Servite to play four Top 25 Pre-season Teams

ventura

Re: Servite to play four Top 25 Pre-season Teams

Post by ventura » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 am

I don't think Ghogh, Porkchop or anyone else predicting great success for the Friars are being fair to a new HC playing six or seven of the top schools in the west, with a team coming off a 4-6 season. He could well fall very flat in his first season, and if Ghogh and Porkchop & Co come down hard on him, they're ignorant jerks.

If Servite is competitive in most of their games, and wins a few, you should count it as a success, applaud the new guy, and be reasonably comfortable that the future is positive. Thomas is a VERY competitive person, and some of you make it sound like he tried to lose games last year. Maybe tried to make it easy to leave? I dunno, but it would really suprise me. We'll see from Crespi's perspective if Thomas no longer has it as a coach this year, and we'll see from Servite's perspective how badly he may have messed up last year, if you guys are better than 6-4 or so this year.

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:44 am

ventura wrote:I don't think Ghogh, Porkchop or anyone else predicting great success for the Friars are being fair to a new HC playing six or seven of the top schools in the west, with a team coming off a 4-6 season. He could well fall very flat in his first season, and if Ghogh and Porkchop & Co come down hard on him, they're ignorant jerks.

If Servite is competitive in most of their games, and wins a few, you should count it as a success, applaud the new guy, and be reasonably comfortable that the future is positive. Thomas is a VERY competitive person, and some of you make it sound like he tried to lose games last year. Maybe tried to make it easy to leave? I dunno, but it would really suprise me. We'll see from Crespi's perspective if Thomas no longer has it as a coach this year, and we'll see from Servite's perspective how badly he may have messed up last year, if you guys are better than 6-4 or so this year.
My coming down hard on TT last season was not from losing but from quiting on his team. 3 and 7 isnt bad IF HC and players gave it their all, which the players held up their end. I can't imagine the HC this year will give up going into week 1. It's almost unfair to judge last years team due to the fact that TT never gave his team a fighting chance. Servite could go 0-10 which would be no problem as long as HC and players gave it 110%.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 am

"Servite could go 0-10 which would be no problem as long as HC and players gave it 110%."

That may be the case this year.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:10 pm

porkchop wrote:Servite will be 4-1 going into league,possible but not probable 5-0. Servite will be just fine this year. Who ever says they wont has no idea what they are talking about.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Some Friar backers are delusional. Here are the facts:

1. 1st year coach and 1st year offensive and defensive coordinator. They are going against some of the most experienced, smart and dedicated staffs around in Trinity League play as well as outside of league this year.

2. They were a bad team last year. The talent should be better this year but they are not overcoming the talent advantage many other schools on their schedule have over them.

3. They will be very heavy underdogs in at least 4 games. Gorman, Poly, DLS and Bosco. I cannot see them playing any of those teams tough except maybe Bosco just because there is a familiarity with a league rival. Gorman lost its QB but they have Randall Cunningham, Jr. at the helm. I hear the kid is an absolute beast and double threat just like his dad was in the NFL. Do not underestimate Gorman.

There is just too much to overcome schedule-wise this year so you really need to throw out the win-loss record as a meaningful barometer of this team. This team will be judged on how it plays and its league record. They have a chance to win 2 maybe 3 league games. If they win 3, they can get some playoff experience. Everything up until league doesn't mean much as far as wins/losses. This has to be the toughest schedule in the United States!

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Whatever friarjoe! I know players on gorman,they were my source of information. Its a rebuilding yr for them,they do not have the talent they did last yr, they will be lucky to end 5-5. Lbp will have athletes but getting them to play together at beginning of season will not happen. Dls is going to be tough,cunningham is no where near a beast and ill even say he is not as good as a qb as waller in any aspects. If our dline can step up in that game and a little luck,we could pull out a W. Boscoe will be a great game,anything can happen.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:50 pm

porkchop wrote:Whatever friarjoe! I know players on gorman,they were my source of information. Its a rebuilding yr for them,they do not have the talent they did last yr, they will be lucky to end 5-5. Lbp will have athletes but getting them to play together at beginning of season will not happen. Dls is going to be tough,cunningham is no where near a beast and ill even say he is not as good as a qb as waller in any aspects. If our dline can step up in that game and a little luck,we could pull out a W. Boscoe will be a great game,anything can happen.
And who will be starting on the D line?

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Only one i heard of so far is Tavi,freshman all american,his quickness at 290 can be game changing

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I love the optimism of Ghogh, Porkchop, Down to the wire, et al. I'm not nearly as sure as they seem to be, but I do think it's possible that they are right.

