Troy Thomas Resigns as Head Coach

Luca

Re: Troy Thomas Resigns as Head Coach

Post by Luca » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:16 pm

I remember years ago players used to just jog out onto the field and start warming up. Bizarre........

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Luca wrote:Schonert would be a very strong choice, but realistically after coaching in the NFL you wonder how likely it is that someone would want to take a turn at HSFB. Especially if you want to continue coaching at a high level, having a high school stint on your resume makes it look like you had fallen on hard times and were taking any job available.

Loyola was looking for a new coach a few months ago and there was talk about Greg Robinson being interested (DC for the Broncos for two super Bowls and for Texas for their national championship) and Rick Neuheisel, ex of UCLA (his son played at Loyola). Nothing ever came of it and I wondered if their response when asked was a polite smile and a "Thanks for the offer but I've got to go wash my car now."

It makes me wonder if some are deluding themselves regarding the allure of a HSFB HC position. I'm sure some will respond that "But the situation here is unique because..........", but I'll believe it when I see it..............Luca
Exactly. Why would a guy like Schonert want to take on a job that will be rife with complaining parents who think they know as much or more about the job than the actual coach?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Mortal

Post by Mortal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Do not get your hopes up, most likely it will not be a Servite alumni. Not sure there is one out there that could handle the job at today's Servite![/quote]

Please explain.

Mortal

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Link
Servite has set an April 4 deadline for applications and resumes for its varsity football head coaching position, vacated when Troy Thomas resigned Monday to take the football coaching job at Crespi of Encino.

Resumes and applications to Servite associate athletic director Joel Hartmann at jhartmann@servitehs.org. Interviews happen April 12-23. The announcement of the new coach is set for April 26.

We have checked with several people as to their interest in the Servite position.

Mission Viejo football coach Bob Johnson. “Probably, no,” Johnson said. He was very interested a few years ago in the Santa Margarita job that went to Harry Welch. Johnson has sons Bret and Rob as Mission assistant coaches, and a grandson in the program there.

Former Servite assistant coach Rick Garretson, now an assistant at Chandler High in Arizona, said he would not apply to return to his alma mater.

UCLA assistant coach Matt Reinert, a Servite alum, is very interested and will apply.

La Habra head coach Frank Mazzotta said he loves La Habra and dedicated to Highlanders football, but just might give it a look-see.

Ed Drzanek, El Modena head coach, a former Servite assistant for many years and a Servite alum, has not quite gotten back to us on this issue (long story) but we will talk with him.

More to come on this in the Fryer column later this week

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Here's another name Kunau. Wouldn't that just freeze Noto's balls if O Lu starts to lose to Coach K. :mrgreen:
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

ventura

Post by ventura » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Lots of interesting Servite give and take, as usual. I'm curious to know if Servite's schedule for the coming season is set in concrete, or if it's possible to amend in view of this development.

Ventura

ringer

Post by ringer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Admittedly, I am out of the loop, but it seems like it would be unlikely that any high-profile, tenured, pension-accruing public school coach would jump over there to the private world...That being said, Servite will have a number of very qualified applicants for the position. Say what you want about Thomas (and many have), but he is on the short list of the most successful HS football coaches in California in the 21st Century [do you see how I worked a "short" joke in there?].

ventura

Post by ventura » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 pm

pattywannamack wrote:I would also just like to say that Crespi is a terrible school filled with terrible people.

This really has nothing to do with Troy Thomas, Crespi just sucks as a school.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a stupid post.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 pm

:shrug: He's a product of Mater Dei

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm

ventura wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a stupid post.
Have you ever interacted with someone from Crespi?
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:45 pm

SoMelo wrote:Link
UCLA assistant coach Matt Reinert, a Servite alum, is very interested and will apply.
Chris is the GA at UCLA. Matt is his younger brother.

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:54 pm

ventura wrote:Lots of interesting Servite give and take, as usual. I'm curious to know if Servite's schedule for the coming season is set in concrete, or if it's possible to amend in view of this development.

Ventura
keep the schedule as is, any top coach that doesnt rely on a team full of all americans will do just fine. This Servite team has to be coached to win.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:57 pm

ringer wrote:Admittedly, I am out of the loop, but it seems like it would be unlikely that any high-profile, tenured, pension-accruing public school coach would jump over there to the private world...That being said, Servite will have a number of very qualified applicants for the position. Say what you want about Thomas (and many have), but he is on the short list of the most successful HS football coaches in California in the 21st Century [do you see how I worked a "short" joke in there?].

