Troy Thomas Resigns as Head Coach

mrfoxtruckdriver

Re: Troy Thomas Resigns as Head Coach

Post by mrfoxtruckdriver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:38 pm

The rumor isthatcoach fox was part of the deal and packing his bags for crespi.

inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:32 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:I think Servite comes out of this stronger then what they would have had, if TT stayed Hmong all the discontent.

Look for the admin to do the right thing and bring in an established winner at the Hs level. For me, either Mazzota or Logan would really elevate the program. In Mazzotas case, Servite could land a long term guy.

The last few years have been tumultuous with TT interviewing for every position that came along. Remember he was close to leaving for Crespi 2 years ago, before Servite ponied up more $$$. Then we learn he applied for the DLS position among others.

My money is on Mazzota, and I would welcome him.
...how important was "being close to Mom" then? Unless he figured to pack her up and take with.
Percussus Resurgo

TrippMcNeilly

Post by TrippMcNeilly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Guys about to take over a new platoon of recruits and help defend our Country and Notorious thinks that he needs to 'get around more' because he doesnt know anything about leadership.

Notorious, you don't post much ****, and I usually respect you for that, but that had to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, and theres a lot of dumb **** that gets posted on here.
I am the devil, and I am here to do the devils work

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 pm

I drift in an out when I post here, what exactly did I say that got your panties in a twist?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

fnuts

Post by fnuts » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:09 am

He was probably blazing again. Posted another zinger to get attention. And it did.
This is his "stand-up comedian" platform. Unfortunately, he presents as having classic insecurity issues. :mrgreen:

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:40 am

Notorious wrote: Why do you people want Schonert? The Bills offense was god awful when he was a coach.
Schonert was quarterbacks coach for the Bucs, Giants, Panthers, Bills, and Saints. He was offensive coordinator for one year 2008. He was fired just before the season in 2009 when the QB (Trent Edwards) complained that his offense was too complicated. :roll:

Ironically, 2008, with that complicated offense, was Edwards best season. He and the Bills went downhill from there, and the head coach was fired nine games later for having no offense.

Trent Edward's Career statistics
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Rtg Att Yds Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
2007 BUF 10 9 269 151 56.1 1630 6.1 7 8 70.4 14 49 3.5 0 12 105 4 0

2008 BUF 14 14 374 245 65.5 2699 7.2 11 10 85.4 36 117 3.3 3 23 143 9 5

2009 BUF 8 7 183 110 60.1 1169 6.4 6 7 73.8 14 106 7.6 0 9 79 1 0
2010 BUF 2 2 52 29 55.8 241 4.6 1 2 58.3 5 24 4.8 0 7 63 0 0
2010 JAX 2 0 24 14 58.3 140 5.8 0 2 40.3 5 16 3.2 0 2 16 0 0
Totals 36 32 902 549 60.9 5879 6.5 25 29 75.8 74 312 4.2 3 67 466 14 5
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

ventura

Post by ventura » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 am

rvoltes5 wrote:Well, from the looks of it, the football program has highs and lows. By this past trend, Servite will be good again...in 2042!

With that said, I enjoyed the 8 year ride with Troy Thomas. He is a good football coach and he will do well at his alma mater.

I'm actually glad he's back at Crespi. I just had a feeling he missed his school a lot. He wore the crest, but you can tell he was a Celt deep down, and that's fine.

rvoltes - I think you are dead on about him missing Crespi. This from Coach Ross in a Daily News articlue, who took over for Thomas when he left Crespi -

"Troy always loved Crespi. From the day he left, it's always hurt him," said Ross, now a head coach in Virginia. Ross was an assistant for two years under Thomas at Crespi before taking over the head job for five seasons until Mack arrived. "I'm sure Troy is excited to get back," Ross said. "He's a Crespi man through and through. Crespi is bigger than one man, and I know Troy will do what he has to do to be successful. It's tough in the Serra League, but Troy is a winner. He's competitive, he loves the game, and he loves the kids. Those are the things you need to be successful."

Ross and Thomas remained close for sometime after TT's departure.

Exrep - I don't agree with your comments on timing; that Thomas was one among any number of solid coaches who could have taken Servite where they went. After so many years of mediocrity before he came, that just doesn't add up for me. And I'm really sorry to read your comments about him being disingenuous. I don't know Troy well but that hasn't been my sense of him. Not a good PR person at times (understatement?), yes; dishonest, no.

