Tribute to the Register coverage

Luca

Tribute to the Register coverage

Post by Luca »

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else around here, so before this season is over allow me to be the first (I think):

The Orange County Register is to be credited for the best high school sports coverage I have seen anywhere. If any of you have seen the multipage spreads on Saturday morning or the reviews on Tuesday you know exactly what I mean.

Steve Fryer, Carlos Arias, Damian Calhoun, Jason Eichelberger, the photography, the videos, the continual Friday night updates ......... it has all been extraordinary coverage and I'm left to wonder how the hell these people can be everywhere on Friday nights.

You don't see anything close to this from the LA Times, or the San Diego or Riverside papers to my knowledge. Newspapers are getting squeezed by Internet competition these days but I hope they can keep it up both for the benefit of us fans and the benefit of the kids who get to see that their efforts are recognized.

HUUWWWAAAH, gentlemen...........Luca
Notorious

Re: Tribute to the Register coverage

Post by Notorious »

I prefer substance over style so I wholeheartedly disagree.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
Bick

Post by Bick »

Notorious wrote:I prefer substance over style so I wholeheartedly disagree.
I'm with Luca on this.

Who is better than the OCV guys...style OR substance?
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Just because the competition is nonexistent doesn't make it good.

It's like saying Twilight Breaking Down 2 is the best Twilight movie doesn't mean it isn't garbage.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
Bick

Post by Bick »

Notorious wrote:Just because the competition is nonexistent doesn't make it good.

It's like saying Twilight Breaking Down 2 is the best Twilight movie doesn't mean it isn't garbage.
Now that's pretty funny
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

I agree with Luca. The OC Register has BY FAR the best high school sports coverage in So Cal. Not even a close second! For those that don't like it is it because you feel your favorite school gets slighted or your greatest nemesis gets to much coverage? Bottom line is that they print what sells best. Just like everything else in the real world. For those that don't like it, don't read it. Read another paper that you think is better.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Notorious wrote:Just because the competition is nonexistent doesn't make it good.

Ignorant statement…
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

…everyone knows the first Twilight was the best of the series.
WalkingE

Post by WalkingE »

OC Register is great for covering HS sports, but the Gazette Sports team is equally great at covering Long Beach sports.
Hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband!
fttank

Post by fttank »

I agree that the Register does a great job, but they could do better. Especially this time of year it would be nice to see scores of the non-OC games.

Fttank
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

The SGV team of Aram Tolegian, Fred Robledo & Steve Ramirez do a damn good job of covering their area. I'd easily put them on par with the OCR guys.

These guys have live streaming shows on Tuesdays, a live chat on Friday nights during games & a post game show after the last SGV games have ended.

They do constant blogging during the week (as do the OCR guys) as well.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Didn't the Reg just recently change owners? Maybe that has something to do with it.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Have to mention Dan Albano, Adam Maya,also Brian Whitehead and all the other field reportesr great job all. No body does the total package with word and pictures like OCV. These guys are the best in print, the bests action sports photography BAR NONE!
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Three comments.

first I think the quality and depth or reporting by the OCR is the best in southern California. The LA Times, despite it's readership coverage of 600+ schools leaves me wanting. Big time.

Second, in terms of volume of non-print product the SGV Tribune blows the doors off the OCR. They have hour(s) long video previews and analysis compared to the 6 minutes the OCR produces every Wednesday. In this aspect it isn't close.

Lastly, one other edge I'd give the SGV Tribune, and it's not as much the SGVT but the readership, is the quality of poster. The readership's posts, questions and armchair analysis is above the typical hum you see in the occonnect.com, .rivalss.com or comment board on OCVarsity.com. It is, regularly, more insightful, clever, historically accurate, snarky and more poignant that the typical post by us OC fans.

Just my two cents.
Last edited by Mr. Grady on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HSFBFANMAN

Post by HSFBFANMAN »

My hats off to the OCR and SGVN guys both do a very fine job. Keep it up!
Haroof

Post by Haroof »

Mr. Grady wrote:Three comments.

first I think the quality and depth or reporting by the OCR is the best in southern California. The LA Times, despite it's readership coverage of 600+ schools leaves me wanting. Big time.

Second, in terms of volume of non-print product the SGV Tribune blows the doors off the OCR. They have hour(s) long video previews and analysis compared to the 6 minutes the OCR produces every Wednesday. In this aspect it isn't close.

Lastly, one other edge I'd give the SGV Tribune, and it's not as much the SGVT but the readership, is the quality of poster. The readership's posts, questions and armchair analysis is above the typical hum you see in the occonnect.com, .rivalss.com or comment board on OCVarsity.com. It is, regularly, more insightful, clever, historically accurate, snarky and more poignant that the typical post by us OC fans.

Just my two cents.
Couldn't agree more.
YGD

Post by YGD »

Do not forget Jonathan Khamis voice behind the video..he's a stud too!
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Luca wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else around here, so before this season is over allow me to be the first (I think):

The Orange County Register is to be credited for the best high school sports coverage I have seen anywhere. If any of you have seen the multipage spreads on Saturday morning or the reviews on Tuesday you know exactly what I mean.

Steve Fryer, Carlos Arias, Damian Calhoun, Jason Eichelberger, the photography, the videos, the continual Friday night updates ......... it has all been extraordinary coverage and I'm left to wonder how the hell these people can be everywhere on Friday nights.

You don't see anything close to this from the LA Times, or the San Diego or Riverside papers to my knowledge. Newspapers are getting squeezed by Internet competition these days but I hope they can keep it up both for the benefit of us fans and the benefit of the kids who get to see that their efforts are recognized.

HUUWWWAAAH, gentlemen...........Luca
Good, no doubt about it that the Register does a fine job and with so many schools, it is tough. Best Anywhere, no, not really. You must not get around to much. As far as coverage, you are being fooled a little bit, a lot of the coverage, stats and sport information is done by others who get zero credit.
digitaluzer

Post by digitaluzer »

I agree they do have great coverage and reporters but they are SEVERELY handicapped by that "thing" they call a website. The OCregister/OCvarsity site is absolutely atrocious and it is one of the reasons why Freedom communications went bankrupt. Those at the helm simply do not understand how to operate and develop a well designed website. Scrolling through photos to read commentary on games is ridiculous. I work at an internet company whose sole revenue is based on ad revenue and understand the importance of page views,page visits,CPM's, etc, etc. It's unfortunate the talented groups of writers and coverage is going to waste.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Well, that part's true. You have to download through 25 pictures to find out who the top 10 is, which is a pain in the butt with a smart phone. And it is hard to find things on that website.

Up to about eight years ago they had a really good message board but I think because it was a family newspaper they had to censor some of the children and a general rebellion ensued. I was even admonished once for being a racist because I used the term "injun" referring to the faux protests regarding building JSerra. That's actually why there is so much traffic on this HSFB website. It used to be over on the Register website but everybody migrated en masse over here when the regulators came down. Kind of like what happened to the political side of this site over the last several months.

That said, I was referring to the print edition and the fact that at least information is available on the websites and they do have very good video. I don't remember ever seeing anything like that on the East Coast or Northern California................Luca