Troy Thomas Resigns as Head Coach

ventura

Re: Troy Thomas Resigns as Head Coach

Post by ventura »

Patty -

Wow. Thanks for taking the time. That was one terrible story, and I realize now Crespi IS a dump, and the people involved there are whatever you said they were.

I was pretty sure your story was the reason you made that ridiculous statement about Crespi. I remembered someone taking the time to recount what you wrote tonight, years ago, and that someone was you. Did you copy/paste it? I remember thinking how regrettable those actions you described were, but how odd it was that you'd take so much time to recount them in such a gossipy way, and take so much time to unjustly paint an entire community in that light, from a single afternoon's actions by a few parents of Crespi students. I'm amazed that after so much time, you seemingly are more upset about it.

Your pettiness and lack of charity are an eye opener. I don't suppose you are Catholic, maybe not even Christian. But if you are, have you ever taken the time to pay attention to The Lord's Prayer when reciting it? You hanging on to such a trivial incident for years, instead of forgiving trespasses as you hope to be forgiven, is remarkable. Not only hanging on to it, but painting an entire school in one preposterous, immature statement, from a single circumstance in what, 2008?

For the record, there is plenty that goes wrong at Crespi; lots of stuff I've had trouble with through the years. (Including some of the trash talking players on that 2007 team that took apart MD in the quarters down at your place). I'm sure it's different from Mater Dei, where no one has done anything wrong, and no wayward teacher, parent or student has misrepresented the Catholic character the school seeks to put forth.

Sorry for leading this thread astray, guys.

Getting more on track, I've liked FrairJoe, Lionhunter, Luca's and a few others' comments on the topic. If I had to bet, though, I think Edac was closest to home on the troubles Thomas faced at the school, and the reason it was easier for him to seize the opportunity at Crespi when it opened up.

And you put it well Celtasaurus (?), in your defense of Thomas. When guys start throwing out personal insults it means they've got nothing but bitterness to bring to the table. No facts.

I've grown to really like the Friars, and will continue to root for them. (I actually liked what I saw at Pierce College in '87 or '88, when that stud back answered Russell White all night long, and the Friars prevailed over the Celts in the playoffs.) I will not be surprised, though, if the coming years will make them realize that Thomas, with whatever foibles he brings, is a rare coach, as Welch said in the Daily News in an article today.

Ventura
ventura

Post by ventura »

Whoa. Reread Celtasaurus. Read Edac's reply. Devastating to the Thomas detractors.

You know edac, reading some of the stuff through the years, I was wondering if Thomas is different than what I have been exposed to since '93, when I first saw him coach. I think you were among the Servite skeptics at first, no? It seems to me you began to admire him more as time wore on. That gives me great comfort as he returns to his alma mater. It sounds like it's as much fun for you to see him leave as it was for me in '05.

Ventura
inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto »

pattywannamack wrote:
Well Ventura,

I am glad that your interactions have been more fruitful and positive than mine have been. Perhaps I can shed some light as to why I say such things.

For some reason, all male schools have a penchant for "fashion show" fundraisers. Servite has an annual fashion show, Crespi has an annual fashion. Why they do is simply a mystery to me, but I think it has something to do with the sexual repression oft held by the parents who send their children to such schools. Their line of thinking reads something like this "My boy's education can't get distracted by girls, but it's totally cool if he spends his weekend rehearsing how to walk up and down a runway".

(Before all of you freak out, that last paragraph was made in pure sarcasm and that is only because I find it so immensely ironic that a "Brotherhood" like Servite also hosts an annual fashion show. I'm not being mean, it's just a tad ironic that a school that really champions the benefits of masculinity embellishes itself in something so overtly feminine)

Anyways, I work as a video editor and once had to edit video content for Crespi's annual fashion show one year. Like any good production I had to wake up relatively early in the morning and arrive at the hotel at around 5:00am to begin setting up projection and video equipment. At around 12PM right before the fashion show started, a pizza lunch was brought in for the parent volunteers at Crespi. The company that I worked for was nice enough to pay for a rather expensive lunch from the hotel's kitchen (think a nice sandwich, with a side salad, a small dessert, and a meal that in general was infinitely more appealing than pizza).

Crespi's parent volunteers walk into the room where the food is being served and they look at the pizza and say "Don't we have any adult food?" of course insinuating that pizza is beneath them. While this is happening my co-workers and I had just grabbed our meals and had set them on a table. Because we had been doing some physical labor we quickly ran to the bathroom to wash our hands. When we came back, we saw about eight or so pompous Crespi parents eating our food, the same ones that complained about pizza not being good enough for them.

