Trinity League Play 10/12

scootermcray

Trinity League Play 10/12

Post by scootermcray »

This game will have major implications on who wins Trinity this year, and yet it is difficult to determine a favorite. Prior to Stanton going done, SM would have been a heavy favorite in this game. Last night's game against Servite did not provide much insight into how much weaker SM is without Stanton.

Mater Dei played a strong game against a very weak JSerra. Using the Narbonne game as an indicator, they have talent and depth, just a matter of the team playing up against a weakened SM.

Santa Margarita vs. Mater Dei at Saddleback College (Mission Viejo, CA), 7:30pm

On the rest of the Trinity League play this week, Bosco should run over JSerra without issue. Bosco looked good (not great) against OLu last night, and continues to remain in the hunt for 1st through 3rd. We will know better where they sit after the SM vs MD game.

JSerra at St. John Bosco 7:30pm

Servite vs OLu will be an interesting game as OLu did not look very good last night against Bosco and Servite struggled against SM. Currently these two teams are battling for 4th and 5th place.

Lutheran vs. Servite at Orange Coast College (Costa Mesa, CA), 7:30pm
Notorious

Re: Trinity League Play 10/12

Post by Notorious »

I think people are underestimating how well Orange Lutheran looked, for a large part of the game it was a one score game.

I think Bosco was slightly overrated and OLU slightly underrated. The QB for OLU showed a lot in that game that he can do pretty well with the limited pass attempts he had to use.

Also I don't think SM would have been a heavy favorite against MD even with Stanton.

MD beat them last year and MD is also better than last year. I think SM would have been the favorite but only by a TD.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

I don't think Bosco is overrated at all, especially if we're referring to rankings.

They're right where they should be in most local polls.

I think OLU is going to have serious problems scoring in this league.
longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver »

What happened to ALL the Bosco supporters....not a good crowd for an undefeated highly ranked team
last night!!!!!
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

Bosco never travels well. blame it on ex-head coach's kiki mendoza's record of 0-100 while playing in orange county.
they are used to getting smacked around vs orange county teams. last year was the first time bosco ever beat orange lutheran (EVER).
the record vs mater dei in the past 20 years is MD 18 Bosco 2. I dont think Bosco has ever beaten MD at the SA bowl!!!

plus many of the bosco people come from carson, south bay, la area and that is never a fun drive on a friday night.
Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum »

I'm not sure who's watching what...but here it is.\;

1) Winner of Sm vs MD will b heavy favorite to win league
2) If SM wins...MD places 2nd
3) If MD wins...Bosco will place 2nd
4) 3rd...determined from above
4) OLU
5) between Servite & JSerra...loser is
6) here
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

Three way tie for first. Imagine a 9-1 3rd place team (coin flip) in Santa Margarita having to play another league champ.

Final Standing will be
1. bosco 4-1 fall to MD
1. sm 4-1 fall to bosco
1. mater dei 4-1 fall to SM
* sm vs md is at sm (advantage sm)
* sm vs bosco is at bosco (advantage bosco)
*md vs bosco is at md (advantage md)
4. orange lu (offense will give servite, jserra problems)
5. servite (will get shutout once more during league)
6. jserra (wont even have a close game this year)
TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB »

I actually came away from the Olu game more impressed with Bosco.

They are young, and they still have a lot of kinks to workout, but considering they were coming off an out of state trip, a short week to prepare for the triple option, and did not play exceptionally well in the first half...they played ok.

I agree with most, they are not great at this point, but for a young team they have overcome adversity a couple week in a row and come out on top.

I was more surprised with how not athletic Olu was and they lacked any explosive players. On a few plays it seems like they had room and Bosco pursuit would just swollow them up.

I think the biggest challenge from here will be the away game at MD. Bosco has played terrible there for a long time and it would be big to get a win there.
BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave »

Bosco beat Mater dei at SA bowl in either '02 or '03 for the league title.
TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB »

They were a much better team that year and won on a missed PAT by Mater Dei.

Two years ago they were in position to go ahead when the center snapped the ball over Medina's head and Mater Dei recovered.

