New Head Coach at Servite High School is...

rvoltes5

New Head Coach at Servite High School is...

Post by rvoltes5 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:50 am

Just to get away from the TT bashing and all the conspiracy theories out there:

A few names that I heard tossed around locally that may be interested in the job:

Anthony White - current head coach at Buena Park High School

Frank Mazzotta - current head coach at La Habra High School

Chris Reinert - current Graduate Assistant for defense at UCLA

Any thoughts on these coaches and maybe some that you have an insiders knowledge in.
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

Haroof

Re: New Head Coach at Servite High School is...

Post by Haroof » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I think Frank would be a good fit at Servite.

Luca

Post by Luca » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:19 pm

With the departure of Troy Thomas this means that - after Coach Rollinson - Coach Hartigan at JSerra is at six years the longest tenured coach in the Trinity League, despite all the criticism he's received over the last few years and all the presumed instability.

Never have so many known so little about so much...................Luca

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Luca wrote:With the departure of Troy Thomas this means that - after Coach Rollinson - Coach Hartigan at JSerra is at six years the longest tenured coach in the Trinity League, despite all the criticism he's received over the last few years and all the presumed instability.

Never have so many known so little about so much...................Luca

That should be the official motto of this site.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:41 pm

[quote=“Haroof"]I think Frank would be a good fit at Servite.[/quote]

I agree. I would also include Matt Logan and maybe a guy like Thad McNeal.

uclatime

Post by uclatime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 pm

How much money do you think this job pays? The only reason Thomas got over $100,000 a year was because two Alumni paid him the difference from Servite's $85,000 offer. Thomas was going to leave two years ago without a raise over $100,000. Why would a Frank Mazzotta, or Matt Logan leave their public pensions and larger salary, and great public health insurance for a job at Servite. It doesn't add up.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Didn't Troy make money on camps? Also, what would stop alumni from pitching in for the right coach?
"Forget about the fact that the local Catholic Parochial School kids are now no longer a even a minor contributing factor in the Monarch Football Program but now we have players wearing a God Damn ski mask during a post game interview"

Domingo

uclatime

Post by uclatime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 pm

All the camp money and salary together come to $85,000. Any extra money would have to come from some where else. What would you do about the health insurance and pension money. A public school teacher in Ca. gets health insurance and a pension for life. You must get in at least 20 years to get it. Once these coaches find out about the pay, you will find alot of them dropping out. Remember Troy Thomas came from Crespi and Barnes had over 20 years in his school district.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:13 pm

High end PPO health insurance about 2k a month or 24k a year. A few alumni donating on salary gets a competitive salary along with alumni assistance into a 401k. Doesn't seem insurmountable to me for the right candidate.
"Forget about the fact that the local Catholic Parochial School kids are now no longer a even a minor contributing factor in the Monarch Football Program but now we have players wearing a God Damn ski mask during a post game interview"

Domingo

uclatime

Post by uclatime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Servite can't raise money for the capital campaign, but have Alumni that will pay about $75,000 year to beef up pay and health insurance. yea right.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 pm

I consider these two different fund raising activities that are intertwined. I know some alumni would give money for a winning program first and improvements second. I think both are needed.

Domingo

socalfootballfan

Post by socalfootballfan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:14 am

rvoltes5 wrote:Just to get away from the TT bashing and all the conspiracy theories out there:

A few names that I heard tossed around locally that may be interested in the job:

Any thoughts on these coaches and maybe some that you have an insiders knowledge in.
Mazzotta isn't going anywhere as he is set at La Habra.

White and Reinert could be possibilities

Another name would be Hartigan at JSerra. I have heard his name mentioned on numerous occasions

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 pm

socalfootballfan wrote:
Mazzotta isn't going anywhere as he is set at La Habra.

White and Reinert could be possibilities

Another name would be Hartigan at JSerra. I have heard his name mentioned on numerous occasions

Hartigan isn't going no where, the JSerra AD just resigned or was let go a week or so ago and Hartigan
was appointed the interim AD. Hartigan was the AD a while back but resigned the position to devote
more energy to the FB program. Though I'm sure the administration is giving him some extra benefits
for taking on the added responsibility, fyi

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Hartigan is a good coach but if Servite is looking for someone to "fit into the Sevite mold"....he isn't
the person. He runs his program HIS WAY which is the only way he would take a job at a school
or stay at a school.

LanceSterling

Post by LanceSterling » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 am

rvoltes5 wrote:Just to get away from the TT bashing and all the conspiracy theories out there:

Why would a HS head coach at one HS go be HC at another HS? Why are not longer term assistant coaches deserving a chance to HC not on your list?

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 am

LanceSterling wrote:

Why would a HS head coach at one HS go be HC at another HS? Why are not longer term assistant coaches deserving a chance to HC not on your list?

I would think that hiring an assistant would be considered more of a gamble than hiring an established coach. Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with that. However, the Trinity League is so ultra-competitive, and loaded with talented coaches, that the wrong hire could put a program in a hole that could take years from which to climb out.

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am

LanceSterling wrote:

I don't know of any assistant coaches that are ready to tackle anything like the Trinity League, but if you have any to add it would be appreciated
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

ColSixPack

Post by ColSixPack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Didn't Byrnes from Fullerton College interview for O Lu last year? Why not him?

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:41 pm

For a National search why are the only names being brought up are mostly local coaches? Surely there must be a coach from outside the OC area.

seeinred

Post by seeinred » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:17 pm

GHOGH wrote:For a National search why are the only names being brought up are mostly local coaches? Surely there must be a coach from outside the OC area.
As heralded as the position of Servte Head Coach is, it's still only a HSFB head coaching job. Not usually the kind of job one picks up the familily and moves here for from the far reaches of this great country...