servite spring football

MDDad

Re: servite spring football

Post by MDDad » Sat May 18, 2013 3:37 pm

In all fairness, revoltes, part of the fun of being a fan and a poster is making predictions. Servite supporters have monopolized this forum for two months with their overzealous enthusiasm and predictions for next year. I don't think it's out of line for the supporter of another program to do the same.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 pm

MDDad wrote:In all fairness, revoltes, part of the fun of being a fan and a poster is making predictions. Servite supporters have monopolized this forum for two months with their overzealous enthusiasm and predictions for next year. I don't think it's out of line for the supporter of another program to do the same.
MDDad wrote:In all fairness, revoltes, part of the fun of being a fan and a poster is making predictions. Servite supporters have monopolized this forum for two months with their overzealous enthusiasm and predictions for next year. I don't think it's out of line for the supporter of another program to do the same.
I absolutely agree MDDad, I don't want my post to be taken in the wrong way, thanks.......

rvoltes5 - thanks for the thought.

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Eh, no worries. I should get in on this prediction thing...
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

TrinityLFB

Post by TrinityLFB » Sun May 19, 2013 4:42 pm

SJB has a couple advantages over MD this year. First, the game will be at Bosco. Second, SJB is finally over the hump as far as MD being in their heads. Bosco has beaten MD now two years in a row, both home and away.

I think both teams will be very talented, but home field advantage could be the difference. We all know MD is a better team at home. The biggest question for Bosco will be Oline depth. Even though technically they return four of the starting five OL from last year they are not as deep there as they want to be.

But, their defense and their skill positions will be better than anyone in the Trinity.

AT this point in time, 7 or 8 of their starting 11 defenders have D1 offers, and all are returning starters from last year. The one Dlineman without an offer is probably the best high school player of the bunch but doesn't have the size for the next level.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun May 19, 2013 5:12 pm

I agree. With all the transfers, injuries, mistakes and bad calls still to occur, the smart money in May should be on Long Beach Poly and St. John Bosco to meet in the finals.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 am

What else are message boards for if not shameless, blind support and ridiculous predictions?

I seriously believe that Servite will be better though. This isn't saying that the other Trinity League teams will be terrible. I expect each game to be a knock down drag out affair. I'll make a ridiculous prediction of 7-3 and at least one playoff win.

templar83

Post by templar83 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:33 am

downtothewire wrote:What else are message boards for if not shameless, blind support and ridiculous predictions?

I seriously believe that Servite will be better though. This isn't saying that the other Trinity League teams will be terrible. I expect each game to be a knock down drag out affair. I'll make a ridiculous prediction of 7-3 and at least one playoff win.
Not ridiculous at all. Who will they beat and to whom will they lose? In your opinion, of course.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am

Wins:

Gorman
Poly
Edison
La Mirada
Santa Margarita
JSerra
OLu

Losses:

De La Salle
Bosco
Mater Dei

templar83

Post by templar83 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 am

downtothewire wrote:Wins:

Gorman
Poly
Edison
La Mirada
Santa Margarita
JSerra
OLu

Losses:

De La Salle
Bosco
Mater Dei
That's a tough schedule. Lots of those games could go either way. It'll be entertaining in any event.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 am

Agreed. And mind you I'm not saying these games are automatics. I expect hard fought victories in each game. Many of them will come down to the 4th Q.

sportsfan415

Post by sportsfan415 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 am

Servite will beat mater dei

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon May 20, 2013 11:51 am

We'll have a colony on the moon by 2016.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Mon May 20, 2013 12:16 pm

downtothewire wrote:Wins:

Gorman
Poly
Edison
La Mirada
Santa Margarita
JSerra
OLu

Losses:

De La Salle
Bosco
Mater Dei

Pretty optimistic for team with a head coach who has a total of two years experience coaching high school football…as an assistant.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Kalil makes up for the lack of experience Gass has and together with servites talent they will be very good

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Mon May 20, 2013 12:39 pm

Often times a head coach is only as good as his staff. How good would MD be with Rollo and no Dave Money?

ventura

Post by ventura » Mon May 20, 2013 1:02 pm

I've followed Servite's rise. While next year could be a giant ?, I would tend against optimism. Servite was in tough times before TT. We will see if, as some have suggested, he benefited from good timing talent-wise upon his arrival in 2005, but I doubt it.

Even if there is tons of talent returning, and even if the new HC is all the optimists hope he is, he still has to get his feet wet for the first time against very good competition, and against many of the best, experienced coaches. If you guys are reasonably competitive in each game, you should be happy, IMO, regardless of the record after all.

I loved the Servite tradition in the few games I've seen over recent years, and have been envious of the fan support. It was a crack up watching the 1962 game with Crespi's juniors and sophs going against them in Encino, on youtube.

I hope the Friars stay competitive.

Ventura

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

downtothewire wrote:Often times a head coach is only as good as his staff. How good would MD be with Rollo and no Dave Money?
The OC and DC have no experience either. I like what I know of Gass, but it is unfair to ask anyone to coach this schedule and in this league with limited coaching experience. I hope I’m wrong.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm

I have a bad feeling. Inexperienced head coach and coordinators will have growing pains. People dreaming of 7 wins are overly optimistic. 5 wins is a great season this year. I predict 3-7, but a better 3-7 than last year if that makes any sense. Last year's 3-7 was embarassing in terms of how the team looked. I just cant expect a guy who has never called plays before to be really good at it right away. Most coordinators take time to understand the flow of the game and to understand situationally what plays work in what types of situations. Game experience teaches you that and the Servite staff has zero experience. Welch, Rollo and the others have been in every game situation conceivable in HS football and have dealt with HS level kids for years. You learn lots from that.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon May 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Friarjoe is that your name due to the fact you followed the greatful dead? Servite will do very well this year. Keep on truckin

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Mon May 20, 2013 3:59 pm

porkchop wrote:Friarjoe is that your name due to the fact you followed the greatful dead? Servite will do very well this year. Keep on truckin

What’s your definition of “very well”?