Servite Offensive coordinator

THETRUTH

Re: Servite Offensive coordinator

Post by THETRUTH » Tue May 07, 2013 11:51 am

sammy swordsman wrote: He avoided turning the ball over which would have been more than the beleaguered Friar defense would have been able to bear.

Wow, how did he get away with putting on a uniform and playing? News flash, coaches do not throw interceptions or drop the footballs!

TRUTH,

I don't even know why I am taking the time to reply to your idiotic post. :bonk:

In a (most likely futile) effort to help educate you so that you do not embarrass yourself further, I will try to simply things for you. Everyone else understands what I meant, except you, so let me splain it for you.

Good observation by you that the O-coordinator was and is not on the field with a uniform, and playing, nor did he throw interceptions or drop footballs.

Newsflash: Good offensive coordinators, however, understand down and distance, the feel for the game, and their players capabilities matched with the defense. Unlike his predecessor (@2006 O-coordinator), Mitchell did not call plays that had a poor risk reward, and would have increased the chances that his players, with uniforms, on the field, throwing and running with the football, would have turned the ball over.

Do yourself a favor and spend time this summer reading a few books on the basics of football so that you will be able to provide some intelligent observations come Sept.

If you have a reading and retention problem, then do all of us a favor and follow a non Trinity League team until you can elevate your game to the level of Pac 5 posters. :lol:[/quote]

Everything is about the adults with you, it is high school football, get a clue!

edac25

Post by edac25 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Frank Kalil is back. Coach Kalil was on the practice field today after school and will be coaching on the offensive side of the ball. Mixed feelings about this news. Good Servite guy but most Servite Football Fans remember him best for squandering some of the most talented offensive football teams we've ever had including the infamous Galippo 6 touch playoff game loss vs. Edison at El Mo High. Welcome back Coach Kalil...here's your second chance!

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 pm

I also heard that he was back, though I didn't know if it was full time or not, and I also didn't know in what capacity, offense or defense. In any case, it is great news that a former pro lineman, who has fathered, and coached two other pro linemen, and is a man who loves Servite, has returned to help his beloved Friars.

Welcome Coach Kalil.

The Black Attack is back!!!
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

oldschoolfriar

Post by oldschoolfriar » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

So does this mean Coach Kalil will be the Oline coach or will they stay with Cody?

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Heard kalil's son in law who played for the falcons for awhile is the o-line coach. Anyone know who the d-line coach is?

Mortal

Post by Mortal » Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:
Who are the O coordinators that actually call the plays for the top Offensive attacks in So cal.

Dave Money at Mater Dei?
MDDad wrote: Dave Money at Mater Dei.
Lane Kiffin and Pat Haden told me that Rollo let Matt Barkley call his own plays. Please set me straight MDDad.

Mortal

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Please check your private messages.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Fri May 17, 2013 6:30 am

Mortal wrote:sammy swordsman wrote:
Who are the O coordinators that actually call the plays for the top Offensive attacks in So cal.

Dave Money at Mater Dei?

Lane Kiffin and Pat Haden told me that Rollo let Matt Barkley call his own plays. Please set me straight MDDad.

Mortal
Poppycock!
In the sense that a large % of calls in the MD off. are packaged or a "check with me" where they call 2 plays in the huddle and the QB indicates which at the LOS. Like everyone else they also have a code word for just about every play in the off which they can utilize in no-huddle or 2-minute situations. But the calls are made by Money. There are cases where, if they can handle it, MD QB's are asked to get out of bad plays, whether the original was packaged or not. Then they go with an "easy" call and check off. They are all expected to check into the right protections. Some plays however are called to be run regardless and therein lies one of the dangers that the aforementioned freedom may incur. I've seen it a million times where the QB checks out of a play that the coach wants to run no matter the look.
Haden and Kiffin lose credibility with each passing day. One shouldn't have a job and the other should be fired because the first hasn't been. And quite frankly, Rollo would have nothing to say about whether Barkley called his own plays or not. Money has Carte Blanche with the MD off and his left alone in his laboratory to do his mad-scientist stuff. Rollo calls a few plays a year, there easy to identify, 2 or 3 backs and slammin' it between the tackles, he's a genius like that. X's a and O's are for the coordinators, Rollo has a much higher calling, being Rollo, which a big f'n job.
I'm sure Money will admit in a second that Barkley was a football "outlier" and has not seen his equal in terms of football intellect, but he's still not letting a 16 or 17 year old kid drive the race car and be the chief mechanic. Doesn't work that way. Barkley and Money were on the same page because of the hours spent together and he probably had more freedom than any MD QB in my memory, but the inference that he called his own plays ala Terry Bradshaw or Broadway Joe is just not accurate.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Fri May 17, 2013 9:16 am

Al hit on the head. That is exactly the way things go down around there. I believe John Flynn and Billy Blanton had a lot of autonomy as well because money trusted their football intellect.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 am

Sixth Man wrote:Al hit on the head. That is exactly the way things go down around there. I believe John Flynn and Billy Blanton had a lot of autonomy as well because money trusted their football intellect.
I believe you are correct as those two were smart as whips too. Heck, Flynn is an AF F-1 Fighter Pilot flying Top-Secret missions. What was great about those two was they were Cerebral Gunslingers. Minimal mental errors and no hesitation to take the big shot. I guess that's probably what you'd want in a fighter pilot, not to mention QB.
W.C. Fields

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri May 17, 2013 11:54 am

Al Koholik wrote:
I believe you are correct as those two were smart as whips too. Heck, Flynn is an AF F-1 Fighter Pilot flying Top-Secret missions. What was great about those two was they were Cerebral Gunslingers. Minimal mental errors and no hesitation to take the big shot. I guess that's probably what you'd want in a fighter pilot, not to mention QB.
John Flynn used to fly fighters. He now has a high level desk job with either the Air Force or the Joint Chiefs.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Fri May 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Al Koholik wrote:

That's so cool. Thanks for the info.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 am

MDDad wrote: John Flynn used to fly fighters. He now has a high level desk job with either the Air Force or the Joint Chiefs.
Thanks for the update. I often have no concept of time. Ultimately though, I believe a fighter pilot is a fighter pilot is a fighter pilot. Whether it's WW2 or Iraq, these guys don't have jobs, they have ways of life. To embarrassingly quote Tom Skerritt (Call Sign Viper) from Top Gun, "the best of the best".
A very small and exclusive fraternity.
W.C. Fields

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat May 18, 2013 9:12 am

You're right about how quickly time can get away. Flynnn graduated from Mater Dei only 18 years ago, but when I saw him at the Edison tournament last summer (or it might have been Dana Hills), he had a little gray at the temples.

You're also spot on about fighter pilots. When John spoke about his desk job, he spoke. But when he spoke about flying fighters, he beamed like a little kid.

kid66

Post by kid66 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 am

Al is correct, the advanced MD quarterbacks got to change plays at the L.O.S. to get the team into better plays. They sometimes got 3 to 4 different plays to call at the L.O.S. and decide which play to go with once the defense gives it hand away. Flynn didn't the skills as some of the other MD quarterbacks nor the accolades, but a three year starter and if you go back in the record books, he is top 3 all time. He is second or third in passing yards, top in completion percentage. Won a CIF/National title. All the kid do is win on the field and won off the field with his military duty.