Welch done after 2013

cruiser
Posts: 3008
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by cruiser »

It seems rather strange that with the largest incoming frosh class in SM history that there would be
only 36 (committed), so far entering the FB program, this seems a drastic reduction from the 50-60+,
that SM usually gets, can this be contributed all to Harry?

It appears to me, for whatever reason, the great majority of athletes that enter SM go in for
the so-called minor sports then the considered major one's, re: FB, BasktB, BB, on the boys side at
least, no?
Last edited by cruiser on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luca
Posts: 6668
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Luca »

credofriar wrote:I had heard from insiders that harry was done this summer but ...........
But you were wrong, credo. He's a 68-year-old coach ready for retirement who is going to coach for one more year, your insiders notwithstanding.
credofriar wrote:...... Enrollment which is way down this year......
But enrollment is not down this year. The school to my understanding is near capacity.
credofriar wrote:sm has a very black eye, especially amongst football families in south county because ............
I live in South County, and this is news to me. Enrollment, as pointed out, is near capacity.
credofriar wrote: FYI jserra knew this was coming down the pipe which is why they gave jim the AD title a few weeks back. they are paying him to much for him to leave to SM.
JSerra gave the AD job back to Coach Hartigan because he's an excellent administrator and reliable. They've had trouble keeping ADs. He doesn't particularly want to be the athletic director and if the JSerra administration wanted to preempt Santa Margarita all they had to do was up the ante, not make him AD.
credofriar wrote:it has gotten progressively worse every year. this year having less than 40 is an all-time low. according to the football website harry's first year they were in the high 60's. wins have gone up surely but the "program" has deteriorated. .
As someone who has followed the program since 1997 I can reassure you that in no way has the program deteriorated over the last three years, quite obviously the contrary. During Coach Welch's three years SM has averaged 53 freshman football players. Over the previous nine years they had averaged 47. You are incorrect.
credofriar wrote:It's sad harry ........has brought the SM program to were it is comparing itself to jserra. .
Nobody other than you is comparing the Santa Margarita program to JSerra's.

Your posts are so filled with demonstrable inaccuracies and unprovable hearsay that I have to question your motivation in posting all your "insider" information.

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." Ludwig Wittgenstein
Trinitylguealum
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Trinitylguealum »

It appears to me, for whatever reason, the great majority athletes that enter SM go in for
the so-called minor sports then the considered major one's, re: FB, BasktB, BB, on the boys side at
least, no?[/quote]
You are correct with two additions...Lacrosse has taken many who would have played football, and soccer to a much smaller scale.
credofriar
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:35 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by credofriar »

SHOCKED Mr. Kid Doc has come to save SM
credofriar wrote:
I had heard from insiders that harry was done this summer but ...........
But you were wrong, credo. He's a 68-year-old coach ready for retirement who is going to coach for one more year, your insiders notwithstanding.

I admitted to being wrong. like I said he fought tooth and nail to let him finish out the year. when harry takes another job next off-season you should STFU.. but I am sure you wont.

credofriar wrote:
...... Enrollment which is way down this year......
But enrollment is not down this year. The school to my understanding is near capacity.
I was saying that freshman enrollment was down. that directly from my good buddy ray. I will call him again and ask him. as for upper classman I do not know

credofriar wrote:
sm has a very black eye, especially amongst football families in south county because ............
I live in South County, and this is news to me. Enrollment, as pointed out, is near capacity.
that's because you head is so far up your a$$, harry's a$$ and jim's a$$ you wouldn't get it.

credofriar wrote:
FYI jserra knew this was coming down the pipe which is why they gave jim the AD title a few weeks back. they are paying him to much for him to leave to SM.
JSerra gave the AD job back to Coach Hartigan because he's an excellent administrator and reliable. They've had trouble keeping ADs. He doesn't particularly want to be the athletic director and if the JSerra administration wanted to preempt Santa Margarita all they had to do was up the ante, not make him AD.
Our AD is a big fan of Hartigan and has nothing but great things to say about him. That was my own take. Although Harry leaving has been going around the Trinity League circles for over a month now.

credofriar wrote:
it has gotten progressively worse every year. this year having less than 40 is an all-time low. according to the football website harry's first year they were in the high 60's. wins have gone up surely but the "program" has deteriorated. .

