Fact or Fiction on Servite, MD, MV, SM, SJB

Ocrckstar

Fact or Fiction on Servite, MD, MV, SM, SJB

Post by Ocrckstar »

There are quite a few discussions circling around these boards that I find very interesting. The one that interest me the most is the speculation into this years top area football teams (I'm including SJB for Trinity League arguments sake). From a very impartial view point, here is my OPINION based on seeing all these teams last year, and what I forecast for this year. Are the following statements fact or fiction? (this should be fun)

Servite: Wasn't even competitive last year. Will they improve this year...? It would be impossible not to. They will be a better football team , but not even close to the team they will need to be to compete against their pre-season and Trinity schedules. I pick them 4th or 5th in Trinity behind SJB, MD, OL and possibly SM (but that's a toss up). I know there are quite a few Friar lovers in here...But this a new era for Servite and nothing leads me to believe this team is at any level near MD or SJB.

MD: They overachieved last year. They caught SM after Stanton went down and didn't exactly blow them out in that game...They should have. struggled against some teams they shouldn't have and beat some teams they weren't expected to beat. That tells me they were young in many areas and will be better this year. I know their JV and Freshman teams were legit...So I forecast MD to be very strong and finish second in Trinity to SJB.

MV: "This is the best team BJ has ever had?" Familiar ring to it I know, but this year it may actually be close to true. At every position they should be as good if not better than their opponents on the field. The test will be in execution and avoiding injuries. They have a serious combination of skill and power players that will be hard to overcome. I forecast this team will play the New Jersey team tough and possibly beat them. They will blow through the South Coast League and deep into the playoffs.

SM: There is a lot of wishful thinking about Welch's ability to win with any team he coaches. He is a proven winner without question, but this year is going to be tough for him because he simply doesn't have the horses in the stable. Transfers and key seniors graduating along with a schedule filled with potholes leave this team in a world of hurt. They just don't have enough talent or depth to compete (and win) against MD or SJB in 2013. Forecast...They will be lucky to finish 3rd, probably 4th in Trinity behind SJB, MD, and OL. They will miss the playoffs this year at SM.

SJB: Big, strong, fast, transfers into the program and a great coach. They return some key skill players and some studs on defense. It all looks like it's over on paper...I think they are the class of the Trinity league and should walk into the playoffs after being battle tested in one of the toughest leagues around, but I'm not completely sold on crowning them yet. They were surprised by Long Beach Poly's speed and tenacity last year in the "fog bowl", and were exposed in that particular game. I forecast that they will be upset in the semi finals even with others sizing them up for State Championship rings this year.
downtothewire

Re: Fact or Fiction on Servite, MD, MV, SM, SJB

Post by downtothewire »

Servite will be 7-3 this upcoming season with losses to DLS, MD, and SJB.

The rest of the schedule is completely winnable with the talent on hand. Not sure why people are predicting doom and gloom. Seems many are basing their opinions on the 2012 team.
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

I notice this post is all about the Trinity and MV. I'm guessing you are a Diablo supporter. Not a bad forecast, but in my opinion, you don't give enough credit to J Serra. CalPreps says they take 3rd this year in the Trinity. I don't think so, but they could.

And Orange Lutheran has about as much chance of finishing in the top 3, as Servite has of finishing 2nd. IMHO.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

2013 Servite Schedule
Bishop Gorman - L
Long Beach Poly - L
La Mirada - W
Edison - W
De La Salle - L
Mater Dei - L
Santa Margarita - W
Orange Lutheran - W
JSerra - W
St. John Bosco - L

5-5 is the best case scenario. There is a strong chance that they lose to Edison, SM and/or Olu.

7-3 is extremely unlikely.
GHOGH

Post by GHOGH »

dont be that guy wrote:2013 Servite Schedule
Bishop Gorman - L
Long Beach Poly - L
La Mirada - W
Edison - W
De La Salle - L
Mater Dei - L
Santa Margarita - W
Orange Lutheran - W
JSerra - W
St. John Bosco - L

5-5 is the best case scenario. There is a strong chance that they lose to Edison, SM and/or Olu.

Bishop Gorman w 35- 21
Lbp. W 42-21
La mirada. W 35-0
Edison. W 21- 0
De la salle. W 28-21
Mater dei. W 35-21
Santa margarita W 35-21
Orange lutheran W 35- 17
Jserra. W 42-10
St John bosco. W 28-21
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

GHOGH

Post by GHOGH »

joefutbol wrote:Image
I know 7-3 what is he thinking.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

GHOGH wrote: I know 7-3 what is he thinking.
La Mirada has a solid line, a four star WR, the #1 TE in the United States, and a quarterback who will go to whatever college he wants. Oh, and they just got a RB transfer from Bosco. How do you figure Servite shuts them out?

