CIF Championship Game: Mater Dei VS. Poly

pattywannamack

CIF Championship Game: Mater Dei VS. Poly

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 am

I know we have several topics about this, and a lot of people have already weighed in but I figured we should have a thread focusing on the actual game.

Here are my thoughts:

There's no question in my mind that Mater Dei is inspired and determined to win this game. They've been the most poised MD team that I have ever seen, and they have been playing solid football all year long. Now I have only watched the team on television against SM and in real life against Lakewood and I have not seen Poly play yet but here is my analysis.

The defense is the true heart of this team and can do a pretty good job stopping the run and causing turnovers. They seem to be pretty physical and had no problem handling lines that are supposed to be bigger and stronger than they are. The D-Line and Linebackers should be able to put some pressure on the QB, which is always a good thing. The only real concern that I have is the fact that their corners seem to blow their coverage on long bombs which could be a problem considering the speed that Poly usually has.

Offensively, MD seems to be pretty balanced between the pass and run as many have pointed out. Unless Poly plays lights out defense I think they will find a way to score a few times but I'm not necessarily expecting a high scoring game from them. I think the key to MD's success offensively is to not allow turnovers, to not commit penalties, and to simply play a chess match for field position. If Money can engineer a couple of series like the opening drive of the SM game, MD will be in great shape.

Special teams wise I hope McMahon kicks even though his hand is broken. MD's big advantage in this game will be their special teams and I would hate to see that ruined by whoever they had kicking at the Lakewood game.

In general this should be the classic match up between two football ideals, athleticism vs. technique. Having watched MD play the past few years I know that they like to schedule relatively fast and athletic city teams in the pre-season so that way the game seems to slow down for them when they enter league and things get a little more physical and technical. It will be interesting to see if MD can re-adapt to Poly's city speed and athleticism.

As a whole I'm pretty excited. I actually have never gone to an MD playoff game until this year's game against Lakewood so I'm really pleased to be able to go again three weeks later. Anyone else have any thoughts?
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

AllGasNoBrakes

Re: CIF Championship Game: Mater Dei VS. Poly

Post by AllGasNoBrakes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 am

Poly wins 14 - 7!

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Pattywannamack
If MD stops the run and I think they can, advantage MD, Poly is forced to pass and this is not their strong point. If you are referring to blown coverages on long passes (e.g. Alemany) there was no blown coverages. Alemany's Qb put the ball exactly where it needed to be. He had a perfect game. Poly's D is a whole other story it could be scary. Penalties, turnovers are probably going to be the key. Too close to call.

Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Poly is one dimensional and the MD defense is excellent...the front 7 will be (by far) the best that Poly has seen. MD defense will be the difference here, and they have just enough on offense to keep Poly guessing. The final straw for Poly will be the kicking game...they have none, which will result in good field position for MD all night.

Including some late scores...MD 35 Poly 13

big_Al

Post by big_Al » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:45 pm

All the haters must have sold their computers. Mater Dei will win by one point. Or Long Beach Poly will lose by one point. It just depends on how you look at it.
Living life on lifes terms since 1996

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:58 pm

watchersince68 wrote:Pattywannamack
If MD stops the run and I think they can, advantage MD, Poly is forced to pass and this is not their strong point. If you are referring to blown coverages on long passes (e.g. Alemany) there was no blown coverages. Alemany's Qb put the ball exactly where it needed to be. He had a perfect game. Poly's D is a whole other story it could be scary. Penalties, turnovers are probably going to be the key. Too close to call.
I was actually referring to some pretty bad coverage against SM. Most notably a huge 4th and 20 bomb that lead to a touchdown that kept SM in the game. I think there were also a few big passes by Lakewood that shouldn't have happened.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:48 pm

big_Al wrote:All the haters must have sold their computers. Mater Dei will win by one point. Or Long Beach Poly will lose by one point. It just depends on how you look at it.
I look at it...with a beer in hand in front of the TV at home. haha

Good luck to both schools
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Poly will dominate both sides of the line and still find a way to lose. MD 21-13 (Poly misses PAT).

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Poly 33 MD 14.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Poly 2 MD 0 Dejavu...Noto

I have not seen MD in person just TV but to quote a famous Syth Lord to MD fans " you don't know the power of the Dark Side of the Force"

Poly stopped a couple of high scoring offenses in consecutive games I would be surprised if MD gains more than 75 yards on the ground and unless you get light speed open fast your quarter back will be throwin picks for six. I would be surprised if Poly scores more than three TD's and MD 1
MD seems to have figured out where every body is most productive and has the dudes so Smash!

