Trinity League Play 10/12

MDDad

Re: Trinity League Play 10/12

Post by MDDad »

SoMelo wrote: Because that stadium sucks and we were told the game was sold out
I don't think that's the entire reason, SoMelo. The relatively small visitor stands at Colony weren't filled for the Rancho Cucamonga game, and the home stands at Cerritos for the Edison game were less than 3/4 full. The Servite attendance is not what it was the past three or four years.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Safe to say it is wide open. Does anyone know the status the center for Bosco?
BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave »

He's fine. A tough kid.
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

SoMelo wrote: Because that stadium sucks and we were told the game was sold out
Servite fans are a bunch of front runners. If you win they jump on the bandwagon but as soon as you have a bad season they are gone. Look at the attendance at their away basketball games it's a disgrace.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

Red wrote:
He would have......now that's funny. He had his chance during passing league and got throttled. The Monarch defense is much quicker, and faster than last season. We're you one of the parents in the crowd at the Air Strike? Again, they couldn't wait to watch the Eagles beat the Monarchs. Stanton is a great athlete, however there other special players to watch this season.
Damn, Red, are you talking Passing League trash?
UHWarrior

Post by UHWarrior »

This game will be close both teams have excellent players on both sides of the ball. However, Stanton was difference maker, without him MD is better. MD had there chances to beat no. 2 Narbonne and should have. I don't think the Eagles have the speed of the Gauchos, but they much more physical, especially with that massive O-line. With Stanton the Eagles would have put up more than 21 points against an average Servite D. MD defense is alot better than the Friars D.

It's going to be close but I'm guessing MD has a chip on their shoulders and want to prove that they are the team to beat in the Trinity league. SM on the other hand is still trying to adjust their offense without Stanton.

MD 28 - SM 14
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

MD has close loss to Narbonne who turns around and almost looses to Carson, MD beat Edison by 6 who beat Servite by 6. SM beats Servite by 21 so on paper SM should win...

SM by 7
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Playthegame wrote:MD has close loss to Narbonne who turns around and almost looses to Carson, MD beat Edison by 6 who beat Servite by 6. SM beats Servite by 21 so on paper SM should win...

SM by 7
I'm thinking it's going to be even closer...I like MD's chances...An amazing game to be sure :thumbsup:

GO MONARCHS!!!
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

I hope you guys tie and both teams are declared losers.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
scootermcray

Post by scootermcray »

This game will be all about defense. MD wins if they can stop Wolpin (SM only achieved half of their average yards during the Servite game) and they make Sweet throw. SM wins if they can shut down Duarte and MD is unable to establish the running game.
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

The trinity league is awesome. I don't care who wins this one frankly between SM and MD..but one thing is for sure....it will be a more exciting game than OLu's 2-0 victory over my Friars....(sobs).
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

FriarJoe wrote:The trinity league is awesome. I don't care who wins this one frankly between SM and MD..but one thing is for sure....it will be a more exciting game than OLu's 2-0 victory over my Friars....(sobs).
If anything Orange Lutheran will lose 2-0, they have a history of doing it and it wasn't so bad.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
edac25

Post by edac25 »

MD will win this one by 10 and it will be that close because SM's defense is one tough unit. Without Stanton, the SM offense is VERY one-dimensional and frankly a shell of it's former self. Sweet is a heck of an athlete but at this point in his young career simply isn't a factor. MD will load the box and SM will have very answers offensively. MD won't score many points on a very good Eagle D but will score just enough.

Really amazing what the loss of one player can do to a football team. With Stanton, SM is the hands down favorite. Without him they are an average offensive football team in this league/division.

Servite v OLU - Lancers best chance EVER to finally beat the Friars. Servite does not lose to Lutherans. It won't happen Friday night either. The Streak lives on.

Bosco will DESTROY JSerra
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

SM 21 MD 17 - I think the Eagles will limit Duarte's impact and win a pretty close game.

OLU 14 Servite 7 - I can see this game being even lower scoring but I think OLU wins regardless.
TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB »

I think Mater Dei wins this one.

