In case you were looking for Asante????

CotodeCaza

Re: In case you were looking for Asante????

Post by CotodeCaza »

Okay let's clarify rule 510 directly from the blue book:

Undue influence is any act, gesture or communication (including accepting material or financial inducement to attend a CIF member school for the purpose of engaging in CIF competition regardless of the source) which is performed personally, or through another, which may be objectively seen as an inducement, or part of a process of inducing a student, or his or her parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver, by or on behalf of, a member school, to enroll in, transfer to, or remain in, a particular school for athletic purposes.

According to this rule there is clearly NO inducement of any kind which means there is NO pledge or promise made.

1. Asante didn't name any student or parent in any of his posts
2. Asante didn't make any statements about anyone enrolling in SM.
3. Being a SM Parent I know Asante made these statements as an assessment of what his team needs to beat MD, Bosco and Servite. He’s the RB Coach at SM and his running backs follow him on Facebook. He was challenging his running backs to be a top notch player.

There's no need to try and read anything into that's not there. You're wasting your time.
NorthOC

Post by NorthOC »

#2 You said he didn't make any comment on a student enrolling into SM?

Go to his facebook I believe he says "Jeremy McNichols is simply a Beast!
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

What I don't understand is why a school would suspend a coach who was doing exactly what he was hired to do.

When you hire Harry Welch, you win championships and get some negative controversy. When you hire Elijah Asante, you get lots of wins and some negative controversy. I guess we'll find out what happens when you hire both.
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

This is just bad news for SMCHS...This will not end well...
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

I can't believe Asante was so sloppy to discuss high school players on Facebook that way. He must really be feeling himself right now.
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

Luca, you are a respected poster on these boards but your post makes you sound like an apologist. Your post sounds like a legal argument that his attorney would make on his behalf in defense of the allegations. Clearly the guy is bad news and I am fairly surprised a school like SM would hire him. I don't know what his official title is on the staff (special teams coordinator or assistant QB coach or something like that) but to me he is basically a recruiting coordinator. His whole attitude about focusing on bringing in new "recruits" or ahem..."transfers" versus coaching up the kids you have goes against the philosophy of most right minded private schools. Why SM would want that in their coaching fraternity is beyond me but clearly we know where they stand now don't we? (which is one step closer to the Bosco side of the street).
BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon »

because this was turned into CIF. it is how they are getting CIF off their back since they are "self-disciplining" their own coach. if this was NOT turned into cif you would have not heard anything about it. this is what asante was hired to do. the suspension is to save face.
Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter »

How feasible is this scenario?

Harry hires Assante to bring in transfers from his sphere of influence (speedy skill players from LA County).

The SM administration knew nothing about it.

The SM administration finds out, doesn't approve, and decides it's the last straw, and reaches an agreement with Harry that he will resign at the end of this season.

Assante is suspended to take the heat off of SM over this, (but not fired, so as not to draw too much attention).

When SM chooses next year's staff, Assante will not only NOT be head coach, he will be no part of the new staff.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
TrippMcNeilly

Post by TrippMcNeilly »

Wah Wah Wah Transfer

Boo Hoo Hoo They Recruit

Wah Wah Wah My School Doesnt Do This

It Seems We See These Posts Year After YeaR.

Don't You Guys Ever Get Sick Of This CraP?

Does Anyone Ever Come Here To Talk About Football?
I am the devil, and I am here to do the devils work
ElmerFudd

Post by ElmerFudd »

I believe you are spot on Luca.

Time will tell.
Dan Patrick

Post by Dan Patrick »

"Re: In case you were looking for Asante????
Post by FriarJoe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:28 am

Luca, you are a respected poster on these boards but your post makes you sound like an apologist. Your post sounds like a legal argument that his attorney would make on his behalf in defense of the allegations. Clearly the guy is bad news and I am fairly surprised a school like SM would hire him. I don't know what his official title is on the staff (special teams coordinator or assistant QB coach or something like that) but to me he is basically a recruiting coordinator. His whole attitude about focusing on bringing in new "recruits" or ahem..."transfers" versus coaching up the kids you have goes against the philosophy of most right minded private schools. Why SM would want that in their coaching fraternity is beyond me but clearly we know where they stand now don't we? (which is one step closer to the Bosco side of the street)."

+100
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

CotodeCaza wrote:Okay let's clarify rule 510 directly from the blue book:

Undue influence is any act, gesture or communication (including accepting material or financial inducement to attend a CIF member school for the purpose of engaging in CIF competition regardless of the source) which is performed personally, or through another, which may be objectively seen as an inducement, or part of a process of inducing a student, or his or her parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver, by or on behalf of, a member school, to enroll in, transfer to, or remain in, a particular school for athletic purposes.

According to this rule there is clearly NO inducement of any kind which means there is NO pledge or promise made.

1. Asante didn't name any student or parent in any of his posts
2. Asante didn't make any statements about anyone enrolling in SM.
3. Being a SM Parent I know Asante made these statements as an assessment of what his team needs to beat MD, Bosco and Servite. He’s the RB Coach at SM and his running backs follow him on Facebook. He was challenging his running backs to be a top notch player.

There's no need to try and read anything into that's not there. You're wasting your time.

Actually the Facebook posts would fall into all three of the categories of undue influence. The announcement that the RB coach is looking for RB's utilizing a public forum amounts to a broadcast solicitation and IS a part of the process of inducement. I would point out that a catholic program should abstain from even the appearance of evil, and should have policy regarding such matters. Unfortunately there is a history and this kind of thing amounts to a set back in changing perceptions.

I would keep your day job, if you are a lawyer your wife must have the money because you are not living off large jury awards. This is why it is always a bad idea to represent your self in such matters.