It really depends on how much Servite is going to be willing to pay per year and if the public school employee has been around long enough to be invested in STIRS, or the person is just wealthy.

ventura

Post by ventura » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

pattywannamack wrote:
Have you ever interacted with someone from Crespi?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, over the last few decades. They were all terrible. Bill Hedlund, Frs. Carter, Hogan, Eric, Malley. Mrs. Schlicte, my classmates, etc etc. All terrible. Can't believe they've been around since '59, with all those lousy people.

Where do you get off making a statement like that? Way to represent MD.

ventura

Post by ventura » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Ghogh - If I remember correctly, that schedule is the most brutal I've seen, by far. Tough for a new coach to get in there this late and deal with that, IMO.

Ventura

Celtasaurus Rex

Post by Celtasaurus Rex » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 pm

There's a lot of very poor talk on this board about Troy Thomas, and almost all of it coming from students, parents and alumni of Servite.

You know, 8 years ago, Troy Thomas left Crespi for Servite, to a program in shambles -- a doormat for your pals across town at Mater Dei. How many losses in a row to MD before Troy Thomas? 20?

When Troy Thomas left Crespi, he left to a chorus of best wishes, and thanks for all he had done for the program. Just like it should have been for someone who was part of the family.

I look at what Thomas accomplished at Servite over these past years, and see: Victories over Mater Dei, seven league titles, two CIF-SS Division I titles, a state bowl victory, and an appearance in the Open Bowl game. Troy Thomas earned himself a seat at the Servite table -- a part of the family!

And how does the Servite Nation respond to these accomplishments? With complaints to the administration because the football program is "too tough", the Coach demands excellence and discipline, not only on the field but off, and does not tolerate dissenters on the team. Complaints? For demanding honor and excellence?

So now that Troy Thomas is gone, these boards light up with name calling, calling him a midget, a freak show, saying that he should get a job at the circus? That he's an awful coach? Really? You had one of the best high school football coaches in the nation! You people should all be ashamed.

You need to step back and take another look at what "Formation Themes" are, and what the Credo is (or used to be). Troy Thomas resembles these principles far more than you whining crybabies ever will. And no matter who you get as coach, until you start living the Credo instead of just saying it, you will never win CIF again or go to another bowl game again. It comes from the heart, and you've all proven that you have none.

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Celtasaurus Rex wrote:There's a lot of very poor talk on this board about Troy Thomas, and almost all of it coming from students, parents and alumni of Servite.

You know, 8 years ago, Troy Thomas left Crespi for Servite, to a program in shambles -- a doormat for your pals across town at Mater Dei. How many losses in a row to MD before Troy Thomas? 20?

When Troy Thomas left Crespi, he left to a chorus of best wishes, and thanks for all he had done for the program. Just like it should have been for someone who was part of the family.

I look at what Thomas accomplished at Servite over these past years, and see: Victories over Mater Dei, seven league titles, two CIF-SS Division I titles, a state bowl victory, and an appearance in the Open Bowl game. Troy Thomas earned himself a seat at the Servite table -- a part of the family!

And how does the Servite Nation respond to these accomplishments? With complaints to the administration because the football program is "too tough", the Coach demands excellence and discipline, not only on the field but off, and does not tolerate dissenters on the team. Complaints? For demanding honor and excellence?

So now that Troy Thomas is gone, these boards light up with name calling, calling him a midget, a freak show, saying that he should get a job at the circus? That he's an awful coach? Really? You had one of the best high school football coaches in the nation! You people should all be ashamed.

You need to step back and take another look at what "Formation Themes" are, and what the Credo is (or used to be). Troy Thomas resembles these principles far more than you whining crybabies ever will. And no matter who you get as coach, until you start living the Credo instead of just saying it, you will never win CIF again or go to another bowl game again. It comes from the heart, and you've all proven that you have none.
must be in love with a midget.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm

oldschool wrote: must be in love with a midget.

Better then being in love with yourself!

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 pm

ventura wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, over the last few decades. They were all terrible. Bill Hedlund, Frs. Carter, Hogan, Eric, Malley. Mrs. Schlicte, my classmates, etc etc. All terrible. Can't believe they've been around since '59, with all those lousy people.

Where do you get off making a statement like that? Way to represent MD.
Well Ventura,

I am glad that your interactions have been more fruitful and positive than mine have been. Perhaps I can shed some light as to why I say such things.

