monarchs will win the open division of the state basketball

longtimeobserver

monarchs will win the open division of the state basketball

Post by longtimeobserver » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 pm

On Saturday night, the Monarchs will win the Open Divison of the California State Basketball
Championships. Just so you don't think I am "biased" or a "homer" both schools use MONARCHS
as their athletic team name. Ironically both schools---Mater Dei and Archbishop Mitty of San Jose
will be going for their third straight State title. Mater Dei having won the past two years in Divison 1
and Mitty having won the past two years in Division 2. Both schools could have probably repeated
as champions in those Divisions this year but the State inaugurated the new OPEN Division which allowed
any school that qualified to be placed in that category. So only one will be a 3peat this year!

regularbob

Re: MONARCHS will WIN the OPEN DIViSION of the STATE BASKETB

Post by regularbob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:12 am

I think this will be a great game... ABM has the top player in California for the senior class in Aaron Gordon. The kid (6' 9") is a stud and in the regional final had 29 points and 22 boards. The surprising thing about that game is he shut down the best player on the opposing team a 6'3'"guard. MD has the best player in California in the junior class in Stanley Johnson. Gordon and Stanley know each other pretty well as they both have played on the Team USA, gold medal winning, junior squad the last few summers.
Sleep train Arena is not a shooters paradise and that will favor ABM along with the fact they played there last week so they have their bearrings about them. The overall edge has to go to MD for size and depth but it really should be a very good matchups and one of the best State Championship games in recent memeory.
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:05 am

Actualy, if teams match up fairly well in the state CIF championship, you would have to give the advantage
to the NorCal teams because of the fact they all have played in the arena the week before, get to know the
floor's feel and the adjustment to the baskets that have a deep background to them.

Why is the state championship always (with few exceptions) in Northern California? One could say the
State FB championships are played in SoCal but that is on a field that is neutral to both teams as no SoCal
teams have played on the field during the season also............

regularbob

Post by regularbob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:26 pm

They tried a few years back to alternate sites for the State champiosnhip games but it didnt draw the crowd in SoCal that is did in NorCal so they have kept it up there ever since.

I think the edge of playing in the building is offset by bench depth of MD...Mitty runs everything through Gordon and if Stanley can stay close to him that is a neutral matchup. The key will be the wings and Brown/Strawberry driving to the basket. Cage will need to step up again and if he does he will start to really make a name for himself.
Playing in this arena hurts one player the most and that is James McGee. That kid can shoot the lighst out but this arena normally doesn afford that.

oracle

Post by oracle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Although a lot of attention from this game will be focused on Stanley and Gordon and maybe a bit on Elijah Brown, I think that the real pivitol player will be Strawberry. If he can do what he did last weekend against Etiwanda and score a few outside shots as well as a couple of his floaters, he causes a great match-up problem for Mitty. Jordan has really improved this year an become what we hoped he would , a team leader and has minimized his turnovers. He has had the potential to be a scoring threat but has been satisfied with distributing the ball and keeping the floor spread. When he isn't initiating the offense, that's when the MD team gets selfish and Stanley and Brown try to take over. When Jordan distributes the ball, Elijah and Stanley get better shots and don't force the play. If MD can keep the court spread so Elijah can slash and Johnson can work his outside and in game and Jordan pops in a few, they will create too many problems for Mitty.

mdmagic32

Re: monarchs will win the open division of the state basketb

Post by mdmagic32 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 pm

I am really looking forward to this match up. The open division is a great addition although I don't understand why there were only 7 teams. Is that going to be the norm moving forward? Did the CIF feel there wasn't an eighth team that was qualified ? Anyway this should be a great match up between two great programs with two outstanding players going head to head. I havent seen anything about the game being on tv or streaming online . If someone has that info please share.

regularbob

Post by regularbob » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:42 am

The game will be televised live on Timewarner Sportsnet (403 to TW cable and 691, I think for Direct TV)

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am

"Transfers, mercenaries, not a high school team, I think I pooped myself." -Lionhunter
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:58 am

longtimeobserver wrote:On Saturday night, the Monarchs will win the Open Divison of the California State Basketball
Championships. Just so you don't think I am "biased" or a "homer" both schools use MONARCHS
as their athletic team name. Ironically both schools---Mater Dei and Archbishop Mitty of San Jose
will be going for their third straight State title. Mater Dei having won the past two years in Divison 1
and Mitty having won the past two years in Division 2. Both schools could have probably repeated
as champions in those Divisions this year but the State inaugurated the new OPEN Division which allowed
any school that qualified to be placed in that category. So only one will be a 3peat this year!
haha. Nice. I guess a Monarch will win. Are they both scarlet and white as well?
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:04 pm

NO!! Mitty's colors are Black Gold and White.

ARF

Post by ARF » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 pm

regularbob wrote:The game will be televised live on Timewarner Sportsnet (403 to TW cable and 691, I think for Direct TV)
Plays well on my phone.

http://www.livestream.com/twcsports

Time Warner Cable Sports Channel's live streaming coverage of high school championship games.

Upcoming Events:
CIF Basketball State Championships:
Division 5 Girls
10 a.m. PDT Friday, March 22
Division 5 Boys
12 p.m. PDT Friday, March 22
Division 3 Girls
2 p.m. PDT Friday, March 22
Division 3 Boys
4 p.m. PDT Friday, March 22
Division 1 Girls
6 p.m. PDT Friday, March 22