If Thomas is what his detractors say, it will be born out eventually at Crespi, sooner or later.

Ventura

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 am

ventura wrote:

rvoltes - I think you are dead on about him missing Crespi. This from Coach Ross in a Daily News articlue, who took over for Thomas when he left Crespi -

"Troy always loved Crespi. From the day he left, it's always hurt him," said Ross, now a head coach in Virginia. Ross was an assistant for two years under Thomas at Crespi before taking over the head job for five seasons until Mack arrived. "I'm sure Troy is excited to get back," Ross said. "He's a Crespi man through and through. Crespi is bigger than one man, and I know Troy will do what he has to do to be successful. It's tough in the Serra League, but Troy is a winner. He's competitive, he loves the game, and he loves the kids. Those are the things you need to be successful."

Exrep - I don't agree with your comments on timing; that Thomas was one among any number of solid coaches who could have taken Servite where they went. After so many years of mediocrity before he came, that just doesn't add up for me. And I'm really sorry to read your comments about him being disingenuous. I don't know Troy well but that hasn't been my sense of him. Not a good PR person at times (understatement?), yes; dishonest, no.

If Thomas is what his detractors say, it will be born out eventually at Crespi, sooner or later.

Ventura

The comment by Ross is pretty lame, like the Trinity League isn't tough?

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 am

ventura wrote:

Ventura
Ventura - Thanks for that insight.

Like I said, it's all good that his heart was always with his alma mater. And I am thankful for all the success he has provided Servite football over the past few years. It was fun being on the national stage for a while and being part of that whole experience was great.

Maybe he wasn't PR savvy, but Servite hired him to turn things around and he did.

I wish him well.

Now...who the heck is Servite going to hire!?!?!?
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

SerCredo

Post by SerCredo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:43 am

I Would go with Elijah Asante hes the only coach that can say hes beat Mater Dei in two consecutive years besides Thomas and hes already at Santa Margarita...

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am

SerCredo wrote:I Would go with Elijah Asante hes the only coach that can say hes beat Mater Dei in two consecutive years besides Thomas and hes already at Santa Margarita...
This would please me much...But I find no way Servite would sell out and hire Asante...So for now I can watch his “I don’t recruit, I ATTRACT.” circus at SMCHS.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Don't under estimate the importance, or lack thereof, of communication. I have heard terms like poor PR/poor communication used to describe the coach when meeting with players, parents and Admin. While TT has turned the program around in terms of winning games, I don't believe he has raised the program up to new levels in the past 3 years. For this reason, I believe Servite graciously accepted his resignation and is willing to move on to a program that can meet this requirement. In the meantime, there is no doubt TT will be successful at his alma mater, which has a tradition of winning but lost it's way. The question that only time will tell is what faces TT in 3-5 years after he demonstrates winning? Maybe $1 million is enough to retire?

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Ramon wrote: But I find no way Servite would sell out and hire Asante...So for now I can watch his “I don’t recruit, I ATTRACT.” circus at SMCHS.
Sell out? Do you mean like a contract with Nike? Or more like an assistant coach selling a Ponzi scheme?

And you don't have to travel all the way to Santa Margarita for an anticipated "I don't recruit I ATTRACT" when can remain in Santa Ana and watch the originators in real time..................Luca

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:58 pm

No dog in the fight and I might be wrong but wasn't the assistant coach in question a coach at
Santa Margarita high many years ago?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Luca wrote:Sell out? Do you mean like a contract with Nike? Or more like an assistant coach selling a Ponzi scheme?
I rarely have any difficulty following your analogies, but I have to admit I'm struggling with these.

I'm not sure if Mater Dei's arrangement with Nike is all that different from Santa Margarita's arrangement with UnderArmour. Either way, I don't see many similarities between a corporate sponsorship with a $24 billion sports apparel company that brought enough revenue to the school to help keep down tuition costs, and the hiring of a snake-oil salesman whose singular overwhelming talent has always been pimping his current employer to inner-city kids.