For some reason, all male schools have a penchant for "fashion show" fundraisers. Servite has an annual fashion show, Crespi has an annual fashion. Why they do is simply a mystery to me, but I think it has something to do with the sexual repression oft held by the parents who send their children to such schools. Their line of thinking reads something like this "My boy's education can't get distracted by girls, but it's totally cool if he spends his weekend rehearsing how to walk up and down a runway".

(Before all of you freak out, that last paragraph was made in pure sarcasm and that is only because I find it so immensely ironic that a "Brotherhood" like Servite also hosts an annual fashion show. I'm not being mean, it's just a tad ironic that a school that really champions the benefits of masculinity embellishes itself in something so overtly feminine)

Anyways, I work as a video editor and once had to edit video content for Crespi's annual fashion show one year. Like any good production I had to wake up relatively early in the morning and arrive at the hotel at around 5:00am to begin setting up projection and video equipment. At around 12PM right before the fashion show started, a pizza lunch was brought in for the parent volunteers at Crespi. The company that I worked for was nice enough to pay for a rather expensive lunch from the hotel's kitchen (think a nice sandwich, with a side salad, a small dessert, and a meal that in general was infinitely more appealing than pizza).

Crespi's parent volunteers walk into the room where the food is being served and they look at the pizza and say "Don't we have any adult food?" of course insinuating that pizza is beneath them. While this is happening my co-workers and I had just grabbed our meals and had set them on a table. Because we had been doing some physical labor we quickly ran to the bathroom to wash our hands. When we came back, we saw about eight or so pompous Crespi parents eating our food, the same ones that complained about pizza not being good enough for them.

Needless to say, I was pissed. Now don't get me wrong, I like pizza as much as the next person who isn't a complete egotistical narcissist, so it really wasn't the loss of a nice meal that bugged me. What did bother me was the fact that rich adults, who had probably put in an hour or so of effort into volunteering for that fashion show, decided that it would be okay to steal a meal that my company had paid for because they were somehow better and more important than us. Bear in mind, they saw us sitting at that table, and given the way our food was laid out, you could tell it was someone else's.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fickle person, but there was something about that whole incident that really rubbed me the wrong way and left a bad taste in my mouth. Every other interaction that I have ever had with someone representing a Catholic or Private school has been mostly positive and in the worst case scenarios have been nowhere near as bad as what I had experienced from people associated with Crespi.

So I don't know what to say really. Obviously not everybody at Crespi is like that, and you can't blame the actions of a few on an entire community. BUT, I have made it a point to shamelessly bash Crespi as a big "F You" to those people. Do they care? Probably not, but it makes me feel better when times like this arise.

As an aside, when I was on Mater Dei's Academic Decathlon Team, Crespi's team cheer was "We are not a sports team!" I never knew why they took such pride in that.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

edac25

Post by edac25 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Celtasaurus Rex wrote:There's a lot of very poor talk on this board about Troy Thomas, and almost all of it coming from students, parents and alumni of Servite.

EXCELLENT POST. Couldn’t have said it better myself. What Thomas was able to accomplish at Servite in his tenure will go unmatched by ANY Trinity League Team/Coach. His overall league record, his 7 league titles in 8 seasons will not be duplicated. Thomas took a mediocre program that was constantly under-achieving into The Premier High School Football Program in Southern California. Servite lost the best coach the school has ever had. Why? Because Bowen, Carter, Brennan and Clinton didn’t have the sack to stand-up to whining parents. You think Rollo would EVER get run by these same type of parents?? Hell No! MD’s Admin would tell those parents and their kids to go find another school. SHAME on the Servite Admin…first time I have ever been embarrassed to be a part of Servite High School.

You guys better hire the right guy because you all just let the BEST guy go.

This whole thing reminds me of the scene in “Scent of a Woman”….Al Pacino as Lt. Col Frank Slade:

I don't know who went to this place. Turk Schonert, Chris Galippo, Cody Fajardo, whoever. Their spirit is dead. It's gone. You're buildin' a rat ship here, a vessel for seagoin' snitches. And if you think you're preparin' these minnows for manhood, you better think again, because I say you are killin' the very spirit this institution proclaims it instills. What a sham. What kind of a show are you guys puttin' on here today?

As I came in here, I heard those words: "cradle of leadership….Faith-Filled Leaders". Well, when the bough breaks, the cradle will fall, and it has fallen here. It has fallen. Makers of men, creators of leaders. Be careful what kind of leaders you're producin' here.