Let's face it, with that schedule, the "weakest" of our opponents has the ability to defeat us on a good night. Likewise, however, the opposite is also true (with the possible exception of DLS).

Servite has a great deal of talent. So do all of their opponents.

Gorman? I think Servite can hang with them this year. Yes, they did lose Starks to Colorado Mullen HS, but I think a much bigger loss was the los of defensive lineman Nacua to Timpview HS. Look at his hudl highlights last year against Servite. He killed us.Cunningham at Qb is a Jeykll and Hyde type of player according to some of their suppporters, prone to turnovers. He may turn out to be good, but is a definite step down from 4 yr starter Anu Solomon. Still, Gorman is the only Catholic school in S. Nevada and can reload... They should be favored.

LB Poly? Awesome talent. Should be favored against the Friars. Usually not as potent early in the year, and the Friars are 7-2 lifetime against them. Servite home game, I believe, but Poly should be favored.

La Mirada? Got some real talented guys but do they have enough of them? Friars slightly favored?

Edison? Always tough. Slightly down this season I hear, Servite improved this season. Friars lightly favored?

DLS? I think Servite wins this one...in 2014 maybe. Not this year probably.

MD? Returns a lot, and lost a lot. MD favored.

SM? Looking real good in 7 on 7's so far. I think they will be down this year though. Friars slightly favored I think.

O Lu? Won last year on physical strength on the O Line. Huge advantage that will not be there this year. Friars favored.

J Serra? J Serra was favored last year over the weakest Friar team they'd ever faced. Friars handled them 28-0. This will be the Lions best team ever. Friars improved also...Friars favored.

St. John Lakewood? Loaded. Friars huge underdogs.

If my favorites win that makes the Friars 5-5, 3-2 in league, and playoff bound. Admittedly one or more of Servite' s possible wins might not happen, but the Friars are probably good for an upset or two also. Can't wait!
Last edited by Lionhunter on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

BoscoWillBeBack

Post by BoscoWillBeBack » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:31 pm

FriarJoe wrote:Some Friar backers are delusional. Here are the facts:

1. 1st year coach and 1st year offensive and defensive coordinator. They are going against some of the most experienced, smart and dedicated staffs around in Trinity League play as well as outside of league this year.

2. They were a bad team last year. The talent should be better this year but they are not overcoming the talent advantage many other schools on their schedule have over them.

3. They will be very heavy underdogs in at least 4 games. Gorman, Poly, DLS and Bosco. I cannot see them playing any of those teams tough except maybe Bosco just because there is a familiarity with a league rival. Gorman lost its QB but they have Randall Cunningham, Jr. at the helm. I hear the kid is an absolute beast and double threat just like his dad was in the NFL. Do not underestimate Gorman.

There is just too much to overcome schedule-wise this year so you really need to throw out the win-loss record as a meaningful barometer of this team. This team will be judged on how it plays and its league record. They have a chance to win 2 maybe 3 league games. If they win 3, they can get some playoff experience. Everything up until league doesn't mean much as far as wins/losses. This has to be the toughest schedule in the United States!
Not quite Friar Joe.

Bergen Catholic of New Jersey is taking on 5 State champions

John Curtis (1# team in the nation last year by majority polls) Louisiana State Champs

Jordan of Utah 21# in the nation (St.John Bosco prevailed but gave them a scare) Utah State Champs

St.Josesph Preps #29 in the nation (SIAA New Jersey Champs)

Paramus Catholic #21 pre-ranked in polls (4A New Jersey Champs)

Bishop Gorman #25 pre-ranked in polls (Nevada State Champs)

And traditionally power Don Bosco Prep is on their schedule.

Now THATS what you call the toughest schedule in the United States!

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

porkchop wrote:Whatever friarjoe! I know players on gorman,they were my source of information. Its a rebuilding yr for them,they do not have the talent they did last yr, they will be lucky to end 5-5. Lbp will have athletes but getting them to play together at beginning of season will not happen. Dls is going to be tough,cunningham is no where near a beast and ill even say he is not as good as a qb as waller in any aspects. If our dline can step up in that game and a little luck,we could pull out a W. Boscoe will be a great game,anything can happen.
Did someone spinkle pixie dust all over the Servite roster or did they get a bunch of transfers that no one knows about?

The truth is Servite will lose 4 of their 5 pre-season games (DLS and Gorman will be blowouts) and squeak out a win or two (JSerra and maybe Olu) in league. That's it. Any more than that is wishing on a star.

