AJ Gass Announced - Congrats to Servite on a great choice!

Tenacious

AJ Gass Announced - Congrats to Servite on a great choice!

Post by Tenacious » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am

A.J. Gass '93 named Servite head football coachPosted 04/25/2013 11:42AM
Servite High School is proud to announce the appointment of A.J. Gass, as Servite’s head varsity football coach. Most recently, Coach Gass served as the Varsity Special Teams Coordinator and Defensive Line Coach. He also served as the Dean of Students and Director of Safe Schools.

A.J. played for ten years in the Canadian Football League for the Edmonton Eskimos Football Club, while winning two Grey Cup Championships as the starting middle linebacker. He finished his career ranked third all-time special teams tackles and sixth all-time defensive tackles. He was nominated for the CFL’s Tom Pate Award for outstanding community service twice in his career.

“We couldn’t be more excited about the appointment of A.J. Gass as our next head football coach,” Servite President Pete Bowen said. “Not only does he possess outstanding football experience, but more important, he understands the essence of our formation program because he is a product of it.”

Coach Gass will be responsible for directing Servite’s four-team football program, and developing both current and future Friars into faith-filled leaders.

“The best way to lead a Friar, is to be a Friar,” Gass said. “Being the Head Football Coach at Servite gives me the opportunity to pursue my passion, while forming these young men into leaders. A faith-filled leader not only leads on the field, but more important, off the field. We will change the world one Friar at a time.”

Coach Gass attended Servite High School, where he served as a captain on the football team. Gass’ football honors while at Servite include; Defensive MVP of the Sunset League, All CIF Southern Section, and All State as a defensive back. In 2012 he was inducted into the Servite Athletic Hall of Fame. Gass attended Fresno State where he was All WAC selection in 1996 and 1997, and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Criminology.

Servite High School, located in Anaheim CA, is a Catholic, college preparatory school for boys, with a mission of forming faith-filled leaders. The school was founded by the Order Friar Servants of Mary in 1958.

Lionhunter

Re: AJ Gass Announced - Congrats to Servite on a great choic

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 am

Congratulations AJ!

Now let's kick some butt!
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:50 am

Lionhunter wrote:Congratulations AJ!

Now let's kick some butt!
Don't forget your quote for this season.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:55 am

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:02 pm

I posted previously that Gass would be a good choice, if you can find an alumni with the credentials the
powers at be want, then in most cases (unless it's a no brainer choice) it's pretty much an ideal situation
for the school.

Now, IMO, if Gass were to bring back Toner as the DC (he is a very good DC, would he do it?) and find an OC that fits the bill, the machine would be oiled up and ready to go - wish them the best.

edac25

Post by edac25 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Very pleased with this announcement! Gass defines Servite Football. He doesn't have the HC experience but he's been learning what it takes to run The Premier High School Football Program in Southern California under Troy Thomas for the past several years. He has the formula. Alumni will support Gass 110%...expect them to come out like never before. Now we just need to bring back Mitchell to run the offense and we're off and running!

Go get 'em AJ!

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:11 pm

cruiser wrote:I posted previously that Gass would be a good choice, if you can find an alumni with the credentials the
powers at be want, then in most cases (unless it's a no brainer choice) it's pretty much an ideal situation
for the school.

Now, IMO, if Gass were to bring back Toner as the DC (he is a very good DC, would he do it?) and find an OC that fits the bill, the machine would be oiled up and ready to go - wish them the best.
Thanks Cruiser. I'm not sure Larry would be interested, and us old guys have to be careful how much stress we put on the old ticker. That said, he looked pretty good when I saw him last year, so, who knows.

AJ is a defensive guy himself, so I'm, more concerned that he get an offensive coordinator that can design a high percentage passing attack to go with our ground game.

I agree, Edac. Mitchell would be great.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Mitchell ain't coming. I hope he gets someone good.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Lionhunter wrote:Thanks Cruiser. I'm not sure Larry would be interested, and us old guys have to be careful how much stress we put on the old ticker. That said, he looked pretty good when I saw him last year, so, who knows.

AJ is a defensive guy himself, so I'm, more concerned that he get an offensive coordinator that can design a high percentage passing attack to go with our ground game.

I agree, Edac. Mitchell would be great.

I hear you, Lionhunter, take care.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:28 pm

joefutbol wrote:Mitchell ain't coming. I hope he gets someone good.

Yeah, someone with experience.

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 pm

edac25 wrote:Very pleased with this announcement! Gass defines Servite Football. He doesn't have the HC experience but he's been learning what it takes to run The Premier High School Football Program in Southern California under Troy Thomas for the past several years. He has the formula. Alumni will support Gass 110%...expect them to come out like never before. Now we just need to bring back Mitchell to run the offense and we're off and running!

Go get 'em AJ!
Think about all the old guard coming back. Kalil's, the Father and brothers (and all of Corona), Ciceros, Galippo, etc. Kalil himself will take a vested interest in Gass' success, but probably from a distance. This is a much bigger deal than if they hired an experienced coach. You can't buy this stuff. I'm sure Toner is very pleased with the decision and will be involved somehow.
Last edited by Tenacious on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edac25

Post by edac25 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Email we all just received....

