Classy Mater Dei, Very Classy

Lionhunter

Classy Mater Dei, Very Classy

Post by Lionhunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Mater Dei Basketball has sunk to a new low. Playing against a true high school basketball team, MD chose to run up 137 points on them. 137-26. That's right...a 111 point margin of victory.

McKnight's Monarchs pressed the entire game.

Yep, this is Mater Dei's idea oh what high school basketball is all about.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsity ... oints.html
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

regularbob

Re: Classy Mater Dei, Very Classy

Post by regularbob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm

All the kids on this team with the exception of Elijah Brown have been enrolled at MD since their freshman year. Your "All Star" transfer argument is invalid. Let me help you out with some names for future reference..
Strawberry - Been at MD since a freshman
MJ Cage - Freshman
Jayce Johnson - Freshman
Stanley Johnson -Junior - been at MD since freshman
Elijah Brown - Transfer
Mario Soto - Been at MD since he was a freshman.
The best player on MD's team, Stanley Johnson, played only 9 minutes and had 27 points. So its not like they ran the starters the entire game, which I would think is wrong. I have no problem with pressing the entire game. You have to get the kids all the way down the bench in game shape and that is the way MD will play this year. Up tempo from end to end. If you read the article the opposing coahc had no problem with pressing. he had a problem with the timeout that McKnight called because he thought a player was injured.
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:53 pm

regularbob wrote:All the kids on this team with the exception of Elijah Brown have been enrolled at MD since their freshman year. Your "All Star" transfer argument is invalid. Let me help you out with some names for future reference..
Strawberry - Been at MD since a freshman
MJ Cage - Freshman
Jayce Johnson - Freshman
Stanley Johnson -Junior - been at MD since freshman
Elijah Brown - Transfer
Mario Soto - Been at MD since he was a freshman.
The best player on MD's team, Stanley Johnson, played only 9 minutes and had 27 points. So its not like they ran the starters the entire game, which I would think is wrong. I have no problem with pressing the entire game. You have to get the kids all the way down the bench in game shape and that is the way MD will play this year. Up tempo from end to end. If you read the article the opposing coahc had no problem with pressing. he had a problem with the timeout that McKnight called because he thought a player was injured.
First of all, I made no mention of transfers. MD now attracts players to their program right out of 8th grade (although you and I both know they still snap up said transfers when they can). Of course, we can argue forever over whether or not MD's reputation, which attracts these 8th graders, was built on transfers down through the years past. But, as I said, I didn't mention transfers.

My point involves pressing the entire game against an obviously over-matched team of local boys and running up a margin of victory like that 111 points. Yes, I read that the opposing coach said that he had no problem with that. He didn't want to appear a sore loser, but he should have had a problem with that, and so should you for that matter. Getting your players in shape, and/or shooting for higher national rankings should take a back seat to good sportsmanship. There was no excuse for humiliating the other teams boys like that, and McKnight and Mater Dei should be ashamed.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

regularbob

Post by regularbob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm

So when the end of the bench is in the game you want them to play differently??
The best player on MD played only 9 minutes. It would have been wrong if MD left him in and allowed him to go for 80. The bench played the majority of the game and MD is playing a pressing style this year. I take ZERO issue with pressing especially if your bench and not only your bench but your DEEP bench playing the vast majority of the game.
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Maybe CryinHunter wants McKnight to pull a Thomas and bench a player with a D1 ride for pride solely...While we're at it maybe we should fire an assistant coach a few games into the season...
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

AllGasNoBrakes

Post by AllGasNoBrakes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm

regularbob wrote:So when the end of the bench is in the game you want them to play differently??
The best player on MD played only 9 minutes. It would have been wrong if MD left him in and allowed him to go for 80. The bench played the majority of the game and MD is playing a pressing style this year. I take ZERO issue with pressing especially if your bench and not only your bench but your DEEP bench playing the vast majority of the game.
Yes. If the game gets out of hand, you play differently. The other team was obviously overmatched. You see it in sports all the time in all levels in all the different sports. Up tempo teams slow it down and milk the clock. Pass happy teams run dive plays into the line. Baseball players stop stealing even if they are a running team.

Haroof

Post by Haroof » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Lionhunter is always whining about something.

mar595

Post by mar595 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 pm

I attended a school of 46 students in Montana, graduating in 1976. Each year we played two schools from Butte. We had a varsity and a junior varsity. We played the JV from Butte high, and our JV played the 9th grade team from a local three year junior high.

As a Sophomore, I played JV against the 9th grade team. They had 25 players on the team. We had 23 boys in the high school. Needless to say, they beat us 114-53. They pressed the whole game and would change all five players every 4 minutes. We were flat worn out after the game, but we were not humiliated. Even at 15, I knew the game didn't mean anything. We got to work on serious press breaking and conditioned to the max. There were 8 of us on that JV team.

It is easy for one one fom the outside to look at a score like this and scream that something should have been done, but what do you do. Every player wants to play, not just in a pre-season tournament but in regular season. Each player wants to show that they can play in games, and not just in practice. For some, this may have been their only real chance to prove they can game compete in the system being run. To take that away is wrong.

