Servite Offensive coordinator

sammy swordsman

Servite Offensive coordinator

Post by sammy swordsman » Sun May 05, 2013 8:31 am

The choice of Offensive Coordinator will be the single most important "football" decision that coach Gass will make. I would hope that a "Maximum Effort" is being made to get Matt Mitchell back.

Mitchell knows the personnel and calls a calculated game that does not cause unnecessary turnovers, yet has the ability to be aggressive when the opportunity arises.

Servite needs coach Mitchell now more than ever.

:shrug:

Al Koholik

Re: Servite Offensive coordinator

Post by Al Koholik » Sun May 05, 2013 8:43 am

sammy swordsman wrote:The choice of Offensive Coordinator will be the single most important "football" decision that coach Gass will make. I would hope that a "Maximum Effort" is being made to get Matt Mitchell back.

Mitchell knows the personnel and calls a calculated game that does not cause unnecessary turnovers, yet has the ability to be aggressive when the opportunity arises.

Servite needs coach Mitchell now more than ever.

:shrug:
While I have no dog in this fight, and I can't argue with any of the points made, I am compelled to argue that Coach Mitchell is not the only answer at OC for Servite and Gass. There are plenty of progressive, talented, experienced and quality OC's across the Southland and beyond that could be a great fit for Servite and the new HC. Mitchell indeed has an intimate knowledge of the school and the program, which could facilitate a somewhat seamless re-transition, as it were. But I think you are painting a picture of Mitchell as the missing link and the consequences sans his return as dire. He's a great coach and there's no doubt he would again be an asset. But so are a lot of other coaches out there, young and old, who could be just as valuable an asset given the opportunity. My humble opinion
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Sun May 05, 2013 8:15 pm

The best game that I saw Mitchell call was the 2009 semi final vs. Mission. On Paper Servite had very little chance against the Diablos. The game was a defensive struggle, with the Servite D doing all they could to survive the Diablo offensive attack, and keep Mission out of the end zone. When the first half ended 6-3, Servie fans started to really believe they could win. Mitchell calle a conservative ball control game, featuring quick hitch passes and inside runs. He avoided turning the ball over which would have been more than the beleaguered Friar defense would have been able to bear.

Then late in the 4th Mitchell catches the Mission corners creeping in and getting greedy for a pick, and exploits the Diablos for a 50 yard scoring strike, and winning touchdown.

Mitchell put on a play calling clinic that night, and the patience he showed will not be found in some of these
" gunslinger" offensive coordinators. Any body can call plays and with the right talent, appear to be pretty good offensive coordinators, but Mitchell succeeded on many levels.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Mon May 06, 2013 5:39 am

sammy swordsman wrote:The best game that I saw Mitchell call was the 2009 semi final vs. Mission. On Paper Servite had very little chance against the Diablos. The game was a defensive struggle, with the Servite D doing all they could to survive the Diablo offensive attack, and keep Mission out of the end zone. When the first half ended 6-3, Servie fans started to really believe they could win. Mitchell calle a conservative ball control game, featuring quick hitch passes and inside runs. He avoided turning the ball over which would have been more than the beleaguered Friar defense would have been able to bear.

Then late in the 4th Mitchell catches the Mission corners creeping in and getting greedy for a pick, and exploits the Diablos for a 50 yard scoring strike, and winning touchdown.

Mitchell put on a play calling clinic that night, and the patience he showed will not be found in some of these
" gunslinger" offensive coordinators. Any body can call plays and with the right talent, appear to be pretty good offensive coordinators, but Mitchell succeeded on many levels.
Of course. There are NO other patient, calculating and disciplined OC's out there? Coach Mitchell is the be-all and end-all of local OC's? C'mon man, get off his chode.
And I'm pretty sure the 2009 team had a significant amount of talent regardless of your David and Goliath inference with regard to the MV game.
Sounds like a bromance to me.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

credofriar

Post by credofriar » Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 am

NO way would Mitchell come back. For this talent or this schedule he is better off with Coach D at El Modena.

Aj hired a guy last week. He was going to be a JV coach at JSerra this year. Was at Servite before. We start tomorrow so if you don't know by now you will know by tomorrow. AJ himself is going to run the defense.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Mon May 06, 2013 8:26 am

credofriar wrote:NO way would Mitchell come back. For this talent or this schedule he is better off with Coach D at El Modena.

Aj hired a guy last week. He was going to be a JV coach at JSerra this year. Was at Servite before. We start tomorrow so if you don't know by now you will know by tomorrow. AJ himself is going to run the defense.
Thats just Greeeeaaaatttt. Giving the keys to the Servite offense that is going to need to figure out how to score off of Gorman, De la Salle, Poly, MD, Bosco...etc. to the JV coach at JSERRA.
:eh?: :?? ](*,) :-xxx

Most Head Coaches calls the play on the High School level, that is why there are very few competent Offensive Coordinators available. If I need to be corrected, then please throw out some names.

Who are the O coordinators that actually call the plays for the top Offensive attacks in So cal.