AN OPEN LETTER TO SERVITE FANS

Dear Friar Faithful,

My name is AJ Gass and I have just been named the Head Varsity Football Coach at Servite High School. I would like to thank those who served on the search committee as well as the alumni, faculty, staff and parents I met during the interview process for this opportunity. I am humbled by their confidence in me, to lead the Servite Football Program.

My first and most important job title in life is husband and father, so I am thankful to my wife Stacey for her love and support. I have two awesome children, my daughter Eliska and my son Porter who are and always will be daddy's biggest fans. I will succeed at this job with the best fans in life, my family, by my side.

To the football student-athletes, I am proud to march into battle with you this year. I understand the past month has been a time of uncertainty and frustration, and I promise to do everything in my power to prepare you for spring ball as well as the upcoming season. A phrase that is used frequently here is "CREDO" which means "I BELIEVE". I believe in Servite High School. I believe in the formation process that takes place here, and I believe in my abilities to teach you the game of football while holding you to high academic and leadership standards to help you become the man God has called you to be. And most importantly I BELIEVE IN YOU.

To Servite parents, I am always humbled at the responsibility a parent gives to a coach to guide, teach and mentor their child. Please know that I take that responsibility very seriously and will work with you to make not only your son's, but also your experience with the football program a memorable one. Thank you for the trust you place in the hands of our coaching staff on a daily basis. I won't let you down.

To my alumni brothers of Servite High School, BECAUSE OF YOU WE ARE SERVITE. As an alumnus, I understand the legacy of greatness that has been paved for our program. Our young men's success springs from the sacrifices of those who came before them; I will help them remember you, and what you gave for them to be here.

To the Servite fans, thank you for your support. Few match your reputation, and I consider myself the luckiest coach in the world to have you on my side of the stadium. I invite you to purchase your 2013 Season Tickets online at the Servite website now. Every play, every day, every fan counts. Let it be known, The Black Attack is back.

CREDO,

AJ Gass

edac25

Post by edac25 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Tenacious wrote:
Think about all the old guard coming back. Kalil's, the Father and brothers (and all of Corona), Ciceros, Galippo, etc. Kalil himself will take a vested interest in Gass' success, but probably form a distance. This is a much bigger deal than if they hired an experienced coach. You can't buy this stuff. I'm sure Toner is very pleased with the decision and will be involved somehow.
No offense to Toner, great man, great guy, great for Servite....but PLEASE keep the man away from any involvement in running the football program. I doubt he wants to be involved anyway.

Coach Gass will get plenty of support from the Servite Football Family....hell I may even volunteer my invaluable time and football expertise. It's no secret I'm widely considered one of the top football minds on this or any other board.

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:38 pm

Is there no mercy amongst you?

First we have a multipage thread about Troy Thomas quitting. Then we have a multipage thread regarding "Who should be the next head coach", and now we're initiating another monstrosity about what a great choice the novice head coach AJ Gass will be?

Can I anticipate a fourth interminable thread when the guy hires his offensive coordinator?

How about a "Who will be Servite's next freshman offensive line coach" thread?

I sometimes grow nostalgic for the old days when these boards would go dormant in the off-season................Luca

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Luca wrote:Is there no mercy amongst you?

First we have a multipage thread about Troy Thomas quitting. Then we have a multipage thread regarding "Who should be the next head coach", and now we're initiating another monstrosity about what a great choice the novice head coach AJ Gass will be?

Can I anticipate a fourth interminable thread when the guy hires his offensive coordinator?

I sometimes grow nostalgic for the old days when these boards would go dormant in the off-season................Luca

I must agree with Luca, just be why can't people just be happy for Coach Gass and wish him will, it is that simple, but yes, sadly enough it looks like the drama continues!

RareSteakMan

Post by RareSteakMan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm

hey Luca, shut your b*tchass up. No one cares what you have to say. Go massage Welch's ego.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 pm

You don’t like Servite threads? Don’t read Servite threads.

(Luca, did I get that contextually right? You put the damn quote in my head the other day)

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Come on, Luca. We're excited that's all. To quote the new coach, "To the Servite fans, thank you for your support. Few match your reputation, and I consider myself the luckiest coach in the world to have you on my side of the stadium." and "To my alumni brothers of Servite High School, BECAUSE OF YOU WE ARE SERVITE."

Tell us about SMCHS, J Serra, and Loyola. I know I'd be interested.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 pm

RareSteakMan wrote:hey Luca, shut your b*tchass up. No one cares what you have to say. Go massage Welch's ego.
Easy RSMan. Luca is one of the good guys. I suspect a little tongue-in-cheek nature to his post.

ServiteFan

Post by ServiteFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Greetings, minions!!

I decided to take a break from my retirement to chime in. Coach Gass is a great choice. I believe he will bring something back to the program that has been lacking these last few years - heart, passion, excitement - but please, hopefully NOT that tired 'wedgie up the middle for 1 yard at 3rd and long'.

I just purchased season tickets for the first time since 2010. It's gonna be a fun season! Look me up - I will be the one wearing black. :thumbsup:
ServiteFan - The 12th Man
2009 Pac5 Champions!(because according to the scoreboard at the end of regulation play we had more points than Edison.....THEN we went on to win state over Rocklin in that same fashion...)