Spontaneous memories

Luca

Spontaneous memories

Post by Luca »

In the off-season, certain memories return with greater frequency than others. It would be interesting to hear what the most poignant memories some of us have regarding HSFB over the years. Not necessarily the most dramatic, but the ones that seem to leave a lesson. Arbitrarily choosing three, mine would be:

One). It was the D IV championship game of 1998, Santa Margarita versus Woodbridge. Santa Margarita had won the title the previous two years with Carson Palmer at quarterback. Woodbridge I believe had been winless in 1997 but came out of nowhere and I think might have been undefeated by the time of the finals. They had edged Santa Margarita in a league game and this was the rematch. I was pulling for Santa Margarita but Woodbridge won again and I remember watching the stands empty and the players go wild when the final gun went off. It was especially meaningful for them since they had been so awful the preceding seasons and turned it around so dramatically. Even though I was disappointed, I couldn't help being happy for the kids and thinking it was probably better this way. This was what HSFB was all about.

(Some of the fuzziness wore off a couple years later when I found out that Woodbridge - reportedly - had scored the winning touchdown on a trick play that deliberately disguised utilizing 12 players with the extra wide receiver being wide open down the middle of the field for a touchdown. Still.........)

Two). My son's final high school game in the 2000 CIF playoffs. It was actually a really good team that was peaking by playoff time, having just drilled Servite and knocked off #7 nationally ranked Mater Dei. They played an unheralded A.B. Miller at home but completely befuddled by the double wing once again. The best and most reliable player unaccountably fumbled three or four times and put them two or three scores behind in the fourth quarter. They then mounted one of the best comebacks I've seen and nearly won in the final seconds of regulation play when my son just missed nailing Miller's QB for a safety before he could get his pass off. In overtime that same star player fumbled again on the first play and Miller ran a trap up the middle for 25 yards and the score. All the excitement built up was suddenly all gone in a fraction of a second. It was a stunning sensation. I remember going home and writing an article about the experiences of raising a HSFB player and how you're never ready for the end. I still read it sometimes.

Three). The final three playoff games of Santa Margarita's 2011 championship season. In each game (Mission Viejo, San Clemente, and Bellarmine) they put the game away with a late fourth-quarter length of the field drive under pressure. It made me a real believer in Johnny Stanton. It was eerie how you could just sense in the stands that they couldn't be stopped. It's that feeling you have about some players that it's almost unfair to have them on your team because they have some sort of divine guidance that shows them the way. All these years and he was the best QB I've ever seen in high school. Together with that offensive line of Tuerk, Crane, Bunte, Sorenson and Luther and it was a great show to watch.

Luca
Last edited by Luca on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Parrotpaul

Re: Spontaneous memories

Post by Parrotpaul »

Nice retrospective, Luca.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Luca,

!). That year's game was actually Div VI. I learned that when Blng Blng was ragging on Servite being dropped to Div VI. I argued that it was Div V but researched it and found that indeed, the Golden West league had been dropped, for that year, from Div V to Div VI where they lost to Woodbridge in the semi finals.

http://cifss.org/pdfs/record_book_new.pdf

2). I remember that post you wrote...awesome!

3). That feeling you described about Johnny Stanton, I only remember having that about one player. With all due respect to Steve Beuerlein, and Cody Fajardo, that player was Turk Schonert. I remember remarking to my dad during a game, when Servite was in a 2nd and 40 situation that it didn't really matter. Schonert would get the 1st down anyway...and he did. That was his junior year, and only St.Paul, aided by the fact that they broke our fullback's leg (imagine that) was able to stop him (3-0). Eventual CIF Champion Los Altos beat us that year too, but not by stopping our offense. (35-17 in the Quarterfinals). Servite's only losses were to those two CIF Big 5 Finalists.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Luca,

I believe Woodbridge actually made the playoffs the year before they won CIF. They had a losing streak in the 20's before that. Woodbridge also tied Irvine that year for the Sea View league title. Irvine had a fumble return for a touchdown that was called back, but was clearly a valid play. They seemed to be the team of destiny that year. Santa Margarita beat Irvine to get to that title game after Irvine had killed them earlier in the year. I forget the score.
ElmerFudd

Post by ElmerFudd »

1. Mater Dei versus Servite at Angel stadium 2007.
Watching Matt Barkley throw a 60+ yard pass off one foot as he's being brought down was a special moment to witness.

