No. 7 Mater Dei vs. No. 2 Narbonne

UHWarrior

No. 7 Mater Dei vs. No. 2 Narbonne

Post by UHWarrior » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:59 pm

This is the state game of the week. Both programs are playing outstanding football, both are undefeated with tough schedules. The Gauchos are ranked no. 5 nationally according to MAX PREPS and the Monarchs are no. 35. I saw both teams at the Edison "Battle at the Beach" passing tournament. Although passing tournaments don't really tell how the "team" will do when season comes, it gives you a chance to analyze the skill players at different schools. Both NHS and MD have great skill guys. I was impressed with the Gauchos, I thought they played well, but their coaches were really on them to play better.

This game should be a barn burner, but defense will win this. Narbonne's non-league schedule has been tougher than MD's and the Gauchos have been blowing everyone out. But I think MD is better than the other teams NHS have played so far. I like MD, coach Rollins has been known to get his team to play big in the spot light.

I think if MD uses a Nickle Defense with a blitzing linebacker on every passing down, Narbonne's QB will have to hurry. Don't let him establish a rythmn. Slam the door on the corners, don't let Narbonne's RB's go up the sidelines. Force the Gauchos RB's to get "worked over" by MD's linebacking corp on the inside. MD's linebackers are good and fast. Attack, Attack, Attack!

We'll see just how good L.A.'s City Section football is. I'm picking the Monarchs in an upset.

MD 28 - NHS 24

pattywannamack

Re: No. 7 Mater Dei vs. No. 2 Narbonne

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 pm

I like your analysis and am pulling for MD for the win as well.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

MDGuy

Post by MDGuy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 am

pattywannamack wrote:I like your analysis and am pulling for MD for the win as well.
My neighbor is a teacher at Narbonne and she mentioned there seems be an emotional letdown from the Gardena Serra game. The team was looking forward to playing against kids they grew up with and that made last week exciting. The campus isn't as electric as last week in her opinion. Let's hope is stays that way!

MD can win if they stay disciplined, play their game and avoid penalties. It will be close IMHO.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am

Narboone is crazy good...I'm pulling for my Monarchs...But those Gauchos will make it damn near impossible...We need a perfect game to win...Let's Roll Monarchs!!!
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:08 am

Ramon wrote:Narboone is crazy good...I'm pulling for my Monarchs...But those Gauchos will make it damn near impossible...We need a perfect game to win...Let's Roll Monarchs!!!
They looked ridiculously good against Serra last week. This should be a great game.

outsider70

Post by outsider70 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:04 am

Narbornne 34 MD 17. They are just too fast for the Monarchs. Look at what they did to Poly a few weeks ago.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:27 am

Narbonne 56 MD 0.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

AndUR??

Post by AndUR?? » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:45 am

Anyone know if this game will be on TV or on-line??
Your are one opinion away from being replaced.

fttank

Post by fttank » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 am

AndUR?? wrote:Anyone know if this game will be on TV or on-line??
Time Warner

templar83

Post by templar83 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Notorious wrote:Narbonne 56 MD 0.
Very good city team at their home field. Your margin of victory may be understated.

OC Sports

Post by OC Sports » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm

This Narbonne team is experience (many senior starters), physical and athletic. They also play a very up tempo style. In order to win this game MD would have to out scheme Narbonne. I don't think this is possible as there are so many soph and jr starters.

I have said before that MD has the athletes back but they are still young athletes. Narbonne by 12 points.

It will be a good game. Perhaps if they played at the end of the season it would be even better.

2cents

Post by 2cents » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 pm

MD had a reality last week against Edison. Based on the hype they should have destroyed the Chargers. The real difference was in the line play of Edison. They always have solid OLs & DLs. The Monarchs got roughed up at times in the trenches. That's what made it close.

Narbonne is in a league of its own this year. This is going to big a big punch in the mouth for MD right before league. Hopefully, they can keep it respectable and not have the big injuries that can come in the tough games. With so many 2 way players this year, they can't afford to lose anybody.

Does anyone know how good Narbonne's defense is? You usually hear about their offensive weapons. If MD didn't score in the 2nd half against Edison (not the 1st time), will they get goose-egged by Narbonne? (I mean the Gauchos 1st team unit)

OC Sports

Post by OC Sports » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm

MD did not get rough up in the trenches vs Edison. I thought that the lines were comparable. Edison only had 46 yards of total rushing offense. The week before Edison had two 100 yard rushers vs Service. Most of Edison's yards came on screen plays because MD was getting pressure on the QB. It was a nice adjustment by Coach White.