Los Al
Edison
Westlake
Hart
Alemeny
Bosco
St. Bonny
Last edited by sammy swordsman on Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon May 06, 2013 8:48 am

sammy swordsman wrote:Who are the O coordinators that actually call the plays for the top Offensive attacks in So cal.
Dave Money at Mater Dei.

credofriar

Post by credofriar » Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 am

sammy swordsman wrote:
Thats just Greeeeaaaatttt. Giveing the keys to the Serivte offense that is going to need to figure out how to score off of Gorman, De la Salle, Poly, MD, Bosco...etc. to the JV coach at JSERRA.
:eh?: :?? ](*,) :-xxx

Most Head Coaches calls the play on the High School level, that is why there are very few competent Offensive Coordinators available. If I need to be corrected, then please throw out some names.

Who are the O coordinators that actually call the plays for the top Offensive attacks in So cal.
Los Al- head coach (top offensive attack?? 10 years ago maybe)
Edison - head coach
Westlake - funny looking Asian dude Richard Fong
Hart - head coach
Alemeny - head coach
Bosco - chad johnson
St. Bonny - cant find that info on their website

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 am

Servite's O Coordinator is going to be the guy who formerly was the receivers coach...the guy who used to coach at Santa Ana College.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Mon May 06, 2013 11:55 am

FriarJoe wrote:Servite's O Coordinator is going to be the guy who formerly was the receivers coach...the guy who used to coach at Santa Ana College.
Michael Terry. Good coach. I don't think he has any experience as a coordinator. but he will do a good job.

Leatherhead

Post by Leatherhead » Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm

So if Terry is OC and Gass is def coordinator, is Knudsen line coach? If not does anyone know who is the OL and/ or DL coaches?

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon May 06, 2013 12:23 pm

I heard the old d line coach at ucla wants the job

Tenacious

Post by Tenacious » Mon May 06, 2013 12:26 pm

Leatherhead wrote:So if Terry is OC and Gass is def coordinator, is Knudsen line coach? If not does anyone know who is the OL and/ or DL coaches?
Knudsen isn't coaching!

CoacherG

Post by CoacherG » Mon May 06, 2013 5:37 pm

For the record Jim Benkert at Westlake has called his own plays for 20 plus years. No one who has ever been named OC at Westlake has ever really called plays. St. Bonnie's offense is also called by the HC Todd Therrien.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 pm

CoacherG wrote:For the record Jim Benkert at Westlake has called his own plays for 20 plus years. No one who has ever been named OC at Westlake has ever really called plays. St. Bonnie's offense is also called by the HC Todd Therrien.
I rest my case :lol:

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm

FriarJoe wrote:Servite's O Coordinator is going to be the guy who formerly was the receivers coach...the guy who used to coach at Santa Ana College.
That is correct.

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 am

sammy swordsman wrote:The best game that I saw Mitchell call was the 2009 semi final vs. Mission. On Paper Servite had very little chance against the Diablos. The game was a defensive struggle, with the Servite D doing all they could to survive the Diablo offensive attack, and keep Mission out of the end zone. When the first half ended 6-3, Servie fans started to really believe they could win. Mitchell calle a conservative ball control game, featuring quick hitch passes and inside runs. He avoided turning the ball over which would have been more than the beleaguered Friar defense would have been able to bear.

Wow, how did he get away with putting on a uniform and playing? News flash, coaches do not throw interceptions or drop the footballs!

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 am

Sixth Man wrote:
Michael Terry. Good coach. I don't think he has any experience as a coordinator. but he will do a good job.
So they have a HC/DC with no experience and an OC with no experience taking on what might be the most difficult regular-season schedule in the history of sports? I'm stoked.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 am

He avoided turning the ball over which would have been more than the beleaguered Friar defense would have been able to bear.

Wow, how did he get away with putting on a uniform and playing? News flash, coaches do not throw interceptions or drop the footballs![/quote]

TRUTH,

I don't even know why I am taking the time to reply to your idiotic post. :bonk:

In a (most likely futile) effort to help educate you so that you do not embarrass yourself further, I will try to simply things for you. Everyone else understands what I meant, except you, so let me splain it for you.

Good observation by you that the O-coordinator was and is not on the field with a uniform, and playing, nor did he throw interceptions or drop footballs.

Newsflash: Good offensive coordinators, however, understand down and distance, the feel for the game, and their players capabilities matched with the defense. Unlike his predecessor (@2006 O-coordinator), Mitchell did not call plays that had a poor risk reward, and would have increased the chances that his players, with uniforms, on the field, throwing and running with the football, would have turned the ball over.

Do yourself a favor and spend time this summer reading a few books on the basics of football so that you will be able to provide some intelligent observations come Sept.

If you have a reading and retention problem, then do all of us a favor and follow a non Trinity League team until you can elevate your game to the level of Pac 5 posters. :lol:

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 am

joefutbol wrote:
So they have a HC/DC with no experience and an OC with no experience taking on what might be the most difficult regular-season schedule in the history of sports? I'm stoked.
It could be rough. I hope this is not what TT had in mind when he left for Crespi.