As someone who has followed the program since 1997 I can reassure you that in no way has the program deteriorated over the last three years, quite obviously the contrary. During Coach Welch's three years SM has averaged 53 freshman football players. Over the previous nine years they had averaged 47. You are incorrect.
In all those years has SM every had to cancel B team games because of a lack of players? NO. Are they this year YES! And you were following them well before 1997.


credofriar wrote:
It's sad harry ........has brought the SM program to were it is comparing itself to jserra. .
Nobody other than you is comparing the Santa Margarita program to JSerra's.
no one of your fellow SM posters said the Trinity is going to cancel B games because JSerra does not have enough guys to fill out a B team, which is true. He was stating "it's just not us, but JS too. That is a fellow SM posters comparing SM problems to JS problems. :giggle:

Your posts are so filled with demonstrable inaccuracies and unprovable hearsay that I have to question your motivation in posting all your "insider" information.
To bash SM, that's why! Surprised to could not figure that out :eh?:
dont be that guy
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by dont be that guy »

credofriar,

You took up a lot of space to make zero relevant points (other than you hate SM for some reason.)
1. You were wrong
2. You were wrong
3. Insult, then you were wrong
4. Hartigan is the AD at JSerra because he's good at it. Welch leaving had nothing to do with it. You were wrong.
5. and 6. Apparently, SM has a small Freshamn Football team, so a 25 year Varsity head coach is asked to leave because they cannot field a B team? Probably not true.

Give the guy his due. He gets it done. The guy is pushing 70 years old, survived prostate cancer, and won 3 state titles.
Mr. Grady
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Mr. Grady »

Nobody from the existing SM varsity staff will be retained for 2014 let alone hired as the next HC. Ain't happening.
Luca
Posts: 6668
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Luca »

credofriar wrote: I admitted to being wrong.

Well, that's rather the point, isn't it? Despite your insider information and warm, close personal relationship with Mr. Dunne you didn't know what you were talking about. That along with your avowed motivation "To bash SM, that's why!" means that you have the credibility of Barbara Boxer at a Mensa conference.

credofriar wrote:I was saying that freshman enrollment was down. that directly from my good buddy ray.

So what you meant was that despite the school being at near capacity the freshman enrollment is down from previous years and the latter - but not the former - is held to be the responsibility of the football coach? Thanks for clearing up that bit of confusion.

credofriar wrote:Our AD is a big fan of Hartigan and has nothing but great things to say about him. That was my own take.

And you were wrong once more. Meaning that you are about as reliable as your insider sources.

credofriar wrote:In all those years has SM every had to cancel B team games because of a lack of players? NO. Are they this year YES!

So, they have their best three year record ever in Division I, they win the CIF and state championship with an average state ranking of 8th and have a national preseason number one ranking ....... but the program has deteriorated because you say - based on those legendary sources of yours - they won't have a freshman B team next year?

credofriar wrote:that's because you head is so far up your a$$, harry's a$$ and jim's a$$ you wouldn't get it.

I am of course always impressed when one anonymously types like a hardass while securely ensconced behind his computer screen. More so when employing such impeccable logic and sophisticated reasoning. I'll admit that at first I thought you were just another pom pom holder more interested in a pointless drama queen gossip than actual HSFB, but your impressive grasp of rhetoric has proven otherwise.

You know, credo, I enjoy discussing HSFB but I really don't give a damn about the administrative melodrama, especially when promulgated by someone of dubious motivation and insight. I like to watch the games and follow the development of the players, but the reality TV aspect of it you can have yourself.........Luca
Trinitylguealum
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Trinitylguealum »

[Blockquote[quote="Mr. Grady"]Nobody from the existing SM varsity staff will be retained for 2014 let alone hired as the next HC. Ain't happening.

Please stop posting like you're in the know....you're not
User avatar
ARF
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by ARF »

Luca,

:-$ SHHHHH! ..... "pointless drama queen gossip" ..... STOP STOP!!!