Needless to say, I was pissed. Now don't get me wrong, I like pizza as much as the next person who isn't a complete egotistical narcissist, so it really wasn't the loss of a nice meal that bugged me. What did bother me was the fact that rich adults, who had probably put in an hour or so of effort into volunteering for that fashion show, decided that it would be okay to steal a meal that my company had paid for because they were somehow better and more important than us. Bear in mind, they saw us sitting at that table, and given the way our food was laid out, you could tell it was someone else's.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fickle person, but there was something about that whole incident that really rubbed me the wrong way and left a bad taste in my mouth. Every other interaction that I have ever had with someone representing a Catholic or Private school has been mostly positive and in the worst case scenarios have been nowhere near as bad as what I had experienced from people associated with Crespi.

So I don't know what to say really. Obviously not everybody at Crespi is like that, and you can't blame the actions of a few on an entire community. BUT, I have made it a point to shamelessly bash Crespi as a big "F You" to those people. Do they care? Probably not, but it makes me feel better when times like this arise.

As an aside, when I was on Mater Dei's Academic Decathlon Team, Crespi's team cheer was "We are not a sports team!" I never knew why they took such pride in that.
The Servite show is a well-run, profitable venture, put on by a crew of hard-working volunteers. i have a Servite son and a Rosary daughter who both participate on the runway. they both thought it was an incredible experience, from the behind the scenes production work, working the auction, and especially the chance to walk the runway. beat the hell out of some car wash or candy sale or whatever they do at MD or other co-ed schools.

stick to what you know. speedo-wearing, ACA-DECA dork. there reasons they put people like you BEHIND the camera during the Fashion Show.
Percussus Resurgo
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

edac25 wrote:Thomas took a mediocre program that was constantly under-achieving into The Premier High School Football Program in Southern California.
After the initial flurry of emotional responses to Coach Thomas's leaving, the most recent posts by Celtasaurus Rex, Edac, and Ventura have given us maybe the most intellectually honest analyses of his tenure at Servite, with perspective and without sensationalism. Thanks guys.

Eddie, I agree with your statement that I quoted above, and I think I've posted so on more than one occasion. However, in total honesty, in the last two years Servite has declined somewhat to being arguably "The 8th Or 9th Most Premier High School Football Program In Southern California". That also transpired on Coach Thomas's watch, and it's fair to wonder whether some of his off-the-field shortcomings didn't contribute to it. When you look at someone's legacy, you have to look at both the good and the bad.
Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 »

I'm going to miss the shadow boxing midget. Bottom line is that he quit, just like he did against DLS... :mrgreen:
outsider70

Post by outsider70 »

This is truly a weird and dark day, I am embarrassed by Patty's post about Crespi, and fell enlightened by Edac's perspective on the coaching transition at Servite.

I'm going back to bed and start over.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Maybe it's Opposites Day........
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

edac25 wrote:What Thomas was able to accomplish at Servite in his tenure will go unmatched by ANY Trinity League Team/Coach. His overall league record, his 7 league titles in 8 seasons will not be duplicated.
In 8 years TT has gone 75-25 for a 75% winning average...He's won 7 League Titles, 2 CIF Championships & 1 State Championship...In 24 years at Mater Dei Rollinson has gone 229-73-2 for a 75.3% winning average...He's made the CIF D1 Finals 9 times & won it 5...In those 24 years his Monarchs have won 14 League Titles...Not to mention his teams have won the USA Today National Championship twice...He was also named the USA Today National Coach of the Year.

I think Thomas is a fine coach...Really...But how a team/coach pick themselves up after a losing season (MD in 2011 4-6 & Servite in 2012 3-7) says more to me about the perseverance and dedication of the team/coach...MD bounced back in 2012 with a 11-3 record and a CIF Pac 5 Final appearance...Servite in 2013? We'll never know...TT quit on his team...I'm sure it was the best for him & his family as he gets to go back home to his alma mater...But it does make his exit after his tumultuous last season a very sour end to what could have been quite the impressive run...Ce La Vie
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

I think Edac makes good points and is generally right. I know many of you label him an a-hole on these boards but the fact remains his takes, while sometimes sensationalized, are often accurate. Coach Thomas is the most successful coach in Servite history and based on his track record of turning around 2 different programs to win CIF championships in a short amount of time is impressive. Thomas is clearly one of the top coaches in the southland. We could debate where he lands in the rankings, but in my view he is one of the top 10 coaches in socal. Replacing one of the top coaches in the southland will not be easy. Chances are your next coach will not be as good (just based on probabilities).