2. Johnny Stanton and that ridiculous OLine against Mission Viejo 2011--most exciting OC high school football game I ever had the pleasure of watching.
Country

Post by Country »

1997 was D5. 1998 was D6. I think 1998 was when Woodbridge & Irvine played to a tie to finish the regular season 9-0-1. :eh?: Irvine had a solid group going there for a while. Semi in 1998. Lost in finals to Newport Harbor in 1999. Beat NH in the finals in 2000 (Allowed only 6 points in their 4 playoff games).
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

The 1999 Irvine team was 10-3-1. They lost to only two teams that year. The first and last was Newport Harbor. Irvine lost the Sea View league title and the CIF Title to Newport Harbor by a total of 3 points; 10-12 and 18-19. The other team they lost to was Matt Grottegode's (spelling) Mater Dei team that tied for the division 1 championship. They upset Mayfair in the Quarter finals on their way to the title game.

Irvine was led by Keith Short, who played four years at UCLA and Mike Patterson, who was an excellent high school MLB. Patterson was all county, Sea View League and Irvine city defensive player of the year I think. You also can't forget Mike Ricci, the 5-5 QB who was tough as nails and clutch. Harbor had a great running back named Andre Stewart who would tragically die later that school year in a car accident. Their QB was Chris Manderino, who would go on to start at FB at Cal I think.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

The 1999 Irvine team was 10-3-1. They lost to only two teams that year. The first and last was Newport Harbor. Irvine lost the Sea View league title and the CIF Title to Newport Harbor by a total of 3 points; 10-12 and 18-19. The other team they lost to was Matt Grottegode's (spelling) Mater Dei team that tied for the division 1 championship. They upset Mayfair in the Quarter finals on their way to the title game.

Irvine was led by Keith Short, who played four years at UCLA and Mike Patterson, who was an excellent high school MLB. Patterson was all county, Sea View League and Irvine city defensive player of the year I think. You also can't forget Mike Ricci, the 5-5 QB who was tough as nails and clutch. Harbor had a great running back named Andre Stewart who would tragically die later that school year in a car accident. Their QB was Chris Manderino, who would go on to start at FB at Cal I think.
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

1991...Big A...CIF D1 Championship Game...Mater Dei 35, Eisenhower 14...Epic
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

I remember that game , game officials held the game from starting for almost 30 minutes as cars were
backed up on state college ave and orangewood ave, entering the parking lot, except toward the end of the foul poles the entire stadium was packed - I always remember stadium personnel that were near me saying - " can you believe the people in here for a HIGH SCHOOL GAME!"
outsider70

Post by outsider70 »

Ramon, I was at that MD -Eisenhower game, the Eagles came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and got worked over by the Monarchs.

That was the game that started the MD dynasty in the 90's. the only other game that came close was beating Bishop Amat in the finals in 94, and I think they came in ranked #1 also.
Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man »

outsider70 wrote:Ramon, I was at that MD -Eisenhower game, the Eagles came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and got worked over by the Monarchs.

That was the game that started the MD dynasty in the 90's. the only other game that came close was beating Bishop Amat in the finals in 94, and I think they came in ranked #1 also.
The MD v Los Al semi was better with 34k as opposed to 23k. On side kick to win it. MD held on to win it v Feterik, Guyness, Melsby, another receiver who went to Oregon, et al.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Woodbridge was absolutely horrible in 1995 and just plain bad in 1996 BUT it was a team loaded with sophomores and on the rise. They started getting somewhat respectable in 1997 and when these kids were seniors by 1998 they were an unbelievable D-VI team. Interestingly, Irvine was relatively down in the late 90's but came back strong by 2000 as WB began to fade again. As for Luca's memory he's a little off with his details. It wasn't on Woodbridge's winning TD - they kicked a long field goal to win 27-24 as time expired - where the infamous play occurred, but on a TD earlier in the game. WB, perhaps by design or not, had 12 men (a 3 x 2 set with a RB) that understandably mixed up the LB's and safeties enough to leave an uncovered slot receiver who ran free upfield and caught a long TD pass with nobody within 30 yards of him. Yes, if Hartigan's staff was on the ball so to speak they would have seen it before the snap and called a TO. The suspicion (frustration) amongst SM supporters grew almost into a public vs. private conspiracy theory in part because it was Cox's game of the week and parents were watching that game (and play) over and over for the next week wondering why the ref's never caught it and why Rick Gibson would be so dastardly. Good game though.
Luca

Post by Luca »

You jogged my memory, Darkstar. Irvine actually crushed Santa Margarita earlier, 42 – 18. I remember Irvine would unpredictably make a quick break out of the huddle and go on a quick count and catch Santa Margarita - which flip-flopped its defensive line - out of position repeatedly. In midseason, Santa Margarita transitioned from a wide-open offense - realizing that Greg Orlando was no Carson Palmer - and switched to a ball control offense. They didn't flip-flop in the rematch four weeeks later and beat Irvine, 17-0

Elmer, that pass from Barkley was a play for the ages. I remember it well. He had to scramble around in the end zone and then step up with one guy hanging onto his leg. I'm sure the two DB's gave up on that deep receiver, thinking "Nobody can throw it out that far." It had to be one of those "Oh, ****!" moments when they saw that thing rocketing over their heads...........