I also don't see how a school's termination of "an assistant coach selling a Ponzi scheme" within a day or two of finding out about his activities is "selling out." It's not like the coach was engaged in a large-scale marijuana operation and the school delayed taking any action until the negative publicity got too hot.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Nothing brings me greater joy as seeing people respond before I have a chance...Not only did they say what I would have...They did so much more eloquently than I ever could...Bravo!!!
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Ramon wrote:Nothing brings me greater joy as seeing people respond before I have a chance...Not only did they say what I would have...They did so much more eloquently than I ever could...Bravo!!!

I think I know what you meant by “selling out”, but since nobody addressed Luca’s second paragraph for you, how would you have responded to that?

Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 pm

MDDad wrote: I rarely have any difficulty following your analogies, but I have to admit I'm struggling with these.

I'm not sure if Mater Dei's arrangement with Nike is all that different from Santa Margarita's arrangement with UnderArmour. Either way, I don't see many similarities between a corporate sponsorship with a $24 billion sports apparel company that brought enough revenue to the school to help keep down tuition costs, and the hiring of a snake-oil salesman whose singular overwhelming talent has always been pimping his current employer to inner-city kids.

I also don't see how a school's termination of "an assistant coach selling a Ponzi scheme" within a day or two of finding out about his activities is "selling out." It's not like the coach was engaged in a large-scale marijuana operation and the school delayed taking any action until the negative publicity got too hot.
+1000
Luca,I do get a guilty pleasure out of your posts, it is like watching a fat woman in the gym. Got to applaud the effort but have to remind myself to hide the laughs.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Grinder wrote:

I think I know what you meant by “selling out”, but since nobody addressed Luca’s second paragraph for you, how would you have responded to that?
To be honest I was taken back by his 2nd paragraph...Asante is very open to the fact that he recruits...He just calls it "attracting" in a very nonchalant manner...Frankly, the fact that SMCHS would go out and hire someone like that after all the negative press the program has garnered as of late is really puzzling...For the hard time I give Servite...I do recognize the fact that they are true to their mission...Hiring a controversial figure like Asante to replace Thomas would be contrary to what the school stands for...IMHO

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:20 pm

MDDad wrote:...... I don't see many similarities between a corporate sponsorship with a $24 billion sports apparel company that brought enough revenue to the school to help keep down tuition costs, and the hiring of a snake-oil salesman whose singular overwhelming talent has always been pimping his current employer to inner-city kids.
Neither do I. That's why I asked Ramon to define his use of the term "sell out", given that in one situation a high school program has signed a contract with a coach who has barely begun his employment whereas in the other a program has signed a contract to promote a corporation that has for years been the poster child for child labor and abuse of workers. (By the way, regarding "pimping" are you referring to Coach Asante or the Pat Barrett/Coach McKnight pipeline?)
MDDad wrote:...... I also don't see how a school's termination of "an assistant coach selling a Ponzi scheme" within a day or two of finding out about his activities is "selling out." .
Nor do I. Nor do I see why simply hiring a coach represents "selling out." It would seem that there should be some actual violations at the program before one considers the term. Again, I was asking Ramon to define his term, especially given that the Ponzi scheme actually occurred, whereas the coach in question hasn't even had time to collect a paycheck before a partisan is making accusations against the school regarding integrity.
MDDad wrote:...... It's not like the coach was engaged in a large-scale marijuana operation and the school delayed taking any action until the negative publicity got too hot.
True. And it's not like the head coach was prosecuted for assault against a female trainer or [removed]
..........I would be happy to continue to exchange allegations of disreputable behavior. However, I would ask in the current case that the disreputable behavior actually occur before accusations are leveled.
Ramon wrote:Nothing brings me greater joy as seeing people respond before I have a chance...Not only did they say what I would have...They did so much more eloquently than I ever could...Bravo!!!
Now that you've had a chance to rejoice in such eloquence, Ramon, perhaps you could respond to the points above while explaining how your initial comments do not represent hypocrisy of biblical proportions.

cruiser wrote:No dog in the fight and I might be wrong but wasn't the assistant coach in question a coach at
Santa Margarita high many years ago?
Not that I'm aware of. The guy lived in Santa Margarita for some time and had a younger brother who went to Santa Margarita as a freshman before transferring out. If he ever coached there it must've been briefly as I don't recall his name.....................Luca
Last edited by Luca on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.