And how do you figure they put up 42 on Poly? Servite will pass a ton this year, and Poly might have the best defensive backfield in the country.
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

dont be that guy wrote:2013 Servite Schedule

I don't think any of those "W"s are a sure thing. Likewise, Servite is capable of upset wins in some of the games you labeled with "L"s. Ask Rancho Cucamonga.

Under your scenarios, Servite finishes 3rd, and makes the playoffs.
dont be that guy

[/quote]I don't think any of those "W"s are a sure thing. Likewise, Servite is capable of upset wins in some of the games you labeled with "L"s. Ask Rancho Cucamonga.

Under your scenarios, Servite finishes 3rd, and makes the playoffs.[/quote]

Servite is not capable of beating Gorman, Poly, DLS, SJB, or MD. Huge difference between Rancho Cucamonga and those teams...and yes, if they can beat SM and Olu they would make the playoffs (and those games are toss-ups.)
Trinitylguealum

Post by Trinitylguealum »

The only toss up is OLU....
GHOGH

Post by GHOGH »

dont be that guy wrote:
I don't think any of those "W"s are a sure thing. Likewise, Servite is capable of upset wins in some of the games you labeled with "L"s. Ask Rancho Cucamonga.

Under your scenarios, Servite finishes 3rd, and makes the playoffs.[/quote]

Servite is not capable of beating Gorman, Poly, DLS, SJB, or MD. Huge difference between Rancho Cucamonga and those teams...and yes, if they can beat SM and Olu they would make the playoffs (and those games are toss-ups.)[/quote]

What's the huge difference from RC and the teams you mention besides the HC actually calling plays to win with the right players?
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

People are way too high on Gorman.
GHOGH

Post by GHOGH »

Last season for Servite was should be investigated lol. For those that saw practice knows they were better then their record 3-7 record. A team will go as far as the HC wants them to go
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

dont be that guy wrote:
Servite is not capable of beating Gorman, Poly, DLS, SJB, or MD. Huge difference between Rancho Cucamonga and those teams...and yes, if they can beat SM and Olu they would make the playoffs (and those games are toss-ups.)
Don't be so quick to write off the Friars against Bishop Gorman. Yes BG was rated 44th in the nation last year and Cucamonga was #273 per CalPreps. And yes, BG is still better than Cucamonga this year because both teams are down this year. Gorman is rated #107 nationally and Servite coming off that 3-7 record is at #243 this season.

BG lost their 4 yr starter at QB, Star running back Nathan Starks (expelled), and star defensive end Nacua (transferred). Last year's JV team had only one loss...to Servite. So again, not quite the mismatch most people think.

LB Poly always starts slowly each year. Servite is 7-2 against Poly (3-0 2005-present).
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

Trinitylguealum wrote:The only toss up is OLU....
Yeah, right! Dream on.
dont be that guy

"What's the huge difference from RC and the teams you mention besides the HC actually calling plays to win with the right players?"

RC is a decent local team, those teams are perennial nationally relevant teams. Huge difference. Also keep in mind that Gorman is depleted and Poly starts slow but Servite has a new staff and new offense, not a great recipe for a fast start. They have to pray that their Defense can hold up until the offense comes along.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Joe don't know,
4STAR WR? More like a over hyped 5th year sr. How does that happen, from Dallis Shipp to Dallis Todd?
# 1 TE in the state? More Hype, the people at soldier field and USC COACHES refer to Latua as NOT motivated,& soft. QB WILL GO WHEREVER HE WANTS? Looks like he already did, He picked up and moved from Sweden and moved in with the Mayor of La Mirada....Hype! Also, Lonell Woodhouse the "TRANSFER" from Bosco was expelled for disciplinary actions, shouldn't be elgible??
Servite will crush them.
28-3 :slapfight:
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

I didn't make the rankings, doofus.

Dallas Shipp is a 4 star WR -
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=6758122

Tyler Luatua is rated no lower than 3rd in the country (I never said state) by any recruiting service.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... order/true

Kevin Dillman has tons of offers and is only a junior.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=6148380

What I do know is they laid the pipe on your team last year.
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

joefutbol wrote:People are way too high on Gorman.
I agree, and its not that I think Gorman will be a bad team, but I think people are underestimating what the loss of their QB will do. Cunningham Jr. has some big shoes to fill. And losing Starks was huge as well, that was a reliable starter that would have taken a ton of pressure off of Cunningham.

Gorman is good, but my belief is Servite will get them this year.