Ramon, I was at that 1991 Mater Dei-Eisenhower game. It didn't surprise me at all that Mater Dei took them apart after earlier that year seeing Blanton/Knuff/Sualua beat Loyola in their rematch. I think I remember a Motherway and a Grootegoed on the team also. That offense was a three ring circus....... I also was at the Eisenhower's Revenge game in 1993, 56-3. Eisenhower scored TDs on their first eight possessions and it was over at halftime. I discovered that the best place to watch a football game at the Big A was way up high behind the end zone. It's a great perspective but they don't let anybody sit up there anymore.

Mr. Grady, you are correct about the 12 man set not leading to the winning score. I knew Rick Gibson at the time and he didn't seem like the kind of guy who would pull something like that. Yet one of Santa Margarita's premier players attended USC with a couple of the Woodbridge players and he tells me they admitted it was a planned play that took advantage of the fact that the substitution rules were pretty loose back then. Hearsay................ I don't really know.

I don't know that Coach Hartigan's staff didn't spot it, but if you can't get the refs to recognize it - it seems to me that's their job - it doesn't matter. I think the staff probably was pretty much on the ball, given that was their third straight championship game. Still, I was glad for those Woodbridge kids that they were able to turn it around in those two years..................Luca
SOCALFB

Post by SOCALFB »

The 1998 Mater Dei vs LB Poly CIF game is one that stands out to me above the rest . The year before Poly had beaten MD in a great game 28- 25 . In the 1998 game a kid named Matt Grootegood decided that no matter how talented , fast , big , or strong Poly was MD was going to win that game . I still to this day have never seen a kid take over a CIF championship game like that . It wasn't just one play either it was big plays again and again all game long. He did everything that game offense , defense , special teams , and displayed more heart than anyone I have ever seen . He may have not be the biggest or most talented athlete that has played in the history of OC , but I think that it would be very hard to find anyone with as much heart and will to win as he had . Needless to say MD won the game 33-26 .
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

I don't really know what Mr. Grady is talking about when he says that Irvine was down in the late 90's. Irvine only failed to make the playoffs twice in the decade. Once was in 1990, when they played in the South Coast league and did not get in as a 6-4 team. The other was in 1997 when 300 meter state champion and 2 time all Pac-10 safety at ASU Al Williams got hurt during practice in week two. Those two years also represent the only times that Woodbridge actually beat Irvine in that decade. The 1997 game was a 14-15 loss for Irvine on a missed field goal as time expired. The team was 10-2-1 in 1998 (Semis) and 10-3-1 in 1999 (finals) and 14-0 in 2000 (champs). If that is down, I would like to know what up is. Henigan was the definition of consistency. Rick Gibson just gets good players sometimes.

In terms of the 1998 rematch with Santa Margarita, as great as Henigan was, he had some assistants whom he trusted that did not adjust very well in games. I also think that they were missing their running back who would later get in trouble and have to transfer to of all places Santa Margarita for one year. That running back would come back to Irvine for the 2000 season and help them win it all. They did not need him to much though on offense. P. Abe and G. Young were beasts.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Remember, I said relatively down as in where they were in 1997 as compared to where they were as a program up until say 1993 when they were just about as solid as any program in OC and not just D-VI. WB was inexplicably deeper and more talented than Irvine for about three years which led everyone who followed the Sea View League back then to wonder if Gibson had finally started attracting the best Pop Warner kids that Hennigan always had a monopoly on. When stud RB Dave Doomey left for SM for the 1999 season it cast further doubt in some circles as to whether Irvine indeed about to enter a downhill slide, but within one year, with Doomey back, they were champs again. Interestingly the 2000 Vaqs were not the efficient quick paced offensive machine but one of the best defensive squads in OC over the past 20 seasons.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Which three years are you talking about?
Bick

Post by Bick »

The '07 Championship game between Cypress and Pacifica.

After a few years as cellar dwellers in OC football (4-26 from '02-04), CHS wins it all 3 years after Ray Fenton arrives.

Coming back from 24-7 deficit at halftime to win 36-30 via an epic goal line stand on 4th down as time expired was truly a storybook ending.

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Tenacious

Post by Tenacious »

The best was Servite / Poly 1982 when, during complete silence and right before the hut drill, a player let one go to the crowd. That was spontaneous!