The shot clock changed the game, just as the three point line did. People wanted more action in he game, so rules were changed. It increased the popularity of the game so much that the rules trickled down to high school. Without a shot lock, the score would have been less. BTW, there was no shot clock or three point line when I played or we probably would have been beaten worse.

:2cents:

LanceSterling

Post by LanceSterling » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Lionhunter wrote:Mater Dei Basketball has sunk to a new low. Playing against a true high school basketball team, MD chose to run up 137 points on them. 137-26. That's right...a 111 point margin of victory.

McKnight's Monarchs pressed the entire game.

Yep, this is Mater Dei's idea oh what high school basketball is all about.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsity ... oints.html
I'd suggest some good French cheese with the wine. :2cents:

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Is Md playing tonight, I would like to see this spectacular team.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Excellent post, mar595, and thanks for the effort. However, the reasons for scores getting out of hand were probably not the issue behind this thread. The more likely motivation is that a few regular posters have decided to target one or two schools for constant criticism. Some of it may be justified. Some of it might be because the criticized school has been a bitter sports rival for 50 years. Some of it may be because the authors have just concluded a very disappointing sports season of their own. In any case, the thread probably didn't warrant a four-paragraph explanation.

In just the last week, the JSerra girls basketball team has beaten Savanna, 82-12. They have beaten Godinez, 85-12. They have beaten Esperanza, 91-20. And the Troy girls basketball team has beaten Yorba Linda 65-8. It's probably no coincidence that no comments like the opening post in this thread from one of our favorite posters were forthcoming after those routs.

Old School

Post by Old School » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 pm

OS would have pulled the press off in the second half and shot no three's, o/w tell the kids to play hard and play the back half of the bench.

I dont get pressing the whole game? just do not get it...
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...

mar595

Post by mar595 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm

MDDad wrote:Excellent post, mar595, and thanks for the effort. However, the reasons for scores getting out of hand were probably not the issue behind this thread. The more likely motivation is that a few regular posters have decided to target one or two schools for constant criticism. Some of it may be justified. Some of it might be because the criticized school has been a bitter sports rival for 50 years. Some of it may be because the authors have just concluded a very disappointing sports season of their own. In any case, the thread probably didn't warrant a four-paragraph explanation.

In just the last week, the JSerra girls basketball team has beaten Savanna, 82-12. They have beaten Godinez, 85-12. They have beaten Esperanza, 91-20. And the Troy girls basketball team has beaten Yorba Linda 65-8. It's probably no coincidence that no comments like the opening post in this thread from one of our favorite posters were forthcoming after those routs.
Point well made. Sometimes people just look for reasons when they have an ax to grind.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Old School wrote:o/w tell the kids to play hard and play the back half of the bench.
As regularbob pointed out, Mater Dei's leading scorer played nine minutes, and their second leading scorer played little more. I don't know how many kids are on the roster, but 15 Monarch players scored in that game. I think it's safe to speculate that the back half of the bench probably played a lot more than the front half.

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:23 pm

They should have only played D in the second half. Rebound, then roll it out to half court and reset.... :D

ocfootballfan

Post by ocfootballfan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Old School wrote:OS would have pulled the press off in the second half and shot no three's, o/w tell the kids to play hard and play the back half of the bench.

I dont get pressing the whole game? just do not get it...
I don't get it either. MD's third unit is probably better than a lot of OC public schools. It just doesn't smell right.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:51 pm

MDDad wrote:Excellent post, mar595, and thanks for the effort. However, the reasons for scores getting out of hand were probably not the issue behind this thread. The more likely motivation is that a few regular posters have decided to target one or two schools for constant criticism. Some of it may be justified. Some of it might be because the criticized school has been a bitter sports rival for 50 years. Some of it may be because the authors have just concluded a very disappointing sports season of their own. In any case, the thread probably didn't warrant a four-paragraph explanation.

Some of your points are valid, but I’m curious…do you personally consider it poor sportsmanship for a high school basketball team up by 100 points to be pressing?

Thewatcher

Post by Thewatcher » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 pm

It is completely wrong to be pressing when you are up like that. I'm shocked to hear those girls scores. Has basketball considered a running clock at some point?

edac25

Post by edac25 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Why this comes as a surprise to ANYONE anymore is beyond me. This is vintage Mater Dei. There is ZERO excuse...ZERO excuse to be in a FULL COURT press when the game is that out of hand. For anyone to come on this board and defend Mcknight is as classless as that obese tub of lard himself. What I find so amusingly ironic is that MD fans will come on this board and complain about "Classless Poly Fans" a day after getting thrashed in a CIF Title Game yet have nothing to say about what now has become routine with MD Basketball. Absolutely hilarious.

AllGasNoBrakes

Post by AllGasNoBrakes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm

MDDad wrote: As regularbob pointed out, Mater Dei's leading scorer played nine minutes, and their second leading scorer played little more. I don't know how many kids are on the roster, but 15 Monarch players scored in that game. I think it's safe to speculate that the back half of the bench probably played a lot more than the front half.
People are arguing about who was playing. They are objecting to the pressing throughout a blowout game. It was highlighted in red in the original post and was its own paragraph in the news article.