Narbonne's defense is tough this year. If anyone has seen these two teams play this year there is no way you would pick MD in this game.

scootermcray

Post by scootermcray » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm

I have watched several Narbonne games, and it was not like they were invincible. The trick will be scheming against the zone read. Keep them between the tackle, or they will beat you with speed. I imagine MD will focus their offense between the tackles with double TE formations to control the clock and the pace of the game. It promises to be a great game to watch. Maxpreps is picking it as one of their top 10 national games this weekend.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/p8x7hVYpQE ... l-game.htm

Haroof

Post by Haroof » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Having watched both teams play I'd have to go with Narbonne by 10.

I can't see it being a blowout.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:07 pm

I am pulling for MD but Guachos have to much speed and power, I think more than 10...

Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm not worried about the MD defense as I am about the offense. I'm more concerned about the offense being able to move the ball with consistency. Trying to play conservative can bite you in the behind, I hope they can mix it up have a short controlled passing game, and formation them to death.. Narbonne is good,but they're aren't as dominant as everyone has perceived them to be. The teams they have played with the exception of Serra has been suspect. Lakewood was horrible, Serra contained the offense as Narbonne scored two offensive TDs, one defensive ret for a score. They have 5 guys who can score at any given time, #11 AJ Richardson is the guy, he is elusive, strong and doesn't look blazing fast but he runs by defenders with easy. RBs #5 Tony Gates, #6 Johnell Jackson are very quick, WRs #16 Jontae Roberson, #8 Greg Clark can move... Troy Williams hasn't dominated his position the way I thought he would, or as much as Stanton has this year, but Williams seems to be a passer first runner second, but when he does run he's made the most out of his carries.. Getting to him will be interesting, he gets rid of the ball quick, doesn't hold on to it long.. On defense watch linebackers #2 Marquis Lomax #1 are the heart are soul of the defense and the corners and safeties come up quick, yet the corners are small, but physical. I don't think they have been tested against a true passing team, so will see. The Monarchs can't make mistakes - they will pay the price. I see a close game going either way. The MD offense has to come to play and needs to help the defense. Last Week they were on the field way too long.

edac25

Post by edac25 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 am

IMO the first REAL test for this Mater Dei Football team. The first 3 games on the Monarchs schedule this year were an absolute joke against horrible football teams. They might as well have scheduled to play against their own JV team. A close game against what I consider an extremely mediocre Edison team does not bode well for MD. Narbonne seems to be the real deal. A victory or a close defeat vs the Gauchos would IMO bring credibility to Rollo's squad. We shall see...wish I were there tonight to watch this one live. Let's go Narbonne!

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:24 am

edac25 wrote:IMO the first REAL test for this Mater Dei Football team. The first 3 games on the Monarchs schedule this year were an absolute joke against horrible football teams. They might as well have scheduled to play against their own JV team. A close game against what I consider an extremely mediocre Edison team does not bode well for MD. Narbonne seems to be the real deal. A victory or a close defeat vs the Gauchos would IMO bring credibility to Rollo's squad. We shall see...wish I were there tonight to watch this one live. Let's go Narbonne!
Same mediocre Edison team that shut out Servite? :shrug:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

kingspeed

Post by kingspeed » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 am

Narbonne is a very good team this year and has the athletes. Several played as soph's and took some lumps but the coach new he was building to this year. Likely why they chose to play some the perennial powers this year.
However as big as their victories have been all the teams they have beaten, sans Serra have losing records.

Palo Verde 1-3
Poly 2-3 (their wins against a no win Carson and Compton who is mediocre at best)
Lakewood 2-2 (forget the forfeit SJB blew them off the field)
The Moore league is not good this year at all and with Poly way down, yikes!
Serra of course is 4-1 but except for some timely defensive scoring would or could have been a loss for Narbonne

MD opponents also similar but margin of victory not as great as Narbonne's.

Edge here has to go to Narbonne but not sure it is as great as it would appear in paper.

If MD defense will be the key and I believe their scheme will likely have them in the right position to stop or slow down the Narbonne offense. MD has its best overall team speed in many years and can likely do a good job of forcing it inside. If Narbonne can put pressure on the QB and slow the run they can shut down MD's offense.

Edge here is about even but likely in Narbonne's favor.

Where MD may be set up best is that Narbonne had a big game last week with Serra and back to back getting teams with coaching discipline and talent will be a hard nut to crack. If Narbonne takes this task they will run through the city and likley be the state bowl representative.

Of course I am pulling for MD but this will be a good game.
"Get In The Mix"