Last year Mater Dei was able to do what almost nobody else could, keep Stanton from beating them.

They pressured him and kept him from turning little draw plays into back breaking drives.

This year, clearly he won't be a problem for them.

Mater Dei will shut down the run and, as usual, create some unique blitz packages to force a young QB into making mistakes.

Olu wins if they keep the offense creative. Their defense is good enough to shut down Servite and their QB can make plays. If their OC opens it up and relies more on misdirection instead of the straight dive option, they will win. Their Oline does not get off the ball fast enough for the dive option to really work right now. They are more big than quick.

Bosco, against JSerra, at home.....sorry JSerra.
scootermcray

Post by scootermcray »

Does anyone know who is going to be the starting quarterback at SM this week? I cannot imagine they would throw Sweet into the fire against the MD defense, but he might be their best hope.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

I'm reading a lot in this thread about what everything thinks MD's D will be able to do against SM's O but what exactly is MD's O going to do against SM's D?

On one hand I'm with Steve Friar on this one. I think that if MD can force a bunch of easy turnovers, (they won't commit any naturally), kick a couple of 60-yard field goals, maybe a 70-yard punt or two to pin the Eagles deep, and show some trademark Monarch pride that should be good enough for the win. It really doesn't matter if SM is at home, has revenge on their mind, and has seven FBS recruits, they don't have Monarch pride which is worth at least, what, 14 points?

On the other hand, I'm thinking this is going to be like 2002 where the turnover bug hit MD and SM used ball control to post a 19-0 shutout in the rain. I'm not saying it will be a shutout, just part of me says take SM and lay the points at home.

Decisions, decisions.

Should be fun though.
Luca

Post by Luca »

As regards the Santa Margarita- Mater Dei game, a few weeks ago I wouldn't even have been very concerned. The SM offense was extremely efficient and the defense was surprisingly good. Without Stanton, Santa Margarita is the underdog in this game. I assume that they are going to go with Kyle Sweet, who is a converted sophomore wide receiver. This brings the additional disadvantage of losing your number two receiver.

He was considered to be the quarterback of the future – as in one or two years from now – but he hasn't played the position for a year and he stepping in at midseason when everyone else is reaching peak form.

I don't believe Mater Dei will do anything different from last year when they saw the weakness (without Cracraft) in the then inexperienced Santa Margarita offense.. They blitzed, slanted, accentuated the run defense and basically disrupted what SM was trying to do. I thought they did a great job defensively. Still, Mater Dei actually won the game because they executed the fourth quarter 80 yard drive.

I don't see how you can put a converted sophomore into an offense at midseason and expect them to score a lot of points. As strong as Santa Margarita's offensive line is, the running game efficiency is predicated on the fact that you have to make the defense respect that it's basically a spread offense. If the defense doesn't feel the need to backpedal, those five offensive linemen are outnumbered even if they perform flawlessly.

For SM to win, they have to get a very strong defensive effort and they have to have effective performances from Sweet, Connor O'Brien and Cracraft (who I think will be going both ways – he's a really good corner) as well as, interestingly, Dane Crane the center.

I don't see a lot of points being scored and in a game like that turnovers are crucial. With an inexperienced QB the turnovers are more likely to be from Santa Margarita.

As an aside, I would not be very surprised if El Toro takes Tesoro, either. This is a much bigger game for El Toro that it is Tesoro and even though the Chargers tend to give up points, I don't think Tesoro has seen an aerial blizzard like they will see tonight. If El Toro takes an early lead and gets confidence I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them take this game............................Luca
Last edited by Luca on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Go Eagles!
Go Lions!
Go Friars!
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
Skipalot

Post by Skipalot »

luvthegame wrote:Did anyone notice how poorly Servite traveled last week? The fans that were there were vocal and supportive but it was a far cry from just last year.

LTG
I asked the same and found it was due to Rosary having a different event that took away students which sometimes takes away the parent. Thus, a smaller crowd. Also, tix were sold out.