The Bowl is a tough place to play for anyone, and Mater Dei is a better all around team this year than last year.

Don't be surprised if they beat Margarita.
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

TrinityLFB wrote:They were a much better team that year and won on a missed PAT by Mater Dei.

Two years ago they were in position to go ahead when the center snapped the ball over Medina's head and Mater Dei recovered.

The Bowl is a tough place to play for anyone, and Mater Dei is a better all around team this year than last year.

I still think about that high snap lol.

That was a very good game.
scootermcray

Post by scootermcray »

How Calpreps is projecting this week's Trinity match ups. Two of the three games are battles, while SJB gets to take the week off.

Mater Dei vs. Santa Margarita [projection: Santa Margarita 22-21]

Servite vs. Lutheran [projection: Servite 17-14]

JSerra at St. John Bosco [projection: St. John Bosco 46-10]
luvthegame

Post by luvthegame »

Did anyone notice how poorly Servite traveled last week? The fans that were there were vocal and supportive but it was a far cry from just last year.

LTG
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

TrinityLFB wrote:They were a much better team that year and won on a missed PAT by Mater Dei.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if MD beats SM. With Stanton SM wins by 3 touchdowns with an inexperienced sophomore running the offense I believe MD is the favorite.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

It was a light Bosco crowd for the OLU game because wasn't the game on TV? Why travel when you can
have a beer and watch it on TV.

I think the MD/SM game will be on TV also this Friday, fyi
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

luvthegame wrote:Did anyone notice how poorly Servite traveled last week? The fans that were there were vocal and supportive but it was a far cry from just last year.

LTG
Because that stadium sucks and we were told the game was sold out
Red

Post by Red »

BuckW wrote:
I don't think anyone would be surprised if MD beats SM. With Stanton SM wins by 3 touchdowns with an inexperienced sophomore running the offense I believe MD is the favorite.
Sorry Buck. Even though it was last year, there were SM parents chomping at the bit last year before the SM/MD game. Couldn't wait for the Eagles to throttle to Monarchs. Heck, one of them called me and suggested I stay home to avoid being embarrassed. The game is played on the field and not on this site.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.
ringer

Post by ringer »

BoscoBandWagon wrote:Three way tie for first. Imagine a 9-1 3rd place team (coin flip) in Santa Margarita having to play another league champ.

Final Standing will be
1. bosco 4-1 fall to MD
1. sm 4-1 fall to bosco
1. mater dei 4-1 fall to SM
* sm vs md is at sm (advantage sm)
* sm vs bosco is at bosco (advantage bosco)
*md vs bosco is at md (advantage md)
4. orange lu (offense will give servite, jserra problems)
5. servite (will get shutout once more during league)
6. jserra (wont even have a close game this year)
Maybe. I think it will be:

1. SM
2. MD
3. Bosco
4. OLU
5. Servite
6. Junipero Serra
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Red wrote: ly
Sorry Buck. Even though it was last year, there were SM parents chomping at the bit last year before the SM/MD game. Couldn't wait for the Eagles to throttle to Monarchs. Heck, one of them called me and suggested I stay home to avoid being embarrassed. The game is played on the field and not on this site.
At that point in the season last year Stanton had 5 starts under his belt. He was an outstanding runner and a developing passer. This season he had over 20 starts and had developed into an excellent passer. If MD attempted to stack the box against him he would have picked MD's defense apart. It's just sad that high school football fans won't be able to see this special player anymore this season.
Red

Post by Red »

BuckW wrote:
At that point in the season last year Stanton had 5 starts under his belt. He was an outstanding runner and a developing passer. This season he had over 20 starts and had developed into an excellent passer. If MD attempted to stack the box against him he would have picked MD's defense apart. It's just sad that high school football fans won't be able to see this special player anymore this season.
He would have......now that's funny. He had his chance during passing league and got throttled. The Monarch defense is much quicker, and faster than last season. We're you one of the parents in the crowd at the Air Strike? Again, they couldn't wait to watch the Eagles beat the Monarchs. Stanton is a great athlete, however there other special players to watch this season.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.