It is the off season - - what else do the bone heads have to "contribute"! :yawn

Arf
Mr. Grady
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Mr. Grady »

Nobody from the existing varsity staff will be retained. All ties to the Welch era will be cut. It's been decided already.

Do you think my announcement several days ago that this will be Welch's last year was a guess or a coincidence? Heck no. Of course I know what's going on Trinity. Geez.
hit the lights
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by hit the lights »

Asante is no fool, he knew that Welch would be done, and he'd be right there to pick up the pieces....
CALCULATED! I must say, he is a top notch recruiter. He will tap into sand diego area too.
OCEANSIDE,HELIX,ELCAMINO,MORSE,RANCHO BUENA VISTA, along with all his L.A. connections. :eh?:
Dan Patrick
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Dan Patrick »

hit the lights wrote:Asante is no fool, he knew that Welch would be done, and he'd be right there to pick up the pieces....
CALCULATED! I must say, he is a top notch recruiter. He will tap into sand diego area too.
OCEANSIDE,HELIX,ELCAMINO,MORSE,RANCHO BUENA VISTA, along with all his L.A. connections. :eh?:
Not possible, as according to Luca, the SMeagles don't recruit.....
dont be that guy
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by dont be that guy »

Not possible, as according to Luca, the SMeagles don't recruit.....[/quote]

If they do, they suck at it. All they do is develop kids for MV to recruit.
scootermcray
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by scootermcray »

Unless SM is successful at replenishing their big guys up front, they are going to have a tough time against bigger, more physical teams. They had some horses in the past, but initial feedback is that they are lacking size this year (and for years to come).
Dan Patrick
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Dan Patrick »

dont be that guy wrote:Not possible, as according to Luca, the SMeagles don't recruit.....
If they do, they suck at it. All they do is develop kids for MV to recruit.[/quote]

Don't believe there is a whole lot of "recruiting" necessary to get SMeagle players to MV.

I know it's a difficult concept for SMeagle supporters to grasp, the fact that kids actually want to play anywhere else but the hallowed halls of SMCHS, but it's true.
dont be that guy
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by dont be that guy »

"Don't believe there is a whole lot of "recruiting" necessary to get SMeagle players to MV.

I know it's a difficult concept for SMeagle supporters to grasp, the fact that kids actually want to play anywhere else but the hallowed halls of SMCHS, but it's true."

I would be believe that if they transferred to other places as well. They don't. Only Mission. Why? It's not like they are going to superior program (or school for that matter. Mission is a dump compared to SM) In a majority of the cases the kids had scholarships or were getting heavily recruited. So it's not that.

Maybe because it's free?
Last edited by dont be that guy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckW
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:10 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by BuckW »

Hey DanPatrick can you confirm that a Basketball/football player just transferred back to SM from MV. I guess the grass is not always greener at the farm.
Dan Patrick
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Dan Patrick »

BuckW wrote:Hey DanPatrick can you confirm that a Basketball/football player just transferred back to SM from MV. I guess the grass is not always greener at the farm.
Bucky- can neither confirm nor deny, but pretty sure that you shouldn't be using the words "grass" and "SM" in the same sentence.... #-o
Mr. Grady
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by Mr. Grady »

Robinson Ranch, Walden, Rancho Cielo, Dove Canyon and parts of Coto and RSM are within walking distance of SM but also lie within the Mission attendance boundary even though Trabuco is in most cases considerably closer and easier to get to. These are areas that produce a majority of the SM students and if those kids leave for a public option they naturally go to Mission because that's where they're supposed to go. These neighborhoods have the right socio-economics to support strong programs both prvate and public.
dont be that guy
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Welch done after 2013

Post by dont be that guy »

Mr. Grady wrote:Robinson Ranch, Walden, Rancho Cielo, Dove Canyon and parts of Coto and RSM are within walking distance of SM but also lie within the Mission attendance boundary even though Trabuco is in most cases considerably closer and easier to get to. These are areas that produce a majority of the SM students and if those kids leave for a public option they naturally go to Mission because that's where they're supposed to go. These neighborhoods have the right socio-economics to support strong programs both prvate and public.
Tesoro is where those kids are supposed to go.
Post Reply