Just on the face of it, given that coaches have been advised not to use public forums, post etc., just bad judgment on Assante's part, even the people in the discussion on FB know it is a violation and acknowledge it in the posts, and by extension does not reflect well on SM. It is funny how the one's that point out the faults of others are usually guilty themselves. The hypocrisy of some of the SM poster's when it comes to assertions about other programs, when viewed through the continuous episodes of various allegations centered around their football program, seems in exhaustible. All fall short and it would be wise for all to take heed while you stand, lest you fall.

Hopefully it is a slap on the wrist, EA dials it back, follows the rules and helps the program attract quality players so SM can win. The purity of HSFB as often recounted of a by gone era, is now relegated to youth football and even then you get stackers putting together non organic teams. Unfortunate yes, but as SM has proven from the open house event before HW held a practice until now belies the SM does not recruit line. Very hard to believe given the recent history and to add injury to insult, SM is not good at it. If you hire good coaches, support them, utilize the tools that conform to CIF rules, you can build a program that attracts great players and establish a winning tradition. Tom Brady was asked why he has not won a super bowl in 8 yrs, his response was "it's hard to win a super bowl" I would say the same about the PAC 5.
SuperChargers

Post by SuperChargers »

It's about time SM joined the game. You got Jserra offering tuition free scholarships from Oceanside to Corona, Bosco recruitng all of L.A. County, Mission Viejo's recruiting network spanning from Calabasass to San Juan Capistrano, Servite running the Corona connection for years and Mater Dei with their booster club scholarships going to athletes with questionable GPA's. If SM plans on competing with the powers of Pac 5 football they better bring in more than one RB from lakewood.
SuperChargers

Post by SuperChargers »

Servite supporters don't like CredoFriar because they know as well as most others on this board that CredoFriar is actually a JSerra Dad. Jserra knows that the only way they can survive in football is to tear down SM and try to bring in football players and their parents that plan on attending SM. Hell there is a Jserra Dad that spends so much time following 7th and 8th graders at Serra Catholic School in SM that I'm surprised he has not been arrested for stalking.
socalfootballfan

Post by socalfootballfan »

I am just surprised that SM did something before the season as they have a history of waiting till it hits the media and then deciding to act. Also, what good does it do to "Suspend" a coach during summer?
Luca

Post by Luca »

BoscoBandWagon wrote:quite understandable you are not a facebook pro Luca. this was not a conversation between friends. this was SENT OUT to his 1,000+ "friends" showing Tyler Prenovost working out AND letting RB's know they have an opening. ask one of you kids exactly how a post like this works.

if you look at his facebook page he is friends with many parents and players of current players throughout OC..
No, I'm not a Facebook pro. I don't know much about the thing and have never had a Facebook page. I didn't realize that what he was saying was being sent out to others. It initially sounded to me like a private conversation with friends, but that looks very unlikely at this point. It's not even the kind of thing you should joke about on a public forum as a coach........

I have always told my kids it takes years to build a reputation but you can trash it in seconds. I have never supported this type of behavior and cannot understand why Coach Welch or the administration would permit something so blatant, especially knowing in advance that this coach had a reputation for skirting CIF regulations.

Tolerating this type of behavior sends a very bad message regarding the school and its willingness to abide by the rules. We all know there are other schools that look the other way but Santa Margarita has, apparently until now, attempted to maintain a higher standard.

I'm not an insider of any program and - mostly by choice - I'm not privy to a lot of details, but I have been an observer for a long time. The last 20 years have seen a significant deterioration in the integrity of HSFB and I would hate to see Santa Margarita allow itself to be perceived as joining the dark side.

Though not an insider, I can guarantee that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that Coach Asante will ever be the head coach at Santa Margarita. I also doubt that few if any of these purported football transfers will actually pass the admissions department and get into the school.

Sometimes you gotta step back and realize "C'mon....it's just a fornicating game for a bunch of teenagers." The real value is in the lessons the kids learn, not the victories earned.........Luca
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Mc Nichols is a WR from Lakewood, not a RB. this is about somebody being a hater on SM
Like some have said above, Mission, MD, sevite, Jserra, etc.. have all been doing this for years.
RECRUITING, The difference is.... they are smarter about it. Where is Coach Patton, maybe he will take the job next year? Clean house!! :hide:
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

hit the lights wrote:Mc Nichols is a WR from Lakewood, not a RB. this is about somebody being a hater on SM
Like some have said above, Mission, MD, sevite, Jserra, etc.. have all been doing this for years.
RECRUITING, The difference is.... they are smarter about it. Where is Coach Patton, maybe he will take the job next year? Clean house!! :hide:
Could you image the haters that Coach Patton would bring out after the Lapes scandal at SC. The best bets for the job at SM are Grady, Logan or Hartigan.
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Lionhunter had it pretty close and Luca is right about Asante's future. To be clear, nodody from the current SM varsity staff will be the head coach in 2014. Guaranteed. There may be opportunities for some current and former JV and frosh staffers to have rolls moving forward such as McIntosh and Sweet but thats about it. Nate Longshore will not be invited back in any capacity and Jeff Grady will move on to bigger and better things.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Luca, I think for a very long time the higher standard thought would have applied with the adminn and coaching staffs of the past. I think the higher standard thought left town with the failure to fire/suspend/ inform parents of coaches who it seems were deemed to important to the program after their drug arrest. Not until the Story came out in the paper did they want to admit to it, and would have continued to cover it up as if nothing had happen.
Hopefully, with the next staff and lessons learned by the admin there will be a turn around. Everyone makes mistakes, it is do they learn from them and use them to make better choices down the road.