I will be there in the rain to see if MD can rise up.

I would love to see MD win it for old time sake and playing hard and comming close all these past years and after last season it would be a great Cinderfella story. I am anxious to see if Poly prays before the game on the field like they did at the MV game. I think Poly wins in a low scoring affair.

Good luck to both teams and break legs...

frankieboy1

Post by frankieboy1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:02 pm

rvoltes5 wrote:
I look at it...with a beer in hand in front of the TV at home. haha

Good luck to both schools
My local cigar shop in RSM will have Mater Dei/Poly on one TV, Narbonne/Crenshaw on the other

TWC Sportsnet will have the LA City final

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Mater Dei needs to win this one. If Poly wins, it will be a bad sign for HS football since it will show that a team can win games with just a bunch of athletes, very little coaching and god awful special teams. An MD win will be a win for all the scrappy teams out there that play disciplined solid football and don't rely on having a sick bunch of athletes.

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm

I think that may be oversimplifying.. I don't think Poly is just a bunch of athletes or that Mater Dei is entirely "scrappy."

I think it's safe to say that Poly is the more athletic team. Athletes are pretty critical to defensive performance and that's why Poly has such a strong defense. That's their strength and that's why they emphasize individual athletic plays, as opposed to 12 play, 70 yard drives, ball control and the kicking game. They build their game plan around what they can do best, which is a big individual plays both offensively and defensively.

If Mater Dei had those kind of athletes they would probably adopt some of the Poly approach themselves. I don't think that a Poly win would indicate anything unusual. It's not unusual for a team with superior athletes to beat a team that relies more on fundamentals.

If the better coached team always won we'd see the same teams in the Super Bowl every year..........Luca

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:49 pm

We do for the AFC, we've only had 3 different AFC champions in the last 9 years Luca.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

scootermcray

Post by scootermcray » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm

You have to give Fryer credit for trying to predict the Pac5 Championship --- even though he got it completely wrong. That is why they play the game!

Pac-5 Division
First round: St. Bonaventure of Ventura over Cabrillo of Long Beach; Santa Margarita over El Toro; Alemany of Mission Hills over Moorpark; Mater Dei over Lakewood; St. John Bosco of Bellflower over Tesoro; Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks over Oaks Christian of Westlake Village; Bishop Amat of La Puente over Long Beach Poly; Mission Viejo over Westlake.
Second round: St. Bonaventure over Santa Margarita; Mater Dei over Alemany; St. John Bosco over Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks; Mission Viejo over Bishop Amat.
Semifinals: St. Bonaventure over Mater Dei; Mission Viejo over St. John Bosco.
Final: Mission Viejo over St. Bonaventure.

ringer

Post by ringer » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm

I think MD wins a close one.

UHWarrior

Post by UHWarrior » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Poly has been defying the odds makers the entire CIF playoffs. They have had a difficult climb in their bracket. I did not think they'd get by Bishop Amat. I thought their win against Mission Viejo, was fluke. I was shocked, that they held the high powered offense of St. John Bosco to 10 points. That was the Braves lowest scoring game of the year, by a long shot. Poly has a good team, but is their personnel that much better than the Lancers, Diablos, and Braves? Probably not. What they do have is Coach Lara. He outcoached everyone of his opponents in the playoffs. Can he outcoach Rollins? I'm betting he can. I'm picking the Jackrabbits to upset the Monarchs tonight. :)

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Poly lights thetorch on long Td toss Poly up 21-3 with 8:03 left in the half...

mdmagic32

Post by mdmagic32 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 pm

running game for md has been poor. last drive was nice with some good throws from forrest. great reception ny duarte , and then a td. 21-10 poly. coley from md going to the locker room. md kicks off out of bounds. rekick md. the kicker slipped on kick off and it only goes about 20 yards. poly returns to about the md 40. 15 seconds left in half

mdmagic32

Post by mdmagic32 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:54 pm

md intercepts a pass that was deflected off receiver . for some reason as the md kid was racing back down the field, the referee blew the whistle for no reason stopping the play. roll when interviewed said he thought "the game may of been too big" for the referee who blew that call. classic