TAR BALL the movie.

Tommy Tar

TAR BALL the movie.

Post by Tommy Tar »

http://touchdownnewport.com/

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

The 1970s were a time of turmoil in the United States and around the world. The social revolutions of the 1960s were painted over the backdrop of the war in Vietnam. Yet life in Newport Beach, California, still revolved around the surf, sun and sand. Newport Harbor High School excelled in water polo, tennis, surfing and sailing – not football. Since the school’s founding in 1930, the football team had an overall losing record and managed to win only one league championship in 40 years. That was all about to change when coaching legend Ernie Johnson came to town. By 1970, Ernie Johnson had established himself as one of the best high school football coaches in Southern California. During his 23 years at Pico Rivera’s El Rancho High School, his teams won nine league and four Southern California section championships. In 1966, El Rancho was also voted high school “national champion”.
In moving from Pico Rivera to Newport Beach, Ernie Johnson was moving to “an economic opposite”. The question became, could he find a way to motivate kids who generally had a pretty easy life? As many Newport players say, his affect was immediate. Coach Johnson laid out a dream: with enough dedication and hard work, the team could win Southern California’s Sunset League championship. The last Newport championship was 28 years ago. Coach Johnson later said he always believed Newport had talented athletes. They just never expected to win at football. He knew the most important thing was getting the players to believe in themselves. During the spring and summer of 1970 the team bonded around Coach Johnson and began to believe. <snip>
President Elect Tommy Tar.
ventura

Re: TAR BALL the movie.

Post by ventura »

I really enjoyed that. Thanks for the post and link.

Ventura
Red

Post by Red »

Where's Max?
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.
Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

Red wrote:Where's Max?
I know. :shrug: I think he was a freshmen at Harbor that year.
President Elect Tommy Tar.
Old School

Post by Old School »

Old EJ, he was a throw back if there ever was one, right out of Central Casting. Most of the funny things I could tell about the guy are not politically correct...His sense of humor was very Archie Bunker. However if you played for him you learned football. The tape is accurate, not only did he have high physical expectations out of his players he also had high mental ones too. The one thing I learned from him and coached up myself, break the game down in your head, every down, as you play. If you do there are only about two or three situations the offense will put you in and if you did you homework you will be ready. Stay true to your rules. Once you had these concepts down, he would move to teaching you to read the players infront of you. He demanded you could read stances and alignments to predict the tendency in an offense.
There should be an OC Connect Trinity Board...
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

Brian was an 8th grader in 1970. The 1970 team did not have much of an offense but they had a great defense! I used to kid Terry Albritton that they only beat us 14-0 and we were 1-9 that year. His response, "That's what we beat everyone by!"