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:50 pm

dont be that guy wrote:
Did someone spinkle pixie dust all over the Servite roster or did they get a bunch of transfers that no one knows about?

The truth is Servite will lose 4 of their 5 pre-season games (DLS and Gorman will be blowouts) and squeak out a win or two (JSerra and maybe Olu) in league. That's it. Any more than that is wishing on a star.
TT used all pixies dust last year on himself and team . We have great players he chose not to play them and used his 5 plays playbook. Servite will start league at 4-1 at the worst. This years coach wont be smoking CRACK.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:12 pm

GHOGH wrote:
TT used all pixies dust last year on himself and team . We have great players he chose not to play them and used his 5 plays playbook. Servite will start league at 4-1 at the worst. This years coach wont be smoking CRACK.
But you apparently are…there is absolutely no way Servite will be 4-1.

Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 pm

You Servite guys are crazy...there is only two league game that you will be favored in and that's OLU & JSerra, the rest, as it sits today, you will not be favored in.

If you somehow go .500, that would be a good season...I, on the other hand ,am a realist and believe you will finish below .500 and out of the playoffs again. I'm not a hater, just calling it like I see it.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:39 pm

porkchop wrote:Grinder you have a deal. 5-0 counts too,correct? Bishop Gorman will be the servite of last yr,they lost everyone and their big rb got kicked out of school. Lbp never starts strong and very undisciplined,la mirada is whatever,edison is whatever, then dls,this will be the tough one,head coach left could be an issue but oc took over after many yrs as oc so im not sure it will make a difference. Any change in hs fb counts. We shall see.
We’re on then. As soon as Servite loses their second game, you’re gone.

rvoltes5

Post by rvoltes5 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Trinitylguealum wrote:You Servite guys are crazy...there is only two league game that you will be favored in and that's OLU & JSerra, the rest, as it sits today, you will not be favored in.

If you somehow go .500, that would be a good season...I, on the other hand ,am a realist and believe you will finish below .500 and out of the playoffs again. I'm not a hater, just calling it like I see it.
Well, I just looked at the pre-season schedule for the rest of the Trinity league schools, and the only one that comes kind of close to Servite's schedule is Santa Margarita as they play Gorman as well. Other than that...c'mon.

Call Servite crazy, but IF we have a not so stellar record, that's because we played the best. And don't give me that excuse that "no one wants to play us" crap from you other trinity league schools. Our pre-season is proof of you look for it, you will find it.

Plus that schedule was TT's good-bye gift to Servite. And what did Gass do? Not even blink. LOVE IT!!!
"You must learn to master your fear, or else your fear will be your master." ~ RS

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Servite guys aren't crazy. Men worthy to be called men approach any undertaking with boldness and confidence. You prepare to win, believe in your ability, do your job, love your team, and play as hard as you can. That's what Servite will do this coming season, and with a team as talented as they are, Friar Faithful have no reason to doubt them.

Someone said not to underestimate Gorman. OC fans, underestimate Servite to your own cost.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:14 pm

downtothewire wrote:Servite guys aren't crazy. Men worthy to be called men approach any undertaking with boldness and confidence. You prepare to win, believe in your ability, do your job, love your team, and play as hard as you can. That's what Servite will do this coming season, and with a team as talented as they are, Friar Faithful have no reason to doubt them.

Someone said not to underestimate Gorman. OC fans, underestimate Servite to your own cost.
There's a big difference between being confident and being crazy.

BoscoWillBeBack

Post by BoscoWillBeBack » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:28 am

And also being delusional.

"Were gonna g0 9-1 m@yb3 @t b3st!!" - porkchop

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:37 am

rvoltes5 wrote:
Well, I just looked at the pre-season schedule for the rest of the Trinity league schools, and the only one that comes kind of close to Servite's schedule is Santa Margarita as they play Gorman as well. Other than that...c'mon.

Call Servite crazy, but IF we have a not so stellar record, that's because we played the best. And don't give me that excuse that "no one wants to play us" crap from you other trinity league schools. Our pre-season is proof of you look for it, you will find it.

Plus that schedule was TT's good-bye gift to Servite. And what did Gass do? Not even blink. LOVE IT!!!
I respect that Servite plays a ridiculously difficult schedule, but you have to win some of those tough games.

It's a little like La Habra a few years ago, they scheduled Servite and Olu in pre-season. You respect them for such a schedule but they lost, so what does it prove? That they can compete with the big boys but lose, well JSerra can do that too.

Scheduling DLS to take a beating just looks stupid. It won't make you better, just ask the teams in No Cal who get killed season after season.