth.
Again, Which coaches said they were throwing in the towel?

There is a difference between what someone actually says and what someone thinks was the meaning of something said!

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:23 am

sammy swordsman wrote:
1. I do not make things up or try to have others think my opinons are facts.

2. I do not jump on a band wagon when someone wins or kick the horse pulling the wagon after a loss.

3. I do not rely on the play of kids to have a life.

4. Oh, I actually have a clue!
Last edited by SoMelo on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote because of personal attack

inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am

UHWarrior wrote:
Throwing in the towel? Isn't that a little premature? League play hasn't even started yet. Servite has some work to do, but you never know. They have a great chance to play "out of the box" mix up personnel, use different offense and defensive schemes that they normally don't run. When you have a young team, with low expectations you can do some really fun things and no one can say your aren't trying. Right now I can see the Friars being the underdogs to SM, MD, OLU, and SJB, and the way JSerra's playing it could be a toss up.

Peace.
...you've got to have the personnel to do so. something the friars don't have....
Percussus Resurgo

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:06 pm

I don't know...I kinda like TT's stash.

Wait...what were we talking about again?

Well, there's always 50/50 raffles.
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

bam-boozle

Post by bam-boozle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:34 pm

edac25 wrote:Let's keep in mind that this is a very young team. Most of the game last week they were playing with the following on offense:

3 Seniors (all on the O-Line)
2 Juniors
5 Sophmores
1 Freshman

I have NEVER seen such a young starting unit at Servite. NEVER. Yes the scheme IMO sucks and yes Eteaki and Moore NEED more touches but let's also remember it's a young and inexperienced group of kids out there. They'll get better.

Half your offense are sophs....are they that talented? I don't follow freshman football too closely; did this class run the table in the Trinity as frosh last year?

scootermcray

Post by scootermcray » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:38 pm

The answer to your question is "no". They were pretty middle of the road. Not surprised by this year's results when you have that many underclassmen playing. Not a good sign for this year, or next year.

FallStar

Post by FallStar » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm

scootermcray wrote:The answer to your question is "no". They were pretty middle of the road. Not surprised by this year's results when you have that many underclassmen playing. Not a good sign for this year, or next year.
Middle of the road as far as talent?

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm

How does St. Paul look?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm

edac25 wrote:Let's keep in mind that this is a very young team. Most of the game last week they were playing with the following on offense:

3 Seniors (all on the O-Line)
2 Juniors
5 Sophmores
1 Freshman

I have NEVER seen such a young starting unit at Servite. NEVER. Yes the scheme IMO sucks and yes Eteaki and Moore NEED more touches but let's also remember it's a young and inexperienced group of kids out there. They'll get better.
“This is a very young team” and “they’ll get better” are the mantras chanted by the supporters of all top programs when they are having a down year. Hell, we did it all last year. The mistake is in automatically believing that, even if true, getting better will allow Servite (or any other school in a similar situation) to leapfrog its league rivals the following year.

Servite is not the only young team in the Trinity League. Those who have watched Mater Dei know that the Monarchs substitute two to four players on every play depending on down and distance. Therefore, Mater Dei really has 28 starters instead of 22. Of those 28, 12 are juniors and five are sophomores, and those juniors and sophomores come from better JV and freshman teams than Servite had last year. St. John Bosco played a large number of sophomores who made significant contributions last season, and they will be back as seniors in 2013. Additionally, Bosco has a sophomore starting at quarterback who may prove to be a special talent. JSerra always plays a lot of underclassmen, and I believe Orange Lutheran this year is relatively young as well. Only Santa Margarita should see a dip in talent next season as they are heavily senior-laden in 2012.

If a team’s roster contains kids that are at a disadvantage in terms of size, speed, strength or athletic ability compared to their peers on other teams, it makes sense to assume they will improve, but they aren’t necessarily going to surpass all those kids a year later.

The fact is that this Servite team is paying the price of at least six and possibly as many as ten kids who would likely have been senior starters today but who left the program after their freshman year. That’s a lot of senior leadership and stability to give up in a year of adversity. The reasons why they left are known by Servite insiders and aren’t important here. If that exodus was a one-time occurrence, then this season should be a one-time bump in the road. If it wasn’t, it won’t.

In another thread, someone asked why kids aren’t lined up five deep to get into the Servite football program. I think some of the answers are self-evident:

1. Servite is an all-boys school. That’s a negative factor in the eyes of at least some kids who are at the age when they want to be around girls as much as possible.

2. Servite’s tuition of $11,950 Catholic and $12,700 non-Catholic, which for years was below that of Mater Dei and Santa Margarita, has now surpassed them. Add in another $1,900 in miscellaneous fees and the school has placed itself at a price disadvantage against its rivals, not to mention the many public schools that offer a free alternative.

3. The appearance of instability caused by the high turnover rate among assistant and lower-level football coaches in the program. Even if all the changes were for the right reasons, parents who are sitting on the fence in making their final decision about which school their son will attend usually will not view that kind of turnover as enticing.

4. The continuing uncertainty about Coach Thomas remaining as the head coach. The fact that he signs only one-year contracts, the rumors that he has one foot in Anaheim and the other in Utah, the rumors that Mrs. Thomas strongly wants the family to move, the rumors that he will leave as soon as the right opportunity in that state comes along, all probably combine to make more fence-sitters choose other options.

I suspect the era of Trinity League dynasties is probably over, and we will see more one- and two-year runs at the top by several schools before they come back to the pack and another school assumes the top spot. And that’s the way it should be.

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:25 pm

THETRUTH wrote:
You think, but, you do not know and yet you comment that the head coach of a team made those comments, pretty low class Patty, not your "MO" in most cases.

I am not sure how saying next year will be better has anything to do with giving up, but, I do not see where playing youger kids means anything besides playing youger kids either. What makes a team better is working hard.
Truth, I was totally just kidding. I have a great deal of respect for Servite and thought it would be fun to poke some fun at some of the things Servite supporters love to say each year.

I actually made a pretty genuine post in another topic regarding Servite wishing them well this year.

:thumbsup:
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

observer

Post by observer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Nice post MDDAD - While I do believe this is a "gap year" for Servite, your other points are very valid. The vast majority of student who choose Servite, do so because of the unique experience it provides. Sports, for most, but not all, is a secondary concern. This is somewhat shown by the relatively poor performance of their freshman sports - they're not really comprised of strong athletes. It's not until they are coached and trained where they have some level of success.
[hr]Republicans are concerned more about health of the goose while Democrats are concerned about the distribution of its golden eggs
[hr]Simple Voter Guide
If it increases taxes, vote against it; If unions are against it, vote for it

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:04 pm

pattywannamack wrote:
Truth, I was totally just kidding. I have a great deal of respect for Servite and thought it would be fun to poke some fun at some of the things Servite supporters love to say each year.

I actually made a pretty genuine post in another topic regarding Servite wishing them well this year.

:thumbsup:
I have no respect for any Servite supporters outside of about 2.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 pm

If Servite loses to St. Paul, it will be a sad day in Friarville.... but if Servite puts up a another goose egg on the scoreboard you are going to see Frair Faithful calling for someone's head.....

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:13 pm

FriarJoe wrote:If Servite loses to St. Paul, it will be a sad day in Friarville.... but if Servite puts up a another goose egg on the scoreboard you are going to see Frair Faithful calling for someone's head.....
Get the chopping block ready.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Notorious wrote: I have no respect for any Servite supporters outside of about 2.
2's a start!

LMNOP

Post by LMNOP » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:17 pm

GHOGH wrote:How does St. Paul look?
Well it could use a fresh coat of paint, most of the school is in pretty good shape.....