Thomas ran a tough program..demanded committment and had a single-minded attitude towards the program, without necessarily endearing himself to parents, administrators, other coaches or even players for that matter that got in his way. While not popular, his approach works and definitely results in a winning program. We can debate the merits of all the political BS all day long, but the fact remains Servite has massive shoes to fill. This decision they make will impact the program for years to come. I would like them to pick a winning coach with a proven track record over a college assistant or an alum with minimal experience. I would think the job is attractive enough to get many qualified interested candidates.
Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man »

I was told that Troy Thomas got $200K for 5 years which means he signed a million dollar deal.
footyfan

Post by footyfan »

MDDad wrote:However, in total honesty, in the last two years Servite has declined somewhat to being arguably "The 8th Or 9th Most Premier High School Football Program In Southern California". That also transpired on Coach Thomas's watch, and it's fair to wonder whether some of his off-the-field shortcomings didn't contribute to it. When you look at someone's legacy, you have to look at both the good and the bad.
Exactly. Nobody can deny that Thomas is a winning coach and deserves major kudos for turning around the program in such a big way. It's a shame that anyone would dismiss or belittle his tremendous success. But that doesn't mean there weren't always "off-the-field shortcomings" that tainted the experience for many players, parents, coaches, etc. It's easy to ignore those shortcomings when you're winning, not as easy when you start losing like the last two years. It's also a shame that random "outsiders" would call players or parents "crybabies" for having issues with Thomas. If you or your child weren't part of the program, you have no business making such a comment. This IS high school football... winning games, being champions is absolutely fantastic, but that's not the only thing that shapes the experience for student athletes and their families... nor is it the only thing that should matter to a school dedicated to forming "faith-filled leaders".

Bottom line - you should be able to respect (and appreciate) Thomas for his unparalleled success at Servite, but still respect those who had issues with him for whatever reasons. Furthermore, the way some of you "grown ups" talk to each other on here is pathetic. Not setting a very good example for our youth.
GHOGH

Post by GHOGH »

The past records are good for Servite and TT, I have only been a fan for 3 years. From the loses he had, they came from being out coached. BG, the lose in the playoffs after being up at half to play calling. He can only win with tons of talent. Which he didnt have last year. He could never coach an average team to a title with his my way or the highway coaching. Ive stated before he threw the towel in last season because he knew he wasnt creative enough, or to trust his coaching staff. It made perfect sense that this was his last season. As far as him being to tuff I dont agree, i love the weight training and the practices. What I did hate was him changing the game plan several times on a thursday nite or friday morning. With that said i wish him well at crespi. Now im waiting to see what other underclassmen will leave.
Celtasaurus Rex

Post by Celtasaurus Rex »

Someone ate her "adult food" at a fashion show?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

FriarJoe wrote:I think Edac makes good points and is generally right. I know many of you label him an a-hole on these boards but the fact remains his takes, while sometimes sensationalized, are often accurate. Coach Thomas is the most successful coach in Servite history and based on his track record of turning around 2 different programs to win CIF championships in a short amount of time is impressive. Thomas is clearly one of the top coaches in the southland. We could debate where he lands in the rankings, but in my view he is one of the top 10 coaches in socal. Replacing one of the top coaches in the southland will not be easy. Chances are your next coach will not be as good (just based on probabilities).

Thomas ran a tough program..demanded committment and had a single-minded attitude towards the program, without necessarily endearing himself to parents, administrators, other coaches or even players for that matter that got in his way. While not popular, his approach works and definitely results in a winning program. We can debate the merits of all the political BS all day long, but the fact remains Servite has massive shoes to fill. This decision they make will impact the program for years to come. I would like them to pick a winning coach with a proven track record over a college assistant or an alum with minimal experience. I would think the job is attractive enough to get many qualified interested candidates.

Edac is an idiot, like it is hard to post things that are public knowledge, writing checks on the backs of others and making things up. One thing I have learned about Servite, the true goals are hard to achieve for the kids because parents, boosters and staff often search for the results to benefit them also, rather than just the kids. Edac is a perfect example, as are many Servite fans on this board. One good example would be formation, what a joke, ask a student, he will tell you. The goal of the program is positive, but, in the end it is a joke and is mostly an ego boost for a few faculty members. I saw the transcript of a senior yesterday, almost all C's in difficult classes except he had A's in PE and Formation, anyone that has any clue about education, actually gets the meaning. The saddest part of this is that there is still some positives that come out of Formation, and so why do other similar private schools in Southern California not have it or try to send the same message to it's students.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Ramon wrote: In 8 years TT has gone 75-25 for a 75% winning average...He's won 7 League Titles, 2 CIF Championships & 1 State Championship...In 24 years at Mater Dei Rollinson has gone 229-73-2 for a 75.3% winning average...He's made the CIF D1 Finals 9 times & won it 5...In those 24 years his Monarchs have won 14 League Titles...Not to mention his teams have won the USA Today National Championship twice...He was also named the USA Today National Coach of the Year.

I think Thomas is a fine coach...Really...But how a team/coach pick themselves up after a losing season (MD in 2011 4-6 & Servite in 2012 3-7) says more to me about the perseverance and dedication of the team/coach...MD bounced back in 2012 with a 11-3 record and a CIF Pac 5 Final appearance...Servite in 2013? We'll never know...TT quit on his team...I'm sure it was the best for him & his family as he gets to go back home to his alma mater...But it does make his exit after his tumultuous last season a very sour end to what could have been quite the impressive run...Ce La Vie

You need to learn the difference between the idea that your take on this is as a fan or boosters, This is a profession for coaches. BTW, one thing Thomas also doesn't have that Rollo does, the DA dropping charges against him for action that took place at his work place! If you want to be a Homer, ok, but lets be honest about things!

Signed by the MD Trainer, the Santa Margarita Football Coaches and Rollo himself who were all trashed by MD homers on this Board in 2011-12!
inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto »

THETRUTH wrote:

Edac is an idiot, like it is hard to post things that are public knowledge, writing checks on the backs of others and making things up. One thing I have learned about Servite, the true goals are hard to achieve for the kids because parents, boosters and staff often search for the results to benefit them also, rather than just the kids. Edac is a perfect example, as are many Servite fans on this board. One good example would be formation, what a joke, ask a student, he will tell you. The goal of the program is positive, but, in the end it is a joke and is mostly an ego boost for a few faculty members. I saw the transcript of a senior yesterday, almost all C's in difficult classes except he had A's in PE and Formation, anyone that has any clue about education, actually gets the meaning. The saddest part of this is that there is still some positives that come out of Formation, and so why do other similar private schools in Southern California not have it or try to send the same message to it's students.
...sit down and chat with the non-jocks, kids who actually have a plan for their lives. ask them about Formation. better yet. go read what's up on the wall in the newly renovated admin building. kids that have something on the ball are better people because of Formation - and they will tell you so. that's what you should center on while espousing your (currently) off-base opinion of the Formation program.
Percussus Resurgo
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Wow Truth...I post a fact based rebuttal to Edac and you reply with a decades old case that was dropped? :eh?:

I supported Rollo implicitly during 2011-12...My posts on this boad support that...But you comparing the trash talk from some MD Homers then...To the evisceration suffered by TT in the last year in a half at the hands of Servite homers is laughable.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

THETRUTH wrote:Signed by the MD Trainer, the Santa Margarita Football Coaches and Rollo himself who were all trashed by MD homers on this Board in 2011-12!
What I remember from 2011-12 is Steve Fryer intimating in his column that there were Mater Dei supporters who thought it might be time for Coach Rollinson to step aside, resulting in some Mater Dei posters on this forum crawling up Fryer's ass. If you remember Monarch fans "trashing" Rollo in that same timeframe, maybe you could tell us who they were.
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

MDDad wrote: What I remember from 2011-12 is Steve Fryer intimating in his column that there were Mater Dei supporters who thought it might be time for Coach Rollinson to step aside, resulting in some Mater Dei posters on this forum crawling up Fryer's ass. If you remember Monarch fans "trashing" Rollo in that same timeframe, maybe you could tell us who they were.

There were several on this board, and that is what fans and boosters do, just the way it is. No different than who did and didn't trash Welch and a few assistants at Santa Margarita. I am not even going to say it is wrong, it is what the boosters do, like I mentioned earlier, most boosters could care less about the coach if they are not happy and then their are coaches who coach kids because that is their profession.

If you want to pretend there were not calls on this board for MD to make a coaching change, well go ahead, but, the truth does suck, huh, it is what you boosters do!
THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH »

Ramon wrote:Wow Truth...I post a fact based rebuttal to Edac and you reply with a decades old case that was dropped? :eh?:

I supported Rollo implicitly during 2011-12...My posts on this boad support that...But you comparing the trash talk from some MD Homers then...To the evisceration suffered by TT in the last year in a half at the hands of Servite homers is laughable.

You went after Thomas with a cheap shot, your a booster, that is what you do. I just agreed with you, they are not the same, tell me if I lied, life is tough booster boy, live with it!
